All reviewscasa bananala zebraocean breezebanana breadevery morningbeach bedsbeach servicehanging bedseco lodgesalt watertulum beachfresh fruitoutdoor showerthe security guardmosquito netsea turtlessound of the waves
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I have to admit we were a little taken aback at first, the room was Ola, it was all wood with wood shutter-type windows, and none of were used to staying on the breach in a tropical climate- it was damp inside and warm, but the location was absolutely stunning. The staff were so sweet. Casa Banana serves the best Chiapas coffee and their mole is delicious, as are their drinks and smoothies. Zog is the coolest dog- tell him hi for me.
I may need a/c next time I visit, but I'm a wimp. The beach could not be beat. We attended a wedding next door at La Zebra and we just walked down the beach about 50 yards to get there. When we left they were building a turtle habitat on the beach- so cool. I miss Tulum and La Nueva Vida already.

3  Thank superdeejayanna
Reviewed June 2, 2008

The price was a little high for us but it was well worth it! The beach was amazing. The staff very nice and helpful. The food at the resturant was not great but good. We stayed in Ola first, which i have to say was great but a little like camping for me. Sand was everywhere but thats to be expected! There was constant breezes which kept it cool in the day. I have to say i never slept so good in my life. The sound of the waves i think is what made that possible. Then we stayed in Sueno Caribeno for 2 nights. This room was very nice and got ever so slightly warm in the afternoon. I did see 2 bugs in the room but they were dead and surprisingly those were the only ones i saw the 10 days i was in mexico. I love this place and have great memories because of it.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Element_7
Reviewed May 26, 2008

My review:
Our stay here for our anniversary could not have been better. We did have some issues with getting our reservation due to a slow response time to our initial emails, but once we made contact it was smooth sailing. We rented a car for the drive from Cancun and were happy we did. It made transportation very easy. We stayed in the Ocean front room named Alma del Mar and were closer to the water then any other resort we saw. The breeze coming off the water made candles a challenge, but we had electricity 24/7 which was unexpected. We had a 2nd entrance that walked from the bathroom to the beach which we used constantly. Our room was cleaned and swept daily which was needed for all the sand. The only thing I would have changed would be the fact they used a mix of salt and fresh water for the shower and bathroom. We ended up buying a cheap 10 liter water to rinse off after our showers, but that was just my aversion to so much salt.

Wife's review:
Once we made it to the hotel, everything fell into place. The hassle of choosing a hotel (thank you to TripAdvisor and to all those who wrote reviews), flying a non-major airline, and renting a car seemed like too much trouble than what it was worth - until we made it to the hotel. Hotel is actually an inappropriate word - this place consists of a handful of bungalows, each on stilts with thatched roofs. They are placed intermittently among an untouched forest that fronts the beach. When we first walked up, the "quiet room," which is an open air library type area, had a welcome sign with our name on it. The lady manning the front office (also made out of wood & thatch), was kind, and we talked to her about not paying for the previous night (we missed our flight and arrived a day late). There wasn't a way around it, and we knew the policy, so we still had to pay for the night we missed.

Our cabana was amazing. It sat right on the beach, a stone's throw from the tide. The deck was exactly as we had imagined; it was identical to the photos that are on the hotel's website. Two fabulous Adirondack chairs, one round table, and a hammock. The cabana is large and full of windows. All windows have wooden blinds that can flip open or closed. It was constantly windy, so even though the temperatures ran high, we didn't ever have a need for the ceiling fan in our room, let alone air conditioning. The bathroom had a separate shower area, with two shower heads, and a separate toilet area with running water and a door that closes. We were warned that we wouldn't have electricity all day, but lights were available all the time. The cabana doesn't have any electrical outlets; even the ones that do are not permitted for use. My husband was a little frustrated that the water for use in the bathroom (sink & shower) was not fresh, but somewhat brackish. He couldn't wash off the salt from the ocean. We bought a 10L jug of fresh water from a grocery store, and he used that occasionally.

The staff was always friendly; we had restaurant recommendations, a clean room every day, and help with directions when needed. The best day was when we took kiteboarding lessons - I would recommend doing this the first day you arrive so that you have the rest of your days there to go back and kiteboard. The best restaurant by far was next door to us, La Zebra.

I would love to go back, next time with a group of friends in an even larger cabana. Nueva Vida will always be special to me.

4  Thank Serat808
Reviewed May 21, 2008

We loved everything. And I mean everything.
Even if there was an AC, we would never use it anyway, since the breeze coming from the beach was so cool and refreshing. Definitely get one of those fresh squeezed juices from the restaurant belonging to the hotel, they are amazing! I treated myself with one every day. They even deliver to your hotel room and even beach. I was a bit worried about the salty water shower, as I have never experienced it. I actually ended up loving it, it felt really healthy and actually cleared out my skin. The stuff was very friendly, the grounds were amazingly clean and beautiful. We ended up extending our stay there, because there was simply no better place to go. We found paradise!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mlovestotravel
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Great stay with a group of friends in April of 2008.

Check in was a breeze, staff was helpful and attentive - we didn't need any assistance but always someone available if we had. Parking spot available for each room.

The house had a well appointed kitchen, plenty of space for us and the bedrooms were comfortable and spacious. Remember to bring salt water soap as shower water is brackish - salt/fresh water mixed together.

Location is perfect - good stretch of beach, almost private as lot next door not developed. Casa Banana Restaurant acrosss the street, other resorts short walk down the beach/road for more options. We ended up eating in town a lot as was cheaper and food was a bit better.

Would return again and again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends