All reviews chef lulu communal table other guests palm trees french press coffee sian ka'an private beach nature preserve ocean front suite every morning bio reserve beach road chilaquiles ceviche granola tulum strip sound of the waves
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We had a perfect week at the Olas. The beach is isolated and perfect. Same for the water. Beach is steps from the room. Relaxed atmosphere. Owner goes out of his way to make your stay wonderful. If you want a pool and 30 poolside lounges, go north. If you want a beach, a beer and sun, this is the place!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2011

In a nutshell...
Awesome beach, relaxing casa, perfect host, incredible value!
For the details...
Beautiful and relaxing 9 days on the most gorgeous and PRIVATE beach that we can afford to get to! Having been regulars for the past 15 years at several other popular south Tulum beach resorts, we opted to try Casa de las Olas because I wanted the option to cook our own meals (frankly, restaurant prices are high along the beach, often for average food). It turns out that CdlO was the perfect choice for us in every way! And, yes, we savored our home-cooked meals even more by dining on our private balcony overlooking the beach. Plenty of candles are provided for the ultimate ambience, too!
Because the property runs on solar, ice machines aren't practical, though that would be our one item on a wish list. However, the owner would pick up bagged ice from nearby stores while he was out, for us to keep in the ice chest he provided. Now THAT is service!

Thick comfortable mattresses, nicely decorated and bright, clean rooms, kitchen (2 burner gas stovetop is perfect for cooking, or you can use the gas barbeque grill), plenty of hot water in the shower (don’t expect huge water pressure anywhere along south Tulum beach, but the hot water felt great after a day on the beach!) Speaking of the beach, because this property adjoins the north edge of the Sian Ka’an biosphere, you feel as though you have the beach southward all to yourself! This is a place you can suit up for sunning...or not! There are plenty of comforts for sunbathing, including beach towels, reclining chaise lounges, and even beach bed mattresses which you can move to your own private spot.

The help staff, Antonio and David, were friendly, very helpful, and more than efficient. The grounds are attractive and well- maintained. They know to clean your room when you leave the conch shell outside your door…fresh thick cotton towels every day! And washcloths, too!...a small convenience I rarely find when traveling.

Jimmy is the Casa’s owner and host from Brooklyn, with Southern hospitality! I have never stayed anyplace where the host/owner of the property went to such great lengths to make sure I was a happy guest from start to finish! Many little surprises...from the vase of colorful tropical flowers and bottle of wine upon arrival in our room, to sharing with us some scrumptious tamales for breakfast which were cooked over a wood fire at David’s mother’s restaurant, Jimmy is a very genuine host who delivers exceptional service! I imagine that most of his guests who leave his Casa will consider him as a dear new friend. He lives in a separate house set behind CdlO, so that all of his guests get the primo rooms right next to the beach. And, yes, his wireless service works great, even inside our room!

If you’ve never been to south Tulum beach, you’re in for a treat! Wide powdery and clean beaches with very few people around. You can literally walk for hours heading south and see nary a soul! Even though CdlO is the southernmost property before Sian
Ka’an, we felt perfectly safe here at all times.

If you’re a person who doesn’t adapt well, or who requires finery at every corner, then go somewhere else, please. If, however, you’re a person who appreciates comfort, raw beauty, and a peaceful setting, and who can respect Jimmy’s CdlO as his home
too, then please go and enjoy yourself every moment! We did!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank islandgirlOK
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Tulum, now part of the Quintana Roo Mexican state, was the site of some of the oldest Coastal Mayan ruins still existing. I had to bring my 5 year old son to check them out. For my stay in Tulum, had the utter pleasure of staying at the Casa De Las Olas beachside resort, which is located on the pristine Tulum coastline just south of Sian Ka'an biosphere. My three days here were gorgeous. I traveled to Tulum with my 5 year old to soak in the sun and relax, but the trip completely blew my mind!

The first night we had a room on the first floor with bay windows overlooking a short distance of palm trees and then straight out into the water. Wake up early enough and you are able to catch the sunrise while laying comfortably in your bed, preferably with your honey! The room has a beautiful open shower with minimalized design and biodegradeable products. The owner asks you don't flush toilet paper down the toilet bowl, due to low water pressure causing many a clogged toilet.

The other night we stayed in a room on the upper level of Casa De Las Olas. In this room we above the palm trees, facing the water, and were able to enjoy it from the private patio and hammock provided. The scent of fresh flowers from the vase in the sittingn area waft through to create a multi-sensory experience.

I loved the simpleness of it all. And I loved the attention to detail that the staff at Casa De Las Olas put into making my stay comfortable, and making sure I had fresh flowers, towels, beach mats, and biodegradeable products for my stay.

I heard they are offering a European breakfast plan, which allows you to have meals included with your stay. I would recommend this as a fantastic option for those of you who don't want to take the car out EVERY time your tummy grumbles. Or stock up with food on your drive down and reserve a room with a full kitchen.

Overall, I knew I was going to have a great time in Tulum but everyone at Casa De Las Olas made it bloody spectacular!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hsinya
Reviewed February 20, 2011

What an incredible find! A secret paradise located at the end of the beach, away from the larger hotels, restaurants. Our room was the Master Ocean Front Suite. It is a really large, open room with 2 king beds, beautiful mosquito netting, & a huge balcony directly on the beach. We could hear waves crashing all night long, really unbelievable. It is like your own house right on the beach because although there are incredibly kind people who work here and who will help you with anything you may want, you have your own kitchen and can make coffee in the morning in your own french press coffee maker, lay in bed, or a hammock on the balcony, wake up and listen to the waves. Often there was NO ONE on the beach, just us. We have a three year old son who was in heaven. The guys that worked there would climb up one of the many coconut trees and cut us all a coconut for drinking and eating in the middle of the day. It is a small hotel and the guests were all wonderful. We often don't talk that much with others while on vacation, getting away from it all, but we found that we enjoyed so much Jimmy, the owner & the men that work for him as well as the guests, that we left with emails and telephone numbers and vows to keep in touch. I kept thinking this is the perfect place, it's private and small enough that it felt like my own house down in Tulum but the upkeep & all the other things that go into keeping a place like this running are taken care of by other, very capable people. We did rent a car which we loved as we would drive into Tulum town (incredible & wonderful small town) to eat popsicles, go grocery shopping or out for a meal. Then we would come back to our "home" and relax, relax, relax. Swimming right out your front door. The most gorgeous untouched beach. Our first night we arrived quite late, all we could hear were the waves, in the morning the sun and sand and the beach were so overwhelmingly beautiful we were amazed! We didn't have any food for breakfast (although there was beautiful fruit, ground coffee for our french press, milk & sugar), we were about to walk down the beach to find some more food but Jimmy, the wonderful owner, cooked us the most delicious breakfast & then told us how to get to the grocery store. Our son fell in love with him & the other guys that worked there, we all did. Anything we needed to know they helped us with. I can't believe we found this place! Our room was so big I don't even know how to describe it. We have travelled all over the world, stayed in the most expensive hotels as well as small huts on the beach. This hotel was incredible because it was very chic and well done, beautifully decorated, kind staff but it wasn't fussy. There weren't twenty people asking you what you needed all the time (something I find very unrelaxing), so you really felt like you could just be & relax. We took a trip to visit some friends at Maya Tulum but it just felt too fussy and too many people working there and too many people staying there. You can drive down and do yoga and then return to your own sanctuary. For us it was a dream come true.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank zoegirl57
Reviewed February 11, 2011

The staff really makes this a special place. From Heather at booking, to Antonio carving us coconuts and David's amazing fresh tortilla's and salads on the beach.

Fresh flowers, beer and wine awaited our arrival. Everything was taken care of. Local knowledge and recommendations ensured that even when we left for the day we were looked after.

The location and grounds are perfect for nature lovers and escapists who want to be all alone on a postcard perfect beach. The rooms are spacious, sparkling and open onto the ocean. The perfect blissed-out getaway.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple