“Overrated for price”
Review of Posada Margherita

Posada Margherita
Ranked #82 of 463 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We decided to give this a try after all the great reviews, but were surprisingly underwhelmed. We have mostly given up carbs so I was hoping that they would still have some meat options, and if not then thought that at least I'd be getting my carbs from a worthwhile source. I DO love Pasta, so I had hoped this would be a great "cheat". The menu was surprisingly very limited. Only 2 fish options, 3-4 shrimp options (which I'm allergic to, so that was out) and maybe 4 pasta options. No chicken, no red meat. The hubby ate jumbo shrimp on the grill that he says were, "Okay. They weren't the most fantastic thing I ever had, but they weren't bad. But they weren't worth the price tag". I felt similarly for my mushroom pasta dish. While the pasta was fresh, there was nothing about it that blew me away, and was definitely the most expensive thing I ate all week. We will give them bonus points for the bread basket they brought filled with cheese, foccacia breads, nuts, etc. That was fantastic and wished we could've gotten more of that. In the end, we ate the smallest portions we had our entire 9 days in Tulum, spent the most on any single meal. We left and went to have dessert and drinks elsewhere.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,660)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Beautiful place ( in Tulum beach) but apart from that the menu is really poor ( just few plates to choose from) . Pasta was cold when served and the fish cooked in sea water is a normal filet cooked in salty water ( if you know how to cook you can easily do it at home). Better and cheaper place to chose from if you wish to eat on the beach or in the "city".
In my opinion is over rated.

1  Thank flavia186338
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Everything that you have heard/read about this restaurant is true. Alessandro and his team create amazing fresh pasta and provide truly sincere service. Do not miss this place while in Tulum!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Beautiful beach setting, the kind where you want to linger into the wee hours on a balmy tropical night by the sea. Food was fresh with homebaked breads and sun-dried tomato toppings. Pasta was excellent and lightly tossed with olive oil. True gem on the beach!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stopped for lunch at Posada Margherita, based on the strong recommendations we found from contributors and destination experts on some Tulum forum and we were not disappointed at all. This is an eclectic and genuinely fun restaurant, serving up some very good seafood.

We arrived shortly after they opened for lunch and found it easy to be seated, only a few other diners at that time. For our meal we tried the Prawn in Guazzezzo that came with a lovely garlic/brandy sauce and seasoned vegetables. The shrimp were much larger that what we are usually served in restaurants in the USA and tasted very fresh and delicious (rating 4.5 of 5). This was just a great dish, one we'd happily order again and again. We also tried a bowl of home made pasta with simple tomatoes s which was quite good (rating 5 of 5) , absolutly perfect.

In addition to the very good food here, we quite enjoyed the sea-themed restaurant. The walls were busy with masks and amphorae , making a nice setting and more enjoyable dining experience. Overall, we were very pleased with our orders at Posada Margherita and had a nice time dining at this restaurant. We found this to be a genuinely good experience, one we'd be happy to enjoy again during future trips to Tulum.

Special thanks to our beautiful hostess, Francesca, who helped us during the entire dinner, always discrete and with a beautiful smile. She make this place even more special.