“One of the best restaurants in Tulum”
Review of Tres Galeones

Tres Galeones
Ranked #157 of 572 Restaurants in Tulum
Reviewed June 10, 2019 via mobile

On Avenida Tulum there is a small restaurant with a facade covered in Bougainvillea that serves some of the best Mexican food we’ve had since moving to Tulum. But that’s not why you should go. They have live music one or two nights a week and whoever is hiring these performers knows what she or he is doing. We’ve heard a jazz duo with a monster guitar player and alto sax player that rivals anything we’ve heard in our 20+ years in New York or 15+ years in LA. We’ve also heard a Latín inspired band with a singer who not only has monster “pipes” but in addition kills it on percussion and - get this: Trombone. Yeah that’s right. And then there’s the drinks. Perfect. Yes just plain perfect. Best Margarita I’ve had in our 7 months living n Tulum. And the wait staff is lovable: kind, attentive and helpful. The crowd is s mix of locals and a few tourists ... but mostly locals. And all at prices you will not believe... I mean embarrassingly affordable. Maybe I shouldn’t post this because we love our little secret favorite joint!

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 10, 2019 via mobile

Returned here a second time after the amazing tacos and found the burritos were just as good. Had the marlin and the beef.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

Pros:
* The food is really good.
* Great location, on yhe main street
* Very cozy decorated
* Tables inside or outside
* Very friendly staff, fairly fast service

Cons:
* That was the biggest bummer for me: the check arrived with a "suggested" tip already printed. I mean, there was no total before tip - the restaurant leaves it to you to accept their suggestion, or go calculate your total yourself, while your server is watching. I really hate it when restaurants try to guilt you like that into leaving bigger tips.
* Not cheap. A small salad with stirred tuna is 180 pesos. A taco (great tacos, to be fair) are >50 pesos each.
* The live music was very, very loud (probably to attract passerbys). Sitting outside, I was still uncomfortable.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

Genuinely the best tacos I've eaten in my life. We tried the tuna tostada, pescado carnitas taco, soft shell crab taco, pescado al pastor taco.

All were amazing. The tuna was the unbelievably good. 10/10.

Estos fueron los tacos más deliciosos que probamos. Recomendadisimo el tostado de atún

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at the beach and went downtown a few times. Ended up here by chance having looked in the highly rated Farm to Table which was dead and walked on a bit. Great food in a place with pleasant relaxed ambience and decent service at reasonable (for Tulum) prices. What is not to like!

Do not post a lot but having post meal seen other reviews wanted to redress the balance.

Date of visit: April 2019