“Israel--our amazing guide!”

Mayan Adventure Snorkeling Tour from Playa del Carmen or Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 393 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are committed to create unique and unforgettable adventures for our guests by providing warm and personalized attention; our excursions aim to show you the beauty and mysticism of the Mayan culture while enjoying the adrenaline rush of our adventures in a family and eco-friendly environment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were on our honeymoon in Mexico and visited this Mayan Extreme Adventure. Israel or "Izzy" as he let us call him was an unbelievable guide. He had a great sense of humor and kept us laughing the whole time we were with him. He answered all our questions and became like a friend the minute we were with him. I was very uneasy and scared about the repelling and the zip-lining but with his encouragement and his great sense of humor he made me feel more at ease and I actually did it! We plan on going back next year with our friends and we want to go here again but will not do it without having Israel as our guide. I wish he was our guide for all the tours we went on. He was a real pleasure!

AventurasMayas1, Manager at Aventuras Mayas, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your adventure with the rest of the world! We’re thrilled to read you had such a great day with Israel a.k.a. Izzy, we’ll make sure he gets your comments . It's an honor that you chose our company on such a special ocassion ...FELICIDADES... and thank you for recommending our adventures to your fellow travelers - muchas gracias

Write a ReviewReviews (8,193)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We did the snorkeling tour where we got to experience zip-lining into an open cenote, swim in a cave, and snorkel an ocean inlet. Our tour guide, Nacho, was super friendly, informative and gave personal attention. He is really cool. We got to see bats, turquoise-browed motmots, hundreds of fish and even stingrays! This trip gives you the opportunity to experience the beauty of nature and in the comfort of a small group. It never felt crowded and never rushed. Lunch was amazing, and you are never pushed outside your comfort level if you aren’t a good swimmer. Overall, a must-do for the whole family!

AventurasMayas1, Manager at Aventuras Mayas, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

We are honored to read your comments and grateful for recomending us to the rest of the world, we will make sure to congratulate Nacho for his top notch service. Gracias

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our group had a wonderful experience and would recommend this excursion to anyone. Our guide Mundo was amazing and made the trip even better!

Thank you so much for a great review and sharing your experience with the rest of the world. We´re glad to read you had a great day with Mundo. We´d be honored to show you another thrilling day on your next Mexican holiday. Hasta la vista

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We did the "Snorkeling Extreme" package which included snorkeling at what I believe was Akumal beach and then going to Aventuras Mayas private park in the jungle for snorkeling in a cenote, zip-lining, and rappelling. Fanny, our tour guide, was warm, funny, and informative. She really made the tour for us! Intelligent, easygoing, and very encouraging to the two youngsters who were there with another couple, Fanny put us at ease and set a great tone for the day.

While snorkeling at the beach we saw probably a dozen enormous sea turtles (and one little one!), some parrot fish, a handful of other beautiful reef fishes, and sting rays (well below us!). The snorkeling tour seemed fairly intense -- maybe we stayed out longer because there were no weak swimmers in our group -- but it would have been hard some people. I did find myself getting tired although I am an experienced snorkeler. They do provide masks and snorkels, though I was happy I had brought my own (I like having a valve on my snorkel and a mask that I know fits well). They do require you to wear life vests, but you may inflate them as you choose and can easily change the amount of buoyancy while you snorkel. Fins are also provided, and though I usually opt out, I was glad that I had chosen to wear them. It would have been hard to keep up for this duration of time without them. The beach itself is very beautiful. The reef was not as pretty as some we have seen, but the water is shallow and you can see what there is very clearly.

The cenote was probably my favorite part of the day. I am perpetually cold, but even I was able to adjust to the cool water (~70 deg) in the cave. It was worth it for the beauty of the space. It is not a large cave, but it is not a long tour. You can just spend time swimming around the main cavern and enjoying what you can see as you are comfortable. The sights down below are astounding. You quickly realize that you are just seeing a tiny bit of what is actually there. The water is clear as glass and the cave formations are quite beautiful.

We had lunch after snorkeling the cenote -- usually lunch is provided after the main attractions for the day are complete, but the drive down from Cancun was so long that they let us eat early. Lunch consisted of chicken, fresh corn tortillas, rice, beans, guacamole, chips, etc. The food was tasty.

Zip-lining: Three lines, steadily increasing in duration. I'm a little scared of heights, but it was very fun! By the third line, I felt very relaxed. There are lots of stairs to climb, but it's worth it!

Rappelling: Probably not thrilling for an experienced climber, but it was a cool introduction for us. Neither of us had rappelled before. We climbed up a tower and rappelled down with our legs dangling freely. It was neat way to experience something new.

Facilities: The bathrooms, lunch area, and vans are immaculate. We were grateful!

Summary: This was a terrific day of fun, though coming from Cancun it really was a full day. We would definitely bring friends to do it with us again. The small groups (~12) make this feel intimate and fun. We had a great time getting to know the other members of our group throughout the day. Everything felt friendly and laid-back. A perfect getaway!

Thank you for sharing your adventure with the rest of the world! We’re thrilled to read you had such a great day in the company of Fanny. It's an honor that you recommend our adventures to your fellow travelers - muchas gracias

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Fantastic, well organized, exciting, and fun. Israel was our guide and did a fantastic job. By the end of the day he was a friend, not just a guide. We did Tulum, zip lining, rapelling, and snorkeling in a cave. Well done, highly recommend it.

AventurasMayas1, Manager at Aventuras Mayas, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your adventure with the rest of the world. We're always proud to read such great reviews about our staff, we know they're -without a doubt- our best asset. We'll make sure to congratulate Israel for a great job. Gracias