Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
  • Pool
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$338
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$413
$347
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$761
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$480
$472
$701
$450
9,909 results
All reviewssports barfondueriviera sideplatinum sectiona la cartesmama miaplatinum loungesunset buffetlas olasplatinum packagedeluxe junior suitele fleurchill out barcooking showwater shoesprivate poolseafood

I have been to Mexico several times including China, Bora Bora, Moorea,
nine cruises and many other places so I feel I know travel in a five star resort which this is NOT!

The grounds are beautiful but there are 4,000 people there and we must of walked miles going from our room to the beach or dinner. The trolley did not come very often and there was never enough room to take everyone waiting. To go to the specialty restaurants you have to line up to make reservations. This is long and slow and you can only book three days and then you must go back and stand in line again to book other restaurants. The food was poor a lot of deep fryed and the meat was like shoe leather. If you like tasteless food and full of grease this is a resort for you.

Our bathroom mirror's were so dirty, the tub disgusting and had a stopper that was broken. I called and reported this and even after a week it was still not fixed or mirror's cleaned. The shower flooded everday and we had ants on the counter.

The air conditioning did not work properly and when they finally fixed it, it was very loud. I did not have an iron so I called to get one and it did not work. I again phoned and they sent me another iron and it was broken as well.The trim around the patio door was falling off and the beds hard and uncomfortable. The pillows were so old and flat we could not use them nor did we want to. The caulking all around the patio door was falling off.

I cannot tell you how much walking you will do because you will not believe me. We were half way between the beach and the hotel and still it was crazy. All you do is walk and stand in line for reservations. The resort asked me what they could do for us but of course we were leaving the next day. To get to the tennis courts it was so far away no one used them.

When I told them I was going to put a review on line about the resort I was told they had nothing to say then. After a week of complaining about the filth of the room nothing was ever done.

The resort says they have free shutte service to Playa but this is a joke. You have to make reservatons 24 hours in advance and the shuttle only goes there at 10:30 a.m. or noon and returns to the Princess at 5:00 p.m.
Often the small shuttle is full and you cannot get on it. Just imagine the resort has 4,000 guests and one small shuttle you do the math.

Our lights in the room had a couple burnt out and never were fixed.

A large plaster moulding fell of and smashed outside our room and the mess was there two days after.

The pools were well taken care of and the property itself. It is difficult to walk around the pool area after you have been in the pool because the cement is very slippery many people wiped out.

When you go to the beach there are several booths set up selling massages, trips etc. which were right in front of the ocean so you could not see it in many places. The ocean was very rough and when you try to get out of it there are stones which hurt your feet and make it very difficult to get out. The best beach is in Playa, soft powdery white sand and the ocean beautiful. If you go chairs and umbrella's are at a cost.

All I can do is put down the things that happened and leave the rest up to you. I left the resort feeling the grounds were fantastic but the food, room and time left walking was terrible. Please if you like grease, filth,
walking forever in the heat, this is for you. And please note you can get one beach towel each and when you check out to leave if you leave the towels in your room you will be charged $40 a towel. And if you lose your
room key it cost $100 and the wrist band for all inclusive is a $100 if you lose that. When you get on the bus to leave you must line up with your
luggage and wait until they call your name to board the bus. This was long and silly it took them 45 minutes to do that.

They do not provide room service and they have one small elevator which was in our building so a lot of people went there to use it.

The people in Mexico were lovely and very nice. But, having said that the resort is not good please do not waste your money. At the office counter we were told that the staff make $20.00 a day and some people make none just tips while other's get $4.00 a day. It was truly sad to hear that!

The Princess Resort was truly a three star resort let's be honest. I have had better food at McDonald's! Be prepared to tip a lot because it cost $4.00 per person per day for the maid. Then you tip for every restaurant at least $8.00 for two people. Then the trolley you tip for that and you tip for many other things like drinks etc.

The resort was just too large and most people said they would not return that it was a waste of money. The food was not good they spent as little as possible to feed people and it showed. Healthy food is expensive to provide 4,000 people and the fruit they had was not good. The pineapple
was not ripe, the desserts were terrible and tasted bad. I am not sure why they called it cheese cake because it tasted nothing like one. All the desserts were bad tasting. We were told that all food is made elsewhere and brought in so it is not made fresh on site. Bring Off for bites because my daughter was bitten several times.

15  Thank Pepper9209
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have staid... for 24 hours at this hotel mid-February 2013. This was an unbeareable experience. The staff is not honest and does not give good information about the hotel. Before to go I have called and asked many information. During my stay, I realized that absolutely nothing about the information I received was true. I had to wait for 3 hours in the lobby to get our room... and we did not get the room we have reserved because the hotel was overbooked. The complex of the hotel is very large... so large that you always to spend 20 minutes walking to go anywhere: 20 minutes to reach the restaurants and main lobby; 20 minutes to go to the beach; 20 minutes to reach the spa. The only think that this was very good was to find 12 pools on the site, most of them very well located and never far from whereever you are. This is the only reason why I did not give the note of 1 rather than 2. Food is very oridnary and not well presented. After one day of being in the miserable hotel we decided to move to a real five stars hotel. I have read a lot of review concerning the hotel before to reserve, both in English and in French. Many of them were complaining and I have also read a review saying do not consider for all these complains that this was an excellent hotel. This is why i decided to reserve at the hotel, thinking that travelers expectations about were probably too high... Mistake! All complaints are well founded and I cannot give you a better advise than avoid this hotel at any prize... even for a free stay!!!! i have drafted more than 100 differents reviews on Trip Advisoir and if you look at my record you will see that almost all of them are very positive. so i am not a person who complains for nothing... but this time I do not have any choice to say Go somewhere else, you will not do a mistake choosing another hotel. Believe me !

Room Tip: Do not spend money for a villa. Do not spend money for a Yucatan executive room. The VIP rooms giving directly access to the pool from the room looks a good choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Paul-Claude33
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from this resort , grounds and pools are beautiful , clean rooms , a bit musky smelling, the food was the only issue , no stomach problems just, tasteless and poor quality meat and desserts , same food every day , for this reason I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Pick a central location , on the upper floor .
2  Thank carol s

Platinum suite Excellent only complaint

Lost our camera at front lobby Yucatan April 12th 2012 if anyone found a camera or disk please let us know. giltrucking@gmail.com
whoever complains they are way too picky so don t worry about all the bad reviews go relax have fun and think how lucky you are to be in this lovely place with all the amenities you want.

Thanks

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rod Et Tina R
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just returned from this beautiful resort with my husband and 15 year old daughter. There is not too much negative I can say. I don't unstand all the negative reviews at all. We have travelled to many all inclusive resorts and this is by far the best resort we have stayed at.

GROUNDS: I cannot say this enought, the grounds are absolutely stunning. Everywhere you look is groomed to perfection. Yes this resort is large but I am an overweight person and I had no problem. There are shuttles running all the time. Everytime we walked out on the shuttle run there was one going by. So you can walk as much or as little as you want.

ROOMS: We stayed in a basic Junior suite and it was very nice. We didn't feel crowded with the 3 of us at all. The room is well designed and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony for some quiet time.

POOLS: I think there were 9 pools, so many we didn't make it to all of them. They are all clean and refreshing. The party pool is great and my daughter enjoyed the games at 3:00 pm everyday.

ENTERTAINMENT: This was the most surprising feature. The entertainment was top notch. The entertainment group works very hard and has something going on all the time. They are a very talented bunch. Other resorts have events but half the time nobody is there when scheduled. You could always find something to do here. The night entertainment was what really impressed us. The bands in the courtyard are excellent, everything from a Mexican band to a rock band that totally rocked the place on Friday night. Then after that the night show put on by the resort Entertainment staff was way better than any other resort. They are talented dancers and they have guests in there shows. Loved the rock night and the Horror show. My daughter would not miss the show. Although we did not have young kids we did notice they seemed to have an excellent children's program also.

FOOD: The food was very good. We ate at the buffet all but three nights. We ate at the The Steakhouse, Japanese cooking show, and the Mexican restaurant, all were excellent. There is alot of selection and if you can't find something to eat here then you have the problem. We also loved grabbing a burger and chips on the beach for lunch after swimming in the ocean. Very good. It would have been nice to have some table and chairs to eat at by the ocean but we just brought the burgers back to our seats.

BEACH: The beach is gorgeous. We brought swim shoes because we read it was rocky. We did not use them. The sand is white and soft and most of the water bottom is sandy. There are some rocks depending on when you go in but the water is clear and turquoise so you can clearly see them. We found chairs daily between the sports rental and the chill out lounge which do not have vendors in front. Yes there are vendor huts in front of the chairs but they are resonable priced and will barder. We bought some of our souveniers from them which were much cheaper than the gift shop. The Chill out Lounge is very nice and resonably priced also.

I usually like to try different resorts but it is very hard not to want to return to this resort. Keep up the good work.

13  Thank jmataija