1,366 results
All reviews rooftop pool catch restaurant the main hotel beach hotel tequila tasting amazing hotel pool party luxury hotel sister property light sleeper great pool coco bongo the entire staff special thanks tacos our honeymoon cinco
Selected filters
Reviewed February 22, 2018

Central location if you want to be in the mix of what Playa Del Carmen is all about. Having access to the Beach House is also a plus. Staff is on point and engaging. View from the roof is fantastic. The right mix of urban and luxury.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed February 21, 2018

From when we arrived until when we left everything was great and the staff took care of even the most minor issues quickly. My girlfriend and I stayed in the panoramic suite on the third floor with the best view you could ask for of the ocean. We had a relaxing stay, had dinner at Catch, lunch and dinner at Cinco and C Grill. All of the food was great and they took care of our food allergy concerns exceptionally well and with attention to detail. We both felt very comfortable. The tequila tasting was fun and interesting. Having access to the Thompson a few blocks away for the pool and gym was a nice touch. All around a great stay and we will be coming back soon!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights after being in Tulum for a week. We love the Thompson. Everything was excellent. Our room was ready early with amazing service. Rooftop is beautiful and relaxing. The DJ on Saturday afternoon by the pool played really good, but prob a tad loud. We couldn’t hear each talk sitting next to each other. Beach club was also great but a little hard to find shade.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2018

I was disappointed by my stay at the Thompson Playa del Carmen. The hotel is gorgeous, rooms are neat and comfy but service at the rooftop restaurant is well below Mexican standards, let alone in a luxury hotel like this. Food was fine and priced accordingly to the location but service was consistently very slow, you will have to wait a while to get a table, another while to order and then request and repeat your order multiple times and wait, and wait more still. Waiters are snobby and really don’t care, in all 4-5 meals I had there I can’t remember dealing with a single decent staff. I shared a cab to the airport with other guests from the hotel and they hadn’t been impressed by the service either. I saw a group of 10-12 ladies leaving the restaurant at breakfast after nobody came to take their order. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to fire all the staff and start from scratch as this mediocre level of service is totally unacceptable and is a major irritant to most guests.

Regarding noise; the first night I had a room facing Calle 12. I should have been suspicious when I saw earplugs next to the bed. That night, I came back from dinner at around midnight, I was feeling like my room was part of the bar next door. Impossible to sleep but luckily I managed to get “upgraded” to a quieter, identical room facing 5a Avenida where I also woke up a night later at around 2am due to very high noise level.

I don’t know how similar properties in Playa del Carmen would compare to the Thompson Playa but I would not consider staying again at this hotel due to the high noise level at night and the 1 star service at the restaurant/pool. Looks can be deceiving.

1  Thank vincebilodeau
Carlos C, Gerente at Thompson Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2018

Dear vincebilodeau,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Thompson Playa del Carmen. We are so sorry to hear you had such a disappointing experience with us. We strive to provide each of our guests with genuine and personalized service so I deeply apologize that you encountered these issues. It is certainly not up to our standards to not being able to provide good service at our rooftop and at our restaurants, so I would love to connect with you personally to learn more about your stay and what was done on our end to rectify these issues. I would like the opportunity to resolve this with you and hopefully leave you with a better memory and outlook on Thompson Playa than you left with, as we truly never want to see guests leave dissatisfied​ with their experience here. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me so we can discuss further.

Carlos Carreon
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2018 via mobile

Best location , service & location. The service amazing since you cross the door. Food is good. Restaurants on both hotel excellent. Catch!!!Location near all restaurants , close to 5 ave & stores. Facilities pool & beach area very clean. Room are huge & very modern. We had some problems w the AC the where very prompt & resolved in a hurry!!! All the staff where very kind and friendly... hope to return next year!!