“What more could you possibly ask for?”

and 1 more site!
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 22, 2013

First time writer - long time reader of these reviews. We thank all of the 'posters' for their previous submissions....

POSITIVES:

...resort grounds were just amazing and beautiful. When we showed up, we were in awe...
Large but not crazy big. About 10 mins from end to end if walking briskly; 15 mins if strolling. For those that complain about the size, well, the 10-15 mins might be too much or they just didn't get the 'Mexico' time part of the vacation...

Rooms were large and beautiful...very clean. We upgraded to Platinum and were happy that we did so. Liked the extras even though it took us awhile to truly take advantage of them. One stop shop with pools, couple of buffets, beach, Platimum lounge, premiun drinks, unlimited room service, unlimited a'la cartes, computers in lobby, Platinum conceirge, etc.

Staff was the overall highlight of the vacation and resort - always willing to say Hola, teach a new word, and smile. Nightly shows were entertaining - well worth the time; suitable for everyone!!!

Food was good. Not sure what folks are complaining about? We had dinner at the a' la cartes and they were funtastic...

Beach was great..something for everyone. Get over the vendors - they are just trying to make a living and they were never too pushy or a nuisance.

We did bring about 100 US $1 bills for tips (but ended up getting another $50 before the end of the week - for tips).. left a tip in the room (2 adults, a 14 yr. old boy and a 10 yr. old boy) as it was a bit of shambles every morning but pristine when we returned, $ for a round of drinks, $$ for the waiters at the a'la cartes, $ for the omelette lady, $ for room service, $ for general thanks as you muttle through the day and someone gave you a helping hand...

NEGATIVES:

None associated with the vacation, Sunwing or the Sunset Princess/Riviera (they are the same complex).

Great place...beautiful grounds, wonderful beach, food very good, excellent staff....

We would not hesitate to go back..

Don't sweat the small stuff, remember you are a guest in their country, tip the staff for good service and enjoy yourself.

Fawn and Vytas

Room Tip: go Platinum
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank vvvyyyttt
Write a ReviewReviews (9,503)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

It is a shame that the security is not better at the hotel! We had a great trip until our room was broken in to with a ROOM KEY ( I know that the door was not left open, I am OCD about checking locks). It happen 2 hours before leaving the hotel to go the airport. We were all packed up and left our bags in our room. We went to breakfast and come back to all of our bags ripped open and $2800.00 worth of items were taken. The food was great and beach were great. The Service was good until we called for security to come. It took 30mins for them to come. We waited to write this review hoping the hotel would be propt in handling this situation. We have not heard from the hotel :(

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lovesvacations13
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Yup, this place is big. My husband and I stayed March 12-19 and although the weather was not the greatest, we had a good time. So many reviews commented on how much walking there is. We haven't been able to walk outside for 5 months without a parka on, so we loved being able to walk the grounds day or night. We found the staff helpful and friendly. We have stayed at many other resorts and this one is just as comparable as the others.

Food/bars: We only ate at 2 a la carte restaurants, Miso and La Fondue because their reservation system stinks. Waiting in line at 1:30pm for an hour to only make one or two reservations was a waste of my sun time. Then you have to go back another day to schedule farther than 3 days out. This was by far the worst reservation schedule we have experienced. Miso's service was terrible, appetizer ok, soup ick, entree very good. La Fondue was a great experience -fun and tasty, great service and good food. For the most part, the buffet was really good. Not always hot, and I didn't like everything, but the rock lobsters were awesome! You can always find something good to eat. We didn't like that there were no restaurants or bars that were "open air" everything was enclosed. No bars with stools outside except for the lobby bars.

Pools: A little disappointed that there was only one pool that played any music. It's possible to have music and not be "the party pool". You could always find a spot by the pool or the ocean. Beach chairs were in abundance and yes, vendor huts were right in front, but 15 feet in either direction you had a great view from your chair.

Entertainment: The nightly entertainment shows were some of the best we have seen unfortunately it is in a large theater and not partially open air. It was nice sitting in the court yard between the buffets listening to live music.

Room Tip: I never recommend first floor--you get extra bugs. We were in 6201 close to the pools. Nice balcon...
3  Thank Lilly1278

Grand Sunset/Riviera Princess Resort

Our travelling stats are as follows...
Age: late 20’s ( travelling with another couple)
Time: March 7-15, 2013
Room: Deluxe Junior Suite, 2200’s
Airline: Sunwing

First note that I want to make is that the Grand Sunset Princess and the Grand Riviera Princess, although have two separate ratings on TripAdvisor, are actually one big resort – where amenities can be equally shared between its guests. Both resorts are mirror images of the other. The only time you may prefer to book the Grand Riviera is if you are considering the Deluxe Junior Swimout suites, as the Riviera side stays sunny the entire day, and the Princess side gets shady and therefore cool in the early afternoon.

SUNWING
We were not overly impressed by Sunwing’s customer service. If you are travelling with Sunwing, please ensure that you do not surpass your luggage weights (20kgs for checked-in luggage, and 5kg for your carry-on). Unfortunately we were 1kg over and had to pay a penalty of $20! My husband travels a lot and has never encountered such strict luggage check ins. From a customer service point of view, the attendant should have waived this fee. Thankfully, when returning from Mexico they were much more friendly and not as uptight.
Also, our flight was delayed by 1 hour for no apparent reason (this was not indicated on the website and therefore we had 4 hours to kill at the airport) Not the greatest start to our vacation...

Due to our delayed flight, and being the third stop from the airport, we arrived at the resort very late (about midnight). No one greeted us at the front desk, and worse yet there was only 1 person to check in 32 people! We got to bed at 2:30am! (remember our flight left Canada at 6:30pm). Made the best out of this situation and chatted with our fellow Canadians! **note: if your flight is as late as ours make sure you visit the 24hr sports bar – located below the main lobby – where you have access to a bar as well as some late night snacks**

GRAND SUNSET PRINCESS
The resort itself is stunning and well laid out! You will be surrounded by well-maintained grounds, marble floors, walkways lined with enormous palm trees and spacious high ceilings. There is a lot of greenery and foliage; it reminded me more of the Dominican than Mexico in that aspect. If you are elderly and have trouble walking, you may find the size of this resort inconvenient. Also, leave your heels at home, and bring a fancy pair of flip flops for the night-time because with the marble floors I didn’t even dare to venture out in any footwear that may cause me to fall.

ROOMS/DELUXE JUNIOUR SUITE/ 2200’S (3rd floor)
We were pleasantly surprised at how spacious and clean the room was, and we loved our amenities. The bathroom had a rainfall showerhead with good pressure and hot water. Also the hot tub was a treat after a day outside and we used ours almost every night. Then we would enjoy a drink on our balcony overlooking the main pool.
CON – the beds are not very comfortable and the pillows are lumpy and hard. The duvet is a cheap thin polyester overthrow and the sheets are scratchy.
CON – air conditioning is super loud and we found ourselves with an allergic reaction (stuffy nose, watery eyes and coughing) whenever it was on. Thankfully it was cool outside, so we just left the balcony door open for the remainder of the week.

BEACH
The beach is beautiful. Yes, there are vendors and masseuses trying to sell you their services, but a polite no and they would leave you alone. The sand is white and powdery, and the water turquoise blue. There are some rocks when you first walk into the water but I did not need to use my water shoes once this trip. It was easy to find chairs on the beach. Also there is a lot of shade for anyone who does not like to be out in the sun the entire time.
PROS – there are showers nearby
PROS – washrooms are nearby
PROS – snack shack was a great hit – a lot of yummy food, but the line ups can be a little too much at times.
PROS – anywhere you are on the beach, you are near a bar. Also, the servers make their way around the beach quite often (about 10-15times) and also ensure that you have a drink in your hand. They are friendly, quick, and do not expect a tip, however they are much appreciated and grateful if you do tip.
CONS – the loungers are out dated and old. They are not cushioned.
CONS – platinum area was roped off and it left a bad taste in our mouths when there is no sign saying this is for platinum guests – should be made more clear.
CONS – towels are poor quality and rough. We are glad we brought our own from home. These are the small reasons that I would not rate this hotel a 5 star, but more of a 4/4.5.

POOLS
-there are always loungers available! So many pools, and if you want to be close to the action than you need to wake up early to reserve your chair, otherwise some days we went out after 11am or later and had no problems finding 4 chairs for our group.

FOOD – overall the food was great. Again not 5 star quality but very good nonetheless. This resort has 9 a la carte restaurants. If you have the deluxe junior suite than you are entitled to at least 8 of them…and you can book one for every night. To book a restaurant, go to the Riviera lobby and compared to the sunset you will not have to wait.
BREAKFAST – not impressed, very average quality. They make it look like there is a lot more than there is by putting out 5 bowls of the same thing.
I do recommend the omelettes; they were delicious!

LUNCH BUFFETS
- We were very impressed by their selection of salads, veggies and greens! The food was fresh. Our favourite was the taco with guacamole and pico di gallo (soo yummy)
- Desserts were not the greatest, and like everyone else said they are in fact bland and gelatinous.

A LA CARTES – I will start with the not so great ones first…
Las Olas/ Seafood – awful, awful awful – don’t even bother. My ‘fresh fish’ was fishy smelly and old. I did not even finish one bite out of it. It was actually disgusting. Same goes for their ‘mousse’ dessert aka bland gelatin.

LA FONDUE – our dinner took 2.5 hours!! Our server was great and friendly, but he was the only one around. Finally the manager came and told us that 2 of his staff called out sick. We left the restaurant at 10:30pm and left very unimpressed.

MEXICAN – great flavor to the food, abundant, fast service. Great experience

ORIENTAL –our favourite! Great spring rolls, chicken teriyaki was yummy and the dessert was great as well.

TEPANAKI – another great one to try! The chef was interactive and fun and had us all go up and give our hand at the grill. The food portions (chicken, beef and fish) were very generous.

GRILL/STEAK – AMAZING FOOD! Try this one for sure.

MAMA MIA/ITALIAN - our favourite. Our server, Victor, was great. This restaurant had the best quality, flavor and overall experience. We especially liked the veal, cannelloni and tiramisu.

STAFF – super friendly, VERY HARDWORKING, and quick. Please ensure you tip your servers, waiters, bellboys etc! they all work so hard.
We also want to thank the following people for making our stay so pleasurable: America at front desk (great service – our friends flew in a day later and she accommodated us by switching their rooms closer to our building).
Pedro at La Fondue was fantastic!!
Victor at Mama Mia restaurant gave great service, was pleasant.
Manager at the Grill restaurant for taking care of us ☺
Benjamin at the swim up bar made the BEST drinks the whole trip.
Ramone – from our Mayan Adventure trip. You rock!!

DRINKS TO TRY – mojitos (they crushed mint and limes!), the Mango Tango, pina colada, coco loco, mudslides with baileys instead of Kahlua, and gin and tonics with extra limes and extra gin!

TIPS
–bring $1american bills, the staff cannot exchange Canadian coins in mexico.
–Bring a bubba mug from walmart or Canadian tire (about $15) and this will keep your drinks cool for hours!
–Bring your own alarm clock/watch
–Bring your own kleenex

In conclusion, we would definitely recommend this resort to our family and friends – especially for the value!
TOP REASONS WHY – great rooms, beautiful grounds, unlimited a la carte restaurants, choices of pools, never felt crowded (even though we were there at march break) and we did the Mayan Adventure (saw the pyramid at Coba, kayaked, ziplined and rappelled into a dry cenote. This cost $130pp and was worth every penny!!)

THEIR GREATEST OPPORTUNITIES – the 2 restaurants Las Ola/Seafood and La fondue, sunwing’s strict luggage policy and the check in was weak

Enjoy your time in mexico!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 2200's are in the middle of the resort - quick access to the beach as well as the l...
7  Thank Ola H
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at your resort for a week and we loved every moment of it,no complaints.One incident happen when I left my hotel room for the day,I forgot to lock my security box where my passport,money...was.The lady that clean my room saw my box was unlock and report it to the manager and had them look it for me.I want to thank your staff for being honest
and caring.I will return again in the future.Your accomadation and food was beyond excellent.I
was very happy with the overall resort.I recommend this resort .''.5 start ''.

4  Thank Linh N
Reviewed March 21, 2013

May 2012 myself and a group of 29 family and friends travelled to the Grand Sunset.

Before actually getting to the resort I was in contact with the wedding planner Emma. She was very efficient with emails and understanding my wedding desires.

Upon arrival to the resort my future husband and I were upgraded to a deluxe suite. Upon entering the room there was a bottle of tequila and fresh fruit. The Best man and his wife upgraded their room to the adult only section. We ventured over there to do some wedding photos and the rooms where lovely and nice not to have the children in the pool!

The resort grounds where beautiful and well maintained. Our room was fabulous, however one of our guests had some issues with there shower but I believe it was resolved.

Food was great. A nice variety During our stay we had wedding dinner at The GRILL Restaurant we enjoyed a monster steak and baked potato along with other sides and appetizers. Other nights we also went to the Asian and the Fondue Restaurant. I recommended all the restaurants!

The food in the buffet was great. Don't expect to get bacon everyday! :)

The activities were kept to the one pool. We would always spend the morning at the beach. There was a beach bar and only one poor server doing the beach. We would give her a nice tip and rarely would we have to get our own drinks in the day. They had a beach BBQ everyday. the usual Burgers hot dogs and Guac! They always had a few other surprises. In the afternoon we would head up to a pool that had a bar in it and would stay there still sundown!

There is a massage hut on the beach! I went for a massage (Being 5 months preggo it wasn't the most enjoyable compared to my massages in ONT) however was very nice and relaxing and a fair price compared to the resort!

My MOH (Maid of honour) and myself got our hair done in the spa. Beautiful updo and lasted for a TTD (Trash the Dress) session the next day! The price was reasonable at $70. Would probably spent that in ONT too.

The cost of the wedding was reasonable as well however you have to pay extra for extra dinner guests!

As a group we had done a couple of excursions through Sunwing. Again being Preggo I wasn't able to do everything on the Excursions.

A Small group of 8 went to Playa Del Carmen on the last day. We took the taxi that the resort recommends and we made arrangements with the gentlemen to pick us up in the same spot on the way home. We shopped in the touristy area and also got to eat at McDonald's!

The location is great 15-20 to Playa and only 45 min from Cancun. Nice short bus trip. For the wedding we had a private bus to take us to and from the resort. we drank all his beer so we asked him to stop at a store and we bought 40 Corona Cans for less then $40. Very nice of them!

The trip was on the more expensive side but you get what you pay for! and I felt we got alot!

I defiantly recommend this resort!

My family loved it so much they returned in NOV 2012 and a group of 15 are going back in MAY 2013!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ShebaKong
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very clean rooms and grounds. Staff were so nice and gracious. Perfect for a couple, families or friends getting away. Felt very safe on the resort and on the beach around the resort. The food was ok - buffets were good - a la carte were not so good...but our standards are pretty high. No mold or mold smell in our room.

Cement near the pools is very slippery. My husband fell once and we witnessed a few other falls too.

Drinks aren't watered down which is also nice!

3  Thank GrahamCrunch