“Beautiful Large Resort!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #75 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is a very large resort. We stayed in the Villa Laguna suites and our room was gorgeous! With that the private pool area was very nice. Being able to book all of our dinners at the restaurants of our choice the day we got there was a definite positive of being platinum. Very clean resort. Great service. I'm a picky eater so the food wasn't my favorite but it wasn't the worst I've ever eaten. The hibachi grill is a MUST! It was by far my favorite food and experience! There was a Rock show that was amazing too! This is a great resort if you don't mind a little walking to get everywhere. The beach was about a 5 minute walk from our room. the ocean is a little rocky so you might want to wear swim shoes. The beach is beautiful and clean!

Room Tip: Platinum! Laguna is great!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hzfamilyof6
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know that we have provided you a great vacation spot and you fell in love with your Villa. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to the wonderful treatment you received from everybody and you left with great memories.

Looking forward to seeing you for second time here in Grand Sunset Princess.
Obed Canche

There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I took my boyfriend to the yucatan (adult only section) and I would not recommend buying it . We had company from another couple and they had the standard suit which was a replica of our suit that cost us $500-$700 more . Complete rip off , although the platinum services are nice; butler service in the platinum only section of the beach, free room service, free wi fi, larger towels, robe with house slippers, mini bar (surprisingly not standard sized bottles, just the dinky Mickey size) . I would recommend any other platinum section as the yucatan rooms are no different than the standard (which is a nice room for anyone interested paying less).
The service was fantastic and the resort is beautiful and clean. Food at the buffet is differently themed every evening ,although lunch is around the same. There are two buffets that are the same looking so make sure you are clear with company on which one you plan to meet for dinner :) the a la cart food is delicious! Favourite was any Asian!!! (not surprised that their sushi isn't good).
The only issue we came across was that our door smashed the glass closet doors located behind the door on a night of too much to drink. We later recognized that the door stopper was broken. The staff did quick investigation and agreed that we are not to blame along with dropping any assumed charges, which was golden news for us.
The people at the resort were young couples and singles (all surprisingly gorgeous!) I'm not sure if there was some type of fit-expo but the couples walking around both had six packs with a family of one, two, or three kids .
Night life was always fun! The club is always full of people, everyone is dancing, music is fantastic (new,old, Spanish) .
HIGHLY recommend staying at this resort as we had a FABULOUS time .
Hope this helps :)

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Anna Z
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Anna Z,
Thank you so much for your comments and recommendations. They are very important and useful to us in order to improve our services; we are looking into them.
We regret to know that our yucatan suites does not exceed your expectations.

We would like to invite you once again to share your stay with us during a next visit to the Riviera Maya and give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to excellent service and our improvements in quality and service in all levels.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We traveled to Riviera Maya two years ago. We had a party of four adults and four children ranging from five to nine years old. We stayed on the 2nd floor right infront of the party pool. You would imagine that the noise from the pool was terrible, but it was the complete opposite!!! We loved the fact that they turned the pool/activities down after sunset. That gave us plenty of time to regroup, have dinner and sleep without having to worry about noise. The beach was slightly rocky at the entrance but if you take water shoes, you will not have a problem. We also loved that every day the hotel has a different theme night. One day, they even have vendors with reasonable prices. Our tours, we booked with them and had an EXCELLENT time =)

Negatives: Food can use an overhaul. I felt we needed more seafood =(

We will be traveling again July 16th for a week with a larger party. We have a total of three bedrooms reserved. We are hoping that they are close to each other and by the party pool once again. In addition we will be traveling with a 15 month old baby. I will make sure to write a review when we return as I know many people are afraid to travel with infants and children.

Room Tip: Take Bubba cups.. the bartenders will fill them up to the top and you wont have to keep going to the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mari m

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having selected our resort as your holiday destination and for taken the time to write your positive impressions. We are glad to hear you could enjoy our installations and facilities.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back when returning to the Riviera Maya and offer you a memorable stay.

Obed Canche

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed at this hotel from 25th May 2014 until 9th June, we had a swim up junior deluxe room and we loved it! The resort is split into two Riviera and Sunset and we were on the Sunset side we had the sun on our room all morning until about 2pm and the waitress walked by all day to get you drinks etc. The resort is really big but its not a problem at all unless you do struggle walking or are just bone idle. It took no more than 10 minutes to walk from true reception down to the beach, the walk down is lovely as the grounds are kept in such immaculate condition and theres lots of wildlife too.

We used a few of the different pools and there is something for everyone, the party pool is what it says on the tin, you have the quieter pools and the adult only areas. all the pools are cleaned daily, and we never had any issues getting a lounger. The beach is also stunning, lots of reviews said vendors were in the way. I have no idea what they're talking about other than the spa offering massages (if you say no they leave you alone) and the water sports hut there were no other vendors. We were always able to get a lounger and the food and drink service on the beach was fantastic. The beach was always clean, obviously it is a natural habitat and when it was windy seaweed and debris from trees etc would wash up but that is to be expected.

The food in the buffet was great always lots of choice and a enough selection for even the fussiest eater, we ate at the french, italian, japanese, chinese and the grill all of them were brilliant. The french and the grill were my favourite the quality of food was brilliant. The wine available on the all inclusive wasn't great but the spirits and cocktails were perfect. We did buy a few bottles of red wine from the wine list all of these were good quality and reasonably priced, but they were served cold which really bugged us (that is honestly my only complaint).

The staff were all friendly and helpful and willing to do what they could for you. Because the resort is so large it does lack personal touch. You don't get to know the staff as well as you would in a smaller resort.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again, I loved it. it was my first time in Mexico and it was perfect.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are worth every penny. So handy when you want to get away from the main areas!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank April678
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference as well as for letting future travelers knows about your satisfaction on this trip.

We are honored to hear about the excellent service provided by our hard working staff during your stay. They will be very happy in receiving your compliments.

We will be waiting for your news when you decided to repeat your experience in our little paradise.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Sure I can have good things to say about the Grand Sunset Princess (arrived home last night), however when traveling, customer service above all else is the #1 factor (#2 is food and #3 is accommodations and they failed here also) to a positive trip experience. It could be accommodations not to my liking or an unpleasant restaurant experience, but it's how I'm responded to and treated as a result of the situation that can make the difference. Never in my travels have I been treated so rudely, sarcastically, and disrespectful when traveling and I'm not only talking about from an employee standpoint but also from managers. And, the mood was set right from the beginning at check in with such a disappointing experience. We had an early flight and arrived at the hotel by 11am and did a pre-check in. Besides when we booked the trip, we reminded the front desk attendant of our room requests. We checked by in at 2:45pm (sure check in is at 3pm), based on the room we were sent to, none of our requests were provided. We returned to the front desk and had two gentleman (two different back to back experiences) talk to us so disrespectful and dismissive and they were extremely impatient as if we were inconveniencing them. They both continued reminding us that regardless of what was requested previously, check in was at 3pm to the point they started banging on the sign that states that on the desk. My thing is we did pre check in before the hundred other folks that arrived at 3pm and no one at the hotel could put a note in the system of our request and then once we returned we are told that nothing is available that we requested and meanwhile we can overhear that others who are just now getting to the hotel are not only getting their rooms but also getting upgrades. Finally we ask for a manager. The Front Desk Manager, Amaury Aguilar comes over and we notice that it's a gentleman that was standing within ear shot of the two conversations we previously had and never stepped in to handle the situation. After Mr. Aguilar began talking to us we now know the culture of the hotel and the learned behavior that the previous front desk employees had. Yes Mr. Aguilar began telling us about the check in time of 3pm (obviously this is a talking point that they are told to say over and over and over again to shut the customer down) and as the manager let us know he is able to do whatever he wants, but will not be accommodating us. Yes after seeing how frustrated we are and hearing our complaints regarding how we feel we are being treated. We have now been traveling since 2:30am and it's now 4pm and we still don't have a room. Well the manager who can do whatever he wants and said he would give us a room sends us to what was probably one of the worst rooms in the hotel (see pictures below). Head board was torn up and written on with a marker. The mirrors in the bathroom had markings all over them. The tub was stained/dirty and not worth stepping in. What a slap in the face of total disrespect. Here Mr. Aguilar is the manager (and as he so boldly mentioned he can do anything) and you would send us to this room (housekeeping said they knew about the room, although they tried to act like they didn't). If it weren't for the fact that we were here for a friend's birthday and we were in a foreign country we would have found a way out. So we get a room change again (now on our third room). You would think after all we went through for the day Mr. Aguilar would call us to say sorry and check on us. NO!!! Not once through this whole ordeal did anyone say I'm sorry. Not once. Not the employees. Not the manager. Basically, this is how it is, so deal with it (mind you a women we didn't even know who heard what was going on when at the desk said she also had problems). Not here is a complimentary massage. A dinner. Nothing. I will also mention that the birthday girl had to wait an hour extra for her room that was filthy upon her entering it. Speaking of the birthday girl, the night of her birthday we gathered in a friends room just to sing happy birthday and have toast. We were stalked by an employee, walking around and looking up in to the room. And, then a manager, Antonio Savatez (spelling of last name might be incorrect) banged on the door and immediately upon opening the door barked at us "whose room is this?" No good evening can I speak to the person whose room this is? And, proceeded to aggressively say we all must leave. Again, if we had to leave I would be fine with that. But, again just the level of rudeness and disrespect was so uncalled for. And, overall I felt uncomfortable and not safe here.

Also, I've never been told "NO" so much when asking questions around the hotel. So much so I didn't want to ask them anything else. Can you recommend a beach outside of the hotel? No! Can we have a few plastic cups to take to the room? No! Can we make a reservation for dinner? No! And, trust there were many more of those. Well we ended up spending most of our time off of the property (thank goodness for 5th Avenue, Cozumel, and Chichen Itza).

Food is weak. Drinks are watered down. Beach was nice. Property is nice looking. Had a great massage on the beach. Will never come back and will make sure I tell everyone I can possibly tell not to either. Royal Resort here I come next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank KBoxill

Dear KBoxill
On behalf of Grand Sunset Princess receive our most sincere apologies for not fulfilling your expectations, although our goal is to have all of our guests leave this resort completely satisfied, the reality of the travel industry is that it is not possible to please everyone all of the time. After reading your review, it is clear to me that your visit to our resort was not representative of the usual experience that our guests have here.

Regarding the Check-in time, we would like to reconfirm a very important point ,we always try to please all our guests, unfortunately we cannot guarantee a early Check-in as there are subject to availability ; like many hotels in this area ,our Check-in time is 3:00 pm.

It is a shame we were not able to satisfy your needs and we would love to have another opportunity to host you again at Grand Sunset Princess. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with our team, immediate corrective actions in all the areas you have highlighted have been taken in order to improve our service in the future.

We take your comments very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share them.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice place but service sucks. Arrived a little after 11am and after having to change rooms 3 times, without a possibility of an upgrade, we got the junior suite across from the kiddie pool and settled in after 5pm. The front desk staff was unaccommodating and rude and it was obvious why....the manager, Amaury Aguilar, he was the worst.
I have to say, they didn't know that I knew Spanish so if you can imagine, I got an earful.
There were 18 of us who came down to celebrate our friend's 50th and everyone had one issue or another with the service.
Nice Place, Service Sucks. The property is big and depending where your room is you may need a golf cart like bus to shuttle you around or walk in the hot sun. There were never enough shuttles especially during peak times and it seemed like people were always waiting. Not what you want to do during your vacation!
Nice Place, Service Sucks...all inclusive but you better make reservations on day one for every night or you'll have to settle for buffet. Of course no one tells you that and of course buffet is just ok...sigh. In addition, I believed the drinks were spiked with water. I have a 3 drink threshold before I fall on my face and all I got was full! Boooooo!
Nice Place, Service sucks....trust me I can go on but hopefully for the money you will spend here, you will go somewhere else. There are so many beautiful hotels, beaches and people at Playa del Carmen. We all plan to go back but definitely NOT at the Grand Sunset Princess

Room Tip: If you must stay here...upgrade your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear GladeceK,
On behalf of Grand Sunset Princess, we would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experience with us in your last visit at Playa del Carmen.

First and far most let us extend our sincere gratitude for the opportunity of hosting you; we strongly believe in customer satisfaction and always look forward to your feedback about our services.

In reference about your bad experience with our front desk staff, I would like to say that all our staff will retake immediately a quality customer service training in order to avoid future incidents like the one you’ve experienced and clearly understand that our major goal is total guest satisfaction, and wishes to extend a most sincere apology. I understand that first impressions are the ones that last and truly would like to have a second chance to prove how valuable you are to us.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Grand Sunset Princess with which we are building our reputation and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I had never taken a trip to the Ocean before, -I had never seen the Ocean before.- So, we landed on deciding to venture ourselves to the Grand Sunset Princess, as well as opting up to the exclusive sweets. I must say upgrading does have its advantages.

The Resort-
Once we arrived they welcomed us with champagne and a courtesy ride to our room with our luggage (one more reason to upgrade.) We arrived later evening and was briefly able to evaluate the facility, but noticed the grounds were very well kept. In addition the staff seemed to keep all areas of the campus clean. Our room was very well put together and clean. The beach did have its fair share of seaweed, and some odor from the methane produced by the kelt being pushed in.

The Staff-
Generally speaking everyone was great, but naturally we found our favorites throughout the week. The Server in the Exclusive area is absolutely great!!! Very friendly and always of great service. The only downside is in the exclusive beach area, due to being away from the closest serving station, you may have to wait 45 minutes or more for your server to return.

Restaurants-
Upon arrival to our room we had two restaurants chosen for us for the first two nights stay. Neither were spectacular or terrible, they sufficed for an evening meal. Le Fleur would be our pick of the resort when it comes to restaurants that were above average. As well as La Fondue having its fair share of delectable items.

Overall, our first trip to the ocean was Grand, and we loved the resort and all the amenities that followed suit with our stay here. If I could give any advice about staying at the Grand Sunset Princess, it would be to make the upgrade if your able to. The time, effort and comfort of being on vacation should be enjoyable. Spend the extra you've worked for, and keep yourself relaxed. It is a very big resort -Very Big-, so utilize the transportation when available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Corey E

Dear Corey E,

We feel honored to have hosted you in our hotel during your recent holiday in Playa del Carmen!

The comments received by our costumers are very important to maintain the great quality of our resort we appreciate your review.

We hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Sunset Princess to experience again the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!