Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
$297
$236
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$294
$517
$535
$519
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$396
$333
Melia.com
$229
$292
$269
  • Pool
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$487
$349
  • Beachfront
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$711
$642
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$790
10,016 results
All reviewssports barfondueriviera sideplatinum sectiona la cartesmama miaplatinum loungesunset buffetlas olasplatinum packagedeluxe junior suitele fleurcooking showchill out barwater shoesprivate poolseafood
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

To those with dietary needs - this is the resort for you!! Also, be prepared to walk a lot as the resort is BIG.

My sister and I made a trip out of a wedding she needed to attend at another resort, and we're glad we stayed here. Overall, the resort was very nice. It was clean, well kept and had friendly staff.

Front Desk: The gentleman that checked us in was less than friendly. Looking around the other front desk staff definitely seemed happy to be there, but he didn't crack a smile once. He did get us into the hotel quickly and answered our questions though.

The pools: Awesome. Regardless of which pool you visited, they were all top notch. Swim up bars were always well stocked and had great bartenders.

Room: We initially were given a room with 1 king bed our first night. Since we are sisters, we made do for the first night but ultimately decided we needed 2 beds so requested to move the next day. We had to 'check out' of our original room by noon, and we got a new room by 3:30 that afternoon. We were also moved down to the ground floor which was really convenient. We loved being in the 3000 series building because it was convenient to the pools, beach and the snack buffets. Overall, the room was clean and cool. Considering it was about 43 degrees each day with the humidity, it was imperative that the AC worked. Our housekeeper left us a towel animal each day as well which was a nice touch.

Food: Okay, this is a somewhat miss for me, but a huge win for my sister. She is gluten and dairy intolerant so finding things for her to eat is usually a challenge. Once we mentioned this at each buffet and restaurant, they took really good care of her. Even on a couple of occasions, the chefs came out to speak to her to make her a diet friendly pasta. It was so good that even I couldn't tell it was dairy and gluten free! On top of this, they even had a gluten free station that had little loaves of bread and some sweets on occasion too. Overall, the buffet selection lacked otherwise. It was the exact same for breakfast and lunch every day, but dinner changed a bit. It definitely catered to those who like simple food (fries, burgers, hot dogs, etc). Desserts however were amazing, I looked forward to that each night! Their Tres Leches cake is phenomenal and I highly recommend it. Their A La Carte restaurants were okay. The only one we really enjoyed was the Teppanyaki grill at Miso. It was a show and we were stuffed by the end of it. Loads of fun.

Entertainment: The day entertainment at the pool was fun. The staff obviously really enjoy their jobs and worked to make it a fun afternoon for all. The night entertainment staff was really good too. We made it to each show except the Mexican themed night one. Our favourite for sure was the 'Horror Night' show. It was definitely not scary at all and featured a lot of musical songs. One thing that really disappointed me is that there was no karaoke at all on the resort - big bummer! The disco was great though, featured a lot of songs to get people up and moving. It was a good time for everyone.

Environmental Plug: We definitely felt the resort was trying to do it's part in this aspect. Their cups at the bars are all re-usable, you do not get a straw unless requested (and even so, there are signs everywhere saying that they're trying to decrease use) and when cleaning your room they do not replace linens unless requested.

Would we come back to this resort? Yes, if we had a larger group of people. It definitely seemed more catered to that. I would come back and bring our family as a trip. Also, pay to upgrade to the swim up rooms. Definitely worth it as they're all basically interconnected.

Room Tip: 2000 to 3000 series rooms are closer to the day action, and the 1000 series rooms are closer to the night action
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank SKT28
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel from May 8 - May 22, 2018. The hotel is pretty big, but it is quite beautiful and VERY clean. There are two other hotels attached to this hotel and you have access to them all. The food was pretty good and the drinks were absolutely amazing. Probably the best strawberry daiquiri's I ever tasted.

The beach was decent. There was ALOT of seaweed when we were there. I didn't want to swim in the ocean because I hate seaweed. The beach bar serves amazing drinks and fast! However, the pools were AMAZING. There are quiet pools, party pools, and in between pools. Lots of daytime entertainment.

The nightlife at the theatre I was a bit disappointed. I found it was more dedicated to kids versus adults. I did love the show on Wednesday with different dancers. The center bar at night has great entertainment. They have live bands and DJ's etc. The disco plays great music too.

The staff is AMAZING! Lupita is a server on the beach and she is absolutely amazing. She is fast and remembers every single drink and never messed up. 5 STAR for her.
Also, Gilberto is a bartender at the night bar and he is MY FAVOURITE. He is probably one of the fastest bartenders I have ever met. 5 STAR for him!

The spa is amazing. I received a deep tissue massage and my boyfriend received a Swedish massage. Highly recommend. If you book a massage the first 24 HRS of arrival you receive a discount.

Also, the locals on the beach are extremely nice.

Overall, my boyfriend and I had an amazing vacation. I just wish the beach was a bit better as we are beach people.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited from May 1-8, 2018 and stayed in the Platinum Suite section. The private bar and concierge were very nice. The buffet food was average. We ate at the a la cart steakhouse which wasn't very good. Service at all the restaurants was very good but the food was mediocre. We arrived at 5:00 in the afternoon and there was no place to eat except the sports bar which was crowded. There are no buffet restaurants open near the platinum section for dinner so every night we had to wait (sometimes for 15 minutes) to get the shuttle to the main buffet and back to our room after dinner. My main complaint, however, was the view from our balcony. Even though we were very close to the beach, trees blocked the view of the beach. Our only view from our balcony was broken up construction materials, chunks of concrete, exposed pipes, and trash, including a pair of men's underwear that was there all week! A broken down fence completed the picture! There was also a strong smell of sewer gas. The beach was covered with seaweed to the extent that we didn't want to go in the water at all. A tractor ran one or two times a day trying to clear the mess but it should have been running constantly. We will probably not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Platinum Suites are nice. Quieter than the rest of the resort.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank SandiK63
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I don't normally write reviews but I feel that I should warn others so they don't suffer like us.

We booked for a week from May 11 - 18 at this resort. Our party has 17 people, 6 are children.
On the last day there the children started to get hand foot and mouth disease starting with our youngest (8 months), then going to 4 year old and 6 year old. 5 out of the 6 kids got the disease. I think the kids may have caught it from the pool, the first 6 days we spent our time in just 1 pool, but the last day we thought we would try to the big pool in the middle with the swim-up bar.
I think people should hold off travelling to this resort for awhile until this outbreak is gone, it is NOT worth it to see your kids suffering with this disease. It is EXTREMELY contagious.
Upon further reading the reviews now that we are back to Canada, we noticed someone wrote a review in February 2018 warned about the disease but we didn't read it prior to going. If we knew of it we would have cancel our trip.

The resort is huge, lots of activities and events. The food was mediocre at best, we are sick of the food after 3-4 days.
The most embarrassing event in the trip for me was when I ordered the 600 peso lobster meal they advertised on the menu because I was so sick of the other food they have and the waitress acted big deal about it. "It's not part of the all inclusive" I told her "yes, I know... that's ok". She then again say "Sir, it's going to be additional charge". I reassure her that I know "Yes, I realize that, I'm fine to pay the extra charge".
I thought I would need to pay for it at the end of the meal and I'm prepare to do so since I did carry cash on me.
She then asked for my name, my room number, and then wrote down the bracelet number. I asked her "Oh, so you don't want me to pay you here?" She said "no, we will charge to your room.". I said GREAT!!

After we ate I left her a $5 tip and left. She chased me down outside the restaurant and asked me to come back she said "It's about the lobster"... I asked her "what about the lobster? you said you will charge to my room and you got my name, room number, and bracelet number so what else do you want?"
"well sir, I need you to sign something" I followed her back to the restaurant and she sat me down at the waiting area and ran to the back to get a receipt for me to sign. WOW, really embarrassing... come on this is only $40 USD meal and she made a really big deal.

Room Tip: Read reviews about any outbreaks before going
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Princess_RivieraMaya, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear 2k11pro4x,

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to write us a review about our hotel.

Firstly we wish your children a speedy recovery so that they can continue to enjoy their vacations.

Secondly, we appreciate your warning but our pools are properly cleaned daily with all hygiene and safety requirements needed for a hotel pool. Besides this, hand foot & mouth disease is a disease transmitted mainly through physical contact with an infected person (normally kids although it also affects adults) or through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. For quality controls, the housekeeping supervisors verify each room and make sure that everything is clean and working properly before the arrival of each guest. Additionally, every day without exceptions the rooms and common areas are cleaned.
To clean items that are used by kids we use special disinfectants called Lysol and Diversey (ie. Highchairs, doors handle, etc) who are proved to be the most effective disinfectants of germs and bacteria.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, although there is a small possibility that you can contract the virus "if you swallow recreational water, such as water in swimming pools. However, this is not very common. This is more likely to happen if the water is not properly treated with chlorine and becomes contaminated with faeces from a person who has hand, foot, and mouth disease.", which we can assure you that all of our pools are properly treated and cleaned every day.

Regarding the inconvenient that you mention in the Chill-Out we apologise if our standard procedure to book a Lobster dinner made you feel bad or uncomfortable in any way.

Kind regards,

Joao Silva
Community Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'll start this review by mentioning this is my second visit to this hotel. I was honestly less then impressed. I was really excited to come back to this hotel with my fiance as I have been telling him how amazing this hotel was and how the food was so DELICIOUS.

This was not the case the second go around, I'll break it down so that its easier.

Rooms: Still nice rooms, clean and no bugs. House keeping was good as well. If your travelling with kids be mindful of the floors, everything is really slippery. We had two beds in the room and our backs were really hurting by the end of the week, bring your own pillow if you can!

Pools: Great, no complaints here at all!

Food: Ahhh man this is a tough one. This go around the food was mediocre at best. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, easy to find something and service at breakfast was really good. The wait staff were really kind at breakfast and lunch. Lunch was pretty basic you could find something so no big deal. I should mention that 2/3 people i travelled with got sick from the food so thats something to be mindful of.

Dinner sucked. Theres no good way of putting that, my last trip dinner was amazing..abundant fresh seafood, churro's etc this time I honestly dreaded dinner. Not to mention the wait staff at dinner seemed so annoyed to be there it made the experience even worse.

Beach: The beach had quite a bit of seaweed and wasn't all that pretty. A little stinky as well.

Over all look of the resort? BEAUTIFUL.

Hopefully this was helpful to you, this probably wont be my first choice when booking Mexico like it has been in the past because I really do feel as though this hotel has gone down in quality.

Room Tip: swim out rooms are great
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends