All reviews chef lulu communal table other guests palm trees french press coffee sian ka'an private beach nature preserve ocean front suite every morning bio reserve beach road chilaquiles ceviche granola tulum strip sound of the waves
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here after seeing a great review on Tablet. Didn't disappoint! At first was really turned off by no water pressure. At the end of my trip I didn't care. Jimmy was extremely gracious and helpful with anything and everything. Even drew us a map of the best places to eat and go and his suggestions never led us astray. Anything you want, they can get you. We had our 18 month old with us. Maybe not the best idea to stay upstairs since its an open air staircase with no rail, but you just have to be on it with closing doors, etc. The best part is the isolation to everyone else. The beach is right there and we loved it so much more than the large Four Seasons resort atmosphere. Will be back for sure.

Room Tip: If you have small kids, the large downstairs suite is best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

because you're pretty much in a perfect vacation postcard when you're here. This beautiful little place feels more like a warm guesthouse than a hotel. My boyfriend and I did nothing but lay on the beach reading, take pictures with coconuts, play with other people's dogs that ran by and drink cold beers and wine at sunset. You forget what time it is because it doesn't matter. We bought fresh shrimp the size of small children from a local fisherman and Jimmy, the man with the best job in the world, helped us heat up the BBQ for a beach-style grill out. We opted to have local BBQ chicken delivered from town on our last night and had a cozy dinner on our private balcony instead of going out. If you venture out for food, Hartwood is good. The wait is long but have a jalepeno-pineapple margarita or three and you'll barely notice it. Otherwise, go into town for tacos so good that will ruin other tacos for you forever. Jimmy will tell you where to get the best ones. If you want to forget about phones, work, stress, people honking horns and calendars, stay here. You'll feel like you're staying with incredibly tan and happy friends on a private beach and never want to come home.

Room Tip: Rent a car to venture into town and pick up groceries.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Since our experience was so different from the uniformly glowing reviews, I feel like I need to give our perspective. Everything you read on here about the seclusion, the privacy, and the beauty of the beach and the property is dead on. This is a quiet, gorgeous place to relax and unplug. The rooms are simple but clean and the staff is nice. The proximity to the beach is unbeatable.

Unfortunately, the fabled Jimmy was never seen during our weeklong stay, and perhaps that's what set our vacation apart from all the 5 star reviews. So there was no tour of the village, no off-the-beaten-path food recommendations, no assistance setting up day trips or boat tours, no fresh coconut served to us on the beach... Of course, CDLO doesn't promise you those things, but after reading about these nice personal touches on TA I was really disappointed when we didn't experience any of them over the course of 7 days.

The strangest part of our stay was that the entire staff seemed to disappear in the afternoon and early evening, at least while we were there. There were three days in a row where I spent hours looking for a staff member who could help us call a cab to go to dinner, and finally we just ended up driving ourselves. There's no "front desk" -- you need to wander around and hope you bump in to somebody. We truly felt abandoned at times, in an unfamiliar and isolated place.

Our experience seems to be the exception, and people who stayed before and after us apparently had a wonderful experience. That only tells me that something needs to be done to ensure consistency at CDLO no matter who happens to be working there. I spent way too much time on our vacation worrying about logistics and grumbling about why I was spending $300/night for this.

19  Thank rustito
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We just returned from a perfect week at Casa de las Olas! I thoroughly did my homework on all the other accommodations in Tulum, plus read every review...I'm convinced we couldn't have made a better choice. The beauty of the beach is breathtaking, but the beautiful people we met are what made our trip most memorable. Jimmy, Bear, Marie & Antonio were the perfect hosts- caring for our every need, making us comfortable, and giving us a tremendous amount of personal attention.

No, there are not fine linens, A/C, an infinity pool, or a gourmet equipped kitchen. You can't flush the toilet paper, the water is slightly salty, and the pressure a bit low. If that bothers you, you may want to be at an all-inclusive with the masses. If you are looking for serenity, local flavor, and an intimate hideaway that is rustic, yet refined, Casa de las Olas is for you!

A few highlights of our week...Jimmy's personal tour of town that included pork tacos & Coke for breakfast (that was highly unusual for me, but we did it twice- it was that good), fresh squeezed juices, delicious frozen fruit bars. Dinners at Hartwood, El Camello, Cesiak for breakfast (don't miss the hammocks on the lagoon side at the end of the boat dock) and sunset. Mezzanine for cocktails and Thai food. Most memorable was the fresh fish & pasta lunch we communally prepared- won't forget that! Drive down to the double bridge past Boca Paila for a lovely view and stroll along the beach. Catamaran tour with Fabian was great fun. Mayan clay massages were unbelievable. We were there for relaxation, and we were not disappointed. Didn't venture far from the property.

A few suggestions...rent a car. Yes, you can walk a few places, but you are at the very end of civilization, so it's very convenient if you are staying for any length of time to have your own transportation. Also, take a sweatshirt; it actually got chilly a few nights. The beach is pretty much clothing optional, so just prepare the kids if you are traveling as a family. Riding bikes down Tulum road is nice, but I wouldn't do it at night. It gets quite congested at times.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but those are some of the basics. Most of all we thank our gracious host and friend, Jimmy! We do hope to return again someday soon.

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely. Just depends on your budget...the balcony suite we had was great, but we saw them all and they were equally as nice. The master suite was breathtaking.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you read everyone's reviews they all say how wonderful it is so when you stay and find how true it all is there is very little you can say as every adjective has been used to describe how lovely this villa is and how perfect a location it is in.
Paradise is a word frequently used and it was just lovely to step out of your room and within a few steps be on a gorgeous beach,so safe and comfortable.We walked down the beach on a couple of evenings to a local restaurant under a moonlit sky, quite stunning and really so romantic as was the dinner Jimmy had arranged as a surprise for my wife in our room.
We hope to return soon.tks to all for looking after us