“The Mosquitoes Situation!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We visited the Grand Sunset Princess from April 30 to May 10, 2008. The resort, food and people were great. Now, the room, I am going to give you the real information on the mosquito issue. I read every review for this hotel and I thought people were exaggerating about the mosquitoes. I did think there was an issue because the Hotel provided wipes and cans of Raid (upon request). And usually a hotel doesn’t provide anything unless it is necessary. So I took OFF, insect repellant and mosquito netting for the crib and stroller just in case. First let me qualify, there ARE rooms with no mosquitoes. Then there are rooms with a few mosquitoes. Finally, there are rooms that are infested. Guess which one I had. It was a swim up room #2037. After 5 days killing around 50 mosquitoes per day, I had had enough. I asked to be moved. By this time the hotel was near capacity and we were told “no”. I would have complained sooner but I was told that #1. The hotel was built on a mangrove so that is why there are so many. #2. They will come and spray your room and you will be fine. #3. The mosquitoes were coming from the standing water all around the resort and from the fountains that were off. #4. They would fly in when the cleaning staff would clean your room with the doors open. All Wrong! There were too many, a constant flow of mosquitoes. Our friend got the idea to take his crib netting and put it over the low vent behind the bathroom’s sliding door. He told us that it had caught some mosquitoes and that it had helped his mosquito problem. We did the same and ours caught 12 overnight. That next morning is when I asked to be moved. Since that was not possible, I borrowed from the front desk scissors and tape. I cut up the netting and taped the cut pieces over every opening I could find. I was astounded. In our last 5 days the AC net had caught well over 100 mosquitoes alone. Since the forced air kept them pressed to the net, they couldn’t escape. If you look at the photo, the dark line is where the mosquitoes would build up as they fell to where the tape met the net. The other opening/vents had various success because if the mosquito could fly back to where they came from, I wouldn’t know if this was a source (except for the one behind the sliding door to the bathroom). I didn’t notify the hotel until my last day what I had discovered because if they took my nets down, I would not have been able to sleep in my room. I was already covered with mosquito bites and going crazy from scratching. I also notified the Apple Representative and he (speaking Spanish) was better able to translate the mosquito situation to the front desk. They said that someone would be at our room to see the nets right away. I waited. The Apple Rep called to see if anyone from the hotel came and said that he would call them and then call me back to check. I waited. Finally the Apple Rep himself came and he was amazed. The Hotel never did see the nets while I was there. Hopefully they, with a little pressure from Apple Vacations, are going to fix the problem. The bottom line is that they should now know where to find the source and how to fix it. It is unacceptable to put people in these rooms with 50 mosquitoes being pumped directly in to your room. The ridiculously funny part is that at the beginning of our stay, we were so careful not to open our doors or only when necessary and the fact is some mosquitoes would have probably flown out. Our building was on the sunset side by the activity pool. So all of the rooms connected to the same AC system we had would also have this problem. Big clue, if you go into your room and see mosquito guts or blood smears you might have a problem. The fly swatter was the best thing we took. Mexican mosquitoes are fast and smarter than ours back home. They are hard to kill. We couldn’t use the OFF very much or wipes provided because of the infant. Our first 5 days was awful but once the nets were up, we were much better. We never had a mosquito free room, but killing 5 per day is better than 50. I really hope they get this fixed. The resort is very beautiful and the staff was extremely nice, but not worth the trip if you are sleeping in a mosquito infested room. I would like to see the hotel management stay in this room with the wipes and can of Raid they provide. Good luck!

17  Thank MCP10

Reviewed May 18, 2008

I just returned from the Grand Sunset Princess a few days ago. Went there on a "girlfriend getaway" to take a break from the daily grind and to put in some "chill" time.

All in all I really enjoyed my stay. I got just what I was looking for in a quick vacation: nice accommodations, sun, relaxation, fun activities, and good food and drinks. I feel GSP delivered on all of these.

We had the Platinum suite room which was lovely. I really liked the Platinum lounge, it had free internet, and there were snacks and drinks for platinum peeps available 90% of the time. I never used the private pool area, preferred the larger pool with the swim up bar right next to it. The room had two jacuzzis, one in the bathroom and one on the balcony which I thought was totally sweet, but never got to use the one outside. We had an ocean view from our room, and the sound of the waves at night was nice. I left the patio door opened most nights because we were on the second floor (screen closed of course). My only gripe about the Platinum suites is that they are too far away from the main hotel area and restaurants. It's at least a 10 min walk to the lobby. They have a little golf cart that offers rides, but it does not run consistently, oh well, the long walks were nice to burn off a few extra calories!

Left tips for maids under the pillow and for the beverage service guy in the fridge. (Take plenty of $1 bills, very handy)

Platinum residents (and who ever crashed the party) are treated to a nice beach barbeque on Fri evenings. The food was great, and since we arrived Friday evening it was a nice start to our vacation. Later that evening we caught one of the Theater Shows which was very entertaining, I recommend checking out the shows if you have the time, every night at 9:30. For you single ladies like myself, there's not much going on at the Hotel, there's a little disco, but I'd suggest heading to Playa Del Carmen for more of a bar or club scene.....or make the trek up to Cancun.

The food at the buffets was good/decent, there were plenty of choices so we never had a problem finding something we enjoyed. We made dinner resv for the Japanese, Mexican, and International restaurants. Japanese was ok (chef over did it with soy sauce), Mexican place was very good, didn' t make it to the International, decided to do dinner in Playa Del Carmen instead (La Parilla)

Be sure to check out daily activities. We did archery, and they have rifle practice and some other fun stuff over near the kids club.

Massages at the spa were great, and we even managed a workout at the gym, nice equipment and the gym was pretty empty.

We never had a problem locating chairs at the pool or on the beach. The water was nice and warm, service at the pool bar and all bars for that matter was always quick, never waited more than a few minutes. Try the "coco-loco" drink only available at the lobby bar, yummy!!

If you are looking for a change from the resort and want a great day of fun and adventure. Try the Coba Mayan Adventure at Alltournative Tours...absolutely worth every penny.

Trip was great, came back to work nice and refreshed. I'd recommend this hotel to couples, families, and groups traveling together...not recommended for singles who want to do a lot of partying, but perfectly fine for relaxing and hanging out.

4  Thank Teewanda
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess from May 10th through the 17th. We had a great time. We booked trhough Bookit.com. No problems at all.
When we arrived we checked in and even though are room was not ready (it was only 1pm, check in is at 3pm) we were able to get our bracelets and grab some lunch. The food was not bad. We were always able to find food that we liked. We never had a problem with food being cold either, I think that the people complaining in previous reviews are just inpossible to please.
The Platinum suites are located by the beach, the best area in my opinion. We had a ong walk to the lobby, but with our own bar and room service, as well as two al la cartes next to us, it was fine with us. The walk wasn't even that bad. There were constant shuttles running as well, and the concierge was always willing to call us a shuttle if we needed one.
Our room was 4120, facing the ocean, it was beautiful waking up to the ocean and a view of Cozumel every morning. We had no problems with our room. It was awesome. It was cleaned every day and our fridge was always stocked, if we wanted anything extra we just left a note. Every request was fufilled.
The platinum area had its own pool and we loved to sit by that and have the butler service (Ceasar is great!) We had an oppertunity to meet some really nice people. The beach was nice too. Some rocks in the water, just bring water shoes. It is the ocean, there is nothing you can change about that.
We ate at several al la cartes, the best by far was the Mexican. Again, I always found something good to eat. We went into Playa del Carmen one night, took a $13 dollar taxi as we didn't want to be bothered with the shuttle, and it was well worth it. Took an excursion through Best Day travel to Cozumel too and it was great.
There is too much to really write about all the wonderful things about this resort. We paid a great price and felt we got ABOVE AND BEYOND what we paid for. Maybe it was because we were Platinum, I felt we got superior service and everyone was always willing to help with a smile. I honestly have no complaints and would go back as Platinum again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank nicole318CT
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband, 20 year old daughter and another couple just got back from the Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess and had a great time. We stayed in the platinum suites on the Riviera side. The platinum lounge was very nice. Jaime the bartender in plat lounge was the best in the resort (my opinion). He makes the best mojitos and peach daquiris and capicino.cant spell haha. Our room was very nice the jacuzzi on the balcony was incredible. I used it 3 nights out of 7 it was so nice listening to the wildlife and just relaxing. Our view was not the best we had a partial ocean view and partial construction. but it was not bad and were hardly in the room anyway. The beach and the ocean are amazing. yes there are rocks but we only used our watershoes 1 day the rest we just were very careful. out towards the ropes it is mostly smooth sand.The pools are awesome our private pool was my favorite. lounge beds and was very quiet. The swimup bars were really nice too. the breakfast and lunch buffets by platinum were incredible. large variety and many different fresh choices. the omelette station was great. the lunch buttet was also very good and the ice cream, well what can I say ,it was probably the best icecream I have ever eaten and I have eaten a lot of ice cream in my life. I was not impressed with the dinner buffet though although the carrots were amazing. We ate in Miso Japanese 2 nights, italian 1 night and the grill 1 night. The japanese and italian were very good, the grill was so so. The beach party for platinum was very good. The desserts were amazing at the beach party. The 3 shows that we saw were good mostly dancing and mexican dancing. We went in the disco 1 night but we were not impressed. The best thing we did on this vacation besides just relaxing was the bar hopping tour in Cancun. It was incredible wild and fun. The shuttle service was hit and miss mostly we could get a ride to dinner and than we liked to take a slow leisurly walk back after dinner. The weather was amazing no rain while we were there. It was very hot and humid but down by the ocean it was about 10 degrees cooler with a nice breeze. I do not have any complaints about this place the only things I can say is that they are understaffed but the staff that they do have are very hard working and are doing there best to make you happy. We tipped very generously and felt that we definately got our moneys worth.

7  Thank Jane C
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I would just like to start off by saying, I am so glad my wife and I didn't listen to the negative reviews on this site. The place is awesome.

Addressing Issues others have had:

1--The lights come on when you insert your room card in slot.
2--The AC unit will not run it the sliding door is open for a long period of time.
3--If you stand at the bar with a dollar in your hand they will serve you first. If not you will wait your turn, which is still fast.....
4--You are in Mexico so the beers of choice are Corona, Corona Light, Modelo.
5--There are no signs for step downs, etc. -Because you are in a country where car seat are still not required.

If you go to this resort with an open ,ready to have fun outlook that is what you will get. Fun!! we became good friends with all the bartenders. The buffetts were good, not your local buffett, but that is why you travel to experience new things. I would recommend a trip the 5th ave in Playa Del Carmen "La Parilla" There food is awesome. The place is big but if you are drinking while you walk what is the problem. it's a beutiful stroll, and you don't feel confined. It's paradise. big enough not to feel crowded, even when full. the only wait is usually at the top bar, around social hour, so have a drink and get aquainted.
I personally don't see how they make any money because the party I was with drank what we paid for the room, then some. The staff is great to deal with always respectful even when I thought they should not have been.(Other guest thinking they were part of the Trump family)if you know what I mean. I had a Blast we will be going back in Oct.

Pros:
Pools
Bartenders
Views
Friends
Fun

Cons:
Had to leave!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
13  Thank funforfour
Reviewed May 16, 2008

My cousin & I (in our low 30s) stayed at the junior deluxe suite on the Princess side. The beaches were amazing...powder white sand and very clear, shallow water with lots of activities ($$) to do. Overall, I had a good time at this place (it's my 5th time in Mexico), but we were really bored after 4-5 days. I won't go back to this resort....but I would recommend it to those who are seeking good value.

Room:

1. The rooms are new and spacious.
2. I asked for a non-smoking room, but got a smoking.
3. Most of the rooms are very far away from the ocean (or anywhere else).
4. No Internet access in the room.
5. The room was made up only 50% of the time I was there.
6. Room service is EXTRA.

Pool:

1. Lots and lots of swimming pools to choose from: party pool, quiet pool, baby pool, etc...
2. Always out of beach towels.

Staff:

1. Very friendly staff.
2. Short on the number of staff in every department: bartenders (pool bars are always out of ice - and close by 5:30pm), waiters, housekeepers, receptionist.

Food:
1. Very bland. Below average. The only restaruant worth going to is "Le Fleur". The food is a definitely about quantity NOT quality.

Landscaping:

The landscaping is beautiful. However, I saw the fog the place with pesticides early one evening (7pm) ..........and wondered how much of it ends up in the swimming pools and the air that we breath. Yuck!

1. Pool table (kiddy size) is in really bad condition.
2. Ping Pong table is left outside and half the panel is warped.
3. Gym is pretty good. Newer machines, sufficient # of bikes and treadmills, only busy in the am.
4. SPA - very expensive ....more so than your average spa in this area.

8  Thank KibbyBulldog
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We just got back from our trip. We stayed there May 5-May 12 2008. It was my husband and 5 year old traveling with me. We originally booked a junior deluxe suite with Bookit but when we got there we decided to upgrade to Platinum for a very low price after speaking at checkin in Spanish of course. The room was awesome and the view was the best. Jorge the coincerge in the platinum lobby was so helpful. He booked our a la cartes. We also ate at the buffets and they were great. We are not Picky eaters. Although I would not recommend the Fondue restaurant. we liked the dessert but not the actual meal. We did like Miso but you better like suishi and we really enjoyed the Hacienda and Mama Mia. The shows in the lobby were entertaining and on Saturday there is an open air Market which was nice. The beach was awesome yes there are rocks but we brought water shoes and had no issues. The pools were great also. We had no issues with getting drinks. The staff really works hard to please you. I did tip the maid and at the restaurants because they work really hard. Just a few bucks. We did not have any issues with mosquitos but we did spray ourselves before going to dinner. the room was really pretty and the maid came everyday and cleaned it and our frig was always restocked. we did try room service a few times and the club sandwich and pizza was good.
Overall we had a great time. we did not have any issues to complain about. we really enjoyed ourselves.

13  Thank blackyRhodeIsland