“Loved This Resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax
“Loved This Resort”
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Just returned this morning and we loved this resort! First time in Mexico and we would recommend this resort to anyone. Travelled with my husband and our daughters who are 5 and 14. Didn't even bother with kids club. Kids were entertained playing in the pool all day. Buffets were great with lots of variety. We tried the Mexican, International and Seafood a la carte resturants and were extremely pleased with the food and service. We are already planning on returning next year for two weeks.

5 Thank Mandmsmommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,383)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Our vacation was booked from March 12 to the 19. Flew with Sunwing (no issues). Arrived at the hotel for check in. Everything went well. Buffets were ok, resort was pretty clean (we did see one cockroach in the hallway). The beach was ok, some rocks at the edge but once you are over the rocks the water is beautiful. Getting a chair might be a bit of a challenge.
BEWARE OF THIEVES!!! The resorts has in house theives that will take stuff out of your room...someone stole our ipod out of a knapsack!! The hotel does not take responsibility because it was not in the safe...so please lock up your stuff!!!

I always wanted the see the Mayan, I am glad I did but would never return to this resort!!!

2 Thank HeleneandSil
Houston, Tx
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My boyfriend and I just got back from our trip to the Grand Sunset Princess and we had a wonderful time. I'll try to categorize everything so that you can get a good idea of how everything was.
CHECK-IN: Fast... We were upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Junior Delux Suite because we asked. Just a bit bigger. We were shuttled to our room.
ROOM: It was one of the nicest I have seen. Marble floors, Nice Bedding, VERY CLean and New. Our room over looked the pool and was very close to the beach. The tub an shower and sinks were SUPER clean and new as well.
SAFE: we kept everything valuable in the safe and it was never disrupted.. We did leave watches and sunglasses out one day and they were not disturbed.
POOL: The pools are great. However, If you want to be where the music is, you are basically in the activity pool which is VERY fun but, there are the most kids there.
POOL BARS: They were great! VERY easy to get a drink. Not much waiting and we did not tip everytime. They can make anything so....If you like something...just ask. We had Mudslides, Rum punches...it was great.
BUFFETS: This was basically the only thing I did not like. Not terrible but just remember...you are in another country! Fresh to them is not necessarily Fresh to us...Breakfast omlet bar is great. The Lunch hamburgers and fish are great too as well as the Pallea and pasta. The Ice Cream here is REALLY good too.
A-LA CART: Again...not my favorite.... The grill was goo...Gladys is a sweetheart...she is the Hostess. Italian was not too good...We ordered Pizza and it was basically a frozen pizza. THE HABACHI PART OF MISO WAS EXCELLENT. We had a great time meeting people at the table and all of the food was AMAZING...Book this every day if you can...we could not book it the last 3 nights because it was full.
BEACH: It was great...Plenty of Chairs and sand....It was pretty rocky but, If you walk down toward Playa it gets to be basically sand. We had so much fun playing Beach Volleyball (gets kinda competitive...we loved that). It is a gorgeous beach though.
XEL-HA (SHELL-HA): AMAZING!!!!! If you are going to any excursion go there!!! we were both beside ourselves when we saw how beautiful it was. FISH are AVERYWHERE...This is where the movie "The blue lagoon" was filmed. It's truly paradise. they have restaurants and bars there as well and the whole thing is ALL-INCLUSIVE.
TULUM: We could have taken or left the ruins however the beach at TULUM is one of the most beautiful we have ever seen! When we paid for XEL-HA (SHELL-HA) we paid $3 extra to go to Tulum so...it was worth it to us!
LA QUINTA AVENIDA(Playa Del Carmen): SO FUn! we had a ball...VERY "mexicanny...with LOTS of Canadian and American tourists...IF you go there eat at "EL DIABLITO" I think it is on 12th or 16th....It was unbelievable...exactly what we were looking for. It was Mexican/Japanese fusion..ERIC is the Manager and his Girlfriend at another bar reccomended it to us! She was right!!!!
TRANSPORTATION: It is very easy to get around...next time I would rent a car. There is plenty of parking everywhere and that way you do not have to wait on a van or taxi!
WE HAD A GREAT TRIP and LOVED GSP!

9 Thank LewLew09
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Hi everyone, just returned from Grand Sunset on Wednesday March 18th. Myself and my two teenage children. Weather was wonderful, only one cloudy day.

The last three years I have travelled to Dominican and thought I would try something different this year. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. When you check in you are told that your beach towels are in your room, they weren't, make sure you go back to reception and pick up your towel cards.

Long walk to the beach about 10 minutes and people start saving places around 6:00 .am. so get out early and put out a towel. I brought our own beach towel from home to save a spot . $25 if you lose one. Beach was nice, soft sand and the loungers are lined up one right after another. Main pool is great place to be especially for my son who is 14 and likes to play the games.

We ate at three restaurants Italian, Mexican and Grill. The Mexican and Italian were good but the Grill was absolutely horrible. Reservations are made every morning starting at 8:30. They are located behind the lobby desk and you can only book for 2 days. The rest of the time we ate at the Buffet. They served the same thing every day, not much of a change.

Room was nice and clean, fridge was stocked with whatever you would like, just leave a note in the fridge with $1 trip. Usually I had to call to get another towel because their was 3 in our room. ...but it was brought up right away. No towel art in our room.

Entertainment was quite good and the Mexican night with the vendors, lot's to chose from . My daughter and I did some pottery one day as we sat by the pool, prices were quite reasonable and it's always nice to have a souvenir that we made.

We had one mishap at the resort the last night we were there. My daughter and I were heading back to our room and this security guy kept following us. I turned around and said why are you following us and he wouldn't answer me just kept following us. We had to run up a few flights of stairs and then down again in order to get to our room without him seeing where we were staying. A little bit frightening.

If I go back to Mexico I would try a different hotel that wasn't this big.

Hope you enjoy your trip, if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them for you.

6 Thank Karebear_9
Chicago
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We just got back last night, and to all of you reading this that have a trip coming up, don't worry one bit. we never saw any mosquitos, the rest. that has an odor is the fish rest., there are 5 others to choose from so who cares! The staff were great, every bar had my drinks,(Absolut, Capt Mogan, Johnny Walker etc.) Our one complaint is that you have to get out real early( before 6) to mark the loungers . We had a great time, and would go back in a heartbeat. Everyone we met was loving it so go have a great time. As a side note, we took Apple out of Chicago, they were great, but Aeromexico needs alittle help.

7 Thank Bob-tara
London, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We have been to the Mayan Riviera before & loved it so we came back! We flew out of London with Skyservice. Much cheaper than out of Toronto. We paid the extra $35 to sit at an emergency exit seat which had much more leg room and no hassle of wondering if you will be separated from your travel partner. No long line ups etc . The only problem was with the return as our speakers did not work. Oh well thank goodness we brought other devices to listen to & also that my bag was over by 3-6 lbs. Be careful it cost me $40.00 Canadian at the airport in Mexico. Usually they combine our luggage to balance it out?? We will be contacting Transat about that (another story another time)
We arrived at the GSRP with a group of 10 and were quickly given our rooms. We booked with Transat and opted for the Regency Club Deluxe Junior suite Swim up. Google to find out all the extras. Very worth it.! Complimentary 500ml bottle of Tequila, and 200ml of each Rum, Brandy & another Tequila.
Wow, what a beautiful room we had, Very clean, new towel art everyday, fridge restocked daily, refills on your toiletries, turn down service etc. Great private balcony with access to the pool right from your room. Another agency offered the Lagoon suites but on some days walking by you could get a whiff of that swampy h2o smell. Yuck! however, they at one point drained one side & were cleaning it so I'm sure that was a fluke!
Restaurants were good. Strange al a carte bookings though? We could only book for the following 2 nights?? Not too impressed with the International. Our Favs were the Italian 'Momma Mia' and the Mexican "la Hacienda' Eat the Guacamole as it's excellent!!
24 hour room service was excellent & prompt too.
The drinks were cold & flowing. The waittress' were excellent! We got to them by name very fast.
We didn't get to any of the shows this time but I kinda think they all are very much the same from resort to resort.
We did an excursion to Xel-Ha again...so much to see & do there. Also did a lot of shopping at Playa Del Carmen bring your visa (lots of good deals)
I love the ocean but was not too keen on this resorts beach. One area was blocked off for either Sunwing or Sunquest & it was hardly full while the rest of us were squished in perfect rows ?? Wierd?? We hung out by our own swim up rooms!!
The Staff were friendly & polite at all times. Who cares if you have to wait a few min. for a drink when it's sunny & 30 degrees !!
Make the most of your vacation you earned it!
Don't forget to tip! ....Everyone.... Even the cooks who make the awesome omlettes, stuffed jalepano poppers & guacomole!!
Enjoy this resort!
Complainer types....stay home!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
9 Thank sandybeach64
DENVER, CO
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We just got back from our vacation and I must say the hotel is very beautiful and very clean! However I would not recommend this hotel to anyone or stay there ever again even if it was free! As I said the hotel is very beautiful it is amazing but everything else is awful and I do mean awful.

The food was horrible but had a wide variety of nasty food, so we took a cab down to 5th to have dinner our last few nights because every restaurant the food was horrible. The breakfast buffet we could not ever eat there because it smelled so bad when you walked in, we could not stay the smell would just upset our stomach. However they do have a 24 hr sports bar and the burgers and nachos were actually good but you can only eat so many of them.

As for the liquor it was horrible as well they considered every thing that was bottom shelf here in the us top shelf there in Mexico, so they had no Crown Royal Hennessey Grey Goose nothing like that at all as I said they had all bottom shelf alcohol and only corona beer.

Ok next our room as I said before it was beautiful however the place is infested with mosquitoes in the rooms, They attacked us it was awful, we should have been relaxing instead we were itching and scared to be in our room because they would attack us. I called the office several times they always said they were sending someone and never did. Finally I went up to the front and showed them we were all bitten up, I couldn’t even take pictures because I had bites every where, so they went with a can of raid and sprayed our room which did nothing for us at all! I bought off and calamine lotion hoping they would stay away from us and used there curtsy mesquite wipes all over my body however that did not work and the lotion did not stop the itch! It was so bad we tried to just go to our room and go right to bed and we would sleep all the way under the covers head and all so they wouldn’t bite us, I know as awful as it sounds it was horrible they would bite our face ears hands fingers o man it was so bad and the hotel did nothing about it and did not even seem to care I guess they are just use to people complaining! We talked to several other people there that had bites all over them they had the same problem so please beware of this hotel!

The staff at the front desk was very rude and just didn’t care. I think the resort is just to big for its own good! I have been to Mexico several times and will say this was my worst experience ever, it was so bad I was so happy to leave that has never happened before normally I am sad to leave but I must say I was over joyed to get out of that place. We spent so much money eating and drinking out because everything was so bad at our resort! I feel like what a waste of money that vacation was we have no good memories from it or pictures because who wants pictures with big red bites everywhere Yuk!

So if you are thinking about staying at this resort please think again and look else where, because the experience at this place was so awful I can not even tell you. The liquor is bad the food is AWFUL the service is bad they would knock once and just walk in! We would tip to get our fridge stocked with soda however they only stocked it 3 times out of the whole week we stayed. I always had to call the front desk for towels sometimes 3 times before they finally brought me some. It was just a very bad vacation that’s all I can say!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

4 Thank BMSOLANO
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!