My husband and I stayed at this resort in 2010 prior to the explosion that killed 5 Canadians on the connected mirror-image resort the Grand Riviera Princess. I only say this because the buildings would have been built together by the same people and you might want to look into how they resolved any issues following the explosion.
The resort itself is beautiful. The grounds were impeccably kept. We stayed in one of the private villas surrounding the lagoon area. The villa was very nice though showing some wear and tear. The outdoor stone shower was magnificent. Nice jetted bath, good air conditioner, pretty view of the lagoon.
The beach was pretty but rocky - definitely bring water shoes. You can pop into Playa Del Carmen though for a nice soft-bottomed bustling beach but its not as clean.
House keeping staff, private concierges for the villas were fantastic as were many of the bartenders. These people work incredibly long hours and really hard so I felt a lot of pressure to tip extra well. This feeling is perpetuated from the moment you board the shuttle from the airport and you are reminded that people survive on your tips and don't make a decent wage. If you are travelling to Mexico, plan for lots of tipping.
On the less positive side, food was mediocre, room service was terrible and some of the front desk staff were rude, unhelpful and in one case creepy. At the time, when you stayed in the villa area one of your dinners could be had at an exclusive area of the resort and you also had access to the private beach in front of that restaurant. Sadly, the staff in that area were incredibly rude and the dinner and service were really bad. Nonetheless, the view at that dinner was beautiful, outdoor, overlooking the ocean.
We did the excursion to Xel ha which was touristy but pretty snorkeling. Lots of trips to Playa and did the ferry to Cozumel which was fun. Decent cab rides...only one creepy driver. The included spa massage was so so and the staff at the spa was unwelcoming at best.
All in all a decent holiday.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico