“Not So Perfect Vacation” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #72 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Brunswick Canada
“Not So Perfect Vacation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Pros: Beautiful resort, great sand, BBQ at beach, most of the staff were great, onsite resort transportation, French restaurant
Cons: Cockroaches, bug, Platinum concierge not that helpful, watered down wine, deserts that were pretty but no taste, free ride to Playa del Carmen access, at check-in all we received was a map and room keys, food was edible but not very good, guacamole was disappointing, Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when they left the room, Platinum pool seats were usually taken, shallow beach, scratchy sheets
February 24- March 3, 2013
Day 1 Sunday
Arrived at GSP checked in we got our keys and a map. No details on activities. Everything looks beautiful, went to the buffet not so great. (Room 4016) We had requested a king bed got 2 doubles instead, the duvet cover had a stain as well as stains on the bed skirt, and there was a dirty piece of Suran Wrap on the floor and only 1 robe in the room. We went to the Platinum concierge desk asked for a king bed we were told there aren't any available. After pushing for one they said we they would put us on "the list". They sent someone over to push the beds together, asked if we could have king size pillows they didn't come even though Platinum is suppose to have a pillow menu. We thought no big deal let's make the best of this, killed a few Mosquitoes and another 1/2 dozen of a small flies in the room and went to dinner at the French restaurant. The food was so much better than he buffet we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Day 2 Monday
Got up went to the washroom and had a run in with a cockroach, approx 1.5 inches long. Not impressed! Put the dead roach in a glass to take to the concierge because I have never seen a roach and wanted confirmation. Before we could leave I spotted a smaller cockroach! We maimed it and took it to the concierge. He took the glass quickly and put it under the desk and confirmed that yes theses are cockroaches. " they are very common in Mexico" and acted like it is no big deal. I told him I thought this is unacceptable and at the very least they need to fumigate the room. He assured me that they would have it fumigated that day. When 9:30pm, 12 hours after my roach encounter, rolled around we visited the platinum concierge and stated nothing had been done and again this is not acceptable. They put our name on a list and asked when we want the room to be fumigated we responded 9:30 am because we would be going to bed shortly. Asked about pillow again. Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when they left. Didn’t sleep much cucarachas on my mind.
Day 3 Tuesday
We spoke to the Sunwing representative explained about the roaches. She thought it was unacceptable and would see if she could help. When we went back to the room to change on our way out we spotted another roach, that makes 3 roaches. My husband killed it and as we were about to leave the housecleaning was at the door we showed her the roach she said, "Oh, la Cucaracha". She wasn't impressed ad quickly put la Cucaracha in the garbage bag. In one of the sinks there were many little worms coming out of the drain. I rinsed them down however within an hour there were more worms. We went to the platinum concierge desk and explained our frustration. I think he had a better respect for my anger and said he would change our room, "come see him at 4:00pm". We called at 4:00 he said he will call us in 5 minutes. 15 minutes later my husband called him. The concierge said I will call you. Eventually we got a different room, room 4223. We spent a too much vacation time checking through our belongings to make sure we didn’t bring cockroaches to the new room, packing and waiting for the new room. Sunwing called to see how we liked the new room I let them know we were in the room 10 minutes, so far so good. Well before we knew it we had to call for assistance the toilet wouldn't flush. They did send someone within 30 minutes to fix the toilet. And another good thing is the 2nd room is the balcony is more private and we are more inclined to use the tub. The TV visual was very poor we asked that it was corrected and the TV was replaced. Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when the left.
Day 4 Wednesday
Spent the day at the beach. It was nice to have the snack bar close so we didn't have to leave the beach. There was a pack of coati mundi we watched one jump on a lounger beside a guest eating and it stole a hamburger. Went into Playa Del Carmen to Alux Restaurant. It was AWSOME!
Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when they left.
Day 5 Thursday
Did an excursion. We were up early and left the room before 7am, forgot to leave tips for housekeeping and the mini bar. I don’t know if it was a coincidence or if not leaving a tip was noticed because they didn't leave fresh face clothes, hand towels and the mini bar had not been replenished. Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when they left. We went to the "Special Platinum Buffet" not special at all, make reservations at an a la carte. TV wasn't working the volume wouldn't turn down they came and replaced the remote. It is raining so we thought we would get a DVD, they had 8 and maybe 6 were English none of the DVD’s were from the past two years.
Went to talk with a manager Jose V. He listened to what our experience had been and wrote down some details, apologized and asked how we could make our stay better. We weren’t asking for anything he offered that if we came back he would have us upgraded to the best. We said we didn’t plan on coming back, he asked if we wanted any spa treatments. The next day we were surprised with turn down service something that we had once in our stay and we were suppose to receive nightly we also were treated to and a bottle of champagne and a plate of sweets. We thanked Jose and asked if we could have the spa treatment I had earlier in the week removed from the room charge. He said he would do what he could; when we left it was off our bill.
Day 6
Relaxing on the beach it is nice that there is a BBQ at the beach so you don’t have to leave for lunch. The concierge Vergonia acted friendly towards us for the first time. Up to that point she seemed to be in a hurry with us every time we went to her with valid concerns or requests. Had a photo shoot with Gulia she works for the photo shop she did a great job. The resort is beautiful. Cleaning staff didn't lock patio door when they left.
Day 7
We took our time packing and getting ready to leave. Jose V had arranged a late check out for us which was really nice to have we weren’t leaving the resort until 3pm.

Room Tip: Room 4016 has cockroaches. Room 4223 was much better toilet didn't work very good. balcony loo...
4 Thank luvtravell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I debated whether or not to post a review, but since the resort encourages it upon checkout, I decided to write one. Sorry for the long review but I didn’t want to leave out any of the good or bad, especially since I think I read EVERY review before we went and seriously wondered if those that had complaints were just “spoiled” or “whiney.” I’m so sad that I now have some of those same complaints. I tried to email the resort several times before we left and never got a response, I am wondering if a better email system might help prevent issues like we had!
We travelled with Sunwing – flights were on time (rare, for sure!) and we got to the hotel smoothly. We headed to the platinum/villa counter to be checked in and the man started to check us in (but spent several minutes at a time on the phone with very little focus on us), and asked me for my wrist to put a red/orange wristband on – this is when I realized something was wrong. They had our name spelled incorrectly on the paperwork and had us booked in a junior room, with no record of us booking a laguna villa (except our tickets from Sunwing). We stopped and explained and he went away for 15-20 minutes, came back, checked a few things on the computer, and disappeared again. We were still in our plane clothes, struggling with luggage, and hadn’t been able to get a drink, etc., even though champagne was being served around us. He came back and asked us to go have a seat and wait. And wait we did… finally another concierge came over and let us know that we would have to stay in the junior room for two nights before we could have our villa. I got pretty emotional at this point after being awake for two days and having my heart set on the villa. We agreed since we didn’t know what else to do, and they said we could have a VIP bracelet for access to the spa and chill out for free for the entire length of our stay (used chill out, but didn’t do the spa circuit at all). We met at least five other couples during our stay for whom a similar situation occurred as the resort was at full capacity with a few rooms down for maintenance. I asked for a key card for the villa area and was told that we would have to walk through the spa to access the villa pool. After completing the check in we asked for help with our luggage but couldn’t get an answer except to be told where the elevator was. So we trekked across the resort at dusk with no clue where we were going until we found our room up two flights of stairs. We were called at our room and offered reservations anywhere for dinner, but we were so exhausted and upset that we just said we would go to a buffet. It was oriental night at the buffet and what a mistake – we were worried that food was going to be like that all week (and we are NOT picky eaters!). Went back to our room and crashed (though the junior suite was a really nice room) until the next morning when we went to our Sunwing presentation and to talk to our representative, Chris, about the situation. Chris was great and got on the phone and started the ball rolling on fixing things. We were taken into the main concierge room, spoke to a few different people, made our reservations for the entire week for food (after being told by the concierge in the platinum lounge that we weren’t able to do this!), booked our free massages and booked a shuttle into Playa del Carmen. Then we met GINA! And she was amazing. Offered us a room upgrade to the Master Suite and a card for the villa area. Alejandro from the Villa concierge also came and introduced himself and that was really appreciated. Every day he saw us and remembered our names and asked if we needed anything – absolutely great service!! My husband was hesitant at first to accept the upgrade because he knew I had my heart set on a villa, but it was an absolutely amazing room. We booked Sunset but our new room was on the Riviera Side, so we experienced both sides (buffets, lounges, lobbies, etc).
Food/Drinks:
We ate dinners at the fondue, Mexican, grill, Italian (x2), and oriental cooking show. Thankfully were able to secure 7:15-8:15 reservations every night. Service and food were just okay at the Mexican (but get the cream soup with chicken and corn – SO good) and the Grill (chicken was great)– hard to get drinks, very noisy, waiters seemed upset when we had questions about the menu, but was much better at the fondue, oriental, and especially Heraldo at the Italian. We went two nights in a row and he remembered us, kept our drinks filled, and brought us different things to try. Angel at the Oriental was great as well. The best dinner we had was at the Italian – bruschetta, caprese salad, chicken parmesan, and ice cream with fruit. We ordered the same things both nights that we went, although my husband had pasta as his side dish instead of ratatouille and potatoes the second night.
Breakfast and lunch were good at all the buffets and at the grill on the beach. Tried room service breakfast and lunch – lunch was better than breakfast, but was over an hour both times, at which point we should have just walked to a buffet. Chocolate cake was the best. Most buffet meals we got very little service, a bit better at the platinum buffets some days. When we had good service we tipped well because we were so thankful!
Definitely felt a lot of pressure to tip, and noticed the service go downhill when we didn’t, especially at Chill Out – when one day the waiter going around with the food just completely ignored us. Also really hard to get a bed there, we were refused both days and saw one man arguing for 10 minutes until finally he just sat down on it until they left). My husband had to sign for a few drinks (whiskey and brandy) at the main bars, but overall was easy to get top shelf liquor IF you asked for it.
Wine was HORRIBLE, definitely stick to champagne (Kir Royales or Mimosas with grapefruit juice were my favourites). Mojitos, margaritas, and most other mixed drinks that I tried were great. Loved the snake bite shots too.
Pool/Beach
Loved the Laguna Pool, although it was mostly too cold to swim. Lots of nice people, good service, and good music. Go early if you want a bed though, I walked from our room (10 min each way, no big deal) in the mornings around 6:30am and usually got one, although not always the one I wanted.
We spent two days at the Chill Out on the beach and really enjoyed it. Quiet with good music and drink service. Walked up to the grill for lunch both days. The chicken wings, burgers, and nachos were great there! Enjoyed swimming in the ocean (just watch for dark spots) and walking on the beach.
Misc
We were a bit frustrated that our first full day was spent in the lobby but we were happy things were resolved. I’m glad we booked 8 days though, since we essentially lost our first and second day and our travel day to come back home. It was especially disappointing though as the weather turned very cold after our third day and was cold and rainy for the rest of our week. Still had a great time bundled up around the Villa Pool though (and I was even brave enough to jump in a couple times).
Never had any problems with our safe or theft, but we were very careful not to leave anything out in our room. There was a dehumidifier in our room that I was personally emptying two/three times a day, and it would wake us up beeping in the night – finally I just unplugged it and the maid never plugged it back in.
After five days in our room we had to ask the platinum concierge to get our minibar refilled as we had run out of water and some soft drinks (the tip was never taken the whole week from the fridge) and the maid rarely left towel animals, etc. We hadn’t budgeted for tips for such an amazing suite.
We took the trams at night for dinner – some nights we had to wait for the next one because so many others were doing the same. Maybe they could increase the service or capacity? I KNOW I’m on vacation and can walk (and did… in fact didn’t gain any weight on vacation!), but at night, in nicer shoes, I was so afraid of falling on the marble that it wasn’t worth the risk. We saw at least 4 people seriously fall while we were there.
Our hottub needed service one night and the concierge sent someone right away. It was dark but he worked for almost half an hour and got it fixed, made conversation with my husband the best he could, and really deserved his tip. I didn’t expect it to be fixed until morning, so that was nice.
There were days when we saw room service sit in the halls for 12+ hours, and saw coaties in the halls stealing food – maybe there is a better way to deal with those trays?
Resort is GORGEOUS and yes, huge. Very clean for the most part (in fact half of the times I went to use the lobby restroom it was being cleaned).
The Platinum perks were definitely worth it for us (although wouldn’t have used the platinum pool if I was in a plat. room – it was really small and crowded), especially for the Internet, top shelf drinks (crème de cassis and Chivas), access to preferred dinner reservations, platinum lounge near our room, etc.
Enjoyed the bands in the courtyard two nights but that was the only entertainment we took in. We pretty much just held down lounge chairs from 8-6 every day. We went into Playa on the shuttle (very uncomfortably) one morning early in our trip but it was SO hot we only lasted an hour and had to get back and get to the beach.
Check out was a breeze and we managed to get our bags moved from our room to the lobby, which was greatly appreciated.
I really wanted to love this resort, but our experience just fell flat, despite some really positive aspects (rooms, pools, beach, etc). We would return to a villa laguna again for a second chance (if our room was guaranteed!) or to a regular platinum room or even non-platinum IF we were with a group of friends and got a good deal.

5 Thank Lianne S
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

First off.. not sure why there are so many positive reviews about this resort.. I am guessing if you travel a lot and visit a lot more resort,you may look at this resort a lot differently. I am fortunate to have visit many many resorts over the years and I do value certain attributes which this resort lacked. I have read reviews before my trip regarding Sunwing's horrible service.. Unfortunately, I would have to agree.. we were delayed going and coming back for no reason.. i understand things happen, but they straight up lie to you for the reasoning of the delay.. (when they actually tell you anything). The Sunwing reps at the hotel were extremely rude to us because we did not speak French. ( This was obvious to a couple English speaking guest). Sunwing if you are reading this.. I am sure nothing will change, but don’t be surprise if you go bankrupt sometime in the future.. we all know it will happen.
The hotel itself was very lovely. Very clean and looked after. Gardner’s and cleaning staff are doing a fantastic job! We enjoy walking, so we had no issues with the size of the resort ( we actually have stayed at bigger resorts). Food at this resort was good, no complaints really except the a la carte system to book reservation is by far the worst I have seen… There definitely needs to be an improvement here. we had issues with upgrading as same as a previous review. The front counter WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!! . All they did was give you the run around… staff at the bars and the buffet/ restaurants were very nice.. the front counter staff were by fair very disappointing. If you have enjoyed Cuba beaches.. you will hate the beach here.. or lack of.. if you walk left or right, the beach area seems nicer, but if you like some space on the beach you will not like this resort beach area. This resort is majority family’s or couples.. Americans.. there is about 80% Canadians who go to this resort and Canadians out of the 80%, 70% are French speaking Canadian.. I think this speaks volumes for those who know what I am talking about!!!!! last but certain not lease. There is absolutely no culture at this resort!!! I did not feel I was in Mexico half the time.. I really missed the Spanish.. most of the entertainment/ shows was in English.. The bands and the female singer were amazing.. however, they need to sing more in Spanish.. if you love coulter, go to Cuba, not here.. this hotel may be for some.. but not for us! go to Play Del Carmen... it was worth it. or stay at one of the hotels in Playa..

Room Tip: if you are unable to get a villa or Platinum... try and book a swim up. if you like to party. reques...
4 Thank Britney M
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled here from February 18th 2013 to February 25th 2013 and it was amazing! The service is great, food is excellent, beach is beautiful and the pools are awesome. We got a free upgrade on our room so instead of the junior suite we got a deluxe junior and it was amazing!
The only thing we had trouble with was when we first arrived, some bell boys at the front offered to take our luggage and said to just call from our room when we needed it. we had to call 3 times and wait over an hour to receive our bags to our room so i would suggest maybe just taking your own luggage.
the a la carte restaurants are phenomenal. We tried Meixcan, the Grill, Italian, Swiss and the Japanese cooking show and they were all amazing. However you have to make reservations a day ahead of time and bookings start at 2pm so get there early to get a good spot in line (sometimes we waited an hour in line). but if you don't want the a la carte, the buffet is also really good, there are different foods every night and its all delicious. the sports bar is always open and the food there is really good too.
the beach is wonderful! there are rocks in the water like other reviewers said, BUT all you have to do is find a patch without rocks and the water and sand is amazing and so warm! the service is really good and the staff is always smiling and saying hello. they are so hardworking always doing landscaping and other things to keep the grounds immaculate.
the entertainment pool was the one we always went to as it was right in front of our room and the music and games were a lot of fun. but if you like a more relaxing setting there are pools without music and games and they are nice to lay by. HOWEVER make sure you get up super early to reserve chairs by the pool! (and the beach) my boyfriend was up at 6 every day to go put our towels on chairs because by 8 or 9 they are all reserved.
the cement does get slippery when wet so be careful walking but the staff is always out and about squeeging away the water as much as they can.
the theatre performances were amazing and so entertaining. They are only an hour long but its the same people performing for that hour so i wouldn't expect them to go much longer.
As for excursions off the resort we made one from the guys on the beach (hesitant at first) but it turned out wonderful! the day we were supposed to go we couldn't because my boyfriend was sick and they came the next day no problem and no fuss. but you can also book trips in the lobby through sunwing and other agencies. (we went to the caves underground and it was amazing! highly recommended)
overall i would HIGHLY RECCOMMEND this resort! it is beautiful, staff and service are wonderful and the food is amazing. it was our first time in mexico and i will definitely go back.
A+++!!

1 Thank kc0017
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This resort is very lovely, the grounds are so pretty, the lobby is a nice place for relaxing in the evening (bar right there, with waitress)There is a live band at 8pm, followed by shows at 9 or 9:30pm (only saw 1 show so can't comment on quality) Our rooms were great, large with a nice bathrooms, and very clean. The pools were beautiful too( except they should have more shade for the amount of loungers. )The beach although nice was not my favourite ...the rocks everyone has mention are not that bad you can see them (easily avoided,) I didn't care for the vendors right in the middle of the beach close to the water (but you just have to move to either side of them ) Maybe it was the way the loungers were crowed together or maybe it was because there was so many people it just wasn't a very pretty beach to me. Even from in the ocean looking at the beach it looked so cramped, but you could walk a long way in both directions so that was a plus. The food was o.k , buffet food was usually cold or luke warm, not a lot of cooked vegetables, or fish .( The cold salad bar was good) ) Steak house restaurant was very good, the Mexican.. again just o.k . (You won't go hungry ) Reservation system for a la cartes was the worst we have encountered,you couldn't book for the whole week at once - you can only book two days in advance, and only after 2pm (line ups) The staff were friendly and the service was wonderful , We had a great time small gliches but nothing to stop you from having a lovely vacation. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank 2happytravellers33
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our family of four was very pleased with our choice. On the web the images the resort looked that it was set right in the water. But upon arrival we found photos with plenty of grounds to walk plus a beautiful beach. Everyone can find what they are looking for at this resort: quiet or noisy, swimming across multiple pools or just walking beautiful grounds. The resort is big enough and has lots to offer to accommodate everyone needs and interests.
Indeed this resort has a lot of swimming pools, fountains, decorative pools and even swim out rooms. But it also has plenty of well groomed beautiful grounds that you can walk when not taking a cart-train and plenty of rooms located right on the ground. There are also second and third floor rooms. White send beach is isolated from the resort by the mangrove bushes and to get there you use a small bridge. We found variety of wild life on the premises, birds, iguanas, turtles, hurons, pelicans, lemurs and even alligator (secured behind the fence). The ocean waters were not too calm, but good enough to swim. It's shallow, but no rocks, no seaweed (the beach just south from there is rocky with lot's of seaweed). There is general area for everyone on the beach, adult only (not a nudity) area for those who want quiet and a chill-out area for platinum rooms residents or those who want to pay a little extra and get their drinks served to them right on the beach while listening to Enigma.
Hotel has a lot to offer, besides plenty of restaurants and a variety of food it has an excellent entertainment and offers domestic and brand names alcohol drinks. For children there is a mini club, and throughout day activities. A highlight of the day for our daughter was a mini-disco. For adults there are beach volleyball, soccer, football and we discovered last day there is tennis were they will supply you with rockets and an instructor.
We noticed many couples with and without children of all age groups. Definitely would recommend to my friends!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank NHECCA
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was by far the best all inclusive we have ever stayed at. ALL staff were so friendly and willing to go out of their way to help. We stayed in the villas where the service was top notch. Your glass was never empty. And always with a smile. Our concierge "Alijandro" was what made this trip special for us. No matter what the question or request he always assisted with a smile on his face and it was usually fixed or reserved with a handshake and a smile on his face all within 5 minutes of asking. Resort is huge but is nice walk in the evenings. The beach butler was also fantastic. Always so prompt and smiling all the time. Food was great. I cant stress enough about how friendly all the staff were. They are what can make or break a resort!!!

7 Thank taster1969
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,756 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,359 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!