“Lovely, with a few caveats”

Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just back from a week long stay at Nueva Vida de Ramiro. Overall, the place is perfect. Beautiful private beach with 24-hour security and a lifeguard during the day, the only place we noticed to have both. The beach itself was the most spacious and well-kept compared to other accommodations along the water. I also think NVR supplies some of the best beach furniture compared to other hotels . . comfy chairs, beds, hammocks, umbrellas. The bungalows are tucked away in the "jungle" and along the beach, all very private. Guests only need to follow a sand path to the beach, perfect. I liked that as a guest you didn't feel cramped, always bumping into other guests or forced to sit next to them on the beach. It's really a magical place in that regard, allowing you to disconnect from it all. The complimentary continental breakfast is very tasty consisting of fresh fruit, warm bread with butter and jam, fresh juice, coffee and tea.

Now, a few caveats. First, the breakfast. NVR guests have the option of breakfast in the bungalow, or across the street at Casa Banana. While the continental breakfast is yummy the lack of a protein is a problem, the breakfast is not very filling and the addition of yogurt and granola or maybe some sliced meats would be a nice improvement. Guests can order a breakfast entree, but of the ones I tried I wasn't impressed and again a continental breakfast typically consists of just a little more food. I wasn't sure if it was okay to ask for more fruit and bread. It appeared every table got the same amount, whether two people or four people. While the Casa Banana staff is friendly enough, service is VERY slow. Couldn't really figure out why as the majority of customers have the continental breakfast which only requires placing two trays of food on a table. Was nearly impossible to get a coffee refill or a check to sign without waiting for 15 minutes.

Now, the bungalow. We stayed in #13, Casa Espiritu Maya, which was the only bungalow available during our stay for our party of three. Definitely wouldn't have been our first choice for a number of reasons, but we opted to book Espiritu anyway because we were set on NVR after reading such wonderful reviews. Espiritu is VERY rustic. Very traditional, as the description indicates. The rooms are nothing like most of the rooms pictured in descriptions of the other bungalows. This isn't meant to be a negative, but I think it's important for future guests to be aware of. For example, if you wake up in the middle of the night and need to use the bathroom you need to find a flashlight, navigate the stairs and make your way to the separate building. Again, not meant to be a negative, but I don't think it's for everyone. The main bedroom upstairs is fine, sparse, but all you need is a bed on vacation. Was really nice to wake up under the mosquito netting to the sun coming in. Would be nice to have screens on the windows, if only to avoid letting bugs in all night (screens are on the downstairs windows). Also, a few more hooks & hangers for clothes would be a great improvement and perhaps a full-length mirror (or any mirror for that matter). The tiny mirror in the bathroom just isn't enough, and is hung rather low, requiring anyone over 5'5 to hunch over to actually use the mirror. The balcony with seating for 6 and the 2 hammocks is amazing. The balcony itself is the best part of the bungalow, in general the bungalow has a lot of outdoor space, which is nice.

Now, the lower level, kitchen & bath. The sleeping area is again sparse and rather dark. Because it's so close to the ground it doesn't have what I'd call a musty smell, but maybe a moist smell after it rains. Not sure if I'd love spending a week sleeping in the main area, this space is probably better suited for older children, not necessarily a couple looking for a romantic beach vacation, or maybe a group of (non-picky) friends. I wonder if it's possible to liven up the space so it feels more cheerful. The kitchen, in a separate building, is basic (medium sized fridge, gas stovetop, sink, water for cooking & drinking, table, chairs); good for basic cooking, not necessarily gourmet meals. The bathroom as I mentioned earlier is in a separate building and appointed for only basic needs (don't bother to bring a hairdryer, curling iron or anything else for that matter).

Last, location. I personally loved the location, but it is about 2 miles or so from the main area where most of the restaurants and shops are located. Simple, Casa Banana and Le Zebra just down the road are all good, so it's not lacking dining alternatives within close proximity, but it is a little "out of the way," for lack of a better word. That said, taxis & bikes are plentiful and the walk really isn't that bad.

My comments are only meant to give an accurate description so future guests understand that #13 may be better suited for a family with older children, a group of non-picky friends, siblings, girlfriend getaway (non-high maintenance types). I would definitely go back to NVR and had a great time, but would stay in a different bungalow only because I think I've experienced the rustic beach bungalow, and while I had a great trip, I think I want just a little more in an accommodation, doesn't have to be a luxury accommodation, but maybe the bathroom a little closer to the bedroom.

Room Tip: #13 better suited for families, girlfriend getaway. Basically non-high maintenance types. Not so m...
4  Thank uwred1
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear unwed1:

Your review has been most helpful, not only for us but surely for other readers as well. Thanks to it we have already sent an order for two full body mirrors for the room with that rustic look you have mentioned and are looking into adding some bright colors to contrast the bare wood. We take pride in the fact that we can offer a variety of styles within our rooms, and rustic is definitely one of them, but improvements can absolutely be made within each style. Although the lack of outlets in the bathroom is present in the rooms because of eco-friendly, not only rustic reasons, we are solar powered and dryers and irons consume a lot of energy, and will most probably empty the energy supplies generated during the day.
In regards to the breakfast we have already partnered with a restaurant in town which is famous for their egg based Azteca and Mayan Breakfast, so you can also opt for a typical mexican flavor with lots of protein indeed in Tulum downtown at no extra cost.
If you should decide to come back, do not hesitate on contacting us to recommend the best bungalow based on your needs.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here March 2013. I actually wrote another review but I guess it was too negative. Suffice it to say then, that if you like unclean rooms, the odour of raw sewage wafting into your unit in the mornings, as well as an overall smell reminiscent of a public washroom in your accommodations, this is the place for you! Beautiful surroundings and most outstanding beach we have ever seen or experienced. But really, the hotel itself charges a lot of money for what adds up to minimally serviced accommodations to say the least. We were also put off by the use of a sheer curtain instead of a door in the toilet room. Perhaps privacy isn't important for most eco-tourists but in order to appeal to most others one would think this would be an important consideration. We will never go again, and warn anyone who likes their luxuries (and at this price, one should expect some level of luxury, or at least cleanliness!), this is not the place to go!

5  Thank HCTKBT

Dear HCTKBT:

We are very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience at our hotel and truly regret that during your long stay you or your family did not mention the lack of cleanliness and the foul odor your are referring to, since we could have identified the source right then and there and corrected both situations. Needless to say we have been put into action our full maintenance crew to investigate any possible leak and to supervise the pipeline system integrity that may have caused your discomfort.
We appreciate very much your comment regarding the toilet door and will be installing one next week, as you well stated, in consideration for all types of guest.
Again, we are sorry you could not completely enjoy your vacation.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked this after much research on Tripadvisor and debating whether we could afford it... the minute we got there we knew it had been sooo worth it! With our cabana sitting right on the beach, the view was as good as it gets. Highly recommend getting one of these vs. the ones that are set back a bit. Looking at the changing colours of the Caribbean while swinging in the hammock outside the room is definitely worth paying extra for!
The cabana was very prettily decorated and nicely spacious, with much more charm than a standard chain hotel / resort type room. The shower in the bathroom is salt water but we got used to that pretty quickly. However the lack of air-con did make it practically impossible to sleep in the July heat and humidity. We did think about sleeping in the hammock outside where the sea breeze was very pleasant, but then the mozzies get you! We were sleeping sunbathing on the beach most of the day anyway, so even lack of sleep at night wasn't too much of a bother. It would probably be much better in the slightly cooler months of Apr/May.
The Casa Banana restaurant across the road was handy for a quick snack. They did manage to get meat in a dish of veggie fajitas, but were very apologetic and gave us free icecream to compensate. Fair enough! There were also plenty of other restaurants within walking distance along the beach.
The hotel had a large range of activities and sightseeing tours on offer. We booked one to Chichen Itza. Maybe a bit more expensive vs. doing it on our own; but it included a stop off at a cenote (an underground freshwater pool), where swimming in the crystal blue water was absolutely magical.
All in all the hotel with its perfect location made our holiday absolutely wonderful.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PecanFudgePie
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Nueva Vida de Ramiro mid March 2013 while attending my niece's wedding. From the very start we knew this was a special place. The Welcome Area was an open area covered by a thatched roof and perfectly inviting. A cool breeze and a very gracious welcoming greeted us. Unlike must of the other hotels on the beach in Tulum this spot has both beach and jungle bungalows. We stayed in one of the jungle rooms as although we could not see the beach it was just as enjoyable. The vegetation was very thick and provided total privacy. The beach was only a few steps away. You might think there would be a bunch of bugs but there really was not. The bed had mosquito netting but no need for it. We were able to have a room for my wife and me and the kids had the room below us. Each had an indoor and outdoor shower which was delightful. They were brightly painted and comfortable. The rates were reasonable and it included a Continental Breakfast each day of FRESH fruit and wonderful fresh bread and jam at the hotels restaurant Casa Banana. This was nice since not all hotels do this. We never felt unsafe in Tulum but the Nueva Vida made us feel even more safe with 24 hr security both at the street entrance and the beach entrance. I don't think many other hotels do this. One final thing. On the beach they had some of the better cabanas with full roof to help keep you in the shade. It is so easy to get a bad sunburn in that area of the world and this help you enjoy the sun but not get fried. So I wold highly recommend the Nueva Vida de Ramiro.

Room Tip: We chose a room not on the beach mainly because we wanted to save a few bucks, and how much time do...
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my second time at Nueva Vida--the first was in November 2009 and Tulum was sleepy and peaceful. Casa Banana across the street on the jungle side of the beach road served simple varied meals and provided beach service on warm days. I quickly became accustomed to the salt-water shower and the rather dim lighting in the room, traveled alone everywhere without a concern for my safety, and walked the beach, the beach road, ate local and simple, read alot by flashlight on the front porch of my beachfront cabana and came away in love with the place.

My husband and I went back on this trip, in mid-March for five days. We stayed in Room 19, which was high above the treetops, with two very private decks from which we watched the sky darken and the birds swoop over, and waited for the stars to come out. It was great, except for the bed which my husband commented must have been requisitioned from a Mexican prison. Seriously, it was our ONLY complaint about Nueva Vida and brought our rating from 5 to 4. The wifi was weak, but who comes to paradise to surf the web? The staff was helpful, friendly, and we had a great time despite the really lousy weather that kept us off the beach for most of the trip (15 mph winds make it a little tough to enjoy the beach unless you are looking to have your skin peeled off!)

First day we rented bikes and rode all over--20 miles was the estimate. The second day was a scooter rental, and we saw the Tulum ruins and endured the bumpy ride to Sian Ka'an just in time for a three-hour downpour. My husband rides mortorcycles at home, and I felt safe perched on the back. The third day it rained pretty much all day, and we stayed in and read, played cards and took a taxi in to Tulum Pueblo and wondered around as the rain slowed in the evening. Fourth day was sunny and warm, and we laid on the beach, swam and enjoyed the sun.

One way that Tulum beach area has really changed is the restaurants. We spent about 80 dollars a night (with drinks) at a couple of spots up and down the beach road on the jungle side--Simple (which was fantastic, with fresh seafood and great waiters) and at Casa Banana. You have to try the jalapeno margarita! We also had pizza and fish at La Onda which was a good bit cheaper. No more simple cuisine at Casa Banana--really really good food but nothing easy like soups, or quesadillas with Mayan spinach at lunch ( I asked). We at lunch in Tulum Peublo a couple of time, at Don Cafeto's and another spot which I cannot recall, which was marvelous.

Breakfast (included in the room rate) is fantastic at Casa Banana. Fresh fruit, and lots of it, great freshly great bread and good coffee, and just across the way! But the surprise treat was a voucher for breakfast at Don Cafeto's. Now that was a breakfast. Go for the Aztec breakfast with steak--fantastic. The Mayan breakfast was also very good with green peas on top of eggs and sauce and cheese.

If we ever go back, my husband wants to stay in town, for something a little more hopping. I am happy at either spot. And we took the ADO bus from Cancun airport and back for about 40% of what a taxi charges, and enjoyed the slightly slower pace of the 2.5 or so hour ride.

Dear vcom:

Thank you for your review, wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that after reading it we are changing the prison bed for a personally tested comfortable mattress and have finally made our Wifi work much better, even if some guest have been bummed out by the fact that there is any wifi going on at the rooms. The total "disconnection" is now up to our guests.
We look forward to your future visit to Tulum, town or beach, don't hesitate to visit us and have one of those Jalapeño Margaritas. Tell your husband we will try to make the weather behave next time, it is still a little windy, maybe look into coming between may and august and also have a glimpse at the turtles coming up to the beach.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Let's put it this way...

My wife woke up with a roach crawling over her. She still wants to come back here really bad.

The Room --
We stayed 6 nights in room #18. The room was clean, small, and cozy. The balcony was large, private, and comfortable. We spent one morning just reading on the balcony when it was raining. The bed was a change for me in that it was fairly firm...but I actually liked it. The safe was easy to use and we felt very secure leaving things in it. It is mounted to the wall and you can set your own combination code. As far as the restroom goes, it takes a minute for the hot water to get to the shower, but you can look over palm trees and feel the beach breeze while you wait. And also ... they got that toilet paper thing going on. But everyone on the Yucatan seems to have that going on.

The Staff --
The staff was always friendly and helpful. We didn't really ask for much though. The room was cleaned daily very well. Staff / security is on the properly 24 hours which is kind of nice.

The Beach --
The beach was a dream. We spent a lot of time in a bed hammock. It is a queen size bed suspended under a shelter. Great for reading, sleeping, dozing, looking, etc. The sand was a white sugar sand. The beach itself was nice for walking...we ended up taking numerous walks. Some to dinner or lunch, some just for walking's sake.

The Breakfast --
A continental breakfast is provided every day at Cafe Banana. It was a good selection of fruits and breads along with coffee and juice. On most days, it was enough so we did not need lunch. A quirk was that it was served somewhat haphazard. Sometimes the bread came first or one time we didn't get juice. Also, they do not expect you to drink more than one cup of coffee. I had to ask for another cup. I assume this is just the way things are here.

OVERALL --
As I said, a roach climbed over my wife and she still LOVED the place. I assume that even at the best places in Tulum, you end up dealing with the idiosyncrasies. Hey... if you want someone to refill your coffee without being asked, stay in the USA.

Take it in stride and it is an amazing place.

Oh yeah, and did I mentioned I paid $125 a night for the room?

Room Tip: Room #18 is an amazing deal if you are traveling for two. It has a good view, a private balcony, an...
2  Thank shorembo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

So glad we chose to stay here (Estrella del Amanceer) for our 25th anniversary adventure to Tulum. Ricardo was always very helpful, and all the staff was friendly. I'm not sure the 24 hour security guard was needed, but I have to say it felt reassuring to know he was there. We slept with the balcony doors open every night. Casa Banana was okay, the free breakfasts were just right, but the one lunch we had there wasn't that hot. The best meals we had were in town (see my trip report). Tips for Nueva Vida if you're a first timer/things I wish I'd known: the safe is 8x8x12, big enough for wallets and passports, Ipods and camera, but not a laptop. Bikes are available for $10 for a 24 hour period. If you walk out the entrance of Nueva Vida and turn left, there's a small convenience store about 2 minutes away that sells ice.

Room Tip: You can see the ocean from Estrella del Amanceer, and it's cheaper than the direct oceanfront ro...

Dear Cowgilr41:

So honored to have made such an important event as your 25th anniversary as pleasant as possible. Congratulations again on your anniversary and we hope celebrate many more !!!