“Great Resort- Awesome kids club!”

and 1 more site!
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York,NY
“Great Resort- Awesome kids club!”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This was our second time@GSP and we are returning again in April 2010! The grounds were amazing and well kept! As well as the pools! There are always chairs and space at the pools,many to choose from! We traveled w/our 7 year old who always wanted to go to the kids club! Jonathan from there was amazing, he remembered us from last time and took great care of our son! They have alot of activities for the kids! Food was amazing and lots of it! Room was always cleaned, the only negative thing are the mosquitoes but you can bring spray for that or citronella candles-I did and it works! Your in Mexico so thats at every resort! All in all, great time, Cant wait to go in April! Have fun!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank stephtheref

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,409)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I have traveled to over 30 countries and been to 5 stars in Mexico over 15 times on every coast. I am judgmental and expect a lot for what I am willing to pay and there was NOTHING bad about this resort, it was one of the best!

ROOMS
Marble floors, king size bed, flat screen TV, cleaned immaculately everyday.
Staff came around dinner time to see if we needed more towels every night.
Turn down service with chocolates if you weren't in bed by this time.
No problems with theft, kept my money in a locked suitcase and my boyfriend used the safe without an issue.
Only tipped maid staff one day and still the room was left in amazing condition everyday.

BEACH
Turquoise water - no brown or sewage water in sight and nice and warm too!
White sand beach and enough chairs and palapas for everyone!
Get a massage on the beach it was AMAZING and half the price of inside the hotel spa $30/half hour $50/hour.
Went seadooing it was fantastic $65/half hour and you can split this between 2 people.

FOOD
Breakfast buffet was delicious!! Pancakes, waffles, french toast, fresh made omlettes, an AMAZING fruit buffet! You name it, they had it!
Was served coffee immediately and you can ask to have your own pot so you can re-fill as many times as you like throughout breakfast.
Extremely friendly staff.

Lunch buffet was even better! Same amazing array of fruit, delicious salad bar, unreal fish and pasta made to order.
Also a great grill by the pool closest to the beach with grilled fish, chicken, burgers, hot dogs and all of the toppings.

A la cartes were great! Italian is the best!! I recommend the cod and you have to get the marscapone ice cream!!!
Oriental and sushi were delicious! Fondue was fun they give you fruit oreos and marshmallows with chocolate fondue for dessert!
If you're going to try the spanish do not get the pork or ribs - stick to the chicken unless you want what I call"salt on a stick"

Service at all of the above was so good that I tipped more than I ever have at a la cartes!

CLUBS/BARS
If you want drinks without a wait at night go to the sports bar where they are pool and fooseball tables.
The club was great we went 3 times, met a great group of people, got drinks quickly and danced to top 40 music.

All day staff walk around the beach and pools and take your order and bring you drinks, they come around so often you never have to get up!

RESORT
Impeccable! Staff are always cleaning everything - things I would not even think to clean!

GYM
Great gym lots of equipment, worked out everyday!

OVERALL
Go there! Don't worry! There was not a single downfall and like other reviews have said unless you think you are a king you will be fine! ie. if a server doesn't get to your table in time in the morning get yourself a drink it's right in the buffet anyway so it would be a step from where you get your food.
Mudslide's were delicious, all premium alcohol's just ask for them, food was fantastic, service was even better and I would go back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
20 Thank Traveler_01111
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Amazing resort, lots of pools, marble everywhere, laid out beautifully. Service stunk bad. Had to call every day to get the mini bar stocked, and was told more than once "They only do that once a day" I guess the once wasn't us. Rude servers at both the al a carte and buffets. Never fly with Sunwing, too many issues to lift here. We have stayed in many places, in third world countries, and received better service than this "5 star" resort.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AbusingDingus
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I have been to Mexico 5 times now, 3 times in Mayan Riviera (Bluebay Esmerelda 06/08, and Sandos Select Club Carcoal 09/08) and I feel it is important for me to right a review because I was apprehensive to stay here reading previous reviews. I stayed Dec.27-05th, I booked with expedia so I could customize my own dates instead of just 1 week, we got 9 nights and still paid less than everyone there it seemed like. That meant we did not have a bus to the resort though, which was actually nice. We took a cab straight there approx. 35-40 minutes it was $60 TO the resort, and at the end $35 FROM the resort back to Cancun airport.

Check-in: No line up for us so very quick (Riviera side), but when we got to our room there was 2 beds (we are a couple). So we called the front desk and they sent someone to pick us up and take us to a new room on the Sunset side with a King bed. Both hotels are the EXACT same, I think they are split up to make it easier for check-ins and that's about it.

Rooms: We had a pool-access in building 20, which we thought was perfect. We were in the middle of the hotel, so either 3 minutes to the beach or 3 minutes to the main building (on the riviera side the middle building is 6). That is also where the crazy pool was, so a lot of music and activities going on in the middle pool. Our room was beautiful, it is the exact same room as the platinum only instead of an outdoor jacuzzi you have the pool access-balcony where you can swim right into the main pool, right up to the swim-up bar! Although some buildings you had to get out of the pool that was at the balcony and jump into the main one. There was still a large separate jacuzzi in our bathroom and a seperate shower and a toilet with a door and 2 sinks. The only negative about the room was MOSQUITO'S! We killed about 20 the first night and about 5 a day after. Bring bugspray and after-bite medicine, because it is sooo expensive to buy their. Rooms, were clean, except for a few squashed mosquito's on the wall.

Food: we ate buffet for breakfast and lunch everyday and an a la carte every night. Ya buffet can get repetative, but I always managed to eat alot and clean my plate. Also the have a bbq near the pool by the beach with grilled chicken, hot dogs and hamburgers which was nice if you want to stay outside the whole day. The a la cartes were nice, you can book them everynight, but you can only book the day of or the next day. It was easy to book for 2 of us, but I heard it was hard to book for 6ppl or more at one restaurant at one sitting. Our favorite restaurant was the italian, we ate there twice, the fondue restaurant was our second favorite, they had cheeze fondue then chocolate fondue for dessert. Every a la carte seemed to have seafood, so that is a bonus for seafood lovers. And they were fine if we wanted to combine 2 dishes or order extra of anything at every restaurant.

Tipping: we always tip $1 or $2 everywhere, but I noticed it didn't matter, they were very fair with serving everyone equally around the pool and at the restaurants. Service is mediocre, but it is at every resort in mexico I have been too! You cannot expect 5* service there as you would in a 5*hotel in Canada or USA (or probably anywhere). It is a different experience, they do a good job, but not excellent. One time at the buffet no one offered us drinks, but it was no big deal, they had a fountain pop machine/ a corona keg and a water machine so we served ourselves our drinks that lunch. NO BIG DEAL.

This resort was very nice, and very well looked after, beautiful landscaping and always clean. There was a shuttle every 10 minutes at the main building if you did not want to walk the 6-7 minutes to the beach which was nice for some people. Also this resort seemed like all Canadians, I was expecting some Europeans that tan topless etc. but there wasn't, it was to the point you just say what city you are from to other people instead of Country which was neat. The beach was beautiful, powder white sand, I don't know why people say rocky, I found 1 random rock and that was it.

This was by far the nicest resort I have ever been too and would reccomend it to all groups, families/couples/singles/seniors. There was quite a variety of people and it was still incredibly enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Kendra555
maple ridge, bc
Reviewed January 7, 2010

After booking the Grand Sunset Princess, I went to here and looked at some reviews I can't believe some people would rate it terrible! It was great! The resort is very clean including public washrooms. Everything is within 15 minutes walk (yes the place is big but what harm can it do to walk a little).. from lobby to the beach. We enjoyed the buffet and also the many choices of restaurants you can visit every night. I received great service from hotel staff down to bartenders. The only complaint I have is the Sunwing representatives, they have some internal conflicts with Best Day Travel but took it out on us (was very rude) just because we didn't go through them for booking a 1 day tour. They DID NOT maintain their professionalism at all and from now on, I doubt my husband and I will ever book anymore trips with Sunwing vacation (not to mention the flight back got delayed 7 hours).

We were not on our honeymoon but I agree that if you are, book an adult only resort. There were many kids running around at all times (not that they bothered us) but we would have enjoyed an adult only resort a lot more.

I would certainly recommend this place and if you are worried about resorts about looking at reviews, I would say it's a waste of energy. All resorts will have its good and bad reviews. Just pick a more reputable resort and go with a positive mentality, you'll enjoy your trip a lot more.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lancer2
Vancouver
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My experience at this resort was interesting. The hotel is beautiful but way to large, they even have a shuttle to take you to your room if you want.The Grand Sunset Princess is attached to the Riveria Princess...identical to the Sunset...they are side by side. At the Riveria Lobby you can sign up for free shuttle service to get to the town of Playa Del Carmen which is only a 15 minute drive (You can not walk it--way too far)...forget it...there are not enough shuttle runs so the shuttle is always full. It felt like a gimmick. The beach at the hotel is great but you have to stay parrarel to the massage beds as it is the only not so rocky spot to swim. "Beware of the Rocks" The best beach...without rocks is still at Playa...if you don't mind the smell of gas from the motor boats. (It costs about 13US by taxi so if you share it will be cheaper)-all the taxi drivers expect tips...just in case you were wondering)

Our Tour Operator was Sunwing...wow the experience getting there was perfect (Depends on the flight crew) the experience on the return not so good.

When we arrived we were given 1 king bed and a cot....since I was traveling with a friend we demanded to be moved to a room with 2 beds. We were moved the next day to a room with 2 double beds on the ground floor...it was okay if you don't mind the musty smell...a strong smell of soil....and in case you are wondering there are mosquitos so bring the off...lots of it. They only come out at night which is good but they are tiny so they will get you!!! Having said all that the rooms are modern and very nice. The service is good also although it gets noisy if you like sleeping in. The maids tend to wake you up to do the room...so make sure to put the "do not disturb" sign out

Our Tour Operator, Sunwing, was not very informative at the briefing at the resort...they were more interested in selling their tours...take it from me you can do everything on your own by taking a taxi or bus.

Our flights were horrible, arriving at 6am and departing at 12:50am...our room was ready when we arrived early but that is because they were held from the night prior...which was a shame because then we were asked to check out at 12noon...but the shuttle was not picking us up until 12:50am the next morning...wow what a long day.... We would have rather waiting for our room to be ready upon arrival and have our rooms until the evening the night we were leaving.....buyer beware. Anyway because no one told us that this is what happened we ended up staying in our rooms until 5pm (when we were suppose to have checked out at 12noon...ooops---we were charged a well worth $50.00 US because we stayed until 5pm---we were told that it would increase to $250.00 US if we didn't vacate pronto---which we did)

The food was amazing....for the first time, I did not get sick...and I ate and drank pretty much everything at the resort and at the town of Playa.

The massages by the beach were wonderful about $30.00 US...but if you go to Playa and walk the beach you can find massages at the beach for $18.00US for 70 minutes...well worth it!!!

The entertainment at the Resort was above par-excellent!!!

Hope this information is helpful to some of you....have fun in Mexico!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
9 Thank funtriptomexico
Ottawa
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess for our two week honeymoon. The hotel was nice, the food ranged from ok to great, and the beach was great, but the service was awful. They made very little effort to make us feel like our honeymoon was anything special. It was pretty much like a regular vacation and we were made to feel like another number.

When we checked in it turned out that we were booked into a junior suite and not the junior deluxe suite that our travel agent told us we booked. The honeymoon "upgrade" that they gave us was to a junior deluxe suite. There were 8 buildings perpindicular to the beach (1 being at the beach) and they stuck us in the 7th building. Our original room, we were told, was in the 8th building. It was a good 10 minute walk to the beach and there was no ocean view to speak of. We talked to everyone we could but no one was willing to do anything for us.

Our "honeymoon suprise" was a paper plate with dried prunes and apricots on it. The prunes left brown stains on the plate. They also gave us a small bottle of tequila with a minituare sombreo glued to the lid. That was it for honeymoon perks. They didn't even fold a towel into a swan or whatever. In fact for the first three days we had to request our room to be cleaned (this at 4pm).

In the end we made the most of it... it's hard to complain when you're lying on a white sand beach under a palm tree... but I will always feel that I was robbed of the romance of our honeymoon.

If you're going on vacation with several other families and you want a massive resort and don't really care about service, go ahead and book. If you're on your honeymoon or want any romance at all in your vacation, DON'T BOOK THIS PLACE.

p.s. the spa was really nice.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HoneySmith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#54 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!