“AWESOME Week in Paradise :)”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kitchener, Canada
“AWESOME Week in Paradise :)”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I(ages 26 & 27) stayed for 1 week at Grand Sunset Princess, on the Riviera Side in a Junior Deluxe Room from March 25 - April 1, 2013.

Transportation TO GSP:
We flew with Sunwing and the way there was smooth. We left 15 minutes early, had a champagne flight(a small plastic cup of champagne) and the meal was... airplane food. Edible, not gourmet. Once we got to the airport, our bags were quickly available, and we headed out the doors. When you walk out those doors, you are SWARMED with taxi companies, tour companies, etc. If you fly with Sunwing look for someone in a bright orange/green 'CNT' t-shirt, as this company works for Sunwing. A nice gentleman assisted us to our bus. Nice coach bus, air conditioned, we waited almost 30 minutes for a family who was late getting to the bus, and then we were on our way! GSP was the first drop off (yesss!) and the drive was about 30-45 mins from airport to resort.

Check-in:
Check in was quick and painless. We had originally booked a plain ol Junior suite(we don't spend much time in the room at all), but were upgraded to a Junior Deluxe, ROOM only - not the added perks(extra a la cartes, etc.) - which we were a-ok with! Carolina checked us in, and we joked around and she was VERY helpful advising of where the main things that we needed were(our room, towel exchange locations, buffets, etc.) on the map. We left feeling sure of where we were going :)

Resort:
This resort IS big, but if you don't have any mobility problems, enjoy the bit of walking after eating and drinking too much. The grounds are IMMACULATE and walking around the resort is some beautiful scenery - so walk if you can!! If you do have issues, there is a trolly that runs BEHIND the rooms that you can take! We were located in the 6000s, room 6076, which is closer to the beach than the lobby, and our balcony faced the opposite way of the pool, we found it was very quiet, and slept with our screen door only open at night. Was nice to hear the crickets and wake up to the birds! The room was very spacious, nice, clean, and we always felt safe. We never had any issues with our safe not working, and it's simple to use, and nice and big as well! Our shower leaked a little bit, but put a towel at the bottom of the door, and knew to be careful when we got out, as the marble DOES get slippery. Other than that, the room met our expectations :)
There are pools EVERYWHERE! The party pool is usually pretty busy, and looked like a TON of fun(we are more beach people, only went in the pool once), there is always something going on and the swim up bars are a plenty! All of the other pools are not very busy at all, and there are a ton of them! Seats get filled up quickly, so I'd go and save a seat if you want one before heading to breaky!
There are signs everywhere telling you where certain shops, restaurants & bars are. Yes, this resort is big, but after the first day, it is NOT hard to navigate around.
There was always someone cleaning or fixing something, the public bathrooms were always clean and neat and you can tell that this resort is VERY well kept, absolutely beautiful.

Food:
Food was 'ok'. I've had better, but I've also definitely had worse. The buffets are big and plentiful and we ALWAYS found something to eat. I am a picky eater, and never went hungry. Breaky is the usual with made to order omelettes(I got scrambled with all my omelette fixings as I found the omelettes to be a little runny on the inside - they were delicious!). We usually ate at the beach BBQ for lunch, burgs, dogs, chips with guac, cheese sauce and THEE best pico de gaillo I've ever had - soooo delicious! Dinner buffets always had a theme night, which were also good! Again, lots of choice and something for everyone!
We ate at 3 a la cartes, the first was Miso - we did the Teppanyaki show and it was delicious and a lot of fun, you meet some new people and the food is good. A little heavy on the soya in the rice, but not inedible. We also ate at the fondue. The cheese was a mix of emmanthal and guyere and was quite sharp, I would have preferred a cheddar cheese, but again it was edible! Came with lots of meat(shrimp, chicken, sausage, beef, pork and one other that I can't remember) but you have to ask for the mixed plate if you want that, as it's not on the menu! The last that we ate at was Mama Mia, which is Italian, and it was just 'ok'. My bf got the chicken parm but asked for pasta instead of ratatouille and had no issues, and said it was awesome. I got the spinach ravioli and it was just ok. Don't be afraid to try something new at the buffet, some things don't LOOK appealing and ended up being very delicious!
Booking a la cartes is a little annoying with only being able to book 3 days in advance, but we still got fairly decent times of 6:45, 7:15 and 8:15 for dinner - worked perfect for us anyways, time to get ready, have a few drinks and head to dinner!
We didn't find the drinks watered down at all, sometimes they were actually QUITE strong! Bring a big insulated cup and they have no problems filling it!

Beach:
We LOVE the beach, like I said we only spent one day in the pool. The beach is HUGE! Yes, there are palapas(huts) infront of most chairs in the main area, but if you don't want to look at these, then go to the left or the right a little bit. It's not a big deal like some people make it out to be, there are TONS of other seats with an ocean view! We went down to the left a bit, just before the adult only section, infront of the beach bar for most days. There are some rocks in the water, we bought water shoes for a whole $5 a pair at Walmart before we left. I hit my ankle on a rock and got a few scrapes, said 'ouch' and moved on with my life. The waves were big most days, and we bought an air mattress from the little beach shop, and had an absolute RIOT riding the waves on it haha SO much fun, we couldn't stop laughing. There are some people who come around offering pictures with animals(thanks to the parrot who shredded my shoulder and tried to steal my new sunnies! haha), but if you say no gracias, they move along. (or you can pretend you're sleeping hee hee).
We got massages at 'Spa Del Mar' the massage tables that are set up on the beach, but are NOT from the resort. We paid $120USD for 60 mins each, plus 10mins 'reflexology'(aka a deep foot rub, which I still drooled over) and we were given a bottle of champagne. Not a bad deal and they did an awesome job!

Misc:
Booking the shuttle into Playa Del Carmen was easy! We were there around 7:30am and were the first people there, and snagged two seats. There are two times to leave 10am, and 12pm. And 3 times to come back 1:30pm($4USD/per), 3:30pm(also $4USD/per) and 5pm - free but apparantly there are only 42 spots. We came back at 3:30 and had no problems getting a seat back!
Do NOT buy liquor on the resort. We thought we'd be smart and bought 2 bottles of Don Julio white tequila for $55/bottle and stick them in our bags, leaving room for 2 more bottles at duty free(not sure why, cause we claimed all bottles anyways - but that's besides the point). Duty Free had them for $28/bottle... OUCH! But what can ya do, I looked online on the website and they are $89/bottle plus tax, so we still got a deal, but Duty Free was rediculously cheap!
if you're going to do an excursion and like adventure, fun and a packed day, go with Edventure Tours - I'll be doing a review on them in the next couple of days. Their slogan is 'the best day of your vacation' and I could NOT agree more! Phenomenal group of people!
Tips - are important - if you have GOOD service, leave a tip, if you don't have good service, don't leave a tip! It's just like any restaurant that you visit at home! We tipped at the bars, buffets, the maid(along with little gifts each day) and felt justified in spending probably over $100 just in tips. We never had bad service :)
Hola, Gracias, Si, and dos cervesas por favor will all go a long way! Try to use/learn a little spanish and see the employees eyes light up that you are interested in their culture :)

Transportation FROM GSP:
Where do I begin? Our day home was a complete disaster. We were to meet in the Sunset lobby at 9:30am. We packed up, and were out of our room by 8, dropped off our bags, and went for breaky. Headed back up to the lobby at 9:15, and by 9:45, our bus still had not shown. We met 6 other people and ended up traveling with them all day, which made the day a little more tolerable. Turns out our flight was delayed by 4 hours and our pick up time wasn't until 1:10. Would have been nice if one of the Sunwing reps who was just sitting on their phones in the office each time one of us went in, would have come out and told us that! But we went and hung out and came back at 1:10. By 1:30, we still had NO bus. After 2 more trips to the Sunwing office, and an hour later, at 2:10 a small 12 seater van, with NO a/c showed up. We picked up 2 more people on the Riviera side, and the bus was PACKED with our bags and us. NOT a fun ride to the airport. And I think the Sunwing reps could have been more present in the lobby rather than sitting in the office doing nothing, especially when they have people departing.

Sunwing:
Never again. Like I said, the way there was smooth, but as I mentioned above, the last day was horrible. After basically figuring out our own way to the airport(telling them multiple times that no bus had come, looking for reps, etc), we got to the airport and my boyfriend and I were charged $180USD in overweight charges. That's fine, everything is a bit heavier from the humidity and we did do some shopping - paid the $180 and went on our way. Made our way to the first gate - sat there 20 minutes past our boarding time, and FINALLY heard an announcement that we had to change gates, so the 8 of us got up and lugged all of our stuff to the next gate, where we sat again 20 minutes past our boarding time. FINALLY we got on the plane and landed in Toronto 4 hours later than our original flight was to land. We all met again around the luggage carousel, where we joked that all we needed to happen now to complete the crappy day, was for someone's luggage to not show up! Well - we jinxed that, and I'm the one without luggage. We asked an Air Canada rep to assist us, and he was MORE than helpful, looking up the tag(which was switched on our boarding passes, mine on my bf's and my bf's on mine - error on the rep checking us in - so that set us back some time), and after 30 minutes of searching for a Sunwing rep, we found one and he came along and assisted us. We got home on Monday night, it's now Thursday and I still don't have my luggage, and they have NO clue as to where it is. I will be asking for AT LEAST my $180 in overweight charges to be credited back - when/if I ever get my bag back. I know these situations happen with every airline, it was just the entire day that went awry and it didn't really seem like anyone cared to assist us with any of it.

All in All:
I would ABSOLUTELY reccomend this resort for couples, families, groups of friends, etc. of all ages! We didn't let our crappy last day ruin any of our memories and we had an amazing week! I know WestJet also tours to this resort - choose to go with them if you have the option!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
18 Thank michellieo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,352)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel, paths with Mayan statues where you walk together to the beach or the lobby: nice walked during the day or night. it is clean everywhere: all along the paths, pools, rooms: I saw many staff cleaning everything everywhere! Staff is handsome, available, trying to help you: a special mention for the concierge: he helped us fix the wiFi service.
Food: not the greatest: need improvement. Japanese was the best one. The beach grill is good with daily specials (paella, chilies, tacos, etc... And always fresh guacamole: I ate it everyday!

Room Tip: choose the swim-out: wherever you stay, you will be near of everything: beach, restaurants, buffet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Sarah L
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned April 2nd from a week at the Grand Sunset Princess and all the negative reviews are just ridiculous. Yes there arent any alarm clocks in the room or kleenex...BIG DEAL!
Rooms were clean and huge, every ala carte was delicious ( we ate at the Mama Mia, Steakhouse, Japanese and Seafood) and the buffets have a ton of selection. Not sure what some people are expecting but everything we experienced was great!

Big shout out to Miguel and Benjamin at the swim up bar!! They made our last 2 days so much fun!!

All the staff is very friendly and go out of their way to be helpfull. Yes its a big resort, if thats not what your looking for, dont book it. The only issues we encountered were some of the tourists, which is certainly not the resorts fault. Some people just need to take the sticks out of their rear-ends. (lets just say these people give the rest of Canadians a bad name)

Anyway, to sum it up, food is great, drinks are NOT weak or watered down and the resort is beautiful!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
19 Thank Vicki519
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I read reviews online that stated the princess resort was big, and I thought well no big deal I've been to large resorts before. I did NOT understand how incredibly enormous this resort is! It huge, Has to be about a 20 minute walk from the lobby and buffet restaurants to the beach. They have shuttles on the outside walkway but we never caught them the 1 we did see was going the wrong way. So its a long walk to anywhere but there are perks to being in a large resort.

Cons:
1.Very large, long walk to everything.
2.Pillows are aweful, we put down a deposit with concierge for some better down pillows.
3.You have to book way in advance to get into some (japanese) restaurants (but you can always walk to the restaurant and ask if they have a table open).
4.Merchant huts take up some prime beach chair real estate.
5.Reserve a good pool or beach chair early, they can be hard to come by at the party pool
6.If you have friends staying at another resort it is EXPENSIVE for them to come visit. There are day passes which expire at 6pm and evening passes. Both cost around $ 95 each. Our friends took a cab by about 430..$ 95 is pretty steep for an hour and a half at the beach. We got it sorted out with concierge but its worth.mentioning.

Pros:
1.the rooms are clean and look beautiful. When we booked we were offered a room upgrade but we realized it had two beds instead of a king so we went back to get a king.

The only king available was in the original junior suite that we booked and when we got to the room we were pleased to see that it was the same quality as the upgraded room. Only difference was the closet was bigger and there was a bathtub in the upgraded room. The rooms were nice bed with couch and coffee table, small tv, balcony, bathroom and separate frosted doors for LARGE shower and toilet and double sinks. I would suggest you place a towel under the shower door though as a lot of water can escape and flood the bathroom floor.

2. The food at the buffet is tasty. There is a lot of bone in the food unfortunately, but the little bit of meat on the ribs is GOOD.

3. The beach is large, clean and beautiful. Great for swimming, but absence of fish so you will have to snorkle elsewhere.

4. There is no shortage of entertainment. Games at the pool, live bands, theatre, they've got it!

5. The staff are polite and friendly.

Tips:
1. If you get a swim out suite book it on the riviera side-that's the sunny side.
2. Bring an insulated cup. They have tiny plastic cups outside, and an absence of straws.
3. Bring a watch. The only clock there is at the lobby. There is not one in the rooms or by the activities board.

Room Tip: If you want a swim out suite book the riviera side. We just had a basic room but noticed that the su...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sara R
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We went to the Grand Sunset Princess for two weeks in March 2013 with our two sons (4 year old and 10 months). Wonderful Resort. Very well maintained. Everything is clean and perfect (landscape, rooms, restaurants,beach,). Rooms are spacious and modern. (We had a deluxe junior suite) in bloc 2000 (good situation because in the middle of the resort but noisy in the afternoon since our balcony were in front of the main pool). If you have young children, I recommand to ask a room with the view facing outside the hotel.

The employees are very helpful. We had excellent services, especially at the Sunset snack where we had our breakfeast and lunch most of the time. A very special mention to Carmela and Jorge who were very helpful, polite and always smiling. They were very kind and attentive to our two little boys. We are going to miss them.

The beach is beautiful and clean. However, the sea is a bit rocky near the beach, but nothing to prevent swimming (unless you have mobility problems). The services on the beach is good. Vendors are not harrassing at all.

It is good to know that there are many différent sections on the beach. A large section is reserved for platinum. An other is reserved for adults only. So, if you are travelling with children, your option are reduced. We found a good place on the Riviera side where our kids could play in the shade. Also, we went at the Chill out that is beautiful (additional costs).

Pools and Jacuzzi are incredible; a lot of place for young children. We didn't try the kids club.

Buffet are good; quality and freshness of the food. However, variety of food could be a bit better. I had a better experience, as an example, in a Riu hotel (Riu Tequila few years ago).

Restaurants a la carte are very good. We tried French, Italien, Seafood and steakhouse. Always a good experience.

It is true that the resort is very very large. Personnally, I like it. We had a wondeful time at thios resort and we recommand it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank soph2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Mexico, and we read many reviews and did a lot of tedious research before deciding on a spot.
We wanted a resort that has a good REPUTATION, QUALITY, great ACCESSIBILITY(near airport and excursions), good ENTERTAINMENT and GREAT FOOD. All of these were important to us, because it was our 1st trip together, and since were a couple in our 25 we did not want a boring family resort.

Our first day in grand sunset princess, we were apprehensive because of all of the reviews we had read online and because of the size of the resort because its HUGE!

Let me tell you this was the best first vacation for me and my boyfriend. If you go to playa del carmen YOU HAVE TO GO TO THIS RESORT, rest were much more catered to an older crowd, if you want a good mix of FUN, ENTERTAINMENT, ACTIVITIES, and GREAT FOOD this is the spot for you.

LOCATION
I dont remember the exact amount of travel from the airport but it was very decent, as i usually get annoyed of long drives, this was a quick swift ride. This location is also great if you want the secludedness of a resort from busy touristy areas. This i have to say is perfect balance as the resorts were a good few kilometres away from each other, unlike cancun where every resort is within steps away. From this location your not too far from the ruins excursions and the touristy shopping areas (ill expand on that more in the excursion section of this review).

ROOMS
If your scared of a mouldy humid room, well your scare is absolutely valid, as this is a humid country depending on the time of year that you go, but not to worry if you find yourself in a damp/humid room, simply ask the staff to be moved they will move you the same day or definitely by next day. We had the same issue we stayed in the junior suite lower floor, but then got moved to partial ocean, closer to the beach and on the top level. NOTE- to avoid humidity as to be closer to water, as there is a constant breeze entering your room, and that area is cooler than other areas.

FOOD
an absolute delight. buffet was great, not an amazing option if you are a vegetarian like me, but my boyfriend had no complains in any meat/fish dishes. The sports bar right by the main entrance of the resort is great for hot dog/fries/nachos and chips, its open 24hrs, loaded with food, unlike other resorts i have been too, IF your hungry at any time go there for a good fix of food!
I would try to stay away from reserving different restaurants within the resort as most of them are bland, and they wont meet your expectations. only 2 that we loved were Japanese tapenyaki and the sushi bar (another asian restaurant). Rest were meh and bland.
You should definitely go out in town in the tourist area (there is only one closest to resort) to try some authentic mexican food away from the resort food. you'll easily spot restaurants everywhere in the area.

ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES
The nightly entertainment is great, the staff really works hard to entertain their guests, every night there is a new show, so be sure to enjoy it all. Once a week there is a market setup with local homemade goods, great time to pick up souvenirs, however there is a short room for bargain and i found those markets slightly more expensive than what is found outside in the real market, as there is more variety and much larger variety of different price points to shop with. also with the resort size, some ppl may fear commute from and back to their room everyday, if you walk it can get tedious as its very hot there, but theres a shuttle that is very frequent that takes you from anywhere or the resort to a spot you need to get to.

EXCURSIONS
The must do excursion is the RUINS/TEMPLES i suggest book a day trip make it full day the one i took was 12 hrs with rest included, they take you to all the ruins and a cenota (open freshwater pond) IT IS GORGEOUS, so mystical its a must see and they take you to actual villages and real civilization away from the city, and a meal is included.
Another great excursion is the zip lining at EXTREME adventure at Selvatica zip lining. This was by far the best ziplining experience EVER and you zipline from high every high heights of the trees, NOTE- dont zip line straight ask them to flip you upside down, that made it for me, an experience i have never experienced before. There is also a jump into the cenote after long hot day there to cool off. if you cant swim dont worry they give you life jackets. The staff was amazing so energetic and very fun and interactive, and you get a meal at the end it was amazing.

ALL IN ALL if you want a great couple getaway or even a family get away this resort is amazing and dont read too hard into the reviews as everyone is different and has different expectations. if your unhappy with mould or small things dont fret just ask the staff to accomodate you and they will. remember to TIP, that my tip of the day, it'll get you a great service and you'll make their day as well.ENJOYYYYYYYYYY

Room Tip: Get a room by the beach closer you are the cooler you'll be and less mouldy it'll be
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank shruti v
Ontario
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had a hard time between rating this resort an excellent or good. Nothing about it stood out to me to recommend this resort to friends or family so this is why I would rate it good. Our one week stay was nice with the 2 kids and we made it special, however the resort did not make it special, we did. I thought to write this review of my experience and opinion it is not discourage anyone from going.I hope it helps with some of your decisions of what to do and what not to do.
1.Book your a la cartes beside the sun wing office as soon as you get there. You can book only 3days in advance so if you only get 1 or 2 restaurants that first time ,go back the next day, get a drink at the lobby bar and book your nexta la cart.. I had no problem getting 6pm seatings to the 3 a la cartes of my choice, but I was there at 1:45 in line 2 days to get this. If I hadn't done this I would have had 9 pm sittings. The fondue was excellent, the Japanese was excellent and they didn't cook with the salt shakers like most resorts for show time so the food wasn't super salty. Stay far far away from the grill.horrible quality beef and poor presentation. We went to buffet after.Heard many,many great things about the Italian restaurant from other guests.
Buffets were great for breakfast and lunch but dinner was horrible. Cuba quality food in my opinion. So if you go having low expectations you will be just fine.
2. Beach was very hard to get loungers at, for this reason I would not return, I didn't get worked up about it we just grabbed 3 sparatic chairs after looking for 20 mins and grouped them together under some shade as the sun was way too hot! I've never seen the Caribbean sun so strong. We burnt with 60 strength sunscreen.Other guests weren't to impressed we were sitting so close with our newly found spot but honestly neither were we. If you are traveling with adults only as I wasn't, there is an adults only section free and the chill out for a cost, both of which I would recommend. Typically i would never pay for a beach chair but in this case at this resort i definitly would.Always a line at the beach bar, always a buffet available at beach, hotdogs,hamburgers,pallae, chips and guacamole. Tiring after 3 days but still good.Saw trumpet fish and other white schools of fish that people were feeding in the water. Yes there's rocks. They are big but smooth and we didn't need water shoes. Sand was beautiful as was the walk on the beach.vendors on the beach didn't bother me but really did take away from the view of the beach. Oh well... Youtube this resort if you don't understand there are accurate YouTube videos showing walk to the beach and the beach itself. I wish I had done this before I booked.
3. Rooms were always clean and bar always Fully stocked. I was very happy.
4. Service was something Incredible! If you have questions or need assistance with something the concierge are wonderful to deal with. I can't say more about this.
5. The resort doctor is not to be trusted. DoNOT go there ,there are other options like the 24 hr walk in clinic red cross in town. Or Id go to the local hosp to see a doctor before I trusted the resort doctor. I almost missed my flight home because she wanted her commission from the hosp by referring us there when after getting a second opinion at the red cross clinic we were completely safe to be traveling and not requiring surgery! You can pm me if you want the details.
Again concierge is wonderful and so is the manager. And a huge asset to the resort.
6 .Our towels were stolen while the kids were swimming in the pool. Again the concierge gave us 2 towels cards after hearing me. I never got angry or temperamental but this was frustrating, poor kids cried thinking they were going to get into trouble and have to pay 20 each for the towels.

If you've booked already, you will enjoy your stay. My review is simply some of the details of our experience. Nothing ruined the trip except for the incompetent resort doctor which hopefully you dont need to use.The resort is clean, friendly, huge, well lit, many bars, excellent service, soft sand. Food didn't give any tummy issues but was lacking quality and taste.

Cenotes are definitely something to see while there and going to town via taxi is a must. If you haven't gone snorkeling in Akumal ,write this down as I feel you haven't been to Mexico if you haven't seen akumal. Just google it :) YouTube it!
Oh, I forgot to mention currency. I brought pesos, Canadian and usd. I did not use Canadian as the currency exchanged transferred your money from can to pesos then usd. Cost 50 to get 200. The fees at the ATM were $5 plus $20 plus your home bank fee. Cost 30 per withdrawal. So, bring cash unless you are going to a bank in town. Everyone I noticed was using usd. If I was to do this again I would bring usd in many many small bills. And $100 ordered in 20 peso increments from local bank before I left. Food for thought.

Room Tip: Use chill out at beach 11 usd pp. Upgrade is worth it for free wifi unless your phone works in Mexic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,656 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,506 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,103 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!