“simple, easy & tasteful -- & perfect beach”
Review of Playa Mambo

Playa Mambo
Ranked #22 of 89 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed four nights at Playa Mambo in January 2013. One night in Ochre and three nights in the Penthouse.

This was our first trip to Tulum and a short one for my birthday. I researched pretty extensively where to stay, and it ended up being a choice between Playa Mambo, La Zebra and Nueva Vida de Ramiro. I wanted to be on that area of the beach since I read that it was the nicest. I ultimately decided on Playa Mambo due to the price difference, reviews and speedy email communications, and it was a great choice. Driving through the little busier section of the hotel zone made me happy that I had chosen this location -- it was just way too busy further up the beach for my taste.

The property is small and intimate. The cabanas are cuter than I expected and pretty tastefully decorated. What I like about PM is that it's not trying to be anything it's not, and it's pretty perfect that way it is. Definitely a barefoot-in-the-sand experience with -- like another reviewer said -- enough creature comforts to make it pleasant (24 hour electricity, electrical outlets in the cabanas, and -- at least in the Penthouse -- SUPER hot water). The beds were surprisingly very comfortable (though the pillows not so much -- bring your own if that's a big issue for you).

It's just felt very easy and comfortable, and we felt at home and welcomed the entire time. There are only about eight cabanas, so it never feels crowded. At most, there were usually a total of 3 or 4 people on the beach loungers, and it was very, very quiet, day and night (ps: there WAS construction going on on either side of the property while we were there, so there was a lot of hammering and chainsawing going on during the days making it impossible to nap or sleep late, but that's not PM's fault).

The Uruguayan family that runs PM is incredibly nice and accommodating. If you don't speak Spanish, there may be a few communication bumps, but nothing that can't be figured out -- and their young son speaks English, so he can translate when needed. I speak very limited Spanish, and it was really a non-issue (and I need to learn more Spanish...).

If I had to do over, I probably wouldn't bother spending the extra money on the Penthouse. Even though Ochre was the furthest away from the water, it was plenty cute and comfortable, and we wish we had just stayed there the entire time. The Penthouse was nice and roomy, but going up and down the somewhat tricky staircase to the bathroom was annoying after a while (though it was nice having a bit more bathroom privacy).

FYI: the parking is pretty limited and tight, but they make it work. You leave your car key at the reception area, and if they need to move your car, they do it. Also, the gate is closed after a certain point, but there is a way to open it from the outside. But, a car really isn't necessary -- there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

All in all, a really special place -- thank you!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are close to the water, so I don't think it matters that much to be honest.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Playa Mambo

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Tulum has transformed from the undeveloped idyll I remembered from 15 years ago. But I am no longer a hardy backpacker happy to sleep in an unlit shack. Playa Mambo proved an ideal choice this time: that simple hut-on-the-beach experience enhanced by just enough creature comforts, including 24-hour electricity and hot water, an ensuite bathroom, decent beds, and delicious breakfasts on our cabana terrace, among coconut palms right on the beach.
It's very quiet. There's no pretension. No scene. No restaurant or bar. But the wonderful staff and family who run the place will bring you fresh juices and simple food on the beach. And it's a short walk to La Zebra and Casa Violeta, where we had excellent meals.

Room Tip: The green cabana, where we stayed, seems the best as it's right on the beach and has a terrace a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TrotterG
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I arrived on December 19. I did not know what to expect. It was my first experience in what people call Eco-Hotel and was not sure what to believe from all the hotels and all the comments I saw in Trip Advisor before I left.

Rodrigo, his wife Andrea, his son Agustín and Agustín, the guy that helps maintain the place were beyond amazing! The place itself is paradise but they surely made my stay one I will remember forever. The first night I went to buy dinner to the restaurant located at Ana y Jose because everything was pretty much closed in the area (10pm seems to be closing time for most restaurants) and not only it was expensive, it was horrible!

Agustín, Andrea and Rodrigo offered me a delicious steak, guacamole, pork ribs and glass of wine for almost half of what I spent at Ana y Jose. By the way, Rodrigo is an excellent cook! He also makes natural jam of different fruits. If you have an specific flavor you would like to try, make sure you let him know!

I also recommend you to buy beans, eggs and chorizo (a.k.a. longaniza) from the store connected (not the same owner) to Playa Mambo. If you buy that and give it to Agustín, he will make you the most delicious breakfast in a lifetime!

Regardless, you can always expect fresh coffee, fresh fruit, and toast. You can either eat it at the tables or ask them to bring it to you to the beach.

Penthouse and green cabana seem to be the best ones as well as the one on the left (I forgot its name). I stayed at the red which was really nice as well.

How does this cabanas contrast from the rest?

Well, for starters, these cabanas have hot/cold water, personal restroom, a fan, concrete floor (nice!) and electricity.

You can expect for the cleaning lady to arrive and enter the room unless you notify management your desire not to do so. I repeat, YOU MUST TALK TO THEM first. Do not complain if you fail to express your desire for not having your room cleaned every morning.

By the way, now you can rent bikes with Rodrigo. Another plus! Otherwise you have to walk a long way to rent them.

Lastly, tell Rodrigo Ed says "¡Andáte!" :-)

Room Tip: Ask for the green cabana or the penthouse!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place was perfect - low key, clean, extremely friendly, helpful, warm and accomodating staff. The location is perfect, and so are the accomodations. We stayed here after a not so good experience at a place nearby.We will definitely stay here again!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We arrived at night on 11/5/12 and were greeted warmly . as we travelled all day Javier (who is a great person, informative, genuine, helpful and sincere) made us something to eat.
We had the Penthouse which was great but really too much $$$...The hospitality of Rodrigo , his wife and Javier made up the cost in service, availability and feeding us meals at no cost...
It is on the beach and lovely if not a bit rustic if you are unaccustomed to staying at eco lodging...
I would return and stay at most of their spaces.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We checked in here after having a bad experience at another hotel. Playa Mambo was great. The room was perfect. We had 24 hour electricity, plenty of hot water with good water pressure. The room was extremely clean and the staff was extremely helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: All the rooms seems well appointed we stayed in the red room and liked it very much.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spending a week in Mexico in September I stumbled upon the Playa Mambo Eco Cabanas in Tulum. Looking for the ultimate beach feeling, tranquility, Caribbean water, a pristine beach, the most awesome starlit sky and relaxation? Then spend some days at Playa Mambo. I stayed for three days in one of the beach Cabanas ("Orange" as listed on their website) with a view on the ocean. The cabanas are, yes, "rustic", very simple equipped, but that is part of the experience! And seriously it helped me relax not being as distracted by my smartphone, laptop, TV etc as I would've probably been in a more luxurious place along the Tulum beach. But don't worry there is Wifi ;-) (works around the reception area). Since we stayed close to the beach we could feel the ocean breeze during the night and had a fan in the room as well. Probably due to low season we got a very good deal on our cabana. There are a couple of nice places for a morning coffee, drinks and dinner in walking distance I would say. However we didn't really need those since we had the opportunity to enjoy some fresh caught fish and ceviche prepared by Javier, one of the workers we met there. He's a pretty nice guy who's trying to provide an authentic Mexican experience for his guests. He provided us with travel tips off the beaten path, local advice on dinner places in Tulum, took my boyfriend along on a snorkel/ fishing trip, prepared dinner for us, and constantly made sure that the private beach area looked nice and clean. He cares a lot about Playa Mambo's guests and wants everyone to have a great vacation. If you go and he is still working there don't, hesitate to ask him for advice. I already recommended the place to a co-worker and would definitely go back!

Just one thing: eventually the information/welcome leaflet in the rooms should be updated.

Christian lost his dog while we were there, I hope Tony magically finds his way back!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple