“Ups and Downs” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Ups and Downs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort in 2010 prior to the explosion that killed 5 Canadians on the connected mirror-image resort the Grand Riviera Princess. I only say this because the buildings would have been built together by the same people and you might want to look into how they resolved any issues following the explosion.

The resort itself is beautiful. The grounds were impeccably kept. We stayed in one of the private villas surrounding the lagoon area. The villa was very nice though showing some wear and tear. The outdoor stone shower was magnificent. Nice jetted bath, good air conditioner, pretty view of the lagoon.

The beach was pretty but rocky - definitely bring water shoes. You can pop into Playa Del Carmen though for a nice soft-bottomed bustling beach but its not as clean.

House keeping staff, private concierges for the villas were fantastic as were many of the bartenders. These people work incredibly long hours and really hard so I felt a lot of pressure to tip extra well. This feeling is perpetuated from the moment you board the shuttle from the airport and you are reminded that people survive on your tips and don't make a decent wage. If you are travelling to Mexico, plan for lots of tipping.

On the less positive side, food was mediocre, room service was terrible and some of the front desk staff were rude, unhelpful and in one case creepy. At the time, when you stayed in the villa area one of your dinners could be had at an exclusive area of the resort and you also had access to the private beach in front of that restaurant. Sadly, the staff in that area were incredibly rude and the dinner and service were really bad. Nonetheless, the view at that dinner was beautiful, outdoor, overlooking the ocean.

We did the excursion to Xel ha which was touristy but pretty snorkeling. Lots of trips to Playa and did the ferry to Cozumel which was fun. Decent cab rides...only one creepy driver. The included spa massage was so so and the staff at the spa was unwelcoming at best.

All in all a decent holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeeSchneider
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for share a review of your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess and for all your comments.
We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

I assure you all your comments concerning to our workforce have been passed to the manager to take action on the matter and never happens again.
Please accept our apologies for this irregular situation

However i am happy to know that there are elements that made your stay enjoyable like our amazing beach and the service provided by our concierges and bartenders. They will be so glad to know that their job was grateful.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

If I was a movie star paying $25000 a week at a resort, then I would expect everything to be perfect. I would probaly even write a review in trip advisor complaining about some of the petty stuff people moan about when they write about this resort.The truth is, I am no a movie star and I --along with most of the people stay at this resort, don't pay a fraction of the money I mentioned. However, when my wife and I stayed here, the staff everywhere were so polite and helpful, we felt like movie stars.
The grounds were well maintained, there was always something to eat in the buffets, the a la carte restaurants were good, and the service impeccable.
This was our 3rd trip here, and we would highly recommend it.

After being spoiled all week ("Dos cerveza, quattro rum and cokes par favor) at no charge We were brought back to earth at the airport in Cancun.A small salad,a hotdog and a can of pop was nearly $20 U.S . Now THAT is worth complaining about in a review.
Just remember, you are not paying Movie star prices but the staff made my wife and I fell like one

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Barrieboy763
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and for having taken your time to share them with the TripAdvisor Travelers.

Our staff members are so glad to know that their efforts have been recognized, thank you for highlighting the high service that you received during your stay.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed at this hotel in September 2011.
I was nervous after booking & then later reading that the sister hotel that share's the Princess' grounds was the hotel with the gas explosion but we luckily did not have any problems. While we were there they were still repairing some of the damages to that side & there was an area that was caution-taped off.

HOTEL
Gorgeous! The hotel wowed us at every turn, you could see they pay attention to details here.
Marble every where, walk ways that connected the majority of the hotel so that if it was raining you could get around easily while covered.
The outdoor paths were really nice as well, beautiful landscaping & statues.
The evening entertainment was excellent, especially the Cirque-like one where they had ladies doing ribbons from an area of the hotel.
I liked that they had a marketplace that came to the hotel once a week so that guests that didn't want to venture off the resort could still buy souvenirs.
The staff was polite & always said Hola. Someone is always cleaning.

CLUBS
We did go to the disco a couple times at the hotel. It's was good because they changed it up. One night was Oldies with the music video's playing on the screen & another night was top 40's. I liked that they catered to every age group.

We went to Coco Bongo one night which was arranged by a representative at the party pool. I'm glad we went as it was a lot of fun even though the place was packed. The bus picked us up at the hotel & then dropped us right by Coco Bongo. The representative came with us to ensure we got in smoothly & in case we had questions. They told us to meet back at the bus at the designated time so that it could take us back. Some people left earlier than others & took taxis back instead. DO go to the taco place across the street. DELICIOUS!

POOLS
There were so many to choose from!
We usually hit up the party pool once a day to hang out with the friends we met on vacation. The music was good at the party pool & the activities were a lot of fun; we liked sitting at the swim up bar there or along the edge of the pool.
Sometimes they would do a fashion show with the clothing from the hotel shops.

ROOM
Clean! The maid did a great job cleaning our room & left us towel animals every day.
Beds were very comfortable, our mini-bar was restocked daily, they gave us a complimentary bottle of rum in our room. We used our safe for valuables but nothing personal in our room was ever touched. We slept great & the room was completely dark when the black-out curtains were used.

FOOD
You could always find something to eat during breakfast, lunch & dinner at the Buffet. There was no limit to how many a la cartes you could book for dinner.
The service at the a la cartes was wonderful! Truly 5 star service.
The Asian restaurant was okay, they put tons of butter in everything which made it a bit too salty for me.
There's a Beach Bar that serves food around lunch that was convenient.
The sports bar is open 24 hours and was good for late nights after the disco.

Overall I thought the food was excellent for an all inclusive.

BEACH
The beach is beautiful! There was the convenience of the beach bar which had drinks & snacks & the lovely sand & turquoise waters. There is an area where the view is taken up by booths but this didn't bother us.

We got an excellent massage on the beach, SO worth it!

OTHER
Weather was great even though it was rainy season.

We did go into town to get souvenirs (bargain for better prices) & have dinner.
The traditional Mexican dinner was THE BEST food I had all vacation, I wish I remembered the restaurant name as I would definitely recommend it. Food wasn't very pricey.
The town felt fairly safe as we stayed in the tourist area & there were police everywhere

I would not hesitate to go back, this resort made me fall in love with Mexico!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarraC
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us and TripAdvisor’s Readers.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Best Regards
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am not going to trash this place as it really is a gorgeous place. The grounds, building, floor, walls and rooms are top notch, just overall I cannot give this place a 5 rating.

The food was mediocre, although the Asian ala carte was really good. The buffets really had no taste although I felt there was enough selection.

The beach was nice, vendors not a real issue. The snack bar on the beach was a plus, although lines can get rather long. The bar on the beach too was nice, but again the lineups were annoying. Maybe another bar towards the southern end?
The beach had a few rocks, nothing to complain about however.

The lobby is open air, I prefer closed air conditioning, especially after a hot day at the pool or beach. The service is pretty good there also, they treat you well.

The rooms are spacious. I was on the bottom floor and got eaten alive with mosquitos. Call front desk, they will spray. It helps a bit but I think when the maids clean your room a lot get in then, cant be helped I guess.

The service overall was pretty good, we are used to more exceptional service at the resort we normally go to. This year it was priced way too high so we opted for the GSP. We normally go to Hotel Marina El Cid about 12 miles north of GSP, we missed it badly this year. I have no regrets however, pretty much knew that when we booked the trip.

Anyway, any questions please message me, I am always willing to help with questions and concerns.
See you next year Ricardo and staff! ; )

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brampton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We are returning in July after having just left in April. No matter where else we go, and we travel a lot, we always come back here. From check-in at the front desk throughout our entire stay we are treated wonderfully. Staff are terrific, grounds are breathtaking, rooms and house staff exceptional, concierge always helpful, food very good & plentiful. We love to walk so the grounds here are a bonus. After we walk the grounds we walk on this gorgeous beach. We've recommended this resort to all our friends. Not one has come back with anything but positive to say. As matter of fact, my daughters friends went in February and are there again as I write this. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Platinum, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Wendy K
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choose our resort! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted that you underlined your satisfaction about our delicious food and the service of our staff; it is good to know that you enjoyed your stay previously.

Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more and improve ourselves every day.
We will be delighted to welcome you back on July; please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

lancashire uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked the Grand Sunset Princess to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, and in retrospect I wish we had read the room specifications in detail before booking this resort. We mentioned on booking that this was a special holiday celebration for us and were advised to book the basic junior suite as we probably wouldn't be in our room too much. Our allocated room was very nice, very clean,but only had a shower and no bath. We informed reception immediately that we would much prefer a room with a bath and were told to see Yessica on reception the following morning. On enquiring the following morning we were told that all junior suite rooms only had showers and we would have to upgrade to a Junior Suite Deluxe in order to get a room with a bath. We ended up having to pay an extra $500 to get a suitable room. At the time we decided to pay up rather than have our holiday spoilt by the lack of proper bathing facilities. The new room was very nice , pretty much the same as the first one with the bathroom having the addition of a jacuzzi bath. The view from the balcony was sunny in the late afternoon, but was overlooking scrubland at the side of the hotel.Not a pretty sight ! Also we were on the second floor, so that meant every time we needed to return to our room there were 36 steps to climb.So we tried very hard not to return to our our room too often! We only found 6 Elevators in the whole resort, which for a resort this huge made it unsuitable for the slightly less mobile.

It was a really beautiful resort, very well maintained, amazing swimming pools and manicured grounds, but far too large and noisy. The staff worked very hard, always with a smile on their faces, but it did not have the personal touch because of it's size. The beach was very disappointing, very regimented with rows of sunbeds that couldn't be moved to get a bit of space, and spoilt completely by vendors huts and massage beds as soon as you crossed the bridge on to the beach area.

Also be aware that the palapas around the pools get snapped up very quickly in the morning, and even if you are sat under one, people will come and push their sun beds into your space. It happened to us three or four times, and made us feel quite uncomfortable.

The food was pretty much standard fayre for this type of resort, we usually found something reasonable to eat and the restaurant staff were all very helpful. The entertaining was lacking local flavour, with a mexican night once a week ( with local traders in the square) and a Mariachi band. The rest of the evenings were either a rock group , a D J, or an easy listening trio.

We did enjoy our trip on the whole,as we are quite easy going and not complainers, but we have no plans to return to this area again and will probably go back to the Dominican Republic next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rubytuesday78
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your resent stay with us at Grand Sunset Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy your vacations in the Riviera Maya.

We are really sorry about the few issues that occurred during your stay and as we mentioned before the most important part for us is to make our guest feel home from home.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm not sure why people are so negative about this place.

We spent 5 days at this resort in April 2013. We went down to check it out as we have our wedding booked here in January 2014 - and boy we are sure glad we did! If we hadn't gone down I would be very worried about bringing a group to this resort because of the negative reviews on here. Here is what we found at this place:

1st off this resort is beautiful. The grounds are amazing, kept very clean and everything is very well kept. Yes it's big and you have to walk to the beach, however there is a train that will pick you and drive you there if you don't want to walk. Really unless you are in a hut on the beach in Fiji no matter where you stay there will be a walk to the beach. I enjoyed the walk there, helped me work off all of the great food and drinks we had.

2nd the rooms are great. We stayed on the Yucatan Platinum over 18 side. It was amazing. For our wedding we won't be on the over 18 side as there are some children in our group - but we have upgraded all of our guests to the regular Platinum suites as we think it will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone. Rooms were always cleaned and I loved the huge balcony we had. We also had a jacuzzi tub that was great.

3rd the staff are great. Everyone we encountered was friendly and always tried to help us as best they could. Always great service at the buffets, reception, or anywhere we went really. Compared to the customer service we get here in Canada - these people went above and beyond to help which was a very nice change.

4th our wedding coordinator Jackie was AMAZING. She took the time out of her very busy day to meet with us and explain things in person - which is so much better than reading it an email or trying to talk on the phone. She has always been great at getting back to us with emails and it was nice to meet her and see exactly what our wedding will look like. She was very accommodating and had some great ideas to help us with our planning.

5th the food. I had no problem with the food here - but I love most food. The buffet's always have lots of selection and if something is cold or not fresh just ask and they will get you something fresh and hot. I do agree that the buffet's get a little boring but that's just how it is at an all inclusive, if I didn't want an omelet and bacon for breakfast for the 4th day in a row I had cereal and fruit. There are tons of choices. We also ate at 3 of the ala cartes, the Seafood, Italian and Mexican. We thought the Italian was the best of all of them. However the other 2 were great as well. We had great server's and a great experience at these restaurants.

All in all this was a great trip and I would recommend this resort to anyone. If you have children they have a kids club, if you are single there's always something happening at the pools or on the beach that you can join, or if you are a couple wanting some alone time you can do that here too.

We can't wait to go back for our wedding and bring our family and friends to experience this great place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MeowMix_13
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with your family and friends.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays and your wedding.
We'll be waiting for that special day to serve you as our guests deserve.

Best Regards
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,356 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!