“Don't bother with Platinum - Service is not worth what they ask you to pay for it!!!!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #73 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake in the Hills
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just spent two weeks at the Grand Sunset Princess (2/4 - 2/18) - let me say, this was not the first time I have paid a premium for the Royal, Platinum or upgraded service. I have stayed at Dreams and Melia resorts where the actual service far exceeded the expectations.

1. Upon check-in, we were offered little instruction on how to navigate to the room. Other preffered status type resorts were much better. Most of the emphasis was placed on the penalties of lost towel cards, room cards & $100 lost wristband charge. They gave us a map and sent us on our way.
Once we arrived in our room, we saw their premium stocked bar, which consisted of 2 beers, a bottle of light rum, dark rum and tequilla. There are NO premium liquors in the room. I asked for a bottle of vodka to be sent to the room and was told, "No, you will have to buy it."
The room in our bathroom was broken to the point where you could put your hand through the space and spent three days trying to get someone to come and fix it. After three days, we asked to move. Once we moved, the premium Mini-Bar was not transfered to new room (9001 to 9023). Argued for three days before satifaction.The conierge said to us that it was reported that we drank the small bottles of Tequila, Rum & Whisky. So much for the fully stocked mini-bar, while in the resort!

2. Laguna Villa Suites issues:
-One of the entry doors leading to the private pool was broken, giving access to anyone, which forced confrontation with guests requesting lounge chairs or palaps. Guests were requesting the Concierge to enforce exclusivity rules.
-Concierge service was extremely poor, the majority of time he (Renato) was not present. The hotel explained it was because he was busy checking rooms throughout the day. Funny...if he was checking, you would think that he would have noticed all the issues that people were having.
-Concierge seemed to be unwilling to make dinner reservation changes, he was very difficult to work with. When arriving, you need to book every night in advance or you cannot get into the al a carte restaurants.
-My husband ordered flowers for Valentines day and was told it could be up to two hours and it took well over 5. I never saw the flowers until I went to bed that evening.
-The hotel boasts a spa day with the room, but it is nothing more than a 30 minute massage. In fact, the coupon has items scratched out on it.
-With exception to Marco and Antonio, other bartenders in the Laguna Villas were barely qualified as bartenders. Could not deviate from the drink menu.
-WiFi service is extremely poor in the rooms. You have to take your laptop or tablet out to the pool area if you want service.
Premium liquor for platinum guests was misrepresented in the description. Comparitively, the poorest selection I have seen for premium service. The resort considers Beef Eaters premium!

4. Mama Mia Restaurant - excellent food, horrible ending. When finished with dinner, all parties were collecting their tip money, when my husband put his portion on the table. The waiter picked up his money, asked him if the service was not up to par and then tossed it back at him saying, "No need, this is all inclusive." The sorry part is that he never waited for the table to even get their money down. Needless to say, we gave him nothing. When complaining to the management of the hotel, they apologized and told us to write down our complaints. They didn't care at all! The management is horrible at this resort.

5. Turndown service was unpreditable, sometimes they would do it, sometimes they wouldn't. The would show up at 6 in the evening, while you were getting ready to go out and then wouldn't come back. Other guests would say that they were getting swans and flowers on their beds, while others never had the service. There were days our room was not cleaned. They didn't change our sheets at all.

6. Exclusive platinum beach area was not inforced for the first three days we arrived, therefore we left the beach. As a platinum guest, we expected to find a lounge chair on the beach. After complaining, security began asking guests without the appropriate colored wrist bands to leave the area.

7. Room service was good, however it takes two - three days for the dishes to be picked up. The cleannig staff would put the dirty dishes outside the doors for someone to pick up and no one did. I have had cats, coaties, Iguna's and birds making a mess in front of my room. We had to call them twice to get them to get the dishes.

8. Kleenex - I can't believe that I have to say this, but after several requests and a premium paid for this service, I couldn't get anyone to send me kleenex/tissue to the room! When I requested it, I was told that I had to go to the store to buy it. How is that for service?

This resort is stunningly beautiful, but when you receive the kind of service that we received, especially from people who are appointed as managers and the concierge, this poses the question of what service did I get for the premium I paid. It is very unfortunate. If I had paid for a standard room, I wouldn't be complaining about much of this, however, we did and we were extremely disappointed. I will be posting this letter on the Princess Web site, as well as sending it corporate. We will see how they respond then!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the Laguna Villa Suites - if you do, don't expect the type of prem...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank savage985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,389)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very disappointed with our return visit to this hotel. Have had to pay extra for my son although he was named on original booking and feel like I have been scammed. Hotel staff will not sort this out, despite returning to speak to manager on 3 separate days. He chose to ignore me at the reception desk- which is no way to treat any guest, never mind a returning guest. Standards have slipped at the hotel. The platinum suites no longer provide the extra comfort and there are about 14 sun loungers in the private pool for about 100 guests. No turn down service and not enough towels in the bathroom. Impossible to get a place on the shuttle to playa del Carmen. The rest of the staff are very nice- but management have really disappointed me and I have been ripped-off.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Cosmicto
BRADFORD
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Travelled with sunwing from Jan 28 to Feb 4 2013. We were reluctant to book with sunwing however we had no choice because we wanted the yucatan platinum swimup section. We paid extra for elite service($49.00) well worth it! First on, seat selection and most importantly priority checkin especially when coming home. Found the seats a bit cramped, so if you are tall would recommend the elite plus service, it gives you more leg room. Despite the reviews about sunwing, we were very impressed with staff and service.

When we arrived at the hotel checkin was fast and friendly. We were greeted with a glass of champagne which was lovely.
After waiting for our luggage for 4 hours we went to find out what happened only to see it sitting in the lobby still. No reason for this and they left us to take it on our own. Not a major problem.

Our room was amazing!! Liz our cleaner was so sweet and martin kept our fridge stocked with whatever we wanted. Now we paid extra for the walkout pool. Looks fabulous but just as the other reviews stated, the pool was far to cold to swim in so not worth it. But it was very quiet and private. First morning we dropped the two coffee mugs off the tray and broke them and when we told our concierge she said it would cost us $26.00 us. Dont mind paying just didnt like being overcharged for something only worth a few dollars.
Cant say enough about the grounds, stunning and emaculate. Yes there is marble everywhere and it is very slippery so be careful.
Beach looks beautiful but not a swimmers paradise. No shortage of seating and space. The biggest drawback was that the vendors were positioned at the shoreline in front of lounge area. Which blocked the view of the ocean.
The food was the biggest drawback about the whole resort. You can always find something to eat but the hot food was either cold alot of the time or a repeat of the nights before which made us very cautious. Fruits and vegetables were outstanding. We walked out of the fondue a la carte.
We thought the people and the service here were very good.
This was our 5th trip to mexico to all inclusive and I can tell you it didnt measure up for the price we paid compared to the other resorts we were at. Good resort just dont overpay!!!!!

Room Tip: yucatan platinum swimup section. Very quiet but no sun and pool far to cald to swim in. So not wort...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kclj
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Yucatan Platinum Adult Only section of the Grand Sunset in a swim-up room. We were very happy with the hotel room: well appointed hotel room with double sinks, jacuzzi tub and seperate shower. We found the bed and pillows quite comfortable. This was our first time getting a swim-up room and we loved it. Although I had read (and heard first hand) many people complaining about how cold the pool was, I was very happy with the temperature of it. When it's +30 degrees, I like to soak in cool/cold water, not bath water. It's true that in this section, you lose direct sunlight after around 2pm, but by that time I was ready for a bite to eat, and done with sizzling in the sun. This area is so nice and quite during the day. We had the area pretty much to ourselves. There's a bar in the middle of the Yucatan section. The patio off our room was very large and had 2 lounger chairs where we would enjoy reading during the afternoon. The resort truly is beautiful and very well maintained. There's a "hammock district" for all guest to use, as well as a very large Spa. We both got a massage and the water circuit that guests can enjoy for several hours was very nice.

The one a la carte restaurant that stood out for us was La Fleur (we went twice). The Sushi a la carte was good, as was the Oriental (North American asian food). We did not try the Teppanyaki as we've done it at the Princess in Punta Cana. La Vaqueria had some great sausages for appetizers, and the steak entrées were quite good. Sadly, the Mexican a la carte was not great (althought their small buffett for appetizers was really good). Las Olas (seafood) was ok for us - if you're a big seafood/shellfish fan, you would enjoy immensely. La Fondue was also a dissapointment. The meats / vegetables were all precooked, and a big pot of bad melted cheese is brought for you to dip your meats/vegetable into.

We took advantage of room service for breakfast a couple of times, and the food was always well prepared, and eating on our patio was lovely. The buffets (4 in total) were just ok. There was way too much North American fare for my taste - I enjoy eating local cuisine, and sadly it was not prevalent here. Often the "hot" dishes were just lukewarm. All that aside, we don't go to AI resorts expecting the best food ever, so it's not a huge concern for us. We didn't starve.

Overall, we had a wonderful 2 weeks at this resort. There are many pools that snake their way between the beach and the main lobby for both sides of the resort. The beach had many palapas, beach bar, beach grill, and permanent stands for vendors. The staff everywhere were all so friendly and a pleasure to interact with.

If improvements were made to the food at the buffets, I would say that we would have no hesitation returning. If you're not a picky person when it comes to food, hotel room, drinks, and you don't go in with unrealistic expectations, I don't know how any could not enjoy themselves at this resort. This is the 2nd year that we've stayed at a Princess resort and we've been extremely pleased with their resorts and the extra perks offered with their "Platinum" packages.

Room Tip: Any of the Platinum Rooms offer great added perks (private lounges, personal concierge services for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Melalicious19
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Could not have been happier. The service was great. Thanks to Nelly for always getting our drinks to us with super speed.. Sometimes before we had even ordered them. Thanks to Elaina for an amazing massage. The room was beautiful. The restaurants were delicious. Got my pictures taken with some very cool animals. Excellent trip. Can't wait to go back and show it to my boyfriend.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Shawnas_82
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Upon arrival at this resort, I was excited, very beautiful and well manicured grounds, the swimming pools are large and plentiful, and our room very nice, ocean view. We had upgraded to the platinum suites, ocean view. Our first meal at the buffet was a bit of a disapointment, the meat was so tough we could not cut it with a knife, food was cold, as the days went by, this was repeatedly the problem and the food was the same everyday. I have been to many different resorts in the Mayan Riviera and heard complains about the buffets, but I have never complained myself realizing that you must adjust for where you are and the number of people that are being fed. The a-la-carte resturants were a little better, but none of them left with the feeling that I wanted to return.
The house keeping was hit and miss, we were in the Sunset side and our rooms were cleaned and towels replenished everyday. The turn down service was done maybe five times in two weeks ( part of the upgraded service ), not a big deal, the worst thing was the ants on the balcony, I did not use the oudoor jacuzy because of the ants, although my husband did. Our group was divided up into two different areas, four of us in the Sunset, which is what we all booked and the other 7 in the Riviera, The riviera cleaning was much worse that ours, there floors were only washed once and there was an area at the top of the side stairwell that looked like feces on the floor that was there for at least five days, it was still there when we left!
The evening entertainment was a huge disapointment, after trying to go see the show a few times, we simply just quit trying, the pre show music was so loud and pounding you couldn't talk to each other and the shows themselfs were uncreative and consisted of music videos and dancing!
Overall a huge disapointment....I will never return to this resort!
I must mention that some of the staff were excellent, especially Julieta in the Riviera Platium lounge in the evening. She was always smiling and very attentive to all the guests in the lounge, she was for sure 10 stars!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank relaxedinedmonton
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Well, after telling friends and family how great our last trip was to the Grand Sunset Princess last year they said sounds great, let's all go ! So we all booked together back in August for our trip at the end of Januaury. We went through my sister-in-law's travel agent to handle all the bookings. We decided this year we would go Platinum to see what difference this would make to out Junior suite we had last year. My sister-in-law also took the liberty of booking us in to Sunwing Elite for our trip down and back. This should have been better than it was. Our check-in was quick and easy and we did sort of get on the plane before others but our seats were right at the bulkhead. we had more leg room but we had no room under our seats to stow anything and the overhead compartments were all taken up by equipment for the flight. Anyways we got our thimble of champagne and the flight was pretty uneventful.

Met everyone at the Cancun airport but because they came in from Toronto they had a separate bus so we had a quick cerveza and then met back up in the lobby. Platinum check-in was quick and easy but since we had booked together we assumed our rooms would be together but this was not the case. We were close to some but others were down the hall and up one flight.

We got into our room to find that they had given us two doubles instead of a king bed. This is the same problem we encountered last year and never got resolved. I kept on the concierge for three days and then he told us they had another room for us but it was over on the Riviera side. Well we weren't going to move and leave everyone else so we siad thanks but we will stick with our double but that's strike one.

The rooms were very nice but looked very similar to the Junior suites although we did have a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and on the patio. The so-called premium liquor in the room didn't look too premium. Sometime during the past year they had switched from Corona in the fridges and all the bars to Modelo!!!
What the heck was that about ? I was not pleased with this at all !!! We have read about musty smells in the lower level rooms and although we didn't notice it last year we did notice it now. It was not that bad and we got used to it.

We met up with everyone for our first day around our platinum pool and we started to understand and appreciate the platinum difference. It was still quite crowded at times but there were times when it was very quiet and relaxing. Having our own uncrowded bar was also a definite plus.

It was about our third day that the benefit really hit home. We took a trip th Xelha which I highly recommend. Everyone had a blast snorkelling, ziplinig and the food was 10 times better tha anything available at the hotel. It was true Mexican food and flavours, delicious. Anyways after a full day of this we were all totally exhausted when we arrived back at the hotel. The thought of making the long trek from Platinum back up to the lobby did not appeal to anyone. It was then I said, you know we have 24 hour room service. Everyone said Yes !!! and we all ordered dinner to our rooms that night. After dinner we climbed into our jacuzzi for a well needed soak and began to feel human again.

Everything else about our second visit was pretty much as we had expected. No, the food in the buffets is not great and you get tired of it very quickly so book your restaurants. Yes, the wine is horrible. I am not a wine drinker but after one glass even I can tell you that.

So all in all, the complaints were minor. The kids had a blast. The adults also had a great time. Would we go back ? Yes. Would we recommend it to others ? Definitely. Are there places that are better ? Probably but I think they all have their weaknesses. Nothing will ever be perfect so enjoy what you can.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!