“Great Place to relax”

GreenLeadersSilver level
East Hampton, Connecticut, United States
“Great Place to relax”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The resort is beautiful and huge. My wife and I enjoyed the walking especially after eating and drinking so much it's kind of nice to go on a long walk to the beach. The walk in very impressive. A few helpful pointers for people going to the resort. Don't try and book a restaurant until you check in because they won't let you. I highly encourage you to book your restaurants right after you check in this will be a big weight off your shoulders. Most people think they can just walk into the restaurants this is not the case you need a reservation. My wife and i booked right away and were able to eat at a restaurant every night. Here is how we rated the food.
Buffet near lobby very good for breakfast and lunch. Service was amazing especially Jose. So attentive and really made you feel welcome.

Miso-Great food and entertainment at the hibachi.
La Hacienda- Great food order off the menu though
Grill- I can't remember the name but excellent food.
Mama Mia- If you can avoid this please do. Probably the worst Italian food I have ever had. I had the seafood pizza and my wife had ravioli it was terrible and so was the bread they served prior to the meal. It's just poor Italian but again it's free so we just dealt with it.

All the waiters were great.

Some people complained about the walk it's not bad and it's healthy to get out and walk.

The marble floors do get slick but they do leave out wet floor signs and it's common sense that floors get slippery when wet so just be careful

Very important my wife and i had an excursion delayed a day because the resort does not allow unauthorized vehicles on the resort. Concierge should have informed us of this and they did not and to be honest they did nothing about it. We got to go a day later so it wasn't a big deal.. Just keep in mind to ask questions before you leave the resort some transportation can only pic you up at the gate out front.

Everything from the pools to the beach were great. I think some of the complaints are a bit much. You can see the people walking around who complain there never happy anyway. Your on vacation make the best of it.
We loved our stay overall the resort and staff are amazing I would highly recommend this resort. Oh yeah the coaties are hilarious.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are not good if you have trouble with stairs. Elevators are not common.
7 Thank Tom C
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you invest in sharing this review with us and the TripAdvisor Readers.
Our guests´ feedback is truly appreciated, as it helps us to improve.

We are very happy to know that you had a great time in our hotel and that regardless the few issues you have detailed, your experience was positive and enjoyed your vacations.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,406)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an all-inclusive week at the Sunset Princess. We had a really good time. Everyone on the staff is really friendly and helpful. The resort is beautiful with gorgeous landscaping and plants everywhere, all very well maintained. Pools and the beach were lovely. We walked everywhere and nothing was too far for us. Had fun watching iguanas sunning themselves and coaties running in and out of the mangrove. The food and house drinks and wine were definitely sub par (too bad). We took an excursion to Chichen Itza one day and into Playa del Carmen on another day. We are more than likely to return.

4 Thank Ariesgal04
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you and your husband.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This Resort is HUGE and gorgeous. Our room was lovely and spacious and the staff were totally amazing. The swim up bar was so much fun as we met people from all over the world and had such a great time. The food was awesome. Plenty of different choices of restaurants, and all extremely good. Entertainment in the evenings, and I cannot say enough about the incredibly HAPPY staff all so pleased to be at your service. We were treated like royalty and we will definitely go back to this same resort. Thank you to all the staff, that helped make our trip unforgettable.

Room Tip: We liked the activity and chose the main floor close to the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sharon W
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your resent stay with us at Grand Sunset Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy their vacations in the Riviera Maya.

We are so glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you how we are improve our services.

Best Regards
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The resort is well maintained, very clean and the grounds are beautiful. Resort is too big. You have to take a trolley to get from the platinum suites (which is not far from the beach) to get to most restaurants and the main hotel lobby. Often you had to wait more than 20 minutes for a trolley that seats 12-15 riders. Occasionally a second trolley was piggybacked on to accommodate more riders. The food is typical resort. Definitely edible and some restaurants betters than others. Least favorite was the Mexican Restaurant (La Hacienda). This really surprised me since we were in Mexico and I had higher expectations. Not a lot of variety on the menus. You select from 2 or 3 entrees. So choices are very limited. Most alcoholic beverages tasted like Shirley Temples. You had to request double shots to taste liquor. Beach was nice but you definitely need water shoes for the water. When you book platinum you have a reserved area on the beach and you have a waiter/waitress to serve drinks. A nice little perk. The town of Playa del Carmen was delightful. I would consider staying at a beachfront resort in the future. Most staff at the resort are pleasant. A few go out of their way to please you. Overall we had a very nice time in spite of the weather. We arrived on September 9, 2013 and left on the 21st. Mostly rain and clouds. But we can't blame the resort for that. Would I stay there again? I am not sure. I think I would rather try something new. But that's just me. By the way they do put on entertainment nightly. No one told us about this when we arrived. They should give out a newsletter or something to incoming guests. There are a few signed posted on the grounds. But unless you go walking around the grounds you will not see the signs. We did see 2 shows - Grease and the Horror Show. Both were very entertaining - done with lip-sync. We enjoyed the cast and the music.

3 Thank whateveraz1
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

Regarding your comments about the opportunities to improve, without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice and I can assure that when you come back, we will surprise you.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Best Regards
Grand Riviera Princess
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was a really big resort, too big. I didnt like to take the trolly to get to all the dinners, We upgrated , were close to the beach, but could see nothing in our ground level room, that was upgraded. Beach was not great, fair only. The best part was going to playa del Carmen

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Hardy930
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choose Grand Sunset Princess for your holidays.
We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.
We do hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The reason I keep returning here are for the grounds, staff customer service and cleanliness.

I have been here 6 times previously and would never return to the Barcello resorts we visited..

We always stay here in Platinum and the staff are amazing . The first time was 2 weeks after their unfortunate accident. We took 7 family members with us and it was absolutely amazing. I have returned with my husband, daughter, grandchildren and friends.

I remember the time I went with my daughter and had Scotch and soda drinks at the Platinum pool. I returned with my husband 2 months later, ordered a Vodka and Soda and the server came out and said " the bartender said you drink Scotch and Soda".

One night we ate at Le Fleur and my watch clasp faulted and fell off. We returned 2 days later for dinner and Abraham, our waiter informed us he had found it and turned it into security.

The front desk is so accommodating.

I believe most of the negative reviews here are from miserable souls who are unhappy with life and want to pick at everything. Stay home and eat at McDonalds.

We are returning on October 30th...wanted a Platinum Suite but could only get Villa Laguna Suite. I paid the extra for it and will try to negotiate down to a Platinum. I am sure someone will be happy to be upgraded to Laguna room.

Thanks so much Princess...Lola Muma

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Lola M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sunset Princess.
It´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations with us.

Essex, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with my husband from 8th - 22nd September and it was fantastic.
The hotel is made up of two hotels (the sunset and the riveria) and don't believe the bad reviews as it is lovely.
The only problem we had the whole fortnight was the check-in as this took ages, but each check-in takes about 10 mins and they had 6 people on the desks so you just have to suck it up as they can't check in any more people as they only have room for 6 on the desks.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the adult only section which was lovely with a walk-in closet and a view of the pool, but went into every pool and to the beach, there was no problem getting a sunbed anywhere, and we stayed during mexican indepenance and the hotel was really busy.
I do recommend spending a day on the chill out beach ($14 per person)
All the staff are excellent, your glasses of water / beer during dinner was never empty and we found all the staff were friendly and all stopped work to say hello to us.
The grounds are fantastic and so beautiful and well maintained.
There are lots of animals round the resorts too which are great to spot, Coaties, Racoons, Iganias (excuse the spelling!) and they hotel staff have residents photographers who take your pictures and you don't have to buy them so give them a go, when else are you going to get your photo taken on the beach at sunset!
I do think some people just like complaining, My husband and I ended up laughing at the complaints some people had - I seriously heard one women complaining that she had two jacuzzis in her room, OH MY GOD 2 JAQUZZIS HOWEVER DID YOU SLEEP, another family complained that they only has one shower between 4 people!! I had only 1 shower growning up in a house of four and never complained (Guess you can't please everyone!)
The maid service does start early, but if you put the do not disturb on your door they will leave your room until you are ready.
All the resturants are scrummy and the drinks are great - recommend the MISO to eat and the Iceberg and Dirty Monkey drinks.
As the floors are marble they do get slippy so take shoes with a grip on them.

I can not recommend this hotel enough and am now saving to go back.

Room Tip: Buy the Mosquito wristband from the Reps as they do work
7 Thank Carley O
Dear guest,

I’m really happy to read your nice comments about your stay with us.
We really appreciate your objective review about our facilities, the service and our staff.
All the staff of our Resort feels so glad when we receive review as yours.
It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!