“Enjoyed a wonderful relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #71 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Enjoyed a wonderful relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the platinum suites. Our suite was beautiful with a gorgeous oceanview. The room was immaculate and well decorated. Very spacious and quiet.

Beautiful deck with a whirlpool.

Food was very good. Many options at the buffet with many options to suite every taste. How can you go wrong with made to order breakfast at the buffet. Beautiful fresh fruit displays. If you prefer you can order off the menu. Toast, juice, and coffee brought to your table which is a nice bonus. Specialty restaurants at night were a nice variety.

Entertainment was enjoyable.

Perfect vacation choice

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Janice B
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Janice B,

Thank you for your preference as well as for letting future travelers knows about your satisfaction on this trip.

We are delighted to hear that your expectations were mostly met and that our staff has succeeded in their effort to accommodate you and offer a pleasant stay.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to have the pleasure to serve you again at your home in paradise.

Best Regards,
Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,287)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Awesome week at Grand Sunset Princess. (Note: while this is my third all-inclusive stay in Playa del Carmen, it was my first at this level. My last stay was at The Riu Lupita which is one of the cheapest all-inclusives in the area and was a great deal for the money. It should not be expected to be comparable to the Princess or Gran Bahia. Also, based on price and stars, the Princess was expected to be, and it was, a step up from the Gran Bahia. In general, you get what you pay for when it comes to all-inclusives.). This place exceeded all my expectations.
We had 3140 which is a deluxe junior suite. It is in the building closest to the Sunset Snack bar. Very quiet at night. Nothing around at night but during the day, there is pool right next to it with swim up bar, breakfast and lunch buffet, close to beach access and the little beach store. Loved this location All the buildings are connected so if you need to stay out of the sun or rain, you can wind your way through the buildings from one end of the resort to the other. But the central walk way has a lot of ambience that you should not miss.
Service was fantastic. I miss the "room fairy" already. We only saw her once all week. The rest of the week, she would get in and out while we were out of the room. We left notes and she gave us whatever we asked for. We left one note asking for more of a particular soda when they refilled the mini-fridge and got what we asked for all week. Bottled water was always plentiful in the fridge also. We did not initially get the room we thought we wanted. They were booked solid. They told us to come back the next day. We did come back the next day and they gave us two other options but by then we decided we liked the location of our room so much that we did not decide to move. Instead, we requested a roll away bed and it was delivered quickly while we were at dinner. I would recommend really studying the little map before telling them where you want to be. In the middle, there is an area that is super quiet and equidistant to everything with more chances to see wild life from your balcony, you can also be in the middle in an area right by the activities pool which would be vibrant during the day and super quiet at night. If you are on the beach end, you are close to food and drinks in the daytime but not at night. If you are on the lobby end, you are close to the wifi, 24 hour sports bar but far from beach. Some of this area would probably be loud until 11 p.m. Based on our experience, I would say that if they have the rooms available, they will accommodate your request but it may take a day if you show up on Saturday like we did during a busy time of year.
Service was so good that they exceeded our expectations. When we called for suitcase pick up on the day of check out, they were there in five minutes. We called too son and they had to come back again because we never expected them to show up so quickly.
While some complain about the size of the resort, I was grateful for it. Had we not walked so much, we would have gained twenty pounds. Four different buffets to choose from for lunch and breakfast, along with snack bars at the beach and the Sports bar, unlimited beverages and many, many dinner choices would be too much if you were not walking and swimming all day. However, you did not have to walk. A shuttle ran the length of the resort 24 hours a day. As long as you gave yourself a little extra time to wait for the shuttle, you would not need to walk very far. Late at night, you can ask security or operator to send the shuttle for you. If you just need to run in somewhere and grab something, they will wait for you. At peak times, you will have to walk or wait a while as shuttles will be full. There are a couple buildings with elevators if you need it. If you have strollers, I would recommend you take this into consideration.
Food was bland as it is in much of the area and at all all-inclusives. There is pico de gallo, salsa and guacamole to add for flavor along with other sauces at every meal. But there was something for everyone and I am a picky eater. Desert choices were always great. Salad was always available as was fruit. Breakfast probably had the most variety of the local foods if you would like to try something different. But they also had the American favorites, pancakes, french toast, omelet/egg station, a tremendous amount of fruit and breads/pastries, churros, yogurts, etc. Drinks were always available at the buffets. Each buffet had an adjacent full bar so you were not limited at meals like other resorts where I have stayed and cruises where it was a long wait to even get a soda with dinner. They had theme nights at buffets, artists market on Thursday night. We only saw a little bit of one show, the Michael Jackson show, and it was over the top from the shows I have seen at other resorts.
This resort is geared more towards day time and evening activities. If you want any late night party scene, you will need to hop in a taxi for the ten to fifteen minute ride to Playa del Carmen or do the Coco Bongo bus. This resort was very quiet at night.
The dive shop at the resort had ragged equipment but great guides/captain. I saw more and was in a much smaller group than the snorkeling boat trip that I paid a whole lot more for at Maroma. If you want fancy, new equipment, spend a day going to Maroma Adventures. But if you want attentive, informative and friendly guides with more time in the water and fewer people kicking you with their fins, book from the resort.
If you want the free scuba lesson in the pool, you must ask about it. It is not advertised anywhere. I asked Sam at the stand by the towel exchange and got to try it out. I named the day and time. This was much better than the other big resort I stayed at where they did it once a day, three times a week, at a very inconvenient time with a very large group.
There was beach service if you sat near the chill out bar. I was annoyed that they charged money for the chill out bar. It did not look like anyone was paying for it and it would have been nice if they would have let us just use that as another beach area with snack bar instead of just an area for roped off empty chairs. This was not really an issue, just something I want to mention in case they do read these reviews. There was a full-service bar on the beach with self-service soda and water. Also a small grill buffet with hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos on the beach every day that it was not raining. The beach was amazing. There were rocky areas as is expected near a reef so bring water shoes if you have tender feet. I do not and had no problems. Previous reviews complained of vendor huts. These must have been removed. There was a pavilion for massages on the beach and a scuba shop but no vendor huts. There were plentiful palapas even when the hotel was sold out and we did not make it to the beach till noon. There is so much to do in the resort and in the area that it never feels crowded. There are always empty chairs at the beach, pools, the restaurants and the lounging areas.
Free wifi was available in the area downstairs from the main lobby by the sports bar. At first we did not like having to go there to access it but by the end of the week, we were quite happy with their arrangement. It forced us to unplug from the internet most of the time which really made for a more relaxing vacation but we still had daily access to email, etc.
Alfredo at check in, Victor at the lobby bar, Eden with the late night shuttle, Sam with the free scuba lesson in the pool, Marie with housekeeping, Antonio and Ricardo with the snorkeling and Adan at the buffet went out of their way to make sure we had a great time and that we want to come back/invite others. My friend said Leonardo gave the best massage she has ever had. There were others at the buffets who were very helpful and a great waiter at La Hacienda but unfortunately, I do not recall their names. I loved that when I needed something, someone was always there to take care of me without complaints. One week is not enough to fully enjoy this resort/area but I feel very blessed to have gotten a week there. Just keeping one buffet open from 3 to 5:30 would have been nice but this resort exceeded the standards for the area especially at this price point. We don't expect things to be the same in other countries as it is in the U.S. What would be the point of traveling abroad if everything were the same? But a little more training on safe food handling/service would have prevented my only complaints about this resort. The resort made an obvious effort to accommodate the majority of guests who were coming from countries with very stringent health codes but I witnessed a couple things that I could not believe. Security was above and beyond anything I have witnessed in the U.S. or abroad. Nobody left or arrived at that resort without their knowledge. They wrote down license plates, checked bracelets and even politely kept drunk teenagers from trying to swim in the ocean at night. (not anyone from our group...just a girl we met who said they let her put her feet in the water but did not let her swim, drunk, at night). Lifeguards were also more present than other resorts. Looks like they had all the equipment they would need should an accident occur which is more than I can say for other resorts I have stayed at, there and in the U.S.
Tips are not solicited or encouraged. The bartenders would not even let you see them pick up the tip but I think most people leave a dollar or two here or there. You will get better service if you tipped them the last time. I am not saying this in any critical way. I don't mind tipping a dollar here or there to reward people for extra service. I certainly did not receive unsatisfactory service when I did not tip.
We were not able to get all the reservations we were supposed to get at the a la cartes because we did excursions and were not there at 2 o'clock to book them. They were booked when we got back to the resort or up to the lobby. You must go at 2 o'clock or close to it, in person, to an area behind the lobby bar past the gauntlet of excursion sales people to book the a la carte restaurants. We really enjoyed La Hacidenda. It was strange to sit down and order entrée, drinks and desert but then get up to go to appetizer buffet but it was all good. My friends really enjoyed the Hibachi but it did not float my boat so I went to the buffet. That is the beauty of this type of resort. If one thing is not your idea of perfect, then you just take a few steps for a different scene. Feel free to ask me questions!
Overall, the resort was amazing and I will go back as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Study the map. There is an area for everyone.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
16 Thank sunloverinatlanta
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear sunloverinatlanta,

Your comment is a true statement of the dedication of our staff to guarantee that you have all the necessary components for a nice experience. We don't know how to thank you for such wonderful compliments.

Rest assured that we are already looking forward to have you here with us again at Grand Sunset Princess.

Thank you very much for recommending us and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Beware: Food is terrible, I'm from NYC and travel quite often. I got sick from drinking so much and not consuming food... Buffet was the worst buffet I've seen in my life, my college campus has better food! Also if you want to eat any where else besides the buffet YOU must make reservations before 4pm and 2 days prior... How the heck are you supposed to know what you would like to eat 2 days prior? The best food we had was on our atv and zip lining excursion!

Beautiful resort, nice room, nice pools but the beach water isn't pretty. I have videos and photos, my girlfriend went to cancun 2 months prior and said the water was totally and her experience at riu cancun was 5x better!

Staff is nice but they aren't accommodating. This isn't 4-5 star resort... Maybe 4-5 stars in Mexican standards but not for America.

I don't understand how people can spend their honeymoon at this resort...My girlfriend said if we came here for a honeymoon she would of divorced me!

Wifi is not included, not only isn't it included but it's a ripoff and the signal is extremely weak!

If I do go back to Mexico, I will go to rui or grand velas I rather the spend the extra cash instead of being cheap this time around.

Stayed in room 1106

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Forever21gunz
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time to share your comments which are very important to us. We regret that you did not enjoy the dishes of our Restaurants and found them to not be up to your expectations. Be sure that I will share your lines to our Food and Beverage Management and they will make the proper measure of improvement. As we know, there are always areas of opportunity that we may have and we thank you for highlighting this to us.

It is important to let you know that we have a total of 4 different buffets for you to choose from and 7 a la Carte Restaurants.
We have to cater to a huge amount of varying tastes as we have people from different countries at the resort at any one moment. This invariably leads to extreme opinions of some people loving the food, and some people hating it. However, we have taken note of everything you have said about the food and we are going to send your notes to our Executive Chef in order for him to make the proper adjustments.

Once again, we are very sorry that our food was not as you expected and hope that you will gives us the opportunity to serve you in the near future to exceed your expectations in all these areas!

Drummondville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

This hotel was perfect. Good food, good service, comfortable rooms, spatious, calm, air conditionning worked well, the staff was very friendly ( in particular Margarita, Guadalope and Diana in the Sunset lobby bar were very nice to us)It's a very very big resort so if you don't want to walk a lot during your vacation don't go there. But our room, 2211, was very well placed. In the middle of the lobby and the beach, 10 minutes walks each side...but if you are going there, be sure to be on the Sunset side because they are working day and night on the Riviera side to do some construction..so a lot of noise. A lot of people told us to go on the Yucatan adult only side or take the platinum package to have a 5 star treatment or to get the most tranquility...it's really not necessary. The Yucatan section is on the Riviera side so the construction make a lot more noise than children and as for the Platinum package...yes you have your own private pool, and yes you have a little section on the beach reserved for you...but on the regular beach, there is more than enough chairs for everyone and more than enough pools to not be overcroweded. It was very easy to get réservations for the A la Carte restaurants....we managed to get 4. We didn't have one each night because we didn't want to...we had other plans..so if you read that it's difficult, it's not true.The buffet is really nice to, every day a lot of choices for everyone. Every one of them were very good, very good looking..I read before that people were uncomfortable because the staff often asked for tips and that you would have a bad service if you didn't give them what they wanted..we never felt that in the whole week that we were there, The staff were very friendly with us at all time. Always sayin' hi, and making smiles. We had the time of our lives and we gladly be willing to go back there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper levels they smell fine. Be sure to be on the Sunset side for more tranqui...
7 Thank Annie B
Dear Annie B

We are very pleased to read that this is a perfect place to stay. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Please feel free to contact us for a future stay in order to prepare all the details before arrival, and make your next visit the most unforgettable experience in the Mexican Caribbean.

Warm greetings
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have been to the Grand Sunset Princess twice, 15 days each time. At first, we liked the hotel facilities more than anything, like you can expect some people provided great customer service and some others not so much. The food is ok, not excellent but not bad either, though we had bad luck with the service in the restaurants, it was hard to get a waiter. Then the front desk, in both trips we had some angry and rude people at the front desk, this time was Amaury, man, what a rude guy to put at THE FRONT DESK. Whatever. We paid our room charges and simply said thank you and walked away.

During our first trip we paid for a deluxe junior suite, it is a nice room all in all, we had garden view but we didn't care, we spent the whole trip outside the room anyway. The second time we paid for a platinum suite, this time I wanted to make sure I had room service for free, internet for free and also to be able to drink the alcohol brand that I wanted, and why not, maybe a better room too?

Well, the room service was ok, the menu is pretty small and the food is like bar food or even worst, depending on what you get. There are 2 or 3 good items though. Then, the internet.... there was no Wifi signal in our room, none at all. Sucks because during our trips we have to do little work here and there. The alcohol? I didn't get my alcohol either, last trip when I asked for Tanqueray (because it was right there at the bar) they told me it was only for platinum guests, so this time I made sure I was platinum, so there was my Tanqueray at the bar, I asked for it and they told me they didn't have any more and took the bottle?!?! Next time I came for a drink the bottle was there again and they wouldn't offer it to me, and instead they offered me some Gin from a plastic bottle with no label... haha. Fine, I don't care, I am such a happy individual when I am on vacation that honestly it didn't bother me but it didn't end there, our room... Our platinum suite was falling apart, shower leak, broken stuff in the patio, broken curtains and the Jacuzzi in the patio was a bit rusty and faded. The platinum suite was identical to our deluxe junior suite, just different colour furniture and in a lot worst condition, Blah, my wife was more disappointed than me.

So, the hotel is very very big, we never felt crowded, you can always find a quiet spot if that's what you need. Most employees provide good customer service, but be careful with the front desk.

From 1 to 10,1 being the lowest and 10 the highest score:

Rooms 7, based on the deluxe junior suite, the platinum was meh....

Pools 9, many pools, all clean, hard to find chairs or palapas

Customer service 6, being that in two different trips the front desk service was rude and poor

Food 6, we never said wow, this is yummy! but they do have a lot of different things to eat.

Facilities 8, the hotel in general is huge, clean and in good shape

Entertainment 8, good shows and activities, things to do for kids and adults

Internet 0, wifi signal was horrible, free in platinum but again, no signal and 20 bucks a day in the other rooms, with also bad signal

Room service 6, only free for platinum suites, menu is rather small and some stuff wasn't even edible, our order was always wrong too.

It is an ok hotel, like any other place has details, unfortunately we tried it twice and we won't be staying there again, we go to the riviera maya every year and there are better places to spend your money.

Room Tip: If you have no kids go for a swim up room, totally worth it I promise! Then, MAKE SURE you get a roo...
5 Thank Verstappengt30r
Dear guest,
First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Grand Sunset Princess.

It is very disheartening for us to note that your vacation stay was not as was expected and that the situations you encountered had such a negative impact.

I have shared your comments with the general manager and I can assure you that the management has taken actions to improve our service with the front desk staff.

While we understand that we may not be able to change your perception of our Resort, we know that the experiences encountered were definitely not the norm, and trust that as we address this concern with immediacy, you will be willing to afford us another opportunity to be of service to you on a future stay.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and hope that you may have a different outlook on our resort.

Warm Regards,
Drumbo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Me and My wife stayed at the resort from May 17 until May 24. The staff at the resort did an excellent job at taking care of us. Johnathan the concierge did a fabulous job. Any concerns we had he addressed and had them taken care of quicker than i ever expected. The A-La Cartes were very good. But watch out for the taco's that they call sweet peppers they are actually jalepeno peppers in them. We really like this resort and have been several times. We are going to go back in November for a wedding with friends. Cant Wait.

Room Tip: Platinum suites are close to the beach my favorite is the Laguna suites
3 Thank John M
Dear John M,

In Grand Sunset Princess we are committed to provide the most memorable experiences to our guests. I can assure you that we are more than proud to read we exceeded your expectations as you were expected.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at the Paradise!

Warm greetings,
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Lovely resort and immaculate grounds, pool, decor etc.

Nice beach and some areas to sit further along where there was more privacy but even in December it was very busy and you couldn't always get loungers.

Cocktails and mocktails available right on the beach and a beach BBQ at lunch but very basic.

The restaurants looked very nice but the Mexican restaurant was very very poor, I had to go to the buffet later to get something to eat. The buffet was okay, typical all inclusive really. I have to have a gluten free diet and it was incredibly hard to work out what I could have in the restaurants unless I knew myself it would be naturally gluten free and also cooked safely. None of the staff or the restaurant managers could tell me what was in the dishes and I was told to be safe and eat salad. Pretty poor. So I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you have a food allergy or intolerance unless it has improved. I took my own cereal and break to breakfast with me. The breakfast choice for normal eaters is very good.

The steak restaurant was much better than any of the others. Better quality meat and vegetables so we dined here twice. You need to book the restaurants a couple of days in advance.

Great swimming pools and other activities to attend.

Overall a very nice clean and bright resort but poor food. So I could only give it an average as the food is important to us.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We are very concerned with your disappointment regarding your stay in our resort. Let us express our apologies because we were not able to live up to your expectations. We assure you we are going to work on improving the negative issues you pointed out immediately.

However, allow me explain that usually our guests let us know in advance about their allergies and therefore we can provide the best attention. We regret that in this occasion was not possible.

We look forward to offering you an outstanding and much better service in your next visit, should you give us a second chance to turn your disappointment into satisfaction.

Kind regards,
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,356 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!