All reviews chef lulu communal table other guests palm trees french press coffee sian ka'an private beach nature preserve ocean front suite every morning bio reserve beach road chilaquiles ceviche granola tulum strip sound of the waves
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a long-overdue review of our trip in April 2012 -- my husband and I and our two children spent three spectacular days here in the Master Beach Suite, and we loved every minute of it. The room was enormous, comfortable, and immaculate; the beach was perfect (as is pretty much all of Tulum beach); and Jimmy was amazing. Within moments of our arrival he whisked us away to his favorite spot to watch the sun set with beers in hand and plates of ceviche on the table. In subsequent days he drew maps to the best local hangouts and lined up a fantastic catamaran trip for us out to a deserted part of the reef. We try to make regular visits to Tulum and would love to stay at las Olas again, and again, and again...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Can't say enough about Casa. This is my second time visiting and I could not wait to come back. The property is beautiful, peaceful, and has an amazing beach. The host and owner is funny, gracious and passionate about tulum. Jimmy went out of his way to make sure we felt special. I would highly recommended if you are looking for a bit of paradise.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face the beach so you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here and we will be back! Tulum is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever visited and I really enjoyed my stay, but it would not have been possible without the help of Jimmy the owner. He was a tremendous help, giving us great advice about where to go and where to eat. The casa itself is beautiful and the grounds are well kept and super safe. It is like you are so far away from it all being right next store to the biosphere but only a 10 minute taxi trip to the pueblo. Jimmies hands on approach creates such a welcoming atmosphere so when you arrive it feels like you are returning home. I would definetly rent a car in the pueblo at payless car rentals. Jimmy took us there and for helped us get a great price. The best tacos in town are at a place called La chiapaneca. All in all, it was an incredible stay at Casa de las olas.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

If your idea of a vacation is forgetting about television, ditching the cell phone, soaking up rays, digging your toes into white sand, then jumping into crystal blue ocean water to cool off, Casa de las Olas is for you. If you want to spend your trip in a sleepy little beach town that offers culinary delights ranging from traditional street food to 5 star dining, and night life that ranges from simple oceanfront cervezas to full on danceclubs with international DJs and firedancers lighting up the night sky, Tulum might just be the perfect place to land.

I can't imagine coming to Tulum and NOT staying at Casa de las Olas. Jimmy and his staff at Casa will all but guarantee that you have a good time. If you come here, prepare to relax. Grab a book and hop into one of the many hammocks on the property. If you want to enjoy the pristine beach but stay out of the sun, stake your claim on one of the palapas. A stay at Casa de las Olas can be exactly what you want to make of it... as long as you're not trying to make it into stressful trip.

The rooms are large, clean, and simply decorated so as not to distract from the ridiculous ocean views. The place practically sits on the water, and the waves crash in and lull you to sleep each night. Because of it's location, with only the biosphere beyond, and the fact that there are only 5 guest rooms, Casa de las Olas can actually feel like your own private resort. There was one morning we didn't see another soul for over 4 hours.

You can tell there is a lot of love in this quiet little mecca at the end of the road. Mari and Antonio take great care to ensure that everything is kept in perfect order, and you have whatever your heart desires while you stay here. I even saw Antonio crack open a couple of coconuts, drop straws in and deliver them to some other guests on the beach one afternoon. If you want a massage, just ask them to arrange for the masseuse to come to you. If it's a catamaran ride you're seeking, Jimmy can hook that up as well. It seems the only thing they can't do is get your boss to give you more time off so you don't have to leave.

Room Tip: They're all great rooms, of course, but if I get to go back, I want to land in the oceanfront master suite. There's a huge dining table and tons of space to spread out and entertain. It's not like a guestroom, more like your own apartment with an enormous lanai with hammock looking right over the sand.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We rented the entire villa for a week with friends for my 30th birthday getaway in April 2012. Every day since leaving Tulum, I've dreamt of my return to Casa de las Olas. Tucked away in an an ultra private, pristine, Caribbean corner of the earth-- this place is simply magical. All the suites were beautiful, clean, and were loaded with everything we could possibly need. Not to mention, it feels great to know you've reduced your footprint as this property is completely sustainable.

The friendly staff was helpful and attentive -- whether arranging activities or offering tips on Tulum's best of the best. We opted to cook in a few nights after grabbing delicious produce at the little markets in Tulum pueblo. We also had some amazing meals out out on the town and along Tulum beach-- all memorable experiences. Tulum and the Yucatan peninsula have so much to offer-- we could've spent 2 more weeks soaking it all up. Enjoy this piece of paradise and give Mari, Antonio, Jimmy (and of course Matty) big hugs for me.

Room Tip: All the rooms were amazing with great views. The master is incredible - but we loved our intimate ocean front suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends