“great way to see the park”

Community Tours Sian Ka'an
Ranked #20 of 101 Tours in Tulum
Reviewed December 19, 2012

knowledgeable, friendly multilingual guide (fernando) who is very knowledgeable about the plants and birds. we did the "muyil forest and float' tour which takes you through the jungle to some minor ruins, then a fruit snack, then a boat ride on two large lakes in the park.

it sounds corny, but the next part of the tour was to float (using life jackets as boogie board equivalents) down a narrow canal to another lake. and then walk back.

cooling on a hot day, and not as relaxing as it sounds (wince you need to keep your balance). not for the timid, but not scary either. cerainly something you won't forget. and a relativelytasty lunch on the way back (certainly better than i expected)

they will pick you up at your hotel (from cancun to tulum) or you can meet at their tour office in tulum.

this tour group supports good works and education, not just crass commercialism. limited to 12 people per tour (ours only had 8) so it's personal and small scale.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We did the ruins and lagoon tour where we floated through the mangroves. It was a beautiful way to really commune with nature and see things away from the crowded tourist fray. Truly unique and not to be missed.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very professional staff, incredibly knowledgeable guides, ours was a biology teacher with a strong personal knowledge of Mayan history. We did Forest & Float, we are not zip liners. It was perfect to see such. Beautiful preserve, similar to Everglades. Boat tour, ruins, floating in the canal. Lunch, another larger ruin you can walk up!

I would recommend. I really liked that their philosophy was to support and provide economic opportunities to the local Mayans.

1  Thank pooka711
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were picked up from hotel and taken to muyil. Then off into the reserve to see the ruins. Antonio was our guide and he was very knowledgable about the environment. We didn't see much as it was the wrong time of day. We did see birds, bees and lots of insects. I would recommend mosquito repellant and keeping moving! The ruins are amazing and it was great to be shown around by someone who knew a lot about them, practically and spiritually.
We then went back to the village and had some fruit and then it was off to the boats. We went across two large lagoons and one man made canal, made by the maya, and another natural canal. We got to float down the natural one. I was very afraid as I do not swim and have fear of water but with a lot of support I got in and antonio held my hand for a good while. Eventually, near the end, I was able to do it myself and would have done it all over again. It was great. I'm so gratefull that he took the time to get me to do the float as it was so worth it. We then went back to muyil for lunch, it was all home made and very delicious. I would highly recommend this tour for the content alone but for the fact it supports the local Mayan community I recommend it even more strongly. Thank you for an amazing day out, I can't wait to return next time I am in Mexico.

1  Thank Debbie F
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We cannot recommend this company enough. One thing to keep in mind - many companies offer experiences in or near Sian Kaan, these often involve 4x4 buggies etc and do not really aim to give a nature experience. This company is 100% authentic, with all proceeds going to Mayan people only.

We discovered the company here on TA, and took the plunge for the Muyil Forest & Float tour. In one word; "Phenomenal". Having visited Chichen Itza a couple years previous, we fancied something a little different and away from tourists. We were collected from our hotel - El Dorado Sea Side Suites - around 08:00 and taken to the community tour office in Tulum, where we awaited another couple from northern Mexico to join us before setting out for the biosphere and the tour. We met all of the guys we had corresponded with via email and were shown where exactly we would be going and exactly what to expect.

In total, there was four of us on the tour with our driver Wilberth, and guide Alberto. Alberto is a walking encyclopedia of forest hazards, wildlife and Mayan culture. The forest was beautiful. He showed us bee hives, poisonous trees and plants, took me into caves to photograph coral snakes, and showed us around Mayan ruins in the forest, telling us about the national work of excavating Mayan ruins etc. We definitely needed the insect repellant here, so make sure you apply before you jump out the minibus.

Following this we stopped next to the lagoon and had a huge fruit feast before setting off. This included fresh papaya, mango, pineapple and melon, along with bottled water. The boat we used to travel across the lagoons was in good condition and life jackets provided. The waters were crystal clear and we were able to see turtles and many varieties of fish without straining.

The canal float was better than we could imagine, the water warm, and perfectly clear, with a gentle current allowing you simply sit/lie on your life jacket and float through the mangroves and look at all of the fish, spot birds over head and examine the surrounding plant life. You will need to apply sun cream prior to this as you will be in the water and sun for around 45 minutes, so you have been warned!

Following this, you are taken back to minibus to change into dry clothes and return to a near by community tours office, where you sit outside and eat traditional Mayan food that has been prepared for you - simply delicious and served with iced tea! After, we were shown around an onsite small Mayan museum they are in the process of creating.

We were returned to our hotel by 16:00, and felt privileged to have visited such a beautiful place and been privy to such expert subject knowledge.

If you are thinking about this tour, stop thinking and book!!!

4  Thank Thetruthsetsyoufree