“Great Hotel - Don't listen to all the bad reviews!”

and 1 more site!
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #74 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Barrie, Canada
“Great Hotel - Don't listen to all the bad reviews!”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We were at Grand Sunset Princess from May 16-23, 2010!
Our friends recommended this resort. We were so worried about going to this place after we booked with all the negative reviews! Thanks goodness we listened to our friends who were here last Feb 2010!

The service, food, entertainment and beach was great!
If you complained about the food at this resort...you are too picky to travel and should stay home!!!
The only complaint for us was that on the beach you can't move the beach lounge chairs if you are in the first row!! They will come by and tell you to move them back!!
The weather wasn't the greatest that week and we can't complain to anyone since we have no control over Mother Nature!!

Overall we had a great vacation and would recomment this hotel!
We like to try out different places, but we would go back if we ever wanted to go back to the Mayan.

1 Thank barriegirl70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,404)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Beautiful grounds, a variety of restaurants, shops. Nice clean gym. The fact that the resorts in this area leave natural growth between properties, makes it nice not to have hotel on top of hotel. Gather your gear if you are going to the beach, since it can be a hike. The beach had many options. We all enjoyed kayaking and a massage on the beach. Rented a Jeep that made it convenient to get to the downtown, shopping and nightlife. The food on 5th street was better than the resort. Yal Ku was an unbelievable spot for snorkeling and the ruins in Coba made for a great workout. At the Princess, was disturbed that four mature girlfriends, weren't allowed to take a tray of cheese, fruit and wine to the quaint seating areas around the lake, adjacent to the buffet. In fact there is no outdoor options for any meal. Our room had a musty smell, broken hairdryer and refrigerator, an outlet fell on the floor, no washcloths, and only shampoo on display in the washroom. Even though there were 3 emails requesting two beds, we had to share a King. After three meetings with the manager, it was quite clear this was the hotel of "NO". No, they couldn't accommodate any request besides washcloths. I can say that at the typical "INN" We've all had better service. Not one of us four friends would ever stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank andrea2travel
Vancouver
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Just came back from a one week vacation with my family which included our 16 month old daughter. Overall, we had a wonderful relaxing vacation but I didn't give this resort a great rating due to the food. Everything else was fine.

Room - We stayed in the Platinum section which I do recommend. You have your own platinum lounge which is great because you have a concierge to make all your restaurant reservations, there's free internet, you can also grab snacks or drinks here and you can wait inside for the shuttle. It's also great if you have a baby and need milk. We would just ask for two cups of milk to go in the morning, afternoon and evening. You can also ask to have milk delivered to your room at the same time everyday if you want. If your baby needs to take a nap and you're hungry, you can also order room service which is included for the Platinum rooms. The rooms are spacious and very clean. We slept fine and they constantly came to check if you needed more towels or drinks/water.

Beach - As a platinum guest, you have the option of your own private beach with padded chairs. This was a very quiet section but you couldn't order drinks for free here. We just stayed on the regular beach which was pretty crowded by the time we got there (after 10am). Most of the chairs would be saved by then so if you want shaded chairs, I do recommend putting a towel on some chairs before breakfast. We loved playing in the ocean. There are a few rocks when you first walk into the water but nothiing to complain about, you really don't need water shoes. You could walk out very far into the water. We also played volleyball a few times with the animation team.

Pools - This resort is so huge you never have to fight for a pool chair. There was always one available. The pools are also very warm. If you want a really shallow pool for your baby though, it was inconvenient because it was near the front of the Riviera side.

Resort - The resort is huge as everyone says. The Platinum section is on one end and the lobby is on the other. It only takes 8 min to walk. Or if your too tired, you could wait for the shuttle which comes every 15 min. It's very well maintained and very clean.

Service - The staff are great. They remember who you are and
everyone does their best to help you. They also really appreciated it when you tipped them.

Food - This is where this resort fails for me. You can't complain about the breakfast buffet since they do have everything you need if you want to be healthy or not. Same goes for lunch. However the a la carte's failed to impress. I'd say the best was Miso, the teppanyaki side. The chef gave a great show and you get a lot of food - fried rice, chicken, beef and prawns and veggies then a dessert. The Thai Beach Club was also decent. It's an open restaurant on the beach so it's a beautiful setting. The beef was very tender. The Mexican restaurant seemed to have similar food as the buffet and the Italian restaurant pasta was aweful. The pizza in the Italian restaurant was better than the pasta. The food is far from 5 star, more like mediocre. We just came back in Dec from Dreams Riviera Cancun and their food was soooo good. It was even comparable to food back home. If you don't care about food, this resort is fine but if you do like to have good food for dinner, I wouldn't come here.

On the whole, I'd only recommend this hotel if you get a good deal. We payed extra to stay in the Platinum section and I don't think we got our money's worth. I would rather have stayed at the Dreams Riviera Cancun which is a smaller more intimate resort with wonderful food and is also child friendly. But we wanted to try something different and stay closer to Play Del Carmen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank bon22
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We went to the Grand Sunset Princess for our honeymoon May 30th through June 5th. We were pretty nervous about our decision to stay here, because there were a lot of negative reviews. We booked a Laguna Villa and it was a great decision. I can only speak to the Platinum package experience. I would definitely recommend doing the Platinum Package, and upgrading to the Villas if willing and able, as you have a private pool, bartender, and concierge. We hardly went to the beach, and went to only this pool as it was beautiful, quiet, and immaculate. The bar at this pool is also the best at the resort, in my opinion. There were probably only 10 people tops at this pool at any time on our visit, and there were plenty of covered pilapas to go around. There are always plenty of free loungechairs and they are padded and covered in a terry cloth cover. Room service is also free if you have a Villa, which is a nice perk. Bring a Tervis insulated mug! You won't regret it. It kept our drinks cold for hours with little condensation.

Room: The villas are beautiful. It is not quite as buggy as I expected, but I did use Off bug wipes when walking around outside and I used Off bugspray in the room once because of ants. We used the safe and had no break ins, but we met some people also staying in the villas who had about $150 stolen in cash from their safe, so be sure to check every day in the safe to see if theft has taken place. I was told that the hotel did not handle it very well and accused the people of lying, which was not good. These people said that they had a male maid. We had the female housekeeper and had no issues. If you are nervous, you can always request to stop maid service. We tipped our beverage person and maid and they took good care of us. They did turn down service a couple of nights, which was a nice touch. They don't have conditioner, so be sure to bring your own. They also have blow dryers and slippers, robes, etc.

Food: The buffets were all pretty good. None of the food was the best that I have ever tasted, but it wasn't the worst either. It was pretty typical of an all inclusive resort. We tried to try as may of the concept restaurants that we could. Las Olas was pretty awful. We actually left as soon as we got our food as it was not fit to eat, but Miso, Tapas, Thai Beach Club, and La Fleur were all pretty good. If you do the Villa, you get a dinner at Thai Beach Club for free, but they tell you at check in that you don't. Be persistent! If you get room service, you have to call them to take away your dishes. I had to call 3 or 4 times once, as we started getting ants and the birds were swooping in for leftovers. I didn't realize this, but if you are staying in a villa, you can make your reservations for your whole stay when you first arrive, which is really nice and prevents you from having to do it every day. They are quite strict on their reservation policy. They won't let you make one after 3 and they will tell you that everything is full. We usually tipped $1 or $2 at dinner and $1 for drinks. Colli at the Villa made amazing Caipirinhas and a drink called Purple Rain. They use mostly top shelf alcohol at most of the bars. The Platinum Bar in the Platinum lounge had the best assortment of alcohol. At the buffets, they had ingredients to make mimosas and bloody marys each morning, which was a nice touch.

Service: The service at the GSP was mediocre. The wait staff were ok and the bartenders seemed pretty great, along with the housekeepers and grounds keepers, but the hostesses at the restaurants were fairly rude, and the people who ran the desks as well as the concierges were not quite as helpful and lacked some fundamental customer service skills. When we we went to Thai Beach Club, we asked to sit at a table with a view of the ocean, and she acted like we had asked her to do back flips or something difficult. There was a clear table and the server in that section did not appear to be overloaded, so I wasn't sure that the issue was. Like I said, lock your valuables. I heard other people say that they had gum and other little things stolen.

Beach: The beach was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs. There is a platinum section on the nicest, quietest part of the beach and cocktail waitresses walk around to take your order. There is an area with massages (separate from the hotel spa) which was great! $50 for an hour. If you stay in a villa, you get some free spa services, but the beach massage was much better. The beach is right on a kelp bed, which explains a lot of the murkiness and brownness of the water. The ocean is not a pool people. Mother Nature can't put chlorine in the pool to make it 100% pure. The water gets murky after storms, but clears up later. It was a bit brown the first part of our trip, and turquoise the rest of the trip. There were a few rocks, but you could see them. I brought my water shoes, but I didn't feel the need to put them on. The best beach I have ever been to was at Playa del Norte on Isla Mujeres near Cancun, and this beach was almost as nice. You can walk out very far and only be up to your chest. Would be a great beach for children.

Overall, we recommend this resort. I don't know if we would have liked it as much if we hadn't had a villa, but the villa experience made this trip for us and made it a very intimate and romantic trip.

2 Thank funandsun85
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I just wanted to write this review to give some support to Grand Sunset Princess. I was very nervous about staying at this resort after reading the reviews, but I have to say that it was a great resort to stay at! We just came back from a week vacation with a group of 10 adults, one two year old child. I think with any resort, you can find things to complain about, but don't let the negativity ruin your trip. No resort is perfect, and you have to look at the overall picture-you are there to have a good time with your loved ones, not to find as many faults as you can find. With that being said, here are the my comments to other people's complaints.

Rocky beach: Not so much. Yes, when you first step into the ocean, there are a few rocks, but only for a few steps. Take 5 more steps (literally) and it's not so rocky anymore. You can go way out in the ocean and still be standing on the sand and even see some fishes. Water was warm and so refreshing. (BTW if you want an even nicer beach, take a taxi to playa del carmen. The sand there is soft like powder)

Too crowded: I never felt like the hotel was crowded at all! There were always plenty of chairs to go around, even for my big family. There weren't any problems with people waking up early to reserve chairs with their towels. My group jumped from pool to pool throughout the day without having problems finding chairs.

Service: I thought all the workers there worked very hard and tried their best to make us happy. Everytime we went to the pool, within 10 minutes someone asked us if they can get us a drink. I don't think there is even a need to get platinum rooms because the service was pretty good with my regular room. Some people had complaints about getting coffee...I never found that to be a problem.

Food: I actually loved the buffet food! There was always something that I really loved at each meal. Yes, it can get repeitive (they do try to change a few things each meal), but who cares if you get to eat the same thing you love over and over? =) I will say though, that I preferred the buffet food to the a la carte restaurants because dining there usually took at least 2.5 hours to finish (long wait in between courses) and the food at Miso and Tapas was REALLY salty. But the service was great at those restaurants, and at Tapas you get to see a flamenco show which was really good. The only other restaurant I ate at was Hacienda, which was yummy.

Pools: Nice and warm, never crowded. Swim up bars good. They do tend to make the drinks weak here at the resort, but all you have to do is ask them to put more alcohol in it, and they will do it!

Entertainment: I only checked out the music show they had on Monday nights which was pretty amusing. They have a dance club too, not many people dancing there. But you have as much fun as you want to have...so if no one's dancing, round up a few people and get the party started yourself! That's what we did and we had so much fun. Don't call the club lame if you are one of those people standing around looking at everyone else and not contributing to the vibe of the place.

Mosquitos:Haha that's probably the only thing I want to complain about. During the day it's not so much of a problem, but between 5-8 when most people are walking to dinner, boy do you get bit! Make sure you apply repellent before venturing out.

Walking: It's a 10-15 minute walk from the lobby to end of hotel. Not that bad, and was nice especially after dinner. Being active is a good thing, especially after eating a big meal. =) Word of caution though, watch where you step! The marble floors are slippery when wet, and we all almost slipped a few times because of this.

To summarize, I had a great time at Grand Sunset Princess. I didn't give it five stars only because I have traveled worldwide, and it's not as luxurious as some resorts I have stayed at, but nonetheless, I still really loved the the Grand Sunset Princess and its staff. Some things I would recommend other travelers to do is Xelha/Tulum tour and also the Hidden worlds zipline adventure tour which includes snorkeling at a cenote (truly amazing surreal experience)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank BodaciousG
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Travelled with my husband and adult children with their significant others and we all had an amazing time. Right from check in everything was perfect.The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the hotel was beautiful, with it's constantly manicured grounds and spotless facilities. Food at the buffets was great, always something for everyone, but make sure you go to the a la cartes as they were amazing., my favorite was the Italian. The beach was beautiful, not sure what the other reviews were talking about when they stated that it was very rocky and water shoes were necessary. We had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank sunlover5_10
Fords NJ
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This was my 5TH tripto an all inclusive in the Mexican Riviera and the Princess was wonderful!! The resort had exceeded all our expectations... In food, service, cleanliness, safety, smiles, entertainment, and all other areas.we have stayed at many of the best chains... Excellence, secrets, dreams, etc and have paid twice as much with not nearly as much as the Princess We did have a platinum suite with all the extras and not that much $$$$ and well worth the special treatment..
Last spring i had stayed at secrets Silversands and have nothing good to say about that stay and the cost was much more.So please do not judge by the chains name.
Thank you Princess!!

4 Thank jakemax819
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!