“Relaxing Vacation at the Sunset Princess!!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #72 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cochrane, Canada
“Relaxing Vacation at the Sunset Princess!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We returned from a very relaxing week at the Grand Sunset Princess. If you are looking for a great all inclusive get away, you can't go wrong here!

Let me start with the tour operator, Sunwing. Very impressed with all aspects of their service. Unfortunately our departure was delayed, but thru their website we knew that the night before we left so were able to adjust our timing to the airport accordingly. Last year with Sky Service we didn't get the same info and as a result arrived at the airport hours too early. The flight was good, reasonable room in the seats (I'm 5'11' 200lbs). (One thing I did do I'm not certain I would do again is use their pre-seat selection. Cost us $15/seat each way which totalled $120. Seemed like the check in counter did a good job of keeping families seated together). On arrival at the Cancun airport, Sunwing reps were very visible and helped us get to the correct bus quickly (note: if anyone other than an orange-shirted Sunwing rep offers to help you with your bags, they are NOT with Sunwing and will expect a tip. The walk isn't that far so suggest you just haul your own bags). Once on the bus they continued to feed us info, as well as offer some cervezas ($3 ea). They have a full time office at the resort and were always available to provide info or help if needed. Their office has 2 computers that can ge used by Sunwing guests for free internet access, 15 min per day. Anyway 2 thumbs up to Sunwing!!

The resort is beautiful and immaculate. Clean clean clean and very new! The lobby is very impressive and has a nice bar, where you can enjoy a refreshment while the warm breezes waft through. Also in the main building are the buffet restaurants, shops and a Sports Bar. As we were late getting in the first evening, the Sports Bar was welcomed as it is 24 hr and serves hamburgers, hot dogs and natchos. Our 2 boys (13 and 11) loved this place ( a guy's paradise our 11 yr old called it!)....sports on TV, foosball, pool, food and drinks anytime you want. What's not to like?

A note that the Sunset Princess is one half of a double resort, the other halg called the Riveria Princess. I wandered over one day and didn't see any obvious differences, other than they are mirror image. You may want to ask your travel agent if there are any reasons to pick one over the other.

Many pools to choose from, although some of them are adult only. However the family pools were more than enough to keep us happy. We typically hung out at the "party" pool, where the staff were always organizing something like water polo, water aerobics, dancing etc. Swim up bar provided great service.

Rooms are nice. We had a junior suite and they upgraded us at check in to a jacuzzi room. The shower floor tiles weren't quite level and sometimes water would seep into the main bathroom and toilet area. Not a big deal but we tended to use towels up in a hurry sopping water up. But turn down service typically offered additional towels if needed. Our schedule often had us in our rooms when the maid came around so we didn't always get the full turndown, but one night we came back to a nicely arranged room...the boys got a kick out of it. Only complaint I would have about the room was the beds were hard. Good excuse to get up early and not waste the day....

Beach is very pretty and also has a bar and massage tables. Just before you leave the resort area to the beach is an barbeque where they cook up burgers and dogs. The weather was a bit unstable when we were there so that might have contributed to the fairly rough surf. Anyway our boys prefer the pool for the most part so we didn't spend much time at the beach. However I would say that comments I've seen that the beach isn't up to par are off the mark in my opinion. The beach is pretty nice.

As far as food, we really made good use of the buffet, especially breakfast. Lots of variety and fresh fruit and vegetables. For dinner we normally went to an a la carte, as when they upgraded us at check in they allowed as many a la cartes as we wanted...you do need to reserve 1 day in advance, but you can only book 2 days in advance. We enjoyed these restaurants well enough, but felt they lacked a bit of unique ambience. We tried the Mexican (La Hacienda), Italian (Mamma Mia), Grill (Vaqueria) and the Swiss (Fondue), kind of in order of preference. Anyway we ate too much over the week so I guess we generally approved of the food!!

The booze well there's lots of it but it's the somewhat watered down all inclusive variety. One fellow I met stayed in the Platinum section and mentioned the rum in the room was 33% rather than the 40% we are used to. I suspect some of us "gringo's" have behaved poorly when presented with endless booze and sun, and this helps manage that poor behaviour somewhat. In a large resort I can't say we saw any examples of excess intoxication. So maybe this is a good thing? The local wine offered at dinner wasn't that spectacular but imported wine is available at extra cost if this is a big deal.

Tours can be arranged through Sunwing, however based on a recommendation from my brother-in-law we booked our own excursion before we left through Edventures Tours (they can be found on line). We packed all this in one day: Tulum ruins, zipline, cenote swim and cliff dive, cave snorkle (kind of spooky but very cool) beach lunch (cost extra), snorkle with sea turtles and finally snorkle in a lagoon aquarium. We were pretty bagged at the end of the day but wow it was fun! Our guides, Enrique (aka Avatar) and Gigo were great. Ask for them if you go this route!! You won't be disappointed. Most tours we saw had large groups but we were with one other family...9 in all. I think this really added to our experience.

There is a free daily shuttle that will take you to Playa del Carmen, but we found the schedule didn't work for us on the days we wanted to go, so we went by taxi...suggested to be a $13US fare. I usually gave a $200 peso note ($18CDN) and the drivers were happy. Play del Carmen is nice with a variety of shops and restaurants along 5th Ave, which is the tourist street. We found it a bit pricey. However a cab driver showed us the "Mexican" downtown and advised there were lots of good clean restaurants and stores at much better prices. Playa seems like a safe place so next time that's what I'm going to do. Playa del Carmen according to a driver is about 400,000 people.

Final comment on the resort is on the staff at the Sunset Princess. EXCELLENT. Very friendly and most spoke good English. We tried to use our limited Spanish whenever possible (please, thank you, good morning/evening etc) and this was always welcomed with a smile and occasionally some tips on other phrases. We tipped regularly but they were always well earned tips. The staff really added to our enjoyment.

A further comment on tips. Make sure you come prepared with US 1 dollar bills or $20 peso notes (approx $2 CDN). Getting anything smaller than a $50 peso note at the resort was difficult so this would mean you are handing out $5CDN everytime you tip. In my opinion that wasn't always needed and it added up quickly.

Anyway to sum it all up, if you come to the Grand Sunset Princess you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank FootlooseWithKids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,430)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Last minute holiday and reviews made me wary but we found everything at RSP to be excellent. Great food, rooms and service. Grounds, beach and facilities were perfect and we are well-travelled, experienced patrons of a variety of destinations for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Julie F
Winnipeg
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Sunset Princess and we had a Laguna Villa Suite. It is definately worth the money to upgrade to this suite. The private pool, butler and pool concierge were awesome. The staff there took great care of us and tended to our needs. We had no problem getting reservations for the restaurants each night (make the reservations the day before) and the buffet is quite good as well. The grounds are very well kept, you see staff working all the time whether during the day or night. Our Villa was always cleaned and the mini fridge was always well stocked. The beach was beautiful, we never had a problem finding a lounge chair and the water was clear everyday.
The Grand Sunset Princess is a wonderful resort and we can honestly say we will go back.

1 Thank WinnipegPrincess
ottawa
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I went to the Grand Sunset Princess with my Fiance who I asked to marry me 2 day's before we left on Feb 11th. This was too be our kind of relaxing honey moon.
By the pictures, description's, and youtube video's, the Grand Sunset Princess look beautiful.
Pictures and a good looking resort are one thing. The actual resort look's beautful, clean, and fun, and it is.

During our 1 week stay from Feb 11th-Feb 18th we had a ton of problem's which ruined our trip. Now I am in the work's with sunwing, and the grand sunset WHO ARE IGNORING ME, for some kind of compensation.

When we arrived, we were told our room's were at the back end of the hotel, we thought nothing of it. Bell boy's did not offer to take our luggage so we took it ourselves. After a timed 25 min walk to our hotel, we were hungry, and tired, and wanted something to eat, we called room service only to be too our ALL INCLUSIVE was not all inclusive, it would cost us for room service, we I have never experienced at ANY resort I have been to. We went to bed hungry and angry.

Rooms: Other than it being 25min's away from the restaurants, and lobby, They were beautiful, but had several problems.

1) We woke up to our A/C not working in our room, and a smell of sewage, called the front desk, 4 hour's later they came, and claimed they fixed it. They didn't. During our trip we called them 3 time's to fix it, eventually they did.

2) Our cleaning lady half cleaned the room's twice, even though we tipped her $5 every day. She didn't empty the garbages, ash tray's, or fill up toilet paper.

3) The toilet's kept getting clogged, and took hour's for someone to come fix it.

Restaurants/Carte's:

AWFUL, AWFUL, AND AWFUL. The food was plain, poor variety, and just not good selection.

I have been to several resort's and I am not a picky eater, at this place I had to be. They did not have very good international food such as spaggetti, pasta's, pizza, just normal food, and what they did had was dried out, and disgusting.

The Carte restaurant's were very hard to book, as you had to make a 25 min walk to the lobby very early in the A, you couldn't call, just to get in the line to make them. Once you got through the line, you were told you could book 2 per day for the day of, and next day, but all the reservation's were at 9:pm or later, as they were all booked.

We went to the Mexican Carte restaurant, "The grille" and mama mia, all were poor, dry, small portion's, very disapointed.

The Staff:
Mentioned all my problem's with the room, food and service, they were rude, never apologized, never did anything to help. I even filled out a complaint form, only to be told it would only be used for future guest's, nothing would happen with us.

Checkout:
This really set me off. I was to leave the resort at 5:30 to catch the bus to the airport, I was told I had to be out of the room at 12. I was left with no room, had to sit in the sun, or lobby from 12-5:30. They claim they needed the room for the next guess, and didn't want to give us the room longer, as it would upset them.

I had more problem's but this is enough. Just don't go there!

NO FREE SERVICES NO FREE WIFI (OFFERED EVERYELSE) NO FREE ROOM SERVICE ON A ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT!

ALL AND ALL, DON'T GO THERE, BETTER DEAL'S TO BE HAD ELSEWHERE!

3 Thank davewho
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 24, 2010

My family and I have visited the Grand Sunset Princess for the past two summers. Both times, we stayed in the Platinum Club. Our room was very quiet with an ocean view. We loved the Platinum Club with its own concierge, bartender, drink service at the private pool and easy computer use. Bring a computer cable if you bring your own laptop. We didn't, but were able to borrow one with a $20 deposit. Some food is available all day in the club. Sweets are served at the club around 4-5 pm and are very popular.

We tipped consistently for good service (we brought $100 in ones) and were very well taken care of. No one ignored us.

As everyone says, this resort is big and my kid (4 years) needed the tram service. However, even though the resort is big, it is not big enough for a good jog/run unless you leave the gates. I did not feel safe leaving the gates for a run. I typically ran to the fitness center, then finished on the treadmill. You can also get a pretty good run in by running around the main lobby/theatre area and going up and down stairs. The fitness center needs more weights/machines.

Check in was a breeze at the special Platinum Club check in.

The beach has a few rocks, but I never wanted water shoes. My husband saw an octopus snorkling right on the beach. My 4 year old loved the little waves and shallow water. My son also attended the kids club on a few days. The staff is very friendly and I felt very comfortable with the kids club. The staff made sure my boy was covered in sunscreen, well fed and entertained. He also got to try archery and was thrilled.

The concierge at the Platinum Club made reservations easy. The food is all good and fresh. We always had good meals.

Our room had a safe. We always used it for everything valuable and had no troubles. I felt completely safe in the resort.

Cleaning of the room did not occur on the same schedule everyday or result in the same amount/type of minibar reload. But our room was always satisfactorily clean. The beds could have been more comfortable--need memory foam toppers and better pillows.

The resort is not frequented by only Americans. I met more Canadians, Mexicans, Brits and Spaniards there. Don't expect an American resort--you are in Mexico. Relax, enjoy, wake up early and reserve your preferred spot or sleep late and don't complain about your resulting spot. You will get plenty of food, drink and service--no matter where you sit. I was sad to leave both times.

Only con--it is really slippery in places. Be really careful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank SunFanDC
Ottawa
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This resort was beautiful. Our trip was great and we were very happy to have chosen the princess. A bit of a breakdown for our trip:

The good:
-The resort itself is only a couple of years old, and is pristine. The rooms and facilities consisted mostly of marble and granite. Ash trays were never more than 10 meters away and cleaned so frequently there were rarely more than 2 butts in them.
-The rooms were great. We had the basic junior suite, but were really impressed nonetheless. We had a big Jacuzzi tub (more on that later), two sinks, and a walk-in shower and toilet
-The staff. I don’t think I saw one bartender standing still once. Everybody was friendly and bent-over backwards to help. Our fridge was restocked with bottles of water and cans of beer daily.
-The pools. There are many of them in different shapes and sizes. The main pool has activities around it during the day, so if you don’t mind the excitement, it’s the place to be. If you’re looking for a quiet spot to take a siesta, you can easily move down to another pool.
-The food. There are 4 buffets with an unbelievable amount of selection. Not all of the food was great, but there’s so much to choose from, you can easily avoid the stuff you don’t like. The ala carte restaurants were very nice too although you have to book them early enough to ensure a decent time.

Things that may annoy you but didn’t bug us:

-the resort is very long. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the beach to the front desk, so bring some comfortable flip flops. If you’re not good on your feet for long periods of time, this one isn’t for you.
-More than one person we talked to complained that they couldn’t get what they wanted when calling the front desk due to the language barrier. The only time we called them was for a wake-up call and they called right on time, so we didn’t experience that.
-Canadians. About 90% of the guests at the hotel were Canadians and 10% were people annoyed to be surrounded by so many Canadians. As a Canadian myself, I didn’t really mind eh.
-We booked on the “sunset” side of the resort, but got the “Riviera” side. Both sides were identical though, so it made no difference to us

The bad:

-our biggest pet peeve was that there don’t seem to be nearly enough beach chairs on the beach. People will go early in the morning, put their towels on chairs to claim their spots, then go back to bed, breakfast, or wherever for several hours. If you want a spot under a shade hut, you’ll have to go out there by 8:30 am, which can be difficult after spending a night at the open bar.
-swimming at the beach. Make sure you bring water shoes or sandals that won’t come off when you’re in the water because about 5 feet into the water the sand is covered in jagged rocks. Found this out the hard way.
-the Jacuzzi tub was nice, but as soon as I turned on the jets, it was apparently too much for the breaker, and shut off the power to our entire room. My travelmate was gone at the time, so I was not too impressed to be fumbling around in the dark with my lighter, soaking wet, messing with a Mexican circuit breaker. If you’re going to have a soak, make sure you have a spotter in the room who knows where the breaker is (in the closet) before you try turning on the jets.
-most of the guests were either couples or families. We were two guys in our mid-twenties and looking for a bit more of a party atmosphere. We met some great people and made lots of friends, but if you’re looking to go wild on spring break, you’re better off booking at one of the cheaper cancun resorts. This speaks more to expectations than it does to the quality of the hotel though. I would definitely return here if going with a girlfriend, larger group, etc. though.

Overall we had a great time…the good certainly outweighed the bad by a long shot. If you’re looking for a nice quiet and luxurious getaway, this is the place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank frequentlyflyer
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 23, 2010

The Sunset Princess is beautiful! There is nothing more honest about that statement. My boyfriend and I went there in February as 30th Bday gift for him and were blown away by the beauty of this resort! The entrance, lobby, courtyards, walkways, pools, beach area and everything and anything in between were gorgeous, impressively huge, and meticulously clean! We were upgraded free to the Deluxe Junior Suite simply because we requested a King bed and only in the deluxe rooms do they offer king beds. The regular junior suites have 2 queens. They also gave us a glass of champagne to toast his birthday! A nice little touch!

We stayed for a week and wish we stayed longer! The array of restaurants offered was amazing. Every night we ate someplace new. This kept things interesting and exciting. I recommend Miso- the Japanese Tapenyaki, Las Olas-The Seafood, and Mamma Mia - Italian. The buffets are also quite tasty, but we really only went there for breakfast. Which was always good and always plentiful!

The service we found to be decent. The resort is very large and yet we were always seated immediately, got drinks and/or seats that the many bars immediately, and were addressed immediately. I cannot understand why people would complain about the service. It is understandable that during peak vacation periods, when the resort is busier than usual, that it might take 5 mins or so to get some service, but come on! .... Relax a little, your on vacation!! :)

The Beach was beautiful! Great sand, clear water, and we always found beach chairs, even at 11:30am.... no need to wake up super early just to reserve a chair (unless you want exactly water front, then maybe)
The service on the beach is a little slow, but regardless, there are 2 bars on the beach that you can go to yourself. And, if you tip once, they will keep coming back. Moral of the story....share and be kind and good things will follow! :)

The pools are beautiful and bountiful! Some might complain that the "party pool" is loud and annoying, but HELLLLOOOOOO....ITS THE PARTY POOL! if you dont like it, go to the 10 other pools available. There are plenty large and spacious areas that are private and quiet, and just as relaxing. I dont understand why people go on vacation expecting to be the only ones there!

The days trips that are offered are GREAT! We did the trip to Coba and climbed the pyramid as well as swimming in the Cenotes. Absolutely stunning. If you get a chance, go check out the Mayan Village. It is truly something to see.
Also, go 4X4ing in the jungle! So much fun! With that comes zip-lining and a 2 hour swim in some breath-taking caves!

Look, the resort is hands down a 5* STAR! It has everything your could ask for. Nightly shows, it's own theater room, constant entertainment, great food, 24hr sports bar/games room, a club, and so much space that you will just want to walk and walk to see everything!

Before I booked, i relied heavily on reviews that most of what I read about this resort was good. As for the people that complain.... well, i'm sure they will never be happy or relaxed. I am 27 and my boyfriend is 30 and we had the most incredible time!
oh...and even though children are allowed at the resort, you never really see them! There is a super kids club that keeps them occupied all day and out of sight! I didn't see kids until the evening at the shows! I like kids, but understand how some guests may not.

Also a little tip... The cleaning ladies restock the minibar everyday, but only if you drink whats in the fridge. If you want something extra like a couple more beers or soft drinks, leave them a note with a dollar bill, OR, clear out your minibar at night and put it in your luggage! When you get back to your room the next day, you'll have a stocked fridge again plus whatever you put away in your bags. Put them back in the fridge and enjoy a quiet night of drinking and relaxing on your balcony! Pure bliss!

Last thing... their Lime daiquiri's and Strawberry-Coconut margarita's are so yummy! I'm going through withdrawal and Ive been home 2 weeks! lol

Have Fun! I know you will!
~Toronto, Ontario, Canada

6 Thank KubaCucci
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!