“Beautiful Beachside Villas”

Ranked #13 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Beautiful Beachside Villas”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Beautiful beach side villas, great restaurant and centrally located!

Friendly staff. Good food.

Serene surroundings with natural beauty.

Lovely natural toiletries provided!

Private but close to lots.

I would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room number 7 was easy to get to from reception and perfect beach access.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
Washington DC
Reviewed May 21, 2013

So, you can read my review about Piedra Escondido, where we had quite the noisy and restless experience. NVR is the opposite -- totally peaceful and tranquil. All you can hear at night is the ocean waves and all you can see is endless beach and endless sea. (PE has an enclosed beach)

The highlights or NVR are manifold: first the cabanas are all set way back from the main road -- separated by a healthy amount of "jungle," so there is absolutely no road noise. Second, the cabanas are all very clean, well-designed, properly maintained. Third, the beach is gorgeous -- sandy white and expansive. Fourth, the hospitality is high-standard.

Perhaps the only quibble is that the breakfast is a bit limited (starch and fruit, some eggs would be nice) and the restaurant (where you have breakfast) is not facing the ocean but is street side. But you can have breakfast delivered to your room, which is a nice service.

This is *the* getaway for couples. A bit pricey but worth it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear shaghaidc:

Thank you for taking a minute of your time to review Nueva Vida de Ramiro. It is comforting to know that our guests value the privacy and romanticism of the grounds and rooms. We thrive to offer the best service possible to ensure the guests feel at home, safe and taken care off and to see the word high-standard service is most rewarding. We now offer another choice of breakfast as well, say a little more brunchy at a restaurant in downtown Tulum. The idea is for the guest to have another choice. Some prefer to get the voucher for the restaurant downtown specally if planning to have a long day visiting the infinate choices of activities that can be found around Quintana Roo.
atl
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a lovely week staying at this hotel in April 2013. We stayed in the affordable Ave de Paraiso studio, which had screened in sliding doors that opened onto a balcony that was literally inside the palm trees. The very pink room was large and featured a high vaulted ceiling, a kitchenette with a small refrigerator that we were ever so grateful for, a small dressing area and a bathroom with an indoor and an outdoor shower. I read another review that mentioned the odor of the water, and yeah, it's not the most pleasant, and don't drink it, drink the water that they supply for you! We didn't have many bugs, but we did have geckos running around. they didn't bother us and i found their clicking at night amusing.

The beach was a quick walk through the palms, and if you watch closely you will see iguanas or even the awesome Jesus Lizard that runs on his little hind legs!! The beach beds are wonderful and so are the stick cabanas that supply much needed shade in that bright bright sun! Some have hammocks. The hanging beach beds are a great place to read.

Casa Banana... Great for your free breakfast. The homemade hearth baked bread is outstanding. On our last day we asked to buy another loaf for our drive to the airport and the sweet waitress just gave us one. The bread, the fresh-squeezed juice du jour, coffee, and the fruit platter are typically plenty of breakfast for two, however if you know you will be exerting energy later (cenotes, snorkeling, hiking, paddling, or for the truly adventurous kite-boarding) you might want to order a little protein to go with it. I think we ordered one dish to split 2 or 3 times, but the rest of the time we happily ate the bread and fruit. damn, i miss that bread. We never once got the promised banana bread, but we were only minimally disappointed. Dinner at Casa Banana is another experience all together. We went our first night as it was dark (this is no lie, it is very dark there. Bring flashlights, you will be glad you did) and we were tired and hungry and it was just right there. The ambiance is great. The food is not. over priced and not that good. Go to Simple! it's great! El Tabano is very good too. Mezzanine Thai was amazing and is right on the beach. Ginger is in town and worth it. Zamas is good for lunch. One of our best meals was at Cesiak, in Sian-Ka'an. We went on a boat out around the mangroves, saw birds and crocodiles, floated for about an hour which was sweet relief after a hot boat ride and checking out a small mayan temple. Our lunch was simply grilled fish with a garlic sauce, some rice and tortillas. it was so so good.
During our week we went to numerous cenotes and akumal, and one day we got an ocean kayak, but we were always so happy to come back to Nueva Vida de Ramiro afterwards. We would load up our cooler with the cold drinks from our fridge, grab our books and settle down onto a beach bed for a few hours of relaxation before getting ready for dinner. It was bliss.

Room Tip: the rooms on the beach were out of our price range... maybe next time!! our room was hot during the...
2 Thank lauren p
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is our second year in a row to NVDR. We stayed in room 18 (sister room to 19) both times. We find both of these rooms to be an excellent value.

NVDR is run by wonderful people. It is readily apparent that the staff enjoys their jobs. I assume that it is reflective of the family atmosphere of the hotel. I think that guests need to understand you will not be fawned over at NVDR. What you will find are genuine people that will share themselves with you if you just take the time to try and get to know them. This opens up a whole new world. That's what traveling is all about.

I have to admit that when I read complaints I chuckle a bit. I found the breakfasts to be very good. The fruit was always fresh and the bread portion was more than plentiful (and tasty and fresh) for my wife and myself. I saw no problem paying for an x-tra cup of coffee. Sure Americans like their free refills but this is another country with its traditions. The beach lunches were great. Guac, calamari, club sammy and burgers were sampled. Chino took fine care of us.

One thing that changed from our 2012 trip was that there was always a security guard on the beach. The guard was neither intrusive or threatening. Frankly, it was somewhat comforting. We walked the beach in both directions every day and this was the only hotel where I saw any security. I was thankful the day that security asked a dog walker to clean up his dog's mess on our beach. There was also security at night. When we retured to room after dark we were asked to show our key. This gave us a good sense of security. Also, there was a lifeguard. Again, the only place that one was seen.

I was able to view some of the other rooms during our last stay. NVDR is a place that well suited for all budgets. I found the Corazon rooms to be quite luxurious. Perhaps, if you are used to 4 and 5 star places then this might be roughing it for you. Aside from a few places in Tulum, you're not going to get that type of luxury in the area. You will have slightly salty water, the occasional bug and lizard (they live there) and wind. If you want a pool, look somewhere else.

Our first two trips to Tulum were spent at other locations. Both had their high points but overall there was no comparison with NVDR.

Of course, a review would not be complete without suggestions. It would be great if there would be a couple of kayaks for use by the guests. This was offered next door at LaZebra. My only other offering would be if the staff would pick up what trash blows onto the beach during the overnight. That's really all I can think of.

I encourage readers to read my friend Jeremy Gearries' reviews. He's a regular. Jeremy is incredibly thorough and posts great photos.

2 Thank Bruce V
Dear BruceV:

Thank you for such a thoughful and inspired review. You truly captured what Nueva Vida de Ramiro is all about. We do enjoy our jobs as you well stated and even more when we receive compliments like yours. I will make sure to tell all our wonderful and dedicated staff that their great vibe doesn't go unnoticed.
Regarding the coffee situation, it has changed after the reviews you mentioned and now the coffee as well as the fruit and bread offered at breakfast are unlimited and without a drecrease in the quality.
You were, are and will be more than welcomed everytime !!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went in April and had a great time relaxing on the beach. Room was litterally steps from the beach with an incredible view and there was a constant ocean breeze. Only draw back was the bathroom which smells weird because of the water which you can't drink so get some bottled water. Location is excellent with lots of things nearby. Casa Banana across the street has great food and people are wonderful.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had read what to expect. No A/C, water pressure could be so so, electricity could be spotty. Being the priss I am, I am pretty surprised at how well it went.

I loved the grounds and my room at NVR. The staff was great, always smiling. The beach is amazing, there were always plenty of chairs, umbrellas and not much of the "towel game." A continental breakfast is included with your stay at Casa Banana where you get juice/coffee/tea (juice is fresh squeezed), fresh fruit and typically a small loaf of bread served with butter and a very good jam (for sale at the bar if you want to bring some home).

The view and sound of the ocean from my room was great (Viento del Mar), the stars were unbelievable as I had forgotten what the night sky can look like. Being in the jungle it was neat to see some of the creatures on the grounds as well. Remember you're basically in the jungle that we share. Fortunately I didn't have to share my room with said creatures.

If there was one complaint it would be I had a hard time sleeping. The beds are a bit stiff for my liking but I think this is a mexico thing as the previous 3 beds I have used in mexico were similar. And of course the heat didn't help. I left my patio doors open at night and used the fan but still couldn't generate enough air flow with the front door closed. If they would put a lockable screen door on the front it would allow for plenty of airflow and keep the room much cooler and I'd be returning for certain on my next trip to Mexico (on top of not having to use the fan)!

Don't visit Tulum if you want Air Conditioned villas, a bug/critter free zone, perfect wireless service, electrical outlets, steaming hot well pressured showers and to flush everything in the toilet.

Visit Tulum and NVR if you want a great getaway from reality with amazing beaches and a gorgeous hotel setting.

PS
I lied, one more complaint, no Tortugas during my stay! All kidding aside the hotel and the region does a great job promoting the well being on the mama turtles I just wish I would have been lucky enough to have seen it in action.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank seattleguy15
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I planned a last minute trip here and was able to get a room for the first night - we were looking for a very "Tulum" place to stay for a romantic, relaxing holiday. Tulum kind of place being hip but simple and bohemian, true to the local flavor and not fancy, but definitely comfortable and private. Because it was last minute, we weren't able to book a solid room for the entirety of our stay and instead changed rooms every night. Every room we had was incredibly right on the perfect white sand beach, going to sleep with the gently ocean breeze was a dream.

I can't say enough for how kind and accommodating the staff was here - definitely the reason we decided to stay here our entire trip (instead of moving to a new place as was our original plan after the first night). On top of it, the included breakfast and excellent service at a very reasonable price made it perfect.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in rooms/cabanas with the ocean front - the view is worth it! May is also a great t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carrie2play
Dear carrie2play:

Reviews like yours make our effort to accomodate our guests, a true pleasure. We are so glad that you were able to try different rooms on your stay, we do recommend guests to do so since each one has a it's own personal touch and can choose from truly rustic to modern rustic, to outside private showers in the jungle. Make no mistake, everyone who has tried it, has left loving the changes. If you should decide to come back, don't forget to try the new Cabana called Beso, a huge round structure with a terracce overlooking the jungle and equipped with a small kitchen and refrigerator. Don't miss it.
Thank you very much for your wonderful review