“Tulum is beautiful.”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #14 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed March 4, 2009

My wife and I truly enjoyed our relaxing stay at Nueva Vida. Our room (Herizonte Perdido) was beach front and second floor, providing a great view. We only had to open the curtains from the bed to watch the sun rise over the sea.
Tulum was easy to navigate (80 pesos for a taxi into town from NV) and an excellent tour into the biosphere was recommended by the staff. Other than that this place is designed for relaxation.
As all of the other reviews state, you give up some comforts to enjoy Tulum. Yes, the water in the bathroom is brackish and you don't feel so clean during your stay. True, you have dim lighting (we felt it was adaquate to read under) and no electrical outlets. If you are aware of these things going in, I don't see how you can complain about them. If you want Cancun, go to Cancun. We didn't. We loved it.
A great place to get away and the grounds were beautiful and yes, the coffee is tasty. We found the restaurant at the hotel next door (La Zebra) to be the best of the week. But, the natural setting at Nueva Vida was nicer than any other on the beach.
We wouldn't have changed a thing about it. Except maybe the price, which we chose to pay of course, but are curious how different could some of the other bungalows right on the beach that are less expensive really be?

1  Thank tannins

Reviewed February 28, 2009

What one should know right off the bat is that staying here is basically a camping experience with some personal comfort upgrades.
On the plus side:
a) The location is fabulous. You walk through a few feet of jungley vegetation to the cabins which are right on a lovely stretch of beach and the feeling of privacy prevails.

b) The cabins are very clean and the view of the ocean from the tiny porch was great. You fall asleep to the sound of the surf.

c) The beds are large and comfortable.

On the "negative" side:
a) The cabin is austere. While there was a small bouquet of wild flowers waiting for us on the bed on our arrival, there was nothing to put them in. So they just wilted lying on the window sill. The shower has hot water but the sink doesn't. The water has a ferocious sulphery smell.

b) The lighting at night consists of one tiny fluorescent bulb which is adequet for unpacking but not for reading and it gets dark at around 7 PM.

c) In such a small intimate setting I expect the desk staff to have extensive knowledge of the surrounding area and events (such that only a local would know) and be able to share that with the guests. Not here. If information doesn't exist in a brochure that you can pick up at the airport, don't expect to get it from the staff.
The entrance to a huge biological preserve is located 3km down the road and the brochures advertise that two tours (six hours and four hours) are available and that there is a visitor's center. The staff (several shifts) were unable to give any more information. What was in the visitor's center? Were there trails that one could walk without the six hour tour? Unknown!
The entire area has one of the most extensive networks of "cenotes" (sinkholes in the limestone, filled with fresh water). There are dozens of them within a short radius of Nueva Vida, all on private land and all requiring an admission fee. Which would the staff recommend? the largest? the most interesting? Unknown!
While we were there, in the town of Tulum, a circus happened to arrive in town. Also there was a parade down the mainstreet, with people in costume, celebrating Carneval, and terminating in a large gathering place where singers and dancers performed. Did the staff know about these events? If they did, they didn't let us know. We happened to find them while walking around town in the evening.

d) If, after checking in, you want to cut you stay short, you will not get one cent of your payment back. We booked two nights and it happened that the wind on the beach at that time was very strong. Too strong to lie on the beach. Way too strong to sit on the porch and read or drink Margharitas. If you can't do one of those things, there's really no point in being there. We tried to get out of the second night's reservation, even with a partial payment...no deal.

e) There is nothing unique about Neuva Vida. The cabins sit on a stretch of road and beach along with probably three dozen other self advertized "ecco-chic" establishments. I can't imagine much difference in what they physically provide.

In summary: This is camping in a beautiful location. There is nothing wrong with camping. But, I've done a lot of camping, all over the world, and never been charged $195 per night. (In comparison, a single night at the Hilton in Cancun will set you back $115!) And that is my basic complaint: poor value for money. At under $80 you'd be getting what you paid for.

4  Thank normsas
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We just returned from a truly amazing 5-night trip. Because I rely so heavily on tripadvisor for my own travels, I'll try to make this as helpful as possible. We are a young couple (early 30s), and would recommend this hotel for people looking for rest and relaxation. Very peaceful, and very romantic. Not good for children, nor is it good for college students.

Rooms

We stayed in Nave Inquieta. The photo of the bungalows does not do this particular room justice. While the photo suggests it is quite a bit removed from the water's edge, it is in fact very close to it, and the view is gorgeous and unobstructed. The room is indeed basic, certainly nothing luxurious, but the indulgent view makes up for it. From bed we could see the sea (without even sitting up!). The room was clean and cleaned daily (leaving a small tip helps). The only complaint was that the beach furniture was stored under the bungalow, so we'd hear people for about 30 minutes every morning). If you are very, very noise sensitive, and like sleeping in, this might wake you up. Otherwise, no big deal.

Beach

Beautiful, white sand. Very few people. Unusually comfortable lounging chairs/beds. Nice beach service from Casa Banana (restaurant on property). Easy to walk to other hotels, but still feels very private. Rarely were there more than 15 -20 people on NVs beachfront. I loved the lack of crowds. Some people like more of a "scene". Water is more choppy than other parts of the Caribbean, but it kept us cool on the beach and at night.

Location

Perfect location. Again, walkable to many other hotels, quick drive to the Pueblo. Car is recommended, but plenty of people on bikes, and a surplus of taxis.

General Service

Although the booking was a bit of a hassle, as the resposes took awhile (by US standards), the people who worked at the hotel were lovely. There was also security in the evening, so we always felt we were safe. We never felt like we were getting taken advantage of, and our final tab was accurate.

Casa Banana (restaurant)

Basic breakfast is included. We recommend an additional smoothie, as they are cheap and delicious (and would be far more expensive in the US). We also had beach service, which was very nice. The ceviche was great. Wilbur, is by far the friendliest and most accomodating waiter at CB.

Other restaurants: See restaurants section for Tulum

Final Comments

We've been to several destinations in the Caribbean, but this has been our favorite. While it is a bit rustic, NV provided us with the beauty and serenity that we were looking for. We will most certainly return.

2  Thank kelizp
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We loved our experience at NV.

Before my husband and I booked a hotel for our honeymoon in Tulum, I spent quite a bit of time looking over the TripAdvisor reviews. They were important in my decision making process so I wanted to return the favor to anyone else who is considering going there.

There was a previous post on here about the generator and construction. Yes, I heard the generator, but it was hardly audible and only once in awhile. The construction noise was not intrusive at all. I didn't know there was construction until we walked past it on the beach. We even commented to each other that, as we were lying on the beach (which was steps from our bungalow), all we could hear was the ocean and how wonderful that was.

We chose Tulum because we didn't want the all-inclusive huge hotels further north on the Yucatan. We wanted somewhere with more privacy and fewer people. Tulum was a GREAT choice for that. At NV, we genuinely felt like we got away, just the two of us, and that was the primary goal.

We wanted something simple and we were on a budget. NV is simple, but they take care of you. We were surprised that the top half of the bungalow wall was just lattice and open to the outside. But no birds, no bugs. It got a little chilly at night, but the staff gave us extra blankets. Accomodations are simple but it was all we needed.

We didn't have to sacrifice a nice beach to have privacy. NV had one of the best stretches of beach on the Tulum hotel zone coast. We ate at NV's restaurant many times, but also recommend Posada Margherita, La Zebra, and Zamas for food.

Don't go to NV if you want a flashy resort, lots of nightlife, air conditioning, or other large hotel amenities. NV is great because it gave us all that we really needed; rest, quiet, beautiful beach, accomodating staff, privacy, relaxation, and it was affordable. I loved it.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelinbadger
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Hello fellow travelers.

I highly recommend this place, and gratefully acknowledge Ricardo and Santiago for saving my vacation. I had arrived the night before from Chichen Itza, and was staying at Trecelunas.

The next morning, an Italian couple and myself checked out of Trecelunas (with a hefty monetary penalty....I will not bore you with the story, but do not stay there -- the photos and description are misleading, and there was no cleanliness or water or kindness) and luckily found Nueva Vida.

It's a beautiful and serene place. My room was on the second floor, and it felt like living in a tree canopy. It was a two minute walk to a beautiful beach, (where you can walk for two hours and just keep seeing lovely sand and sea) and breakfast was included at the Banana Cafe across the street. They serve incredible coffee and everything I tried on the menu was delicious and healthy.

The location is in close proximity of other beach front cabanas. If you like salsa music, walk to "Le Zebra" on Sunday night and watch the beautiful array of people enjoying life. "La Casa Violeta" also had lovely Italian food, and red wine, if you so desire.

I ran into a fabulous Swiss couple who had traveled (what appeared to me) the world, and they also loved Nueva Vida. In fact, they took all of their meals there, and stayed for six days before heading to Guatemala and Baja. I only wish I had not lost a day when I first arrived in Tulum, and that I had been able to spend my four days with Nueva Vida.

I felt like a person, and not just a tourist. And it's eco-travel (solar and wind powered) so you do not feel like a consumer. Bravo, Nueva Vida!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 5, 2008

First Time reviewing a hotel. This place is just absolutely fantastic. The service is great. We had a cabin right on the beach and every morning our breakfast was brought to our little front porch on time.... They helped us with everything from airport transportation to deliver my banana margaritas to the beach. Do not make mistake. This place is just the best!!!!!

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed November 17, 2008

For my seventh time to Tulum, I finally chose Nueva Vida de Ramiro, and the only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner! I stayed in Alma del Mar which, like all of the bungalows, is set in a beautiful tropical garden on the best stretch of beach of the entire Mexican Caribbean. I'll let my pictures of this awesome place speak for themselves instead of going on and on.

Wow, this is the perfect place to relax and recharge, chilling out in paradise!

The service was excellent, which makes all the difference. The manager and staff were attentive and always available and cheerful. Ricardo, the manager, knows you by name!

The security on the property was good and safety was not a concern. There was a guard on watch from dusk till after dawn.

NVR is a great value! There is only one other place I would consider that is in the same price range, but NVR's cabins are probably better quality overall and more private and have more character and variety of choice. Unlike what I have experienced at the other place, NVR's reservations was smooth, reliable, and professional.

It was so sad to have to leave, but I'll be back!!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank kennethgardnergmail