“Great Resort, Great Staff, Great Vacation!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #74 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I traveled to the Grand Sunset Princess with 9 of my best girlfriends in early May 2013. It was an amazing trip! Being surrounded by your besties for a week in the sun was fantastic and we couldn't have selected a better place. The resort is large so be prepared for a little walking, but with all the extra features, so worth it. We visited the shops, the beach, the various buffet restaurants and 4 of the 7 a la cartes. They were fabulous - oriental (wonton soup was delicious), Italian (wonderful from start to finish), French (great food) and Grill (amazing T-Bone steak). Spa and Gym facilities were awesome - I went to the gym 3 days out of 7, not bad! Didn't take part in the spa services myself, but half of our group did and they said it was awesome!!! Shows every night, sports bar playing hockey games (for a Canadian this was important, since the playoffs were on), live music in the downstairs courtyard bar, lobby bar with a great atmosphere ... and the food ... it was plentiful, great variety and never ran out. If you are a fan of nachos, salsa and guac, OMG, you will love it!!!! I will definitely go back to this resort!!! Rooms were over the top - we had swim outs - awesome! Marble everywhere (so be careful if going around dripping wet, it gets slippery) ... soaker tubs in the bathrooms with jets. Large king sized beds or two doubles. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN ... there was someone cleaning wherever you went. Overall, totally worth the cash!!!! It was amazing ... did I say that already :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Andrea P
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for invert your time in this review. Your constructive kind words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you and your group.

We look forward to seeing you again at our Resort and give you the excellent service that you and your friends deserve.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic trip for my husbands 50th amazing place wish we had done the swim up rooms not that the jnr suites are bad just it was so hot it would of be great just to come out of the room to cool off. Food,drink, service all very good no complaint unlike some of the reviews you read from other countries ( Canada, America) which in our opinion are not valid . Would advice to try and do the ala carte restaurant excellent . The beach is beautiful but would recommend if your not on a budget go to the chill out beach it cost 13 dollars each money well spent and Victor our barman was top notch for service . There is a night club on site but its abit loud well what I mean to many Canadians with no manners or class enough said !! All in all very relaxed holiday will return

Room Tip: Swim up room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jujulamont

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at Grand Sunset Princess.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with their family and friends.
On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Pro: Excellent maintenance, restaurants, room comfort, quietness of the adult only section. Excellent and fast service from the concierge.
Cons: Poor towel availability in the room, always something missing. No adult only restaurant(s) only "adult only" rooms. From a year ago, they removed HALF the beach space to put vendor huts and a huge massage pavilion. The section of beach they took, was the best area, since free of rocks in the water. Large number of "resort sales people" on the beach, constantly bothering you. At one moment, counted 61 persons... + numeous locals selling bracelets, necklaces etc... The spa people (all in white) were the most bothering, constantly passing and harassing you on the beach to book massages at exorbitant princes, which people take, since the hut was almost constantly full...
Fondue restaurant is not a "fondue" restaurant in any kind. The chef must not know what is a "fondue" since what is served is a mix of cooked beef, pork, dry bread and sauces you dip in a cheese pot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JPIECOTE1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to the Fondue restaurant.

On the other hand, as you may know in Mexico the beach it is public, therefore we cannot prohibit the access to the vendors, we regret if this situation affected your stay in our Hotel.
I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to take action on the matter.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My Boyfriend and I traveled to The grand Sunset princess hotel on April 12 - April 19 . It was our first trip to Mexico. I am very Picky and I did alot of research before I booked with resort for my all inclusive trip.

Resort , resort rooms,Grounds & Staff:

These three things were TOP NOTCH. the grounds were so clean all the time The Rooms were spot less and the staff was so kind and inviting.
I had requested a king sized bed instead of two double and we received that right away.
The staff was always cleaning.
The maids were amazing nothing ever went missing . We always left 2-3 dollars a day for the cleaning lady/ man and a 1$ for the mini fridge person (inside the fridge). always thanking them for their hard work.

BUFFET & A LA CARTE :
Lets start with that i am a very picky eater but my boyfriend isnt. i found the buffet foods to be a little blah. wasn't the best i had eaten but wasn't the worst i always found something to eat.

My favorite meal and the most delicious was the romantic dinner we paid for that was on the beach at the chill out area. AMAZING !!!!
the a la cartes we both enjoyed was :
The cooking show one teeykappi ( i think that's how its spelt)
mamma mia
oriental

La vaqueria was ok nothing special
The sushi bar was just disgusting and I LOVE SUSHI.

Beach:
if you want to get away from those little huts and have the view of the beach go the the right at the end closer to the chill out or all the way to the left. beach is very clean and some spots can be rocky just be careful ( its more to the right by the chillout that it is rocky)

Entertainment:

amazing always a show going on during the day or at night. we were never bored on the resort.

the people that complain about the amount of walking they had to do are just pure lazy ... yes from your room to the beach is 7-15mins depending on how fast you walk. but whats the rush you are on vacation !!!! we enjoyed how much this resort keep it beautiful nature and wilderness around the grounds .

WE would defiantly go back it was so beautiful and relaxing .

JUST ONE IMPORTANT TIP .. DO NOT USE THE PHONE IN THE ROOM ITS LIKE 20$ A MINTUE AND 30$ TO CONNECT .. BUY A PREPAID CARD .. OR IF YOU HAVE AN IPHONE OR ANDROID WITH FACETIME VIBER TANGO ANYTHING THAT NEEDS WIFI TO WORK : A LITTLE MONEY SAVER TIP WALK OVER TO THE ADULTS ONLY SIDE ON THE RIVERIA SIDE AND CONNECT TO RIVIERA YUCATAN AND YOU CAN GET FREE WIFI THERE AND DONT NEED TO PAY IF YOU WANT TO SEND A QUICK MESSAGE.

Room Tip: rooms on the riveria side are quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Christina I

Dear Guest,
I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your first trip to know Mexico.
I am glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Flew SUNWING, late departure., no DUTY FREE, only FRENCH immigration cards. :( Arrived around noon May 5th - left my worries at the airport. Bus trip uneventful. Guide gave us all the info we needed and a few laughs. The check in was WEIRD. They held your luggage until you were checked in - practically had to wrestle to get it away from staff if you wanted your luggage beside you at all times. Room block 3000 +- no issues other than shower flooded washroom area several times during the evening showers - called for housekeeping but no one came... room was always cleaned during the day. Bed too firm for my liking that is why sleep quality is showihg only average - no noise outside in the halls while sleeping. :) Paid a few extra $$$ to have more beer. Always plenty of water for drinking and teeth brushing. Food buffet was so so. Japaneese restaurant for my birthday !!! loved the rice and chicken and the beautiful cake. POOLS and BEACH beautiful. The grounds are well maintained. It is a huge resort and there is a lot of walking - if you don't like to walk much, then don't go. The reviews all state how far the beach and lobby are from one another but tourists continue to book at the Princess and then comnplain !!!

I have travelled since late 70's - different places but Mexico around 12 times. These people are hard workers at the resorts and paid very little wages. I met many of the staff and every one was pleasant. friendly and helpful. Hand gestures go a long way down there as not all staff understand the English language. I don't expect anything more than what I paid for. They deserve respect and they deserve to be tipped. I bring a pack of 100 $1. bills. Takes care of the maids, servers, bartenders and anyone else that services you for a week. They are so thankful.

I loved the hotel and its beauty. lOVE the swimup rooms and how the pools go around the entire place- spectacular. The weather was great. I probably won't go back as I prefer a smaller resort but of course if the price is right again., I could suffer through it I suppose . lol

Just go on vacation and enjoy - all the useless chatter about no clocks in the rooms, bad food and other little things. Remember you are NOT HOME having to work, do laundry, prepare meals, housekeeping and cursing the cold or damp weather from your dirty windows -
CHILL !!!

Room Tip: Bring yourself a BUBBA (insulated cup) to avoid the plastic cup usage. If you get a choice of your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Valarie H

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for having chosen Grand Sunset Princess for your latest vacation, and for writing such a kind review!

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the beach and the activities, and of course the service provided by our hard-working, wonderful staff.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 14, 2013

In reviewing this all inclusive I would have to say it is a huge resort.I would not have picked it but the wedding we were invited to was to be held at this resort.
In all 27 guests were at the wedding,most stayed a week but we had decided to stay the two weeks.
The good about this hotel is the staff are very nice,pools are beautiful and plenty of them.
It is just to huge. It will take you a good ten minutes of fast walking from the front to the beach it is a long and narrow resort.
We were in the Riveria side which is a mirror image of the Sunset side.We were the only members of the wedding on the Riveria side we asked to be moved to be closer to the rest of the wedding guests.We kept going back and asking but they kept saying come back tomorrow.We even got Sunwing involved but to no avail.We finally gave up.Tried again after the first week but still no luck . We just gave up.They would upgrade you for more money.
They have a cart running the outside of the resort to get from the front to the back but only the outside and every twenty minutes.We only took it once as the Brides grandparents had mobility problems so they rode it alot.
We have stayed in over 10 different resorts and this one was the worse for class distinction .There is a number of upgrades you can get and the highest is Platinum.They have soft pillows jet tub out on the balcony and lots of perks.It would cost about 800.00 dollars a week more.Next time I would think about it.
The beach is nice with a adults only section and a roped off section for the elite.They have a chill out section for 11 dollars a day.They like american dollars there and didnt like peso,s and didn,t give a fare exchange.So either use American or Canadian dollars or your charge card when purchasing anything at the Resort.
They have a food bar at the beach and burgers are the best. So try it out.There is no snorkeling off this beach so you will have to go else where.
In closing it is a very clean hotel and the food was all right but it was just to big.

Room Tip: top floor,and in the middle of the resort,there is only one elevator in each section so if you need...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank merrit girl

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking your time to share your experience at Grand Sunset Princess with TripAvisor’s Travelers.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experimented in your stay with us.
We really appreciate your comment and observations and it will be taken into consideration and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Riviera Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 14, 2013

During our vacation March 24-March 31, 2013 we had an incident and had to file a report with the hotel. While we went on an excursion, hotel staff entered our room, both cleaning staff and beverage stock person. One of these two people did not close our door shut becuase when we returned to our room later that day, our door was open. We noticed that a pair of prescription eyeglasses was missing. The hotel was going to interview their staff and told me to get in touch with Sunwing...our Airline and what the result of the investiagtion was. There was another issue that on the report printed by Conceierge, only the beverage staff used their card/key to get into our room, however the maid cleaned our room that day, but did not use a card/key to get in. That was another odd thing that happened and we wanted to know why she (maid) did not have to use a card/key to get in. The concierge did say that they would make sure to follow up with me in 1-2 days at our home telephone number and email as they had to interview their staff, and we would be gone by that time. It has been over 3 months and not a single word from the hotel as to what came about of their investigation. Very disapointing from a hotel that claims they aim to please their guests. :( Not to mention a very expensive trip as I had just purchased those prescription glasses a month before our trip and am now out $700 and had to purchase glasses when I returned home. :(

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family