Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$241
$235
Bookit.com
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$450
$269
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$1,638
$334
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
$578
Bookit.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$244
$202
$664
$437
BlueBay
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$496
$389
Barcelo.com
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$387
$289
Melia.com
$477
$462
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun(Playa del Carmen)
$646
HotelsClick
9,786 results
All reviewssports barfondueriviera sideplatinum sectiona la cartesmama miaplatinum loungesunset buffetlas olasplatinum packagedeluxe junior suitele fleurchill out barcooking showwater shoesprivate poolseafood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Well, after telling friends and family how great our last trip was to the Grand Sunset Princess last year they said sounds great, let's all go ! So we all booked together back in August for our trip at the end of Januaury. We went through my sister-in-law's travel agent to handle all the bookings. We decided this year we would go Platinum to see what difference this would make to out Junior suite we had last year. My sister-in-law also took the liberty of booking us in to Sunwing Elite for our trip down and back. This should have been better than it was. Our check-in was quick and easy and we did sort of get on the plane before others but our seats were right at the bulkhead. we had more leg room but we had no room under our seats to stow anything and the overhead compartments were all taken up by equipment for the flight. Anyways we got our thimble of champagne and the flight was pretty uneventful.

Met everyone at the Cancun airport but because they came in from Toronto they had a separate bus so we had a quick cerveza and then met back up in the lobby. Platinum check-in was quick and easy but since we had booked together we assumed our rooms would be together but this was not the case. We were close to some but others were down the hall and up one flight.

We got into our room to find that they had given us two doubles instead of a king bed. This is the same problem we encountered last year and never got resolved. I kept on the concierge for three days and then he told us they had another room for us but it was over on the Riviera side. Well we weren't going to move and leave everyone else so we siad thanks but we will stick with our double but that's strike one.

The rooms were very nice but looked very similar to the Junior suites although we did have a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and on the patio. The so-called premium liquor in the room didn't look too premium. Sometime during the past year they had switched from Corona in the fridges and all the bars to Modelo!!!
What the heck was that about ? I was not pleased with this at all !!! We have read about musty smells in the lower level rooms and although we didn't notice it last year we did notice it now. It was not that bad and we got used to it.

We met up with everyone for our first day around our platinum pool and we started to understand and appreciate the platinum difference. It was still quite crowded at times but there were times when it was very quiet and relaxing. Having our own uncrowded bar was also a definite plus.

It was about our third day that the benefit really hit home. We took a trip th Xelha which I highly recommend. Everyone had a blast snorkelling, ziplinig and the food was 10 times better tha anything available at the hotel. It was true Mexican food and flavours, delicious. Anyways after a full day of this we were all totally exhausted when we arrived back at the hotel. The thought of making the long trek from Platinum back up to the lobby did not appeal to anyone. It was then I said, you know we have 24 hour room service. Everyone said Yes !!! and we all ordered dinner to our rooms that night. After dinner we climbed into our jacuzzi for a well needed soak and began to feel human again.

Everything else about our second visit was pretty much as we had expected. No, the food in the buffets is not great and you get tired of it very quickly so book your restaurants. Yes, the wine is horrible. I am not a wine drinker but after one glass even I can tell you that.

So all in all, the complaints were minor. The kids had a blast. The adults also had a great time. Would we go back ? Yes. Would we recommend it to others ? Definitely. Are there places that are better ? Probably but I think they all have their weaknesses. Nothing will ever be perfect so enjoy what you can.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank fishb0ch
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the platinum section for one week.
Requested to be close to our friends suites by writing in a week ahead and we were granted that request and situated right next door. Rooms were comfortable fridge restocked dsily with beer pop and water.

Loved how quiet platinum area was.. with exception to one couples hyperactive 12 yesr old who was a complete terror the children who were allowed in the platinum section, were well behaved and if I went back and wanted adults only there is always the yucatan part of the resort.

Pools were nice and the many pool bars were fabulous. Beach was nice but preferred the chill out section. Paid the 10 buck for a comfy lounger and the constant service. Awesome. Otherwise spentiur days koynging by the pools especially in the small platinum pool area as comfortable and drinks were premium

Food ..... was ok. If you are a fooodie at all the would not be tge placw for you. Breakfast was typical and good for a AI. lunch well... burgers and fries nachos chicken wings and saladw bar...although all very good I ended up just eating larger breakfasts and then having a small snack from platinum lounge in early afternoon.

Tried some of the a la cartes for dinner and did the buffetts all were just ok. The gala dinner was ok for some of the sea food steaks were terrible I felt so bad seeing all the wasted meat on peoples plates. Seafood restaurant was actually not bad. Prob my fav meal.

All in all . A decent resort Grounds amazing. Service was great. Rooms nice. Transportation worked well. Would I go back? Yeah.. if others I travel with were going and asked me. Id go. Otherwise id orob try some place new. For what we paid I feel this place is what we paid for. Nice vacation with good friends

• Stayed: November 2012
10  Thank Micky C
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Resort is huge and very attractive, lots of walking. Floors are marble and very slippery. Pools were clean as were the grounds and public bathrooms. Food was pretty good at buffets although the theme restaurants were for the most part disappointing. Horrible wine ( red was watered down and white was really sweet ) The wine at the bars was almost always better than the wine with meals. I was disappointed that some premium liquors had a $5.00 charge for one ounce. Most of the staff was great, a few exceptions but that is the case anywhere. Platinum clients were not informed of all the extras we were due. For example we had free room service but there were prices on the menu. We also found out from other clients that we could order off the menu for breakfast and lunch in the buffet. Biggest complaint.....the room very was musty as were the comforters and pillows. There is mold on the curtains. There is a serious lack of clothes storage and hooks to hang towels, bathing suits ect. Our room was very clean although often the floor was not swept. There was a piece of toilet paper stuck to the side of our toilet for the 2 week stay so that speaks volumes about cleaning. Lots of towels but no coffee many days. Our toilet seat and door lock were broken and repaired promptly. Security people were obvious and plentiful. The man who we paid to use the Chill Out beach was surly at best but the wait staff were great. We used this beach many times just to get away from the endless vendors and topless sunbathers ( who did not realize there was an adult beach or just wanted an audience ) at the regular beach. Disappointed with the lack of ocean view from our room although we could hear the waves.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pudnick
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here from the 8th-15th. This resort is stunning. If you want to party you can in the pools closest to the beach if not stay by the pools closer to the lobby. The landscaping is beautiful and the entire resort overall is very clean. The person who posted before me is right, the floors are slippery so be careful!

They pull this trick on you and if you don't get what you requested they pretend to give you an "upgraded room" which consists of a jacuzzi... Not that I would ever use it but there was mold all over it.. No one cleans it. I feel bad saying that because the staff works really really hard I just didn't get it. The shower fills up with water which is gross and unsanitary. The room itself is huge and beautiful though.

The beach is stunning.. The vendors are set up as if they are part of the hotel (maybe they are) and sit right in front of the water which is a waste of beach space in my eyes considering how big this resort is.

Yes there's rocks but not as bad as you think it's totally sandy and you can walk in and it's beautiful. You just have to keep an eye out in some places.

If you need service and you call from your room they will never ever answer. If they do your request wont happen anyways...So don't bother, but then again you may not have to call.

The food was the worst part about this trip, when you get there you see the selection and think wow it's not bad, but the taste of 80% of the food is bad. Especially for a 5 star. We were pretty much vegans for the duration of the stay. But for the record I heard people on the bus say it was amazing to them so I guess it's just who likes what.

The trains to the beach, come every 40 minutes so if you are not a walker don't go here because you will be walking for a while no matter where you go.

Again, most beautiful resort I've ever been to, and I've been to many, just need to watch out for a few things.

**if you are in the downstairs entertainment section, find FLOW or in the riviera lobby, MICHALA.. These ladies are your destiny to getting amazing service and ongoing drinks through the night, this resort is lucky to have them!

I would suggest it to older families (teens and parents) and if you are in yours 30s+ going away with friends, and of course couples of all ages, this resort is for you.

• Stayed: February 2013
10  Thank Katreener
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If your looking to have a wonderful holiday - the perfect start would be picking this Resort. Everything is beautiful - immaculately maintained - and a great place to have a fun time!
Rooms are comfy and everything anyone would need. Multiple pools give the option for party or relaxing. A quick 10 min walk from one end (the beach) to the front Court Yard filled with Shopping, Yummy Food, Entertainment and Smiles by all. The grounds are bold with color and soothing to the soul. The ocean is warm and inviting - makes you want to jump waves all day long. Make sure to pack a bathing suit, flip flops, runners and you should be set!
Every night there is different entertainment, and food. Also an added bonus this Resort is only 15 min away from Playa Del Carmen. CoCo Bongos & 5th Avenue are a must! Filled with excitement!
Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: *Do not flush toilet paper -- if you do... this will result in a plugged toilet! **Important Note - this does not only apply to this Resort but this entire area. Plumbing is different in Mexico - its not a bad thing - just different. No big deal - No worries.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple