“Beautiful hotel with great staff”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks in April for our honeymoon. The hotel is beautiful, lots of pools and well kept grounds. The lobby is very large and quite impressive. The staff are excellent, always busy working/ cleaning, and will serve you straight away. The bedrooms are large with two sinks in the bathroom which is nice and the bed is large and comfortable.

It's the little thing we enjoyed, the tea and biscuits in the lobby was nice after a day out and the Sports Bar was fun with all different games on tv and pool tables etc.

The beach is beautiful, turquoise waters and lots of sun beds. We had a massage on the beach which was great.

My only negative would be the food. Although there is a huge choice for food, it is all very bland which we didn't expect for Mexico. The buffet restaurants are very cold and clinical, as are the theme restaurants. There is no atmosphere in the restaurants, if there is music being played you can't hear it. You have to book into the theme restaurants two days in advance which is slightly annoying as how do you know you want asian food for tea in two days time?! Even then the best time slots go quickly, we ate at 9.45 most evenings. You cannot eat outside which is a shame other than the beach bbq and you can't get an ice cream anywhere which I found odd!

The hotel itself is in the middle of nowhere, but I think all of the hotels are like this. This means that you are expected to take a taxi everywhere but these are rather expensive. We therefore walked out of the hotel and grabbed a bus for a tiny fraction of the taxi price.

Beware- all day trips to the parks etc are expensive. However, the trips are brilliant. Our favourite was 'Xplor', 4 miles of zip wires (14) in total with 3 water landings, driving 4x4s in water and caves and cave swimming and rafting. This trip was very expensive but included all food and is really worth it, such a great experience. The food is great on this trip, fresh smoothies and a great all you can eat fresh buffet. Chichen Itza is a place you also must visit, it's great to hear all about the local history and culture. After Chichen Itza we were taken to a cenote also which we swam in, that was very pretty.

Overall, anyone would be impressed with the image of the hotel. I don't think I'd go for two weeks again though, maybe 10 nights (it costs a lot to keep busy!)

2  Thank Sarah O
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choose our resort! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted that you underlined your satisfaction about the suites and the service from our hard-working staff; it is good to know that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more and improve ourselves every day.
We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Fist I should start by saying that the employees at this resort were simply excellent, but also I know for a fact that most of the people that work at any Cancun Resort are very helpful. The people who work here are truly the best thing about the resort.

I've been to Cancun more than ten times in the last 10 years, I always go to a different resort just for the fun of it.

This is the first time that I went to a resort outside the hotel zone in Cancun, specifically in Playa del Carmen.

Fist thing I must say is that this resort is beautiful with an extensive set of pools, laid out in a way that you can always find a nice and quiet spot to relax or just go were the action is, meaning DJ playing music and pool bar with games and activities.

There is a lot of walking to the main buildings but they have a set of 4 buffet restaurants strategically located on every corner of the resort.

The grounds are beautiful and meticulously maintained. The beautiful grounds really make your longer walks enjoyable. but only if you really like to walk.

The beach was beautiful, but the huts for massages and tours definitely take away from its beauty.

The food was ok, they hold a different food theme everyday and depending on what you like you might get lucky.

I specifically did not like the spanish food day since I'm allergic to sea food so I ended up eating a lot of bread and sweets.

I found that the food on this resort was somehow worse than other resorts that I've stayed on the past.

Breakfast was very good, but lunch and dinner not as good as other resorts.

A good thing about the buffet restaurants was that you would not need to wait to be seated, we were seated right away as soon we walked inside the restaurant regardless of how busy it was.

I did not go to one of the a la carte restaurants because it requires for you to break your activities in the middle of the day and go to the main building, wait in line for who knows how long to reserve with a couple of days in advance.

The room was ok but make sure that you put a request for a non smoking room in advance because I took for granted that every room was non smoking and of course they assigned me a smoking room.

When I requested a change of room I was told that they were completely booked so I was left with a smoking room.

The room was ok, it was clean nothing fancy including the supplies they use to stock the bathroom were cheap and low quality but if you don't mind this you will be ok.

I have to note that I found a live cockroach in my room on the second night.

I think my main complaint will go towards the other guests, I think because the price for this package was one of the cheaper, I think the resort security staff should be more attentive to this issue. I found them to be pretty lenient towards the guest disruptive conduct.

One guest was so drunk that as he was walking around the pool he actually pooped while he was standing and walking, very disgusting! I have never seem anything like this before in my life!

Other minor problems were no internet access, even if you paid for the wireless service. We bought two cards from an electronic kiosk as instructed by the front desk person for twenty dollars each, and they only worked on the main lobby area the first two days, after that cards code provided never worked again.

If you can spend a little more money , go someplace else. Asfor me I will not return to this Princess resort ever.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor room, there are roaches coming inside the room from the outside
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Desoto2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choose Grand Riviera Princess for your first trip to know Mexico. We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

We appreciate your feedback of our services and facilities and concerning your comments about the WiFi, we will pass your comments to the manager.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we have improved all the observations that you did.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our number one piece of advice is to go Platinum! I think most people's complaints are easily avoided by going Platinum. Any why wouldn't you, it is about $20 more per day, so worth every penny. You will be spoiled from the moment you check in, cold towels and champagne. Staying in the Platinum rooms you are you are assigned a few restaurant reservations, your other reservations are made easily in the Platinum Lounge. You are taken to a roped off area in the restaurant closest to the Platinum Lounge where you can order off the menu for breakfast or lunch, or go to the buffet. Room service is also included when booked in Platinum. Everywhere you eat you are waited on hand and foot, the people here work very hard and are very friendly make sure to tip everyone from the maids to the bartenders to the waiters in the restaurants. They deserve it, we take 100 1's for tips for a week's stay.
Yes the grounds are huge, so if you are not up to walking keep that in mind. There is a shuttle that runs constantly. We used the shuttle service this time to go to Playa Del Carmen for shopping on 5th Avenue. It is a very nice service, you can go at 10 or noon, and be picked up at 5pm for free, or earlier for $4 per person. We also spent a whole day in the Chill Out Lounge this stay, I am up in the air about it. You will get comfy padded chairs, it is not very crowded and the drink service was the best we had the whole trip. Constantly coming around. They also bring snacks around too. It is $13 dollars a person, I think worth every penny if you are not already staying in Platinum, but you do get the same services in the Platinum pool area. But the drinks are bigger and in real glasses which was nice We did go to the Platinum area on the beach, last time seemed more secluded, this time is seemed like everyone was in there.

The parts that made this trip better:
- The weather!! We went the 3rd week of April this time, it was nice and cool in the evenings. Lower humidity, a nice breeze in the mornings and evenings. Last time we went in mid June and it was so incredibly hot and humid. Dinners were so uncomfortable and hot even in the restaurants. For me the weather made the trip that much more enjoyable, Really.
- Easier time making dinner reservations. We got into every restaurant we wanted and with ease. Also they take you directly to the area in the buffet to order off the menu where we had some very good meals.
- Getting a cabana and also staying in Chill Out. A much more relaxing trip, last time we did lots of excursions, which are amazing, but was nice to just totally relax.

My tips: Take lots of sunscreen, don't think one spray bottle is enough for all week. And it is crazy expensive to buy down there.
Bring an insulated mug. Drinks melt fast in the hot sun. They will even fill them for you. (clean of course)
Bring pool floaties and blowups, cheap ones you don't mind leaving there or throwing away when you leave.
Yes it is all inclusive, but please remember to tip. It is not mandatory, but such a small simple gesture as a dollar or a few goes such a long way.
Also don't think that just because you paid a few more dollars in Platinum you are better than anyone, or staff. We were behind a bachelorette party checking in and they were so extremely rude to the sweet lady checking them in. It was so sad and I almost said something, I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole time. I kept thinking no wonder why people think Americans are ignorant, it is people like that treating others so rudely.

Yes this resort is incredible and that is why we chose it again. I looked at LOTS of different resorts, but you can't beat the beautiful grounds here, the modern rooms and the value. Don't hesitate in booking your stay here.

Room Tip: We first wanted a top floor, but both times stayed bottom floor against the ocean and found they are...
4  Thank AshandJer

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for invert your time in this review. Your constructive kind words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you.

We hope that you will return again for your 3th time with us and we can extend our usual warm welcome.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Grand Sunset/Riviera Princess is a beautiful resort and huge!!

We booked Platinum which are located closest to the beach, some overlooking, VIP concierge.
Platinum Lounge offers drinks (including alcohol) and snacks from early morning until 11pm
Free WIFI, alcohol in room, trolley that takes you to front of resort every 20 minutes
Platinum Pool, its small and private/quiet. Better liquor!!!

Pros:
Great Rooms and amenities
Bartenders were awesome and friendly, always carry singles to tip, you get better service!!
Many pools to choose from, we hung at main pool in the middle
Chill Out on the beach is worth the $13 entry fee, comfortable chairs, waitress and free drinks. Food better than in resort but you have to pay (reasonable) - Hookah's $13 to rent!
Bartenders in platinum lounges great!

Cons:
Food - The food at this resort is not good. Breakfast is the best meal of the day at buffet and maybe the pasta station at lunch. Buffet on Sunset side near platinum had a weird smell at all times.
Restaurant staff always disorganized, my server argued with me over what I ate and didn't eat. We had a large party...staff and service was slow and disorganized.
Didn't get drinks right...
Concierge in platinum lounges not very helpful and sometimes rude, they would just say no.
Horrible lounge chairs at pool.
Make sure you get a towel card at check in or you won't get a towel, if you lose your card you are charged.
If you lose your wristband $100

Restaurant Reviews: Not good!
The seafood restaurant - Horrible!
La Fleur - Staff was rude and food bad!
Riveria's Buffet near lobby - Best Buffet for Breakfast
Sports Bar - Always has nachos and hot dogs
La Velias - Steakhouse was the BEST by far!
Ask for 1921 cream tequila on the rocks or as a shot
Room service was not good, Totinos Pizza is better than theirs.

Nightlife: There is none!!!
A cheesy disco too much fog and tiny, opens as soon as the other entertainment shows, etc. is done. We waiting for the staff to arrive outside club.
Sports bar - fun, busy, open til 4am.

Recommendations: Go into town (5th Ave), we waited to the last night (a Monday) and wished we would have went earlier. Great shopping, you can walk with margaritas, Carboncitas has best Pork Tacos I've ever had!!! Dance clubs closed on Mondays.

Room Tip: Platinum rooms gave you more benefits. Swim-ups were pretty cool!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jaclyn K
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your honest review with TripAdvisor’s Travelers, we are grateful for your visit at Grand Sunset Princess.

We appreciate your kind words as it pertained to our immaculate rooms, the Chill Out Restaurant Bar and the amazing service from our bartenders.

However we are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations regarding the food; your feedback is very important for us, as it helps to improve our services and avoid such problems in the future.

Thank you very much for your visit and we look forward to seeing you. Please in case you need any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our second time at this resort and was not disappointed at all! We love the Laguna suites , where your treated like royalty ! Victor our waiter in the platinum buffet was great , if you are lucky enough to have him wait on you , please tell him we say hello, he went out of his way to make our breakfast and lunch experience wonderful! The Laguna pool concierge was also amazing, helped in any way he could! Love love love this resort!! Are planning to go next year same time same place!

Room Tip: Laguna villa is the only way to go here

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Sunset Princess and for taking the time to share your review about your experience.

We are glad that your holiday was great for you; this type of comments motivates us to keep providing an excellence service.

We look forward to seeing you again for your 3rd time on our Resort and give you the excellent service that you and all our guests deserve.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hi everybody.
We just back from a 7 nights stay at the Grand Sunset Princess and have to agree with most all the reviews regarding the beautiful grounds in the resort.
We stayed at this hotel couple times before in different rooms(swim up, Junior suite deluxe).This time we stayed in Platinum rooms and I should say it's SOOO worth it! Jacuzzi on the balcony, robes and slippers, better drinks in Platinum lobby, FREE internet, free access to the SPA, private pool and totally separate area on the Beach, so you don’t need to wake up really early to get a chairs…let just say service is so much better in Platinum!
Resort is really big, they have golf carts every 15 minutes from Platinum lobby to Restaurants, but we did not mind the walking at all and this helped to try additional desserts after dinner and big breakfasts each day.We had massage in the GSP Spa and I didn't care for it(it was more expensive and not so great).TRY massage on the beach, ask for Louis, he did best deep tissue massage for only $45!
Water was great, then headed to beach bar for a cold one and then found a cabana to read under. Very enjoyable and relaxing. Lunch was close to the beach at La Tortuga Restaurant. Hamburgers, pizza, pasta, baked salmon, chips and salsa, salads, cold cuts.
Dinner at either on Riviera or Sunset Buffet were OK, not Great... if you are coming after 7 Pm, you need to wait little bit.
Like I’ve said the food was "ok" but the offerings got repetitive fast.
I'm not a picky eater; I could always find something to eat. Longest line for some reason was for pasta. Did try the Italian(very good veal) ,Mexican(good, shrimps were very good, lamb not so good), Loved International(if you are big eater – small portions, but really good ones, Didn't like Fondue place next to the beach, soup was cold, food arrived 45 minutes late, don't waste your time! Tapas was OK… We always tipped in restaurants, bars, rooms, but noticed if you are just leaving money in the room, nothing special, if you catch person in the lobby, just tell him that you need your room cleaned up and give him couple bucks, it’s going to be clean in next 15-20 minutes.
Fridge was always full with water beer, soda; they refill it at 4pm every day.
I was scared of mosquitoes, so I took tons of staff, but got 1 bite sitting in Mexican restaurant on the patio, weather was perfect.
What I would take next time: Extra Sunscreen, we took 2 bottles of SPF15, one bottle of SPF 45 for 4 people and run out, sun was very strong, so I paid $20 for bottle, which cost about$7 in US.; Feather pillow, I’m not used to polyester ones, water shoes, good shampoo and conditioner. In Room you have: soap, shampoo, sewing kit,small hair brush.

All in all, it was a good vacation with reasonable pay.Last year we stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya,paid $400 extra per person and I can't say that it was better than GSP(food and rooms).

Room Tip: I liked higher floors in any building, choose floor 2 or 3(they have ground foor),for example room 3...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vacationlover023

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choose our resort for your holiday on the Riviera Maya! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

We really appreciate your comment and observations and it will be taken into consideration and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.
Allow me tell you that our staff works very hard for our guests leave happy and satisfied.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Sunset Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

After much Playa del Carmen research we chose to have our wedding at Grand Sunset Princess. The location is great, the price was good and the grounds are beautiful. Yes, the resort is huge but its not hard to navigate. There are trollys that run to and from the ends of the resort that run all the time. Working with wedding coordinator, Emma, was great. She is the best! She answer all my emails within a day or 2 and everything that I had asked for was done. It was perfect!!! If you are planning a wedding in Playa del Carmen then I would definitely consider Grand Sunset Princess and ask for Emma. We stayed in the Platinum Suites which was really nice. I normally dont splurge on the upgraded rooms but since it was our wedding we did. It was definitely worth it. You feel like royalty. There is a special Platinum concierge that will take care of whatever you need especially dinner reservations. Also included is a Platinum pool, free internet, and a bar. We had about 50 guests that stayed at the resort as well. Most were at the Jr Suites or Deluxe Jr Suites. I would suggest upgrading to Deluxe even if you do it after you arrive, its only about $50/person extra for the week. There were a few complaints about the restaurant reservations from our guests. Reservations have to be made in advance or you are stuck with the buffet. Dinner reservations are hard to come by and when you go to dinner you realize there are a lot of empty tables. Its pretty frustrating. The food is nothing to write home about but you wont starve either.The Italian restaurant is actually really good. The change to the buffets are very minimal. One day there will be bananas and the next apples. It was a little hard to get drinks at the bars usally because there was only 1 bartender. The service staff was average, not overly nice/friendly. It always seemed my drink of choice "ran out" at the bars. The beach is beautiful and the water is so pretty. It was so fun to swim in the ocean. The beach does get crowded especially coming right off of the bridge. If you walk down a ways you are likely to find chairs. The beach bar was always crowded but there is another beach bar toward the Riviera side which was not crowded. The massage on the beach under the tent is a must do! Its so relaxing. Also, downtown Playa del Carmen is not far from the resort. There is a free shuttle from the resort that needs to be reserved a day in advance. Or there are taxis that will take you whenever you want for about $20. The downtown is definitely worth checking out. There are tons of restaurants, shops, and bars. We all had a great time and created so many memories while on vacation. There is something to be said with having 50 people there and no major issues to write about. We were really happy with our choice of Grand Sunset Princess!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bryc80

Dear Guest,

We are glad that your wedding was excellent for you, your family and friends; this type of comments motivates us to keep providing an excellence service.

We look forward to see you again at our Resort for your 1st anniversary and give you the excellent service that you and all our guests deserve.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!