Lo Nuestro Petite Hotel
Hotels.com
$153
$149
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe main dragado bus stationfamily run hotelshort taxicute hotelauthentic experiencedefinitely stay here againgreat hostsrooms are largemexicohammocksgringobathtubfurnishings
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was in the suite as the other rooms were booked. It was a big beautiful room, I loved the big bath tub in the room and the decor was very nice. The owners were amazingly helpful and super nice!!! :) they had lots of great tips for us to enjoy authentic Mexico.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Beth M
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel out of an act of last minute desperation. Our original place was a cabana on the beach but it was disgusting and hot and we decided to venture into the pueblo for a hotel with better accommodations and A/C. We ended up here. This hotel is owned by a couple: the man is mexican and the woman is a french ex-pat but who has been living in Mexico for 25 years. The couple was nice and had excellent information for things to do in Tulum and surrounding area. We appreciated their recommendations for restaurants, places to sight-see and snorkel. The woman was animated and friendly and passionate about all things "authentic" in Mexico. She was not shy about expressing her distaste for commercial or touristy things. Her husband was more quiet, but usually friendly...except when I asked him about the status of my laundry (which I had to pay $5 for 1 small load)...he snapped at me very rudely. This bothered me because I am a very easy going, quiet, and respectful guest and he acted like me asking him about my laundry nearly 5 hours after I gave it to him was such an inconvenience to him. When you're staying at this hotel, you almost feel like you're staying in someone's house. The owners live in the hotel and you feel sometimes like you're tip-toeing around them. When we would leave the hotel in the morning a few times we forgot something in the room and turned around and went back, and the owners would already be in our room to clean it.....we'd have literally been gone 2 minutes. Felt awkward to see them in your room literally 2 minutes after you've vacated it. Nonetheless, I always felt safe here, never felt like they were looking through my stuff, and never felt like my things would go missing. They are truly passionate about their business and making your stay pleasant. I just think a lot of things get lost in translation and cultures are different...which can be confusing and frustrating on both sides.
As far as the rooms are concerned: the beds are comfortable, the sheets were clean and unstained, the a/c was cold, shower and toilet were always cleaned every day. The decorations were simple and standard...but who really comes to Mexico to sit in a hotel? I was simply looking for a comfortable, clean, cool places to sleep. And that's exactly what I found. I would stay here again and I would recommend it to future travelers.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs if you can: owners live on the bottom floor and you'll have more privacy. Walls are thin and while owners are very quiet, you don't want to always feel like you are bothering them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary E
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were very satisfied with this hotel! It was exactly what we were looking for! My husband and I vacationed in Tulum for 5 days and our hosts at the hotel helped to make our vacation even more excellent!
The husband and wife that own the hotel are very devoted to the area and have lots of great tips about ways to enjoy Tulum and the surrounding area without getting sucked in to tourist traps and spending a lot of money. They gave us a lot of tips about places to go and every recommendation was spot on! We wanted to see the famous sights as well as the less famous ones without involving tourist-geared-tours on buses full of hawaiian-shirt-clad white people, and that is exactly what we got. Our host gave us maps and directions, and also rented us snorkels at a price much cheaper that what is charged at the beach. (But bringing your own snorkel might be even cheaper!) We had a great experience with them, but it probably did help that we both speak Spanish, and had similar ideas as the hosts about how to enjoy a vacation.
Our room was simple but charming, and comfortable. The hotel had a pretty court yard and was peaceful. It's not ritzy and is located on a non-descript side street, but is very close to the square and to the center of Tulum. And as a bonus, there was an AMAZING taco stand just down the street on the way to the main drag through town. It was a perfect breakfast spot on our way out every morning!
Tulum is a great town to visit and Lo Nuestro is a great base for your exploration!

Room Tip: We were in a room that didn't have a jacuzzi tub, which was fine for us. Yes, you have to squeegee the water to the drain in the shower, but this is Mexico, not LA, enjoy it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Pros: Good size, decent location, owner provided practical information about traveling, wifi in room
Cons: Roaches in room, uncomfortable bed with a/c blowing directly on you, room was bare, only provided bar soap and towels, no breakfast offered, owner was very opinionated especially about Americans not appreciating her idea of what "real Mexico" is. I was personally insulted. It was a relatively cheap hotel but not worth it!!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Petit Hotel was odd, because the rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable, but it felt a little like staying with a busy relative who you didn't really want to disturb. To get to the rooms, you have to walk through the reception area which is kind of like a living room that opens onto the central courtyard area where the husband (the owners are a couple) watches soccer on tv. The room itself was quiet and had AIR CONDITIONING, which was great, and a nice bathtub, which I LOVED! It was also very clean and well-lit, though a reading lamp near the bed would have been nice. Also, for the relatively steep price considering it is in Tulum town, the room is fairly basic. It's nicely decorated, but a kitchenette, or at least a refrigerator would be a huge added bonus. Also, there is a door to the bathroom but no wall above it, so all bathroom sounds are easily heard in the bedroom and it would be better if the rooms were separate. The mirror in the bathroom is cute but not helpful because of its small size, teardrop shape and low placement. The policy of not letting guests use towels to take to the beach (or at least providing guests with a beach towel for use during their stay), is strange for a hotel in a place where people come for the beaches. They claim this is because they are not a beach hotel, but it comes across as just being stingy. We also stayed at the Secret Garden in town, and they loan out beach towels no questions asked. We did get the use for one day of a small towel that belongs to the family, but it seems like a relatively small investment to include beach towels with the room. They did have snorkel gear available for rental and that came in very handy and was reasonably priced. Also, the wife (I wish I could remember her name) had helpful suggestions for places to snorkel, and other places to see in the area. I have read reviews from other people claiming that she was overbearing but I did not find this to be the case, perhaps because we spoke exclusively in Spanish with her. Or maybe she's just nicer than some people had said. All in all, this is a good place, but it lacks somewhat in personal warmth.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple