“The good and the bad”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a lovely and LARGE resort. The staff are tirelessly working to keep the grounds spotless. Some people had concerns about the size of the resort…
Size
- it is huge, if you don't mind long strolls then by all means walk the whole property
- there is a trolley that comes around every 15min and runs along the perimeter of the property
- the size itself wasn't an issue for us
- my issue was the convoluted layout. Walking the property wouldn't have been so frustrating if you could easily navigate from one place to another
- due to placement of buildings, pools etc there doesn't seem to be any straight forward way of getting from one place to another other than walking the perimeter.
- Due to the size of this property there were TONS of people around
- there was always activity going on which was cool but if you prefer a more intimate atmosphere this is not the resort for that
- buffet food is standard, ok not fabulous
- for breakfast and lunch we preferred the cold items to hot at the buffet.
- beach bbq was good, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips/salsa/guac and ocassionallly paella
- a la cartes have limited menu choices but are by far the best food on the resort
- we liked Mamma Mia and Le Fleur the best, Las Olas was okay & we were not fans of Miso
- while there was nothing wrong with the taste of the 'sushi' it was not sushi by our standards (rice was too thick, & little to no fish to speak of)
- in general other than the ice cream and occasional pastry the desserts are not great
Staff
- amazing
- so friendly, very helpful
- we stayed in the platinum area and the waitress for the lounge/pool area was phenomenal (sadly do not recall her name)
- we LOVED Yara the platinum beach waitress. Never saw her write a single thing down but always got the drinks right, often brought us two at a time without being asked so we wouldn't have to wait long
- carried two stacked trays at a time never once faltering even walking in the sand
- I personally did not like the attitude of one hostess in particular the night we dined at Mamma Mia. Carolina was not friendly and observing her body language etc for a long period of time while we waited (Dad attempted to get in with shorts on, a no no. He had to go back to the room and change) she seemed disinterested in her job as well as rude.
Rooms
- gorgeous rooms
- fabulous a/c, every time I left my room my glasses fogged because of the temp diff from my room to hallways
-some people in my party had problems with bar fridges not being cold (mine was excellent) but they called & someone fixed it immediately
- the jacuzzi tub in my washroom was large enough to swim in. It was the most relaxing bathtub I have ever been in and I am not a bath person
- They provide incense which was a neat little bonus
- the beds are FIRM, which I like but some people may not
Resort Overall
- like I mentioned I was not happy with the layout of the resort
- we were in the Platinum section which understandably was secluded from the rest of the resort which made for navigating from other places difficult, as I often felt like I was walking around the whole of an entire building when I should have been able to cut right through
- it had its own quiet pool area, which was lovely
- the platinum beach area which is roped off is not near the platinum rooms, or if you are in the Yucatan Platinum Adult only section then it is near (as they are on the opposite side of the resort)
- If I were an adult only guest (sadly I was not) I would have thought that this title was a misnomer because there were kids EVERYWHERE. I cannot see how they could have been avoided despite staying in an 'adult only' section. I do not think there were any specific al la carts that were adult only
- Book your a la carts because despite the dining areas never looking terribly full we did have trouble near the end of our week getting a booking where we wanted
Misc.
- yes the floors are slippery, they are marble, that is to be expected, proceed with caution
- the cats, are adorable and despite being thin look taken care of, healthy coats, no marks normally associated with wild or feral cats.
- they never bothered us and seemed quite friendly
- I suspected that they were kept around as mousers or to control bird population
- Coaties hung around beach bbq, seemed harmless but bold little guys. Saw one jump on a lounger and put its paws on the table to see what he could get
- I was there for a week and spent time at beach, platinum pool and main lobby area and always had the feeling I was only seeing maybe 65% of the resort, it's massive
- sports bar always seemed full (food in there was sad looking, boiled hot dogs etc)
- don't hang around the laguna by the main lobby at night, many many mosquitos
- there is or is not a crocodile by the Chill Out lounge, we could not determine if it was fake or not
- The Chill Out area seemed nice but we only walked through it once to get to the beach as it is not included in the all inclusive (found that very odd)
- the beach is gorgeous but most of the loungers have an obstructed view of the the water as there are many many vendors huts in front of them.
- 'oceanview' is also a misnomer there is a heavily 'wooded' green area that separates the resort grounds from the beach area
- I was on the second floor in the building most 'adjacent' to the water & did not see much ocean at all
- Overall there are many pluses as well as minuses but sit back, relax, order an electric mango and enjoy the amazing weather, service & gorgeous lush grounds

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Becca G
There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My fiancé and I just returned from our vacation at the Grand Sunset Princess resort and we were enormously satisfied with our stay. The resort is very well manicured and clean. Our experience with all of the staff was tremendous! Our housecleaning staff was superb, cleaning every inch of our room and balcony daily. I had previously read reviews that the food was not very impressive and we both agree that this was so far from the truth. The buffet provided a large variety of different types of food, as well as the Sport's Bar which we LOVED for a quick snack. They provided hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, and grilled sandwiches that were made to order as well as fresh cut tortilla chips with guacamole and salsa, made fresh regularly. The a la carte restaurants at the resort were by far the very best that we have tried at any resort in Mexico and the Chill Out Restaurant was AMAZING. In addition, the portion sizes were unbelievable and the view and experience were second to none. We had zero issue reserving an a la carte and the wait was minimal if at all. We also enjoyed a couple's massage while there and it was surprisingly affordable. We loved the pools and proximity from any pool to the washrooms and bars. Nothing was too far away. The beach was a bit of a walk from our room but nothing compared to some resorts we have been to! The few minute walk was enjoyable and provided some much needed exercise after all the food and drink we indulged in! The one complaint my fiancé and I shared was that there were vendors at the beach which blocked some of the beautiful view, and if you did not have a platinum bracelet, which we didn't, that allowed access to a private section of the beach, you had to get down there fairly early to grab a spot! They filled up fast!! As well, the time of year we went and the amount of rain they had prior to our arrival meant there were A LOT of mosquitoes!! We brought repellent and After Bite which was a MUST. As well we did see two cockroaches over the duration of our stay (not in our room but on the grounds) but my fiancé and I do not hold the resort responsible for this. Cockroaches are abundant in Mexico, as they are in many other parts of the world. They can no more control the insects/pests there as we can in our part of the world, and we saw them on numerous occasions spraying for mosquitoes etc. All in all we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return to this resort as well as recommend it to friends and family!!

Room Tip: We have absolutely no complaints about our room which was a Junior Suite but we loved the swim-up ro...
3  Thank Bret D
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel.
We appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding the a la carte Restaurants and especially we are happy to hear that our staff overcame your expectations.

Your wonderful words are the best compliments for us. Please rest assured that we will extend your compliments to the entire staff.

It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Sunset Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I gave this location a poor rating because of the INCONSISTENT SERVICE, QUESTIONABLE MYSTERY FOOD & FAKE ALCOHOL and not necessarily because of the grounds. The grounds are beautiful but the aforementioned wasn't what one would expect for an all-inclusive stay.

Best part of my stay was my friend's wedding, the moon at night on the beach and the company of our group!

Oh man! Where do I begin? I will preface by saying, this place is NOT worth the money UNLESS, you are upgraded to PLATINUM STATUS. Depending on the color of your skin and the color of your bracelet provided by the hotel, that will determine what type of service you will receive. Since you can't change your skin color, just pay for the upgrade. Classism and racism is alive and well...I'm just putting it out there.

They gave our parties original room away because we were late to check in due to travel delays. Some things are out of a travelers control and FABIOLA at the front desk was RUDE, NOT EMPATHETIC and DISMISSIVE.

The Restaurants/ Buffet/ Sports Bar:
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT make reservations at Miso and Chill Out on the compound (that's what it felt like). The food was AWFUL and questionable. I don't eat meat but, the burgers I saw looked like processed fake meat patties. The Buffet is...hmmmm, let's just say, I ate omelets and fruit every morning and SALADS for lunch.

The DRINKS:
I had a couple of the alcoholic drinks but I never got a buzz and they tasted funny! I stopped drinking after the first day and a half of the trip! I understand why the hotel wouldn't want to serve the good stuff because they could be held liable if any silly drunk person were to get hurt or hurt others. Maybe I missed the fine print and didn't read the part where the drinks are really NON ALCOHOLIC beverages.

The Rooms/Cleaning service:
HA HA HA HA...The decor is nice enough BUT, the room smelled of mildew and the bathroom floor was ALWAYS WET. The maid half way cleaned our room, barely made our bed and got an attitude because, one day we didn't want our room cleaned as we were getting ready for a wedding!!! Our last day, the sheets were changed but the pillow cases smelled like feet! Yup, I said it! I would have left a tip but the maid was not nice and had a scowl on her face whenever she saw us.

Be prepared to do A LOT of WALKING depending on where your room is located. The compound is BIG and the beach is FAR.

I was excited for my friends wedding which was well done BUT, I would NOT recommend this resort, nor would I go back. I'm sure GSP wouldn't miss me either. It's not personal, it's BUSINESS!

Room Tip: Upgrade to platinum status= better service
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank TwoDimples

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us and Tripadvisor’s Travelers.
We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

We have reviewed your comments and can assure you that we take them very seriously. Our guests' feedback is truly appreciated, as it helps us to improve.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Let me start by saying I spent six months reading reviews nonstop. I was pretty close to panicked after reading some of the horror stories people shared. My husband and I just got back from a week spent at this resort and I felt it necessary to share my review since so many are extreme.

As many people have said, the property is beautiful. There is no question that the grounds are perfect. It is a large resort but that didn't bother us at all. There are shuttles on the sides of the resort that you can hop on if necessary and they run every ten to fifteen minutes.

I highly recommend that you reserve a platinum. The difference is huge. We made a lot of use out of the personal concierge, the private lounge with food and drinks, the personal pool, the private area on the beach, etc. all of these extras truly added to our time there. Thank you to Carlos who was our sub concierge the first day! He truly spoiled us.

The room was very nice and we had no problems with security. It was cleaned every day and we had the fun towel creatures that made me laugh. Platinum rooms are very close to the beach as well.

Okay, the comments about a lot of drunk people are unfortunately correct. One of the drawbacks to an all inclusive is drinks are flowing continually. For the most part you can avoid this scene. There is a designated party pool and we stayed far away from it. The few times we walked by it looked like spring break and it couldn't have been further from what we wanted on our vacation. There are lots of other pools and we spent most of ours at the platinum private pool.

The food is the biggest downfall to this resort. Let me start by saying you won't starve, it isn't that bad. However it is lacking. The buffets offer a ton of things but it gets old quickly. The restaurants are better, but again I'd only rate the food about a 7. My husband struggled with the food more than I did. If they could fix this issue they would have one heck of a resort.

Let me end by talking about my favorite part, the workers. Never have I seen such hard working friendly people. Every day we talked to the waiters, the waitresses, the concierge, the maids, the barren, etc. every one was super friendly and willing to do anything to mark our time positive. I was blown away at their work ethic and their positive nature.

Overall, we had a nice week.

Room Tip: Go platinum! It is SO worth it.
6  Thank littlelanni
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you invest in sharing this honest review with us and the TripAdvisor Travelers.

We are very happy to know that you had a great time in our hotel and that regardless the few issues you have detailed, your experience was positive and enjoyed your vacations.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a Awesome time. Was nervous read a couple of not so good reviews. But had a blast! There is not one thing I can complain about. Food and Drinks are Phenomenal. Had a different resort booked, glad I switched and went with this one. Staff is Excellent.

Room Tip: Get the room with the pool attached

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful experience visiting at Grand Sunset Princess.
We are happy to know that you qualify our Staff as “Excellent”.
All the staff of our Hotel feels so glad when we receive review as yours.

The Guest’s feedback is very important for us, because is the only way to know that we are doing well our job.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the superb service for which we are known.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are travel agent and we spent 7 days at this resort with a group of friends. The staff are very friendly and polite, the buffets are OK but a la carte restaurants are not good as others resorts.
Personal at the reception are not friendly and cool, specially for man staffs. We arrived at noon and have to wait till 4PM to get the rooms for our group. Just before the trip, I had an accident and walk with the crutches. I requested to have a wheel chair but at concierge they want me to rent one as no wheel chair available, concierge are not helpful at all!
I travel to Riviera Maya each year and this one, the beach are the worse compared to other location in Riviera Maya. Just a day before departure, for an unknown reason, my room card did not work so friend of me went to the lobby to change to new card and new card is good only till midnight only, next day I complaint at the reception but they don't even care to explain why, even they know that I check out the next day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We read carefully your review and the information you kindly submitted to us and i personally have sent them to the Management of the hotel.
We are willing to take action towards the issues presented and improve the services where required.
We are sorry to hear we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Princess for one week in a Junior Deluxe Suite. It was absolutely lovely. The staff were very polite and helpful and the room opened out unto a pool which was a unique feature. The hotel was easy to find and Playa del Carmen was a convenient location for exploring Tulum to the south, Chichen Itza and Cancun.

My only 2 criticisms-
1. The food- for some reason, much of the buffett food was too salty- to the point where it was inedible. This happened on 2 nights until we learned which dishes to avoid. That said, the restaurant meals were excellent- no complaints.
2. No wifi in the rooms or the lobby. You could pay to use the internet at the sports bar, but the was ridiculously overpriced. We ended up seeking out a restaurant in Tulum that had free wifi.

• Stayed: June 2013
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
Allow me tell you that we are working so hard about your comments to improve our service every day and our customers return home fully satisfied.

Without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.
We hope that you will be able to visit us again and enjoy our Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!