“Exceeded my Expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Potomac, Maryland
“Exceeded my Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited Jan 8-15. Booked through Apple Vacations and flew AirTran. First, let me set up my experience. I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, twelve times since 2000. This is not a brag, but so that you can tell that there is some experience behind my commentary.

The hotel is about a 35 minute drive south of the Cancun airport. One on the ground, you will find lovely, manicured grounds. Pools run throughout the property. The hotel offers some first floor rooms where the guests can walk straight off your own terrace into a pool. Interesting feature. We were in Room 3206. The front desk had kindly upgraded us to a room closer to the beach and with a in room jacuzzi tub (which we did not use.) The room is large and well appointed and offers double sinks, a large terrace, small refrigerator and a flat screen TV. If management is reading this please note that the shower floor in this room slopes away from the drain, causing the water to puddle at the shower door. You will have to resurface the floor so it slopes toward the drain and/or add a drain by the door. I used my foot as a squeegee after each shower. By the way, the bath towels are smallish and thin. The property has numerous, large interconnected three story buildings. There is only one elevator per structure. Our room was a full city block from the elevator, so climbing to the third floor was the norm. Nonetheless, I prefer the low-rise set up to high rises.

In the first moments after first going out to the pool in check-in day, my wife slipped and fell hard on the pool deck by Bldg. 3. One of the guests who jumped up to assist her, admitted that he likewise slipped and fell the prior day. Hotel Mgm't- DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. Perhaps something as simple as scoring the concrete could help the situation. For the rest of our stay we often avoided walking in this area, even though this was the most direct entrance to our building from the beach.

The beach is very broad and wide. Now I will provide the hotel with my highest compliment (and I sincerely mean this) there are an adequate number of chairs beach-side and poolside. Most hotels fail this basic standard. Yes, some guests did the selfish save-chairs-all-day-long thing, but most did not. Two years ago we stayed in a 5-6 star property where you would look out at a field of unoccupied, but reserved seats at most any hour and we could never find a vacant chair to sit in. Likely the fact that there are enough chairs here, discourages putting a towel out at 6 AM nonsense.

There would even be a better chair situation but for one curious fact. The hotel does have a guest caste system. Those at the top of the heap get different buildings, free wi-fi, better dining options, different beach towels (silver) and separate/exclusive beach seating areas. Many so-called Platinum guests sit with us untouchables, while there are MANY empty chairs in the exclusive zone. By the way, they do enforce this guest segregation.

The beach is nice, but there is one incurable issue. The water is very shallow, coming up to my thigh even after walking way out. You feel like you can walk to Cozumel. Safe for kids, but very difficult to swim in without hitting bottom. They have 3 or 4 booths right at the front of the beach selling tattoos trips and souvenirs. Stupid. It takes up shoreline and blocks views. Move them back to the rear. Also move the massage tent. Those getting massages aren't looking at the sea anyway.

The hotel allows guests to eat at specialty restaurants every night. Most competitors limit you to only three or four nights out of seven. You must have reservations which are made at a desk behind the lobby bar. It would be great if they had one more person taking the reservations, because often there were five or six families waiting to book. The restaurants were over-all quite good. I enjoyed the Japanese grill the most. We also ate in the steak house, Asian, Mexican and Italian restaurants. All fine. Don't expect a $100 per plate gourmet experience and you'll be satisfied. The buffets are adequate and typical of the competition. Adding a second omelet chef in the morning rush would be a great help. When eight guests were in line, I ate something else instead of waiting.

They offered burgers, etc. at the beach each day, but our last day (can't explain.) This is a really nice and unique feature. Keep doing it.

Lastly, the help was all terrific from the waiters to the front desk to the maids. Excellent and friendly.

Conclusion- Good hotel, well priced, good value. We will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,287)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

i would recommend this hotel. i am planning to go back there again! such a beautiful place!

Here are some tips:

1. there are 3 story buildings. we stayed on 2nd floor. 1st floor room's balcony takes you straight to the pool! it is awesome!. however other people can swim in front of your room (they don't usually do it though)

2. the place is HUGE! you have to make sure to explore the area before getting drunk, as you might not be able to find your room lol

3. food was great. i have no complaints.

4. the beach it very nice. there is a VIP section: not much different than the usual one

5. lots of activities in the pool like : water polo, tequila volleyball (my personal favorite :) )

6. we got a massage on the beach. i can tell you that that was one of the best massages i've
ever had

7. and of course don't forget to visit the pyramids and COCO BONGO (best club on earth!)

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor have immediate access to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ruzik
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I enjoyed my trip, but as i am Muslim the drinking never played a part, and hence did feel kinnda of chipped for paying for drinking but not want to. I hope some day they can introduce a package without the drinking option, then i would definitely go back there. Also no Halal food in the resort or city, so make sure you love fish or vegetables. :)

All and all it was a good trip nice and quite place, very relaxing, just want me and my wife needed. Other than the two issues above which would only apply to Muslims. I think this place was very beautiful and very well maintained. Also please do not indulge is giving tips. As the service becomes used to the tips and god forbid if you forget to tip the next day the service suffers tremendiously.

Have a good and safe Vacation. thanks

Room Tip: The food is very bland. It you have a developed taste for good food. You will most likely not like t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ajax
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 7 days. (Jan 14-21 2013) The resort is very well maintained and most of the staff is very friendly. I didn't mind the food, my favourite was the breakfast omelette's in the main buffets. It is worth the short wait in line for them. Make sure you book your reservations for the a la carte restaurants as soon as you arrive since they fill up very quickly. They seemed to have tons of staff for the grounds but not as much serving staff so even though they said they were booked solid there was many empty tables available. I assume due to lack of servers. Tip them well, they work very hard. My best recommendation was the Japanese restaurant, they cook the food right in front of you and do entertaining tricks that wow you. The food there was delicious. The Disco opens around 10:30pm very night and it is a lot of fun to go and dance and drink to your hearts content. Every thursday they allow vendors to come into the lobby and you can buy crafts, dresses, jewellery and so on, don't ever pay full price, you can bargain with them. We brought all U.S dollars this time around since they are more then happy to take it. Just ask Quanto Cuesta en Dollares (not sure of spelling) but they will convert for you from pesos to dollars. Learning some spanish is very helpful and they appreciate you trying to speak their language. You will have to get to the beach early to make sure you get a good spot otherwise you will be sitting on your towel in the sand. If you want to take a trip to town in Playa Del Carmen, book your shuttle the day before. While there, only buy silver from higher end stores, such as Silver Traditions, many other places sell you fake silver, it doesn't matter if it is stamped with 925. You may run into a someone saying "Hey remember me?" "I am your waiter from your hotel Princess" and he will ask for money to help feed his kids, Don't fall for it, he is reading your wristband. You will be asked by numerous pushy vendors to come into their stores or ask if you want to buy some weed or cocaine, just keep walking.
I liked that the hotel didn't push us to buy any time shares, that was something I appreciated.
I wish they had free Wifi in the lobby like other resorts do, you will have to buy an internet card from the machine and it is expensive. If you book a tour from the Sunwing office they will let you use their computers for free. They always have a line up to use it and you have a 15 min time limit. If you are going to book an excursion I highly recommend XelHa, it was the highlight of our trip. Next time I will upgrade to Platinum and pay the extra money for it, I was told it was worth it.
Overall we had a good trip for the money and I would recommend this resort. Keep in mind that 80% of the guests are Canadian so it felt good to be surrounded by people who lived close to you. There are a lot of French speaking people that I found to be a little rude at times, they kind of make up their own rules and don't believe in waiting in lines, they just bud in line and act like they don't know how the process works. I had to teach them some manners a few times and ran into other people that had the same complaints. The weather was not as good as we hoped, only 4 really nice days, lots of cloud coverage so bring a sweater or thin jacket and one pair of long pants. Make sure the men bring at least one pair of pants if they want to go to the A la carte restaurants, jeans are fine. One thing I was not happy about was when I put the Do Not Disturb sign on our room door because I didn't want the room cleaned on certain days, they cleaned it anyways. I don't think the staff understood what Do Not Disturb meant. The fridge was not cold at all so don't expect the pop of water to be cold.One night our safe stopped working and kept saying error when we tried to punch in the code, I panicked and called the front desk. They sent someone over right away and he reset the safe. I was thankful for the quick service. The rooms were very clean and I liked the style. If you don't like to do a lot of walking then wait for the trolley, other wise the walking will help you burn off some of the food you ate. I liked the walk to the beach. We stayed in room 1073, roughly in the middle of the resort. Lots of Cats there so you may hear cat fights at night…lol
Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Spent one week each of the last 5 years at this resort and will be returning in April 2013 for another week.

Our first year we stayed on the sunset side in the Junior Suites, second year we stayed on the riviera side in the Junior Suites, third year we stayed on the riviera side in the Platinum Suites, fourth year we stayed on the riviera side in the Yucatan Platinum Suites, fifth year on the sunset side in the Lauguna Villa Suites and this year we will be staying in the sunset Lauguna Villa Suites again.

We have traveled every year with the same couple and last year 4 additional couples came with us and we had an amazing time once again.

After 5 visits, I have nothing bad to say about this resort. Yes it is a huge resort, but guess what you are going to eat a lot of food and drink a lot of beverages, you will need the exercise. I personnaly like the size of this resort and I will run the perimetor of the resort every morning, it's about 1 mile all the way around. Do your research if you are lazy and don't like to walk - this resort is not for you - so don't complain about how much you had to walk or how long you had to wait for the tram. Onto the buffet's - guess what I have had food on the buffet that I haven't liked, guess what? I didn't eat it and I got something else from the buffet, there is a large choice of food. The restuarants are great, but guess what, some of the meals I have had aren't the greatest, but I have ordered many meals at nice restaurants in the states that I didn't like, you can't always be pleased.

We have never had a problem with check-in or check-out. Be nice to the staff and they will be nice to you.

I read these reviews every year before we book and before we go and I have to chuckle at what people complain about. The funniest thing is that people complain about their flights being delayed, how is this the resorts fault? I am sure somepeople have legitimate resons for giving bad reviews. If you walk around with your nose in the air, this resort is not for you, if you are a typical person that is going on vacation to get away and relax and to have a great time, this resort is for you.

We also meet Jonathan the conceirge on our 3rd trip and he has been a great help every year. We look forward to seeing Jonathan again in April.

The Villa's are worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Villas are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
20 Thank WISunandfun
Ste. Anne, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I thought this was a great resort. They did a really good job of our daughter and son in laws wedding. The food was great the hospitality was second to none and the resort was clean and well maintained. Our room was spacious but humid and the temperature controls need to be more user friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in the resort for one week. Overall poor experience . Facilities and rooms were decent but the food was awful . In fact it was downright dangerous . Was there on a family holiday and at least half our group had developed gastroenteritis . One of our group was so unwell she required medical attention and ended up spending time in hospital . Has a party atmosphere but I would only recommend going if you're planning on partying so much you'll be sick anyways . The service is terrible as well making the stay that much worse . This place sorely needs new management as the rooms and pools are nice and it could be an excellent resort if the food and service were developed . Maybe they will finally see the more recent reviews complaining about the food and do something about it. Until they do I could not recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed January 2013
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,356 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!