“Fun Times!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Danville, California
“Fun Times!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

It is easy to find fault with a hotel facility as large as this. Overall the stay we enjoyed the week of Feb 16-23/2013 was really nice. Really nicely kept grounds, pools, and the entertainment was fun. The staff was polite and profesional. the buffet was ok for breakfast, we ate at the ala cartes for dinner and all provided a nice evening out especialy the Japanese.
Like many visitors, the beach set up with the vendors along the shore was not a great thing, but the water and the experience at the beach was fun.
A few dollar tip can go a long way in these resorts, it can help you get the things you need.
We would come back without hesitation.

9 Thank Corvette Paul s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,409)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent a week at this wonderful resort and would certainly do it again. It is like a cruise ship with out being on a boat. The food is wonderful and plenty of it, choices are good and displayed very well. The swim up bars (4) are real fun, Alfredo was the best! Great rooms, I would upgrade one to take advantage of all the ala carte restaurants. The service and staff are very friendly and helpful. Just do it!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Upgrade to take advantage of the ala carte restaurants. All things are quite...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rick K
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Myself, fiance and parents stayed here the week of Feb. 16th.

Rooms: We stayed in the deluxe junior suites and the rooms were amazing spacious and clean. The king size bed was comfortable enough but the pillows definitely sucked. The fridge was always stocked with beer, water and soft drinks. Jacuzzi worked well. The floors are marble and become quite slippery when wet.

Pools: were always clean and there are plenty of them so finding a place to relax shouldn't be an issue. Bar service around the pools was amazing and the waitress was always quick with the orders (sometimes to good ;-) ). Again floors in the washrooms near the pools are marble and very slippery.

Beach: Only spent part of one day but beach was impressive it was not as rocky as I had heard and did not need water shoes. There was a little bbq stand with hotdogs, Hamburgers and nachos for those who are hungry. Walk to
He left or right from the main entrance to avoid the vendors.

Food: Never had a chance to eat at the ala cartes as we could only get a reservation for 930 or later. The buffet was hit and miss, and it seemed to get worse as week went along. Food was often cold and I often found some parts from supper would be re-served for breakfast or lunch the next day. Vanilla ice cream was delicious and the omelette station was awesome.

Entertainment: from a miriachi band to a rock band the music was surprisingly good. There was a fashion show, fire show, and an open air market. There are also theatrical shows every night but we never made it to one.

Grounds: absolutely immaculate.

Staff: Very professional and courteous and always polite. Always saying hola.

Again beautiful resort with bad food.

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Scott R
Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been to Mexico so many times and I've never been disappointed till now. The buffet food was just OK the drinks were watered down and the pina colada's were very artificial tasting. Our first room was very smelly and musty so we moved the next day and it was better. No problems changing rooms. The grounds are beautiful and emmaculately kept. The staff are very friendly and helpful. All in all it was a good vacation however it is unlikely I would ever stay at this particular resort again. I found the food and drinks lacking and there was no nice bar to sit in and have a quite evening drink. The rooms are all very far from the beach unless you book platinium which we tried to do but were sold out. Try the Now Sapphire intstead. Oh and I got a massage at the spa and I don't think the therapist was qualified. She didn't seem to know what she was doing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sunny Sally
London

I have been to Mexico several times including China, Bora Bora, Moorea,
nine cruises and many other places so I feel I know travel in a five star resort which this is NOT!

The grounds are beautiful but there are 4,000 people there and we must of walked miles going from our room to the beach or dinner. The trolley did not come very often and there was never enough room to take everyone waiting. To go to the specialty restaurants you have to line up to make reservations. This is long and slow and you can only book three days and then you must go back and stand in line again to book other restaurants. The food was poor a lot of deep fryed and the meat was like shoe leather. If you like tasteless food and full of grease this is a resort for you.

Our bathroom mirror's were so dirty, the tub disgusting and had a stopper that was broken. I called and reported this and even after a week it was still not fixed or mirror's cleaned. The shower flooded everday and we had ants on the counter.

The air conditioning did not work properly and when they finally fixed it, it was very loud. I did not have an iron so I called to get one and it did not work. I again phoned and they sent me another iron and it was broken as well.The trim around the patio door was falling off and the beds hard and uncomfortable. The pillows were so old and flat we could not use them nor did we want to. The caulking all around the patio door was falling off.

I cannot tell you how much walking you will do because you will not believe me. We were half way between the beach and the hotel and still it was crazy. All you do is walk and stand in line for reservations. The resort asked me what they could do for us but of course we were leaving the next day. To get to the tennis courts it was so far away no one used them.

When I told them I was going to put a review on line about the resort I was told they had nothing to say then. After a week of complaining about the filth of the room nothing was ever done.

The resort says they have free shutte service to Playa but this is a joke. You have to make reservatons 24 hours in advance and the shuttle only goes there at 10:30 a.m. or noon and returns to the Princess at 5:00 p.m.
Often the small shuttle is full and you cannot get on it. Just imagine the resort has 4,000 guests and one small shuttle you do the math.

Our lights in the room had a couple burnt out and never were fixed.

A large plaster moulding fell of and smashed outside our room and the mess was there two days after.

The pools were well taken care of and the property itself. It is difficult to walk around the pool area after you have been in the pool because the cement is very slippery many people wiped out.

When you go to the beach there are several booths set up selling massages, trips etc. which were right in front of the ocean so you could not see it in many places. The ocean was very rough and when you try to get out of it there are stones which hurt your feet and make it very difficult to get out. The best beach is in Playa, soft powdery white sand and the ocean beautiful. If you go chairs and umbrella's are at a cost.

All I can do is put down the things that happened and leave the rest up to you. I left the resort feeling the grounds were fantastic but the food, room and time left walking was terrible. Please if you like grease, filth,
walking forever in the heat, this is for you. And please note you can get one beach towel each and when you check out to leave if you leave the towels in your room you will be charged $40 a towel. And if you lose your
room key it cost $100 and the wrist band for all inclusive is a $100 if you lose that. When you get on the bus to leave you must line up with your
luggage and wait until they call your name to board the bus. This was long and silly it took them 45 minutes to do that.

They do not provide room service and they have one small elevator which was in our building so a lot of people went there to use it.

The people in Mexico were lovely and very nice. But, having said that the resort is not good please do not waste your money. At the office counter we were told that the staff make $20.00 a day and some people make none just tips while other's get $4.00 a day. It was truly sad to hear that!

The Princess Resort was truly a three star resort let's be honest. I have had better food at McDonald's! Be prepared to tip a lot because it cost $4.00 per person per day for the maid. Then you tip for every restaurant at least $8.00 for two people. Then the trolley you tip for that and you tip for many other things like drinks etc.

The resort was just too large and most people said they would not return that it was a waste of money. The food was not good they spent as little as possible to feed people and it showed. Healthy food is expensive to provide 4,000 people and the fruit they had was not good. The pineapple
was not ripe, the desserts were terrible and tasted bad. I am not sure why they called it cheese cake because it tasted nothing like one. All the desserts were bad tasting. We were told that all food is made elsewhere and brought in so it is not made fresh on site. Bring Off for bites because my daughter was bitten several times.

15 Thank Pepper9209
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have staid... for 24 hours at this hotel mid-February 2013. This was an unbeareable experience. The staff is not honest and does not give good information about the hotel. Before to go I have called and asked many information. During my stay, I realized that absolutely nothing about the information I received was true. I had to wait for 3 hours in the lobby to get our room... and we did not get the room we have reserved because the hotel was overbooked. The complex of the hotel is very large... so large that you always to spend 20 minutes walking to go anywhere: 20 minutes to reach the restaurants and main lobby; 20 minutes to go to the beach; 20 minutes to reach the spa. The only think that this was very good was to find 12 pools on the site, most of them very well located and never far from whereever you are. This is the only reason why I did not give the note of 1 rather than 2. Food is very oridnary and not well presented. After one day of being in the miserable hotel we decided to move to a real five stars hotel. I have read a lot of review concerning the hotel before to reserve, both in English and in French. Many of them were complaining and I have also read a review saying do not consider for all these complains that this was an excellent hotel. This is why i decided to reserve at the hotel, thinking that travelers expectations about were probably too high... Mistake! All complaints are well founded and I cannot give you a better advise than avoid this hotel at any prize... even for a free stay!!!! i have drafted more than 100 differents reviews on Trip Advisoir and if you look at my record you will see that almost all of them are very positive. so i am not a person who complains for nothing... but this time I do not have any choice to say Go somewhere else, you will not do a mistake choosing another hotel. Believe me !

Room Tip: Do not spend money for a villa. Do not spend money for a Yucatan executive room. The VIP rooms givin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Paul-Claude33
red deer
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from this resort , grounds and pools are beautiful , clean rooms , a bit musky smelling, the food was the only issue , no stomach problems just, tasteless and poor quality meat and desserts , same food every day , for this reason I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Pick a central location , on the upper floor .
2 Thank carol s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#54 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!