“7th time to return in the last 2 years”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #72 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“7th time to return in the last 2 years”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The reason I keep returning here are for the grounds, staff customer service and cleanliness.

I have been here 6 times previously and would never return to the Barcello resorts we visited..

We always stay here in Platinum and the staff are amazing . The first time was 2 weeks after their unfortunate accident. We took 7 family members with us and it was absolutely amazing. I have returned with my husband, daughter, grandchildren and friends.

I remember the time I went with my daughter and had Scotch and soda drinks at the Platinum pool. I returned with my husband 2 months later, ordered a Vodka and Soda and the server came out and said " the bartender said you drink Scotch and Soda".

One night we ate at Le Fleur and my watch clasp faulted and fell off. We returned 2 days later for dinner and Abraham, our waiter informed us he had found it and turned it into security.

The front desk is so accommodating.

I believe most of the negative reviews here are from miserable souls who are unhappy with life and want to pick at everything. Stay home and eat at McDonalds.

We are returning on October 30th...wanted a Platinum Suite but could only get Villa Laguna Suite. I paid the extra for it and will try to negotiate down to a Platinum. I am sure someone will be happy to be upgraded to Laguna room.

Thanks so much Princess...Lola Muma

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Lola M
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sunset Princess.
It´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations with us.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,426)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Essex, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with my husband from 8th - 22nd September and it was fantastic.
The hotel is made up of two hotels (the sunset and the riveria) and don't believe the bad reviews as it is lovely.
The only problem we had the whole fortnight was the check-in as this took ages, but each check-in takes about 10 mins and they had 6 people on the desks so you just have to suck it up as they can't check in any more people as they only have room for 6 on the desks.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the adult only section which was lovely with a walk-in closet and a view of the pool, but went into every pool and to the beach, there was no problem getting a sunbed anywhere, and we stayed during mexican indepenance and the hotel was really busy.
I do recommend spending a day on the chill out beach ($14 per person)
All the staff are excellent, your glasses of water / beer during dinner was never empty and we found all the staff were friendly and all stopped work to say hello to us.
The grounds are fantastic and so beautiful and well maintained.
There are lots of animals round the resorts too which are great to spot, Coaties, Racoons, Iganias (excuse the spelling!) and they hotel staff have residents photographers who take your pictures and you don't have to buy them so give them a go, when else are you going to get your photo taken on the beach at sunset!
I do think some people just like complaining, My husband and I ended up laughing at the complaints some people had - I seriously heard one women complaining that she had two jacuzzis in her room, OH MY GOD 2 JAQUZZIS HOWEVER DID YOU SLEEP, another family complained that they only has one shower between 4 people!! I had only 1 shower growning up in a house of four and never complained (Guess you can't please everyone!)
The maid service does start early, but if you put the do not disturb on your door they will leave your room until you are ready.
All the resturants are scrummy and the drinks are great - recommend the MISO to eat and the Iceberg and Dirty Monkey drinks.
As the floors are marble they do get slippy so take shoes with a grip on them.

I can not recommend this hotel enough and am now saving to go back.

Room Tip: Buy the Mosquito wristband from the Reps as they do work
7 Thank Carley O
Dear guest,

I’m really happy to read your nice comments about your stay with us.
We really appreciate your objective review about our facilities, the service and our staff.
All the staff of our Resort feels so glad when we receive review as yours.
It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Springfield, IL
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hubby and I are traveling for a relaxing get-away vacation. We booked a pool-room which is perfect. There are 7 steps going down into the 4' deep pool from the 12'x12' patio just outside our room.

Our king size bed is very comfortable. The maid comes everyday to keep the room clean and fresh. Also, the frig is restocked each day. We asked for 4 bottles of Diet Pepse and receive it each day. Our room is close to the lobby/restaurants rather than close to the beach - the perfect location for us. There are pillow choices to fit individual needs. We had maintenance issues with the clock radio and our safe - Personnel arrived immediately to fix them and they work fine now. Not all buildings have elevators so be sure to let the hotel know ahead of time if you have mobility issues.

The grounds are beautiful. Green plants, trees, flowers, and sculptures are everywhere. The view from either the garden view or pool view rooms are are both delightful.

The tram runs every 20 minutes then there is about a 3 block walk to the beach or restaurants. The distance from the main lobby to the beach is about 3/4 mile.
The Sunset and Riveria sides mirror each other and have their own lobby. There are about 1300 rooms total. Congratulations to the architechs for creating a cozy atmosphere throughout the property.

Playa del Carmen is closeby for shopping. The hotel has a free shuttle that runs to-from Playa or you can take a taxi for $40 round trip.

Pool activities, evening entertainment, restaurant music, a sports bar with lots of games and more are available free for guest enjoyment.

FLOORS ARE MARBLE AND ARE SLIPPERY WHEN WET. We read about this in other reviews and brought sturdy walking shoes with non-slilp soles. Please do the same to avoid a fall. We put a bath mat down in the shower area for tractioin while showering - that worked well.

Tipping: Tipping is appreciated but not required. We left $3 per day for the maid. $1 for refrigerator restocking and $3 for evening meals - nothing for breakfast or lunch.

Hotel shops have just about anything you might need - toiletries, gifts, swimwear, T-shirts etc. but are pricey. A bag of cheetos and fruit slices was $16. Pretty much, if you need something, it's here.

PLATINUM: Other reviewers have raved about the Platinum sections. We agree. If you can afford to upgrade to Platinum, DO IT. The concierge will take care of restaurant bookings and miscellaneous needs for you.

Hotel Guests: We're from the US. but there are many europeans, Canadians, other here as well. Best guess is about 40% US guest population. The hotel staff, maids and service folks speak fluent english for easy communication.

We're having a wonderful time and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Our room is 31013 in the Yukatan Platinum section - Riveria side - pool room. Bar is about 100 feet...
4 Thank ILGrammy60
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your latest visit with us and for providing the feedback. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
I am glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.
Laval, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It Was Raining Every Day Of Our Trip but The Resort Was Full Of
Activities The Staff Went Out Of Their way to Accomadate us and make our trip a memorable one
we stayed at the YUCUTAN SUITES lareg and clean everything was fully stocked daily
our maid MS BLOM went the extra mile everyday from the small touches her towel
STATUES she was more then a maid she was an artisy and very caring woman you saw she loved what she was doing and putting her heart into it she really made a big difference.
all the CONCIERGE wer nice but MS DELIA was the one who really went beyond the call of dutie she really went the extra mile to make our trip a special experience.
food no matter where you ate service was top notch and food was abundant including room service which was included inthe yucutan suites only this was worth the small extar price.
we would definately go back and recoomend this hotel to all our family and freinds.
good value for your vaction dollar.

Room Tip: Bring pesos or samll us bills as change can be difficult at times the yucutan suitesI we found wa...
1 Thank jimkrissly
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you invest in sharing this review with us and the TripAdvisor Travelers.
We are very happy to know that you had a great time in our hotel and despite the rainy days, your experience was positive and enjoyed your vacations.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

Mississauga, ON
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Not sure where all the negative reviews are coming from - we stayed a week at the beginning of May 2013 with another couple and thoroughly enjoyed it! It was our first visit here and to Mexico (although we have been at the Princess resort in Punta Cana 3 times and love it there).

Arrival:
It is about 45 minutes from the airport - a scenic, smooth drive. Check in took about 20 minutes, and we were offered a welcome cocktail (and beer) shortly after arrival. I tried to get an upgrade but the gentleman at the front desk indicated that the resort was full - I could come back tomorrow and ask again. However, seeing as we were located very close to the couple we were travelling with, we chose to stay in the original room.

Food:
As noted, you need to make reservations at 2 p.m. daily at an office behind the lobby bar. Get there early to avoid line-ups. We weren't able to get an a la carte for the first night, but were successful for every night thereafter. Obviously didn't always get choice of times - sometimes 6 or 630, sometime 830 - but it all worked out.

The teppanyaki was amazing - surprisingly large portions and very delicious food. Not many "tricks" by the chef but the food more than made up for the lack of show. The steakhouse was also a favourite - the T-bone steak was one of the best I've ever had. But, really, every one of the a la cartes were terrific. My only regret was that, on a couple of occasions, I was so full from lunch and snacking that I couldn't finish my dinner :(

The breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing. Bacon was only offered every other day, and on some days, it was less than appetizing. The sausages weren't that great, either, but the cubes of ham and hash browns were good. The lunch buffet was much better - excellent pasta station and hamburgers.

Went to the beach grill once and was disappointed - had to get 4 hamburgers to find 2 that were properly cooked. 2 were still pink inside. Be sure to check the burgers before eating them! Otherwise, they are very tasty. Unfortunately, there are no tables to eat on at the beach.

Went to the dinner buffet the first night and was surprised by both the quantity and quality of food there. The 24 hour snack bar in the sports bar is a great idea as well.

Alcohol/bars:
No premium liquor here. Shots are $5 each for even Crown Royal. I read the reviews beforehand and bought a 375ml bottle at the duty-free for $15. Disappointing that even Bailey's was not included, but they do offer an excellent local alternative (I wish I could remember the name of it).

Mixed drinks were pretty good - the Riviera Maya was the best of the bunch. Corona is on tap and is cold, although not with the same alcohol content as the bottled stuff.

Wine at the buffet/restaurants is pretty horrid (and I'm no wine snob). It tastes like good wine that has been watered down by half. The sparkling wine was better, though, and we had that often for dinner instead.

Beach:
Beach is great! Yes, as soon as you get there, you see the vendors; however, they hardly block the entire beach! Just move down a bit to the left, and you'll find plenty of unobstructed seating. Yes, the vendors will keep coming around to ask you for massages, etc., but just say no and they move along (until the next time). The water was clear at the time of our visit, but the recent reviews mentioning the dumping of sewage into the water are definitely troubling. I only wish there were bathrooms right on the beach.

Definitely get up early to reserve loungers at the beach (not as much of a problem at the party pool - got there at 8 am most days and still got shade).

Bars:
Service was pretty good. Tipping here and there was appreciated. Occasionally, by the party pool, a lady would come and take our orders - nice!

Pools:
The huge "party pool" was our favourite, with the requisite swim-up bar. Plenty of room to float around in in my inflatable raft. Sometimes had to wait a bit for a drink at the swim-up but it's to be expected with so many folks in there. My only complaint was the constant begging to pay to go to Coco Bongo's - we get it already :)

Room:
We had a junior suite which exceeded our expectations. Fridge stocked daily - put $1 in the fridge and you get extra brews. Tipped the maid daily and was rewarded with towel art. Bathroom and shower are huge! Air conditioning was strong. Room was more than large enough for our needs. Quite a few channels on the TV (even got to watch one of the Leafs playoff games before dinner).

As previous reviews state, there is no alarm clock or Kleenex in the room. We brought our own alarm clock, but the maid would remove the card that would keep the power going each time she left - the constant power on/off eventually cooked the alarm clock.

Bed is hard but extremely comfortable - no trouble sleeping at night.

Resort size:
I am astonished by the number of reviews trashing the size of the resort. It is a leisurely 10 minute walk from top to bottom (lobby to beach). I enjoyed the walking, as there is so much to see along the way, and never used the train.

Admittedly, it took us a day or so to figure out where all the restaurants/pools are on the resort, even with a map.

Evening shows:
We only took in one show, which we found pretty boring, so we left a few minutes into it. The theatre was also ice cold.

5th Avenue:
There is a shuttle to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen that you have to reserve at 8 am in the Riviera lobby next door. You get to go at 10 or 12 the following day, and come back at 5 p.m. If you want to come back earlier, it's $4 per person. 5th Avenue is well worth visiting for souvenirs or a unique dining experience. Souvenirs are much cheaper than the airport (or shops at the resort), and you'll have a much better selection. Many of the restaurants have Wi-Fi for staying in touch back home.

Which reminds me...c'mon, GSP, give us some free Wi-Fi, even if only in the lobby!

Overall, had an incredible time, and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ThirstyBeachlover
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
Without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improved all the observations that you did.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We just came back from GSP weather was not so great but the service and crew made up for it. The only problem we had was we got there early thinking we can just check in and start our day but we had to wait until 3 PM to check in. It is not the resort fault as this is their routine and we were not the only ones, everyone had to wait. This is something that the travel agent should have informed us. To be honest i think if the weather was nice and it was not raining it wouldn't have matter (at least not to me). Having said, credit should be given when it is deserved. we were able to use all the services until the check in time.
The only thing that we did not like about the resort was, because it was raining the pathway to the pool, beach, restaurant.... is extremely slippery. walking to the beach or the pool side after rain, it made it hard. So make sure you take different sandals beside flip-flop or water shoes.
Guests leave comments based on their experience during their stay. What we all tend to forget there is always high and low season. Pricing changes depending what time of the year we travel and there is reason for that. quality of food also changes during that time. if i want to have everything flawless and perfect i must pay prime dollars to get it. i must say service and staff does not change during that time. i know if i go during prime time i probably have to pay double the price.
Overall experience for us was excellent. restaurant staff are externally hard working and friendly.

4 Thank Payman N
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor Travelers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.
We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and two other couples stayed and this resort two years ago and are returning this March for ten days. We have stayed at many different resort's over the past ten years and we all agree that this one of the best. From the rooms to staff and the food, you feel like your a King and Queen. When people complain about the most ridiculous things I can't understand what they expect. The staff from the ground keepers to the maids, bar staff to Management are so friendly and pleasing to your needs that you almost feel bad. So when I read some of the negative reviews, I just had to write and let people that my be considering going don't take the ridiculous negative reviews into consideration. Try this resort you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank nursingshark
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at Grand Sunset Princess.

One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have an unforgettable experience to share with their family and friends and it seems to me that we meet your overall expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!