Just spent two weeks at the Grand Sunset Princess (2/4 - 2/18) - let me say, this was not the first time I have paid a premium for the Royal, Platinum or upgraded service. I have stayed at Dreams and Melia resorts where the actual service far exceeded the expectations.
1. Upon check-in, we were offered little instruction on how to navigate to the room. Other preffered status type resorts were much better. Most of the emphasis was placed on the penalties of lost towel cards, room cards & $100 lost wristband charge. They gave us a map and sent us on our way.
Once we arrived in our room, we saw their premium stocked bar, which consisted of 2 beers, a bottle of light rum, dark rum and tequilla. There are NO premium liquors in the room. I asked for a bottle of vodka to be sent to the room and was told, "No, you will have to buy it."
The room in our bathroom was broken to the point where you could put your hand through the space and spent three days trying to get someone to come and fix it. After three days, we asked to move. Once we moved, the premium Mini-Bar was not transfered to new room (9001 to 9023). Argued for three days before satifaction.The conierge said to us that it was reported that we drank the small bottles of Tequila, Rum & Whisky. So much for the fully stocked mini-bar, while in the resort!
2. Laguna Villa Suites issues:
-One of the entry doors leading to the private pool was broken, giving access to anyone, which forced confrontation with guests requesting lounge chairs or palaps. Guests were requesting the Concierge to enforce exclusivity rules.
-Concierge service was extremely poor, the majority of time he (Renato) was not present. The hotel explained it was because he was busy checking rooms throughout the day. Funny...if he was checking, you would think that he would have noticed all the issues that people were having.
-Concierge seemed to be unwilling to make dinner reservation changes, he was very difficult to work with. When arriving, you need to book every night in advance or you cannot get into the al a carte restaurants.
-My husband ordered flowers for Valentines day and was told it could be up to two hours and it took well over 5. I never saw the flowers until I went to bed that evening.
-The hotel boasts a spa day with the room, but it is nothing more than a 30 minute massage. In fact, the coupon has items scratched out on it.
-With exception to Marco and Antonio, other bartenders in the Laguna Villas were barely qualified as bartenders. Could not deviate from the drink menu.
-WiFi service is extremely poor in the rooms. You have to take your laptop or tablet out to the pool area if you want service.
Premium liquor for platinum guests was misrepresented in the description. Comparitively, the poorest selection I have seen for premium service. The resort considers Beef Eaters premium!
4. Mama Mia Restaurant - excellent food, horrible ending. When finished with dinner, all parties were collecting their tip money, when my husband put his portion on the table. The waiter picked up his money, asked him if the service was not up to par and then tossed it back at him saying, "No need, this is all inclusive." The sorry part is that he never waited for the table to even get their money down. Needless to say, we gave him nothing. When complaining to the management of the hotel, they apologized and told us to write down our complaints. They didn't care at all! The management is horrible at this resort.
5. Turndown service was unpreditable, sometimes they would do it, sometimes they wouldn't. The would show up at 6 in the evening, while you were getting ready to go out and then wouldn't come back. Other guests would say that they were getting swans and flowers on their beds, while others never had the service. There were days our room was not cleaned. They didn't change our sheets at all.
6. Exclusive platinum beach area was not inforced for the first three days we arrived, therefore we left the beach. As a platinum guest, we expected to find a lounge chair on the beach. After complaining, security began asking guests without the appropriate colored wrist bands to leave the area.
7. Room service was good, however it takes two - three days for the dishes to be picked up. The cleannig staff would put the dirty dishes outside the doors for someone to pick up and no one did. I have had cats, coaties, Iguna's and birds making a mess in front of my room. We had to call them twice to get them to get the dishes.
8. Kleenex - I can't believe that I have to say this, but after several requests and a premium paid for this service, I couldn't get anyone to send me kleenex/tissue to the room! When I requested it, I was told that I had to go to the store to buy it. How is that for service?
This resort is stunningly beautiful, but when you receive the kind of service that we received, especially from people who are appointed as managers and the concierge, this poses the question of what service did I get for the premium I paid. It is very unfortunate. If I had paid for a standard room, I wouldn't be complaining about much of this, however, we did and we were extremely disappointed. I will be posting this letter on the Princess Web site, as well as sending it corporate. We will see how they respond then!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico