“HOT HOT HOT”

GreenLeadersSilver level
toronto
“HOT HOT HOT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

from the moment you arrive just feels like you are in heaven.
we arrive at night and were greeted with ice cold drinks and a towel.
check in was sort of long but everything got figured out quickly. travel agent made us 2 hotel room requests..?
anyways we had a room that opened up to a pool which was very cool.
the room was simple but very clean.
for some reason we kept having mosquitoes come in out room but we sprayed the room and actually brought a citronella candle with us that we turned on at night which was romantic.

the food was great. the buffet always had something to eat for everyone. never a problem finding a spot to sit.
the a la carts were different. thought Mexican was the best.
breakfast was my favorite food. eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, cereal, fresh fruit.

on 1 night we got a little freaked out because somebody from the hotel had asked my wife for her room number, she wasn't familiar with this worker so just gave him a different room number. later in the night the same man approached her and said that was not her room and began to get angry with her.
she went to tell security but they seemed like they were not able to help. a few seconds later the man approached me and my wife again and said they were bringing us champagne to our room because they had thought we were newly weds.

can never be to sure.

everything else was great.

15 min to 5th ave and lots to see and do there. prices are starting to get expensive but if you go to some of the shops off 5th ave you are sure to get great deals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Champ S
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you .
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,320)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We arrived here on November 9th for our wedding..booked a swim out room on the Sunset side. Enjoyed every minute of it. The wedding coordinator, the spa services, the staff, the service, the food, everything for our wedding week was incredible. The wedding went perfectly. I cant say enough about how great it was, thank you. However, for our second week from the 16th to the 23rd (yes, we are still here), we upgraded to a Platinum suite baed on the reviews from others but I still have yet to see the benefits. Our room is now on the Riviera side, not sure why we were put on the other side of the resort, the air conditioning doesnt work well, we cant use the balcony becuase of the smell at the location of our room, there is absolutely no view, we have only been given 1 washcloth. I did bring my concerns up to the concierge however was pretty much blown off. She said we could go on a waiting list (if theres a waiting list then obviously theres a problem) and the air conditioning still isnt working well, the smell in the room is almost unbearable, I wake up every morning with a sore throat. If I ever stay here again I would not pay the extra money for Platinum. It seems to me to be an older part of the resort, it is close to the beach which is nice. There is a sectioned off part of the beach for Platinum, however we go to the Adult section instead since its quicker to get a drink and not as busy. Disappointing end to our wedding vacation.

Room Tip: Book a Swim out suite...they are right close to the action, in the middle of the resort.
3 Thank Dawn F
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your review regarding your stay with us at Grand Sunset Princess
Since your feedback is of great importance to us, we would like to take the time to offer an apology for the impression that you had of the service of our hotel.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with our different services and facilities in your 2nd week staying with us. We are for sure looking into this situation as our staff is committed to high standard and personal service in order to ensure continued customer satisfaction.

We would like to inform you that our Public Relations Manager already received your comments and be assured that she will take action on the matter and you can go home satisfied.

Hopefully, we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future so you can experience the improvements in our facilities and services, which will be accomplished thanks to our guests’ feedbacks.

Best regards,
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

When I checked in and got to my room which was supposed to be a pool view (room 7006). It was a garden view and not what I had paid for. I told them I wanted a new room and they said they had no other rooms. But low and behold they did have a room with a pool for an additional $325. When I asked for a manager all of a suddon they didn't speak very good english. I tried to contact Orbitz who I booked this thru but they have no email to contact them about complaints. I will write a review every week until this is fixed by the hotel or by Orbitz. I did end up paying the $325. If they didn't have the room I booked why should I have to pay any extra due to their error. I know they read these reviews so watch for their "manager" to reply but offer no soultion.

4 Thank HighjinxPA
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Crommer
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
I Shared your review with our Front Desk Manager and baffles me your comments, because our staff at the front desk explained you that your reservation was for a Junior Suite Deluxe and not for a Junior Suite Deluxe Pool Access and that was explained with your confirmation paper and you understood this situation and asked for the upgrade, so I really regret that you returns to home with a bad impression from our hotel, if you need a better explanation please contact me at community.riviera@princess-hotels.com

Have a nice day!
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We just returned from a 10 night stay at the Grand Sunset Princess, and thought it was very nice.
The grounds are about the most beautiful of any resort that we have ever seen, but if there is any rain at all, the whole resort becomes an "ice skating rink"...the hallways, main walkways, rooms, bathrooms, restaurants, lobbys and stairs are all polished marble, and are very dangerous no matter how young or old or how in shape you are...if you don't pay attention, you're going down.
We thought that we would avoid the marble floors when it was wet, but all of the concrete sidewalks are nearly as slippery as the marble floors, so we walked very carefully everywhere we went while it was wet.

Now about the rest of the resort.
I read reviews saying that being in the Platinum section is a must...I disagree completely.
We had part of our group stay in a Platinum room, and part of our group stay in a Grand Yucatan room (adults only), and other than the swim out room in Grand Yucatan (swim out rooms are available to regular guests too) the bonuses you get for the price is NOT worth it.
We did the same activities, ate the same food, drank the same drinks and had the same entertainment as all the platinum people did...although the private area for the Laguna Villas guests looked amazing, and regular or Platinum guests are not allowed in there.

The food was good and there was always many choices of things to eat.
It's just like anywhere else in the world...figure out what you like and eat that. Taste here is definitely a matter of opinion.
I can't even count the number of bad reviews on here because people ate something they didn't like...EAT SOMETHING ELSE!!!

The beach is nice, but the vendors are blocking most of the view in front of the resort, so we just moved down...the vendors are obviously in cahoots with the resort (if not employed by it) their stands are built out of the little beach cabanas for Princess resorts, so that is a bit of a bummer.
I also read that some people said there was sewage either on or near the beach...this is not true. There is a lagoon in between the very end of the resort and the beach that has lots of standing water in it, and if you know anything about the climate in the Riviera Maya, standing water has a certain unpleasant smell.

We did find that although nice, this resort is too big. At least there is pretty landscaping and nice pools to look at for the long walk to the beach.
All in all, this place is very nice and well worth the money

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Monte M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit at Grand Sunset Princess and for your positive comments, this helps us to maintain and exceed our valued guest’s expectations.

Our entire staff strives to make your stay as pleasurable as possible, and they are always happy to hear positive feedback. We will be sure to pass on your comments to them.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Overall:
Good value but there are a LOT of negatives to consider.

Positives:
- Big, beautiful resort
- Plenty of pools and cabanas
- Huge Rooms. Clean and in great condition.
- Booze is INCLUDED.
- It would seem pretty good value for the money.
- Chairs on the beach.
- A bar on the beach.
- Most of the rooms have balconies and jacuzzis.
- Landscaping is good shape.

Negatives:
Food is very mediocre or bland. Johny Rockets at the Cancun Airport tasted like heaven after 1 week of blah food. Very disappointed.

Buffet - blah (2/5)
Dinner Choices:
Vaqeria - T-bone steak was good.
Las Olas - Edible.
Teppanyaki - Edible
Mamma Mia - Horrible

No hotel exclusive shuttle to the airport.
Why doesn't the hotel have its own aiport shuttle?
I had to pay an outside shuttle company that this hotel promotes (BD Travel) which stopped at 3 different hotels before getting to Princess.
It took 2 hours to get to the hotel. This is way too long after a long flight.
This really got on my nerves.

You have to show up at the lobby at 8 AM sharp to book the free shuttle to Playa del Carmen. You have to be there between 2 and 4 Pm to make dinner reservations for the next day. It's way too restrictive. Why do we have to follow so many rules while on being on a vacation?
Why can't we make the reservations any time via phone? This is absolutely non-sense. Hey, Princess Hotels, do you understand the concept of a vacation?
We want to relax and not worry about running back and forth to make reservations everyday!

Shuttle Service to Playa del Carmen was horrible.
The shuttles were never on time. We had to wait half hour while leaving the hotel and another half hour in a dark parking lot on our way back.

Very dark at night. There are no street lighting. The hotel went very cheap on saving electricity and it is obvious to all guests.

Internal resort shuttle is too infrequent / random.
Most of the restaurants are on the polar opposite of the beach, so you will need to use the internal shuttle a lot. Also, it rains a lot there.
No one is monitoring how frequent these shuttles are running. There were plenty of times we just started walking after a waiting a long period of time.

Wet, slippery hallways.
The frequent rain makes these hallways very dangerous. Why aren't they a little more protected from weather? Also 3 rooms on the ground floor got flooded.

Beach:
Not good for snorkeling. Pack water shoes because it has some sharp rocks if you veer out of the small area directly infront of the bridge.

House-keeping:
Where are the housekeepers? Our suite was cleaned just once during a 5 day stay.

Gift Shop:
The gift shop sells very ugly, overpriced junk. There are way better options out there. Some nights, they let outside vendors hold a mini fair. You will find way better stuff there.

To my fellow guests:
There is way too much tipping going on at the bars and the service quality is going down if the bartender does not expect an instant tip. Please stop over-tipping at all inclusive resorts!

Room Tip: Building 2. Early 2000's. This will get you infront of the pool and close to the lobby/restaura...
3 Thank Faisal Z
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for the time to write your review on TripAdvisor and convey you my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I take you comments in a very constructive way to improve our service daily.

Also I regret that our gastronomic offer did not meet your expectations; always we have received feedback from our guests remarking that at buffets there's always something to eat for everyone; We already shared your comments with the Executive Chef in order to look for improvement.

Regarding about the dinner reservation process, I would like to explain you that all our guests can make their reservations on a schedule from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm with one day in advance.
I would like to clarify that the shuttle runs every 15 mins from the lobby to the beach.
On the other hand, our hotel lays down certain rules to ensure the total satisfaction of all our guests. We regret if this situation affected your stay with us.

However we understand that each vacations and each experience is different and we respect your opinion, for this reason we will forward your comments to each department involve in order to refresh to our staff the quality of service that we are use to provide to our guests.

We would like to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future in order to have the opportunity to change the impression you have about our Hotel.

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

The staff members were very polite and generally very helpful. There are 10 a la carte restaurants, however not all of them were open whilst our stay. We ate at six restaurants and only two served excellent quality food (The Italian and Le Fleur) the quality of the other four restaurants did not meet the expectations of the standard of the hotel. The hotel provides cheap quality alcohol—however, if you want something better you would have to pay for it.
Wi-Fi + Internet service is not free there is a service is a charge of $20.00 US dollars per day or $70.00 per week (Internet Service quite slow). The hotels’ maintained is clean and organized, one should also take advantage of the shopping tour that the hotel offers to Playa del Carmen, an inexpensive way to leave the hotel grounds. The hotel is secure; the internal transportation system is good and not always on ‘Mexican time’
The beach is very sandy where one can enjoy swimming in the ocean without having to worry about the rocks. There is also a section that does have rocks, not an ideal swimming area, however still very beautiful.
I will for sure go back to this hotel- however; I will upgrade my package to Yucatan Platinum, due to the fact that it offers more amenities making your stay a luxurious vacation.

2 Thank MANGOVancouver
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed at this resort from Nov 2nd to Nov 12th. Joining us were our son, his wife and 15 year old daughter, plus our oldest daughter and husband. One hour after we arrived we walked to the beach since our granddaughter had never seen an ocean. It was very slippery and I fell and broke my pinky finger. We had not yet had a single thing to drink. So since we were gonna be there for 10 days and I didn't want to see a doctor in Mexico I taped my finger with the one next to it and had a great time.

We thought this resort was so beautiful. Actually plenty to do. The buffets were pretty standard for a resort. You could always find something to eat. We stayed in the Grand Yucatan section which is all adult and platinum. We had a swim out room and loved it. Our concierge booked the restaurants for all of our family for the whole time were there. Most of the restaurants were good except the seafood one. We didn't like it at all. The sports bar is open 24/7 so always something to eat, plus we had room service being platinum.

They had great bands playing out in the courtyard most nights so was very entertaining. We went to the disco a couple nights and it was always pretty packed. Our son and family went to Xplor and loved it.

Pretty much everything else has been said about this resort by everybody else. If you want a reasonable vacation to a beautiful, but LARGE resort, we highly recommend this one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jmayer
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Grand Sunset Princess, for you past holidays.

It is an honor for us, read that you had a memorable vacation, all our team works to creates memorable moments; is a pleasure to learn that they accomplished that goal during your stay.

It will be an honor to be able to welcome you back in the near future! Please contact our Public Relations Department in order to follow up with any petition you might have.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,575 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,439 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,995 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!