“Loved it!!”

Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Had a great time. Amazing hotel. Walked into the lobby, Thievery Corporation on the speakers, I knew I was home...The staff were super friendly and helpful. My room was just right. Good size, king bed, contemporary style bath and setting. My own little porch and chair right in front of the beach. Totally chill vibe and setting. The bar that goes with it, The Sandbar, was dope! Sandy floors, great food, cold beer, awesome music, strong margaritas and fun bartenders.. Amazing guacamole! I was to be there for 4 days but because of hurricane Irene i was "stuck" and extra 3.. The staff made my extra days just as great. Loned me a bike, showed me around a bit, great tips on where to go and what to do...

Obviously, can't wait to go back with the Fam (in January) If you're looking a boutique stlye hotel, with chill vibe and a contemporary setting o the beach away from the Cancun madness, you have struck gold!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Last month my wife and I had the best vacation we ever had at El Pez. From the time we arrived till the time we left (11 days later) our experience could not have been better. Ashley and her staff went out of the way to accomodate us. Each morning we were treated to fresh fruit and a delicious breakfast which got the days off to a great start. The view from our room was breathtaking. The water was a beautiful clear blue/green . The room accomodations were perfect. The beds were as comfortable as at any resort we have ever stayed and the ocean breezes were so refreshing. Adjacent to El Pez was a restaurant (on the beach) called the "Sandbar". On Friday nights they had live music with a "great" jazz three piece band. The location of El Pez is very close to many Aztec ruin sites which we visited.
If I have one recommendation to anyone reading this review, do yourself a favor and visit Mexico and STAY AT EL PEZ. !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I could not in my sweetest dreams have imagined a more magical place then El Pez and Tulum. The beaches are not to be believed, they are beautiful white sand and the ocean has layers of blues and greens that you can only find in a box of 64 crayons. We had an amazing breeze, sunny days and spectacular waves the whole week. We were there during the rainy season, but it only rained a short time the last full day we were there, and it is was a specatular thing to behold. The manager of the hotel, Ashley is psychic, she knows what you need before you do. She is gracious and kind and will make you feel at ease and at home. She knows the ins and outs of this region and can direct you to anything you want to do. The magical essence of El Pez is a reflection of Ashley. The whold staff are incredibly kind and helpful and go out of their way to provide whatever is needed. The food in this part of the country is world class gourmet, restaurants are VERY serious about their food. We felt completely safe in Tulum and Ashely is from the states so she speaks English and is fluent with her Spanish as well. We took our 8 year old daughter and she had the time of her life. The snorkeling is spectacular, and the cenotes offer the most refreshing swimming. I would pack up my family, sell all my possesions and move to this part of the world if I could figure out how to do it. The day after we got back from our trip, my husband came across an article talking about this part of the world being one of the 50 top destinations in the world to vacation. Give yourself this gift, if you are even considering vacationing in the Mayan Riviera. This is a very special place, you will leave rejuvinated and feel your spirit renewed, but beware, entry back into the world you left behind is very difficult. This place will make you want to change your life

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank chrisjaneap
Mesa, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed for one night while traveling through Costa Maya and Riviera Maya. Did not have reservations but one look at the lobby, hotel rooms and cabanas was all it took to know this would be a relaxing and comfortable stay. Staff very friendly and helpful. Nearby restaurant served fantastic food and had great music. Breakfast was included and was excellent. Would recommend to all- quiet for couples but turtle cove lends for exploring for all, including families.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank KandL1991
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2011

The holiday was incredible starting from the amazing welcome to the spectacular location and well appointed, comfortable room. We had a very large room with a balcony overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. Every morning we had a different Mexican style breakfast served fresh and hot in the large dining area/lounge. This made for a great start to each day. The close of the day was spent in what can only be described as the perfect beach bar. Called the Sand Bar, it is built right on the sand at the waters edge. Every night we could watch the moon rise over the sea and enjoy some of the finest Margaritas ever tasted. The bar staff were very helpful and fun. A great place weather you are 21 or 51. We would definitely come back to El Pez.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank HowieP50
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We almost didn't stay at this relatively new hotel- there weren't a lot of reviews on it, and it appeared to be on a rocky stretch of beach. My boyfriend and I could NOT have been happier to have picked this place.

We stayed in June, so it was very quiet. If you want a lot of attention, this is not your place. We barely even saw Carmen, who runs the front desk. She was extremely sweet but didn't speak a lot of English. But it didn't matter- our room was amazing, cleaned to perfection each day, and the hotel was beautiful. The rooms have enormous balconies or decks overlooking a cove where dozens of birds (we even saw a falcon, twice!) fly and dive into the water. The cove has enormous rocks you can climb on for gorgeous views of the hotel and the beach. You cannot really swim at this beach but it's so incredible just to look at. All you have to do is walk around the corner to the south and the beach is magnificent. The hotel is also very close to many other hotel restaurants, and walking distance to the little part of the beach road where there are shops and restaurants on both sides.

Sandbar also just opened next door, it's owned by the hotel. It was the BEST meal I had in Tulum, and we ate extremely well on this trip! It's a gorgeous little spot, adorably decorated with sort of a Caribbean vibe. There's no floor, so kick off your shoes and enjoy the amazing mojitos and fresh seafood (try the octopus- divine!)

The lobby area of El Pez used to be the bar/restaurant. I think it was a good idea to move it offsite because I imagine it could have been loud in the rooms. However, it leaves the lobby area totally destitute most of the time and it's such a gorgeous space. We lounged in the lobby and asked Carmen to bring us a glass of wine from Sandbar and she happily obliged. We enjoyed the giant, beautiful lobby to ourselves, sipping wine, while a rainbow formed over the ocean.

Stay here!!!

Room Tip: Room 3 is probably your best bet!