“Casa de las Olas is sublime”
Review of Casa de las Olas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Casa de las Olas
Ranked #1 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 22, 2012

To describe Casa de las Olas would be to simply repeat what so many others have said: it's beautiful, it's secluded, it's a wonderful retreat. Jimmy greatly enhanced our stay there by recommending small local places to eat as we had coffee together in the morning. We admire all he's doing to have as little environmental impact as possible and are happy to support him by staying at his hotel every opportunity we have. We hope to return soon, Jimmy!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite, which was lovely. Although it says on the website that there's a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank egbrowning

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We love Casa de las Olas, right on the Ocean in Tulum. We've been coming to tulum for years and in the past 2-3 years the place has gotten "chachacha" very hip and trendy... somehow, Casa de Las Olas has managed to avoid the insanity and remains a quiet, tranquil and pretty retreat. There's one large room in this redone house with 6 apartments, downstairs for families or a couple with a big veranda and two huge beds, private bath and kitchen. Upstairs are 3 comfortable "studios." What a pleasure to make my own cup of coffee, sit on my small veranda and watch the turquoise see, the pelicans, kites and herons fly by... the beach in tulum is pristine. If you walk to the left, you eventually hit all the new hotels and old ones, if you walk to the right you enter the BIOSPHERE - solitude awaits. The hotel is beautifully appointed, runs on solar power, and the managers and owners are totally accommodating.

Room Tip: The center room, upstairs has a lovely view (all three do) but only two, the center and the room on...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MontaukTraveler
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Located right beside the Sian Ka'an arch, this villa has the most private beach with white sands and surrounded by lush vegetation as far as the eye can see. Running on solar power, gravity fed shower systems with water purification and custom designed air flow system that does not require any electricity, these villas are the perfect choice for anyone looking for an eco friendly experience and to be one with nature. In my busy life in Toronto Canada, I enjoy coming to the casa to experience peace, rejuvenation and privacy. Jimmy the owner, is a great guy and was always going the extra mile to make sure my stay was perfect. He even took me to a few restaurants around the area which were absolutely amazing!

The room was clean, and full of clean natural air flowing from the ocean. It was an amazing experience to sleep and wake up to the sounds of the waves crashing up against the shores. If you looking to party and a wild time, do not come here. If you are looking for rejuvenation of the mind, body and soul and to experience the beauty and clarity of the Sain Ka'an, this is your place. That you very much for a memorable time. I will be back. With love, from Toronto, Canada.

Room Tip: Contact Maria who takes care of booking for a delightful experience, she is great!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Joe30s
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We knew it was going to be a great vacation especially within five minutes of arriving, we asked Jimmy, the owner, where we could watch the Superbowl and he replied, "Umm, my living room?"

This was our second stay at Casa de las Olas - the reason we came back was because we had such a relaxing time on our first trip. This time, we noticed that Jimmy had been upgrading with little details that enhanced our experience. We found out that Jimmy is also a foodie and always had great recommendations for food to suit our craving of the day.

Everyone who works at Olas is wonderful. Antonio, Mari, and Gaddy were always helpful whenever we needed anything. The guests are friendly as well. When we left a jacket in the room when we left, Jimmy was able to organize its return; one of the other guests we had met there brought it back upon their return to NY.

Tulum is already a special place, but staying at Casa de las Olas makes it practically perfect.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greenwave_ny
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Casa de las Olas is a gorgeous little hotel on one of the most beautiful beaches I have come across in all my travels. This is the perfect place to get away from things and relax and enjoy exploring the local area. The rooms are comfortable, the gardens and location great - and the staff are incredible - as they were so helpful and friendly and especially Jim and went out of their way to be helpful. If going with small children I recommend renting the downstairs rooms, but this is a great spot and we will be going back there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ElsaSHGP
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Holy great time batman. I have never slept so close to such a beautiful serene beach in my life. The views were breathtaking and it was never crowded, did I mention I was there dec. 20th through the 24th yeah it was short but so very memorable and isn't it supposed to be crowded at Christmas? Well it wasn't I can not wait to go back to enjoy proprietor James Greenfield's sparkling Paul Newman blue eyes and scintillating sense of humor. Definitely a charming man having considerable connections to share with all who stay at Casa de las Olas. James and his incredible staff take such good care of you, I guarantee you will find yourself writing a review just like this. Something I have never been prompted to do before in my life. I am 42 and this was my best Christmas ever. Highly recommend going. Anytime

Room Tip: They are all great I saw them all.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I have been fortunate to experience this little sanctuary for a good long month . I was able to really get to know the staff , Antonio and Gadhi served me coconuts the whole time sometimes twice a day , and with a smile ..I wasn't really savvy with spanish , but we laughed and they made me feel comfortable and taught me new words each day ..to get me by. Mari took care of my room and kept the flowers looking fresh and the place always spic and span, ...The cliches don't do this place justice.The beach was to die for ! and it was so close ..I enjoyed hearing the waves to fall asleep to and waking up to a serene sunrise , a perfect way to start my day .I enjoyed the crystal blue ocean which is said to be really healing to your body and it definately did something to my soul as well , if I wanted some privacy I took a swim in the cenote which jim can tell you about , along with his amazing knowledge of his experiences with the local eateries that your tastebuds will love and crave for more .Jim really has a nice way about him and quite the sense of humor when giving you all his little secret spots so you dont have to waste your precious vacation ,you can get right down to business ,but one of my favorites was the SUNSET SPOT !! Getting back to Casa de las Olas .. As I watched the place fill up with other guests , I was surprised that it didn't even feel busy , which I loved because you felt you had the place to yourself ,which suited why I chose this place .Everyday I would say to myself I should see the sights and go and explore , there is so much to do ..but I opted to stay and treat myself to a few really good massages from Rudolfo and Yolanda and the best part is,is that they come right to you .. I liked how it felt luxurious but simple and that there was a consciousness for "Mother Earth" , also the location of this little tucked away sanctuary was in my opinion the best part of the block , at the end where it felt green and lush of what little jungle is left .

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo