“Impeccable!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
los angeles
“Impeccable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2007

Located on the even quieter side of Tulum, it's a bit far from the town, but that's what makes this place special. It's so secluded that we saw as many egg-laying turtles as strangers.Nueva Vida is a luxury cabana in its own right: round the clock electricity, pouring hot water (albeit salty), and clean toilets. The staff are always smiling and helpful. The cleanliness is almost obsessive and we felt sorry that we were bringing in so much sand with us into the room. This maybe on the pricier side as Cabanas go, but it was totally worth every peso.

P.S. We stayed in Alma del Mar, where an open backdoor led you to a stairway to beach paradise.

Pros: Quiet, clean, friendly and helpful service, great location, etc, etc...
Cons: ~15 mins from downtown Tulum, needed two nights to get used to the humidity and mosquitos (but if you can't stand this, why even leave the resorts of Cancun).

• Liked — facitilities, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LAcomma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
California - Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

We decided to take a last minute trip to Mexico and heard Tulum was the place to be for relaxing and nice beaches. This was my first time out of the US and I was a bit skeptical about going somewhere fairly rural and far from somewhere that was heavily populated by tourist.

Everything was PERFECT - People were nice, Food was great, Weather was awsome, Beach was a dream, and the Cabana was beautiful. It was not what I expected and exceeded everything I thought it would be. I absolutely loved it. The weather said it would be Isolated T-Storms and Rain the entire week...when we got there, yes it was a bit overcast, but rained twice in the week and only in the early morning. Within the time you wake up and get ready, everything was dry again and off to the beach you go. Sunny, Hot, Humid, Nice Breeze at the Beach, no breeze once youre 50 yards inland. The weather was great in my opinion...I wouldnt have changed it.

Nueva Vida de Ramiro is an EXCELLENT place to stay. I felt very safe and welcomed there. Nesto (or Ernesto) was the one I talked to most of the time I was there. He sat at the front/reception area and would welcome us coming in or going away for the day. He was very helpful in making sure everything was going well and that we were taken care of. Our room was cleaned everyday and the people were very respectful and very friendly.

We stayed in the Luna de Miel cabana which was just a few steps from the beach with an excellent view. Throughout our 7 day stay, we pretty much hung out around Tulum Beach the entire time. We went to Playa del Carmen, some Ruins, Cancun, and Punta de Soliman for snorkeling (really quiet nice area). Of all the places we went, Tulum Beach was the choice for us. Everything we needed was there and relaxing was the main key. Nice water and beach with beachside Restaurants and drinks and we were good to go.

Some places I do recommend for eating at Tulum Beach are: Le Zebra (next to Nueva Vida) for Drinks and Lunch/Dinner, The Mezzanine (other side of where we stayed towards the Ruins - when you go on Boca Paila towards the water, you make a left instead of going right towards Nueva Vida) for Lunch/Dinner, and Ana y Jose for Breakfast (walking distance using the beach from Nueva Vida). Im sure there were a ton of places to try, but these are where we went consistently because it was good with a nice environment and friendly people.

There is too much to share...we based the trip on a lot of reviews from friends and reading on the Internet. I decided to write this to help those of you who are/were in our position and need a little advise to figure out what to do and where to go. I hope this helps and owe it to the the people at all the places we visited. It made our experience very memorable and is definitely somewhere I WILL be visiting again in the future.

By the way, one of the 7 wonders of the world is fairly close to Tulum (Chichen Itza). Enjoy and have fun...depending on what type of trip youre looking for and expecting, I can alsmost guarantee you'll love it as much as we did.

• Liked — Room was new and nice, View to the Beach, Beachfront Location, Quiet and Peaceful Area
  • Disliked — It was very hot and humid at night with no AC. A fan was on all night and mosquito bites. Nothing serious - I just was not used to the heat at night. Everything expceted as far as weather/heat. We were pretty much in a Jungle.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank sirshan
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

I am not sure how to objectively compare this to the other places in Tulum, since they all look fantastic from the outside. I can, however say, that Nueva Vida was spectacular on all fronts, the setting, the staff, the food , the beach and the bungalows (we stayed in Blanca Duna which is absolutely huge and airy that accomodated the 4 of us). All the other reviews about the beach are on target, it is extremely beautiful and private. The grounds are very lovely and tranquil. We also loved the restaurant - I thought the food was better than some of the other nearby restaurants we tried. yes the service is slow - but you easily get used to that in the lush setting assisted by the incredible maragaritas. They even prepared a special meal for us the last night. I can't wait to return !

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank rgjk
St. Moritz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

Enjoy a few days your "nueva vida"
Wonderful Hotel in Paradise!
Perfectly located, on one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
You get the impression you have your own little place in the middle of the jungle, just a few steps from the ocean
Just go and find out your self...it's a dream.
- lovely, spacious room
- big terrace
- very friendly staff
- mega clean
etc. etc.

• Liked — Location, Hotel type, Room, View, Staff, Clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank get2know_k
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed at Nueva Vida for 4 nights in mid May, with our 2 year old toddler daughter, and had a wunderful time.- This is a very special and truly ecological place, although it still is really in the Tulum south beach area, ie. fully sourrounded by other hotels. the hotel normally does not take families with younger kids and I can somehow see that it is not a perfect place for kids because a) the garden is in original vegetation and you have to stick to the very few paths and b) there is only very little shade on th beach.
We also missed a restaurant really at the beach or other shady hang out areas. Still, we loved the place. it is truly beautiful and has a very special athmosphere. Staff was very firendly, but less knowledgable about off-the beaten tack things to do than we expected. So better gather some information what you want to do in the area before you you or bring your laptop. E.g. you are always only sent to mega themepark like attractions like Xe-ha and it was only one our very last day that we discovered a large and turly wonderful adventurous cenote/cave for snorkling ( Cenote Caracol/Labna-ha a few miles off the highway up to Cancun) that certainly many people who enjoy a place like Nueva Vida would have liked. But ok, also nice that you can still discover wunderful things in this area.
By the way, prices off season are much lower than for high season, something like 90$/night.

• Liked — beach & beuatiful rooms/cabanas
  • Disliked — no restaurant at beachside, not much shady open psaces except own wonderful verandah
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank organicfamily
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

When we arrived at the property we were promptly greeted by Ricardo and with a sign in the main lounge welcoming us. Ricardo was extremely nice. He brought us to our cabin, Sueno Caribeno, and sent us up some welcome drinks. Our bungalow was incredible. It was beautifully maintained, very large and had incredible views, but was very secluded at the same time. The room had a queen size bed, a ceiling fan, French doors that open to view the ocean, a clothing storage unit with a safe, a large beautiful tile shower and sink and a separate toilet area. We always had hot water in the shower and a large bottle of water for drinking and brushing our teeth. (I’ve attached pictures). The property was very well maintained. We rented a car (which I highly recommend – but not from Hertz! I’ll explain below) and when we returned after dark someone would always meet us with a flashlight and escorted us onto the property. When we were at the beach, we were basically the only people there. The beach property was also kept very well. I would highly recommend staying in Sueno Caribeno. I unfortunately cannot attest to the quality of any other bungalows.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mander2007
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

Nueva Vida de Ramiero

Restaurants
Hechizo – Absolutely the BEST restaurant in Tulum. We were blown away by the quality of the food here. There are no menus here, the chef comes to the table and describes in detail all the delicious meals he had prepared. We ate here twice during our trip because it was so amazing. The choices of meals change depending on what the chef has fresh for the day. We had the mahi mahi, Chilean sea bass, lobster tail and flank steak. Everything was perfectly prepred – comparable to any NYC restaurant. You must try the flourless chocolate cake for dessert. I don’t even love chocolate and I was blown away by this.
Mezzanine – This place has great Thai food. The restaurant is very swanky looking – South Beach Miami style – but the prices are reasonable. The chicken pad thai was excellent. The portions are very large. You can easily split meals.
Zamas – I was shocked that the pizza was so good here. After living in NY and Italy I expected to be highly disappointed, but I wasn’t! And, the prices are very reasonable. They have live music every night which is so much fun! Also, the breakfast here was the best in Tulum. The coconut French toast was great!

Car Rental
I am a loyal Hertz customer and I made a reservation for a Jeep to be picked up 30 mins after our flight arrived. When we got to the rental counter (after waiting for 30 mins) the representative told us he had no cars left. Not only did they give away our reservation, but they had nothing to offer us but a Mini Van. They didn’t offer to give us a better rate or any compensation for not having the Jeep we had reserved. After about another 30 mins the Rep said he had a Jeep in the back that was “out of service” but could give us. The Jeep was so old and dirty, it had no top at all, no floorboards and looked like it was from the 1980s! Again, they offered us no discount on our rate or any compensation. We finally said we would take the Jeep. They Rep then told us we needed to pay an additional $50 a day for insurance and $1000 deposit!! I know insurance is encouraged down there but this was for a Jeep that probably wasn’t even worth $1000. After 2 hours in the store we got frustrated and walked next door to executive. They had us in a Jeep for $80 a day including insurance within 15 mins. Please save yourself the aggravation and rent from Executive. We had no problems driving to Tulum, the roads were fine and we didn’t run into any problems with the police or gas station attendants.

Overall the trip was absolutely amazing!!

9 Thank Mander2007