“Beautiful Resort!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in a swim-up room. If you go with Sunwing, you will get the Sunset side which has sun only in the early mornings. If you want full use of your swim-up room, choose another tour group that stays on the Riviera side, which gets all the sun most of the day. No sun, cold water, but the kids did use it as they can adapt to anything. Overall, this was a beautiful resort.
Room - spacious, clean, always damp due to the humidity. People claiming rooms are too far from Lobby or to Beach...just laziness. Doesn't hurt to walk. There are also carts for those who can't make the walk.
Lobby Bar - fantastic
Beach - Great! Enough waves to keep the kids happy.
Beach Bar - No Fries..only nacho chips with your burger or dogs.
Buffet - A buffet is a buffet. There was enough variety. It's not a luxury resort.
A La Carte Restaurants - Average
The only real beef I had was probably with other tourists, especially the smoking ones(not to say all were bad). Are people just stupid and ignorant or should I say lack of intelligence. CIGARETTE BUTTS!!!! Why do you people still litter the beach with butts???? I don't get it! How difficult is it to use those plastic cups and then place it in a garbage that are all over the beach? Hate to say it, but most (that I saw and gave dirty looks too) were French speaking. Lesson to learn....CIGARETTE BUTTS ARE NOT BIODEGRADABLE!!!!
Stayed at Bahia Principe in Riviera last year and found it to be much better overall, especially food wise. The New Year's Eve party was actually alot better there too! Fireworks, cultural shows and music in the square.

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms on the Riviera side would be fabulous. Sunset side has very little sun and the water...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joanne S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,320)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been to over 20 all inclusives all over the caribbean, including the Valentin and the Royal in Playa del Carmen. The service at this resort ranks right along with these 2 resorts. The staff was always there to help and quick to look after any of your needs. We stayed in the Grand Yucatan Platinum area Dec 10th to 20th and it was fantastic. Our room was taken care of everyday, we had plenty of everything.

There are so many reviews about the food not being 5 star and that they false advertise. The 5 star system is not about food quality, it is about amenities offered by the resort. Therefore, the food was quite adequate for the price point of this resort. The steakhouse did an awesome job on my medium rare steak, the whole meal was good. All the restaurants were very good with incredible service. I have no idea why people complain about food but to each his own. I'm thinking anyone that would eat at a McDonalds at home would be in no position to critique resort food.

I am going to keep this review short because there have been so many detailed reviews posted. The only thing I want to touch base on is the exageration that many say about the walking time and distance of this resort. For some who are not as mobile it may take 10 or 15 minutes to walk to restaurants or the beach but for most it is only 5 minutes. It was quite clearly layed out and very similar to the Valentin in walking distances.

Overall this is a wonderful resort and I would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank TorontoLuvtheSun
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

had a great stay in the adults only Yucatan section.... thanks to the wonderful staff (especially Theresa, the maid, remembering how i like only two pillows on the bed) hotel should use telephone messaging instead of hand delivered ones, took 2.5 hours to receive a message. the two lobbies is confusing regarding pickups for buses and excursions lots of walking on marble the hotel is refereed from tour operators as "the princess" instead of the three sections (grand sunset, grand riviera, grand yucatan) helpful for drivers drop offs resort is huge and could be hard to find someone so use walkie talkies straight out from life guard tower is sand and no rocks

Room Tip: try to get close to lobbies this is where most of the restaurants/bars/shops are plus the excursi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Greg S
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were married at the Grand Sunset Princess in March 2012, and while our wedding day was perfect, there were many things about our experience that were not.
The resort itself is beautiful. The rooms were adequate, but lacked in many of the basic necessities ie Kleenex (you had to pay extra for that). Some of our guests had to change rooms as they smelled of sewer. The lay staff were lovely, but dealing with management was next to impossible. The food was not bad but certainly not the best I've had in Mexico.
Our trip was booked through a travel agent and Sunwing Vacations. We were informed that all of our 25 guests would have rooms in the same section of the same hotel. This was not even close to happening. A good number of our guests were not even on the Sunset side of the hotel, but on the Riviera side. We were all in completely different sections, even amongst those of us on the same side. It was impossible to find people without having to walk for 20 minutes, and since there were no answering machines in the rooms, we spent much of our already busy week walking around looking for people to try to get organized.
One of our biggest frustrations was in trying to organize meals for our guests. When you book a group together in a hotel, based on the recommendation of a travel agent, you assume that the hotel can easily accommodate groups. This was not the case at all. All bookings had to be done 3 days in advance, booking the meals was extremely time consuming (could take 45 minutes on average, for 2 people), and there were only very limited spaces available in each restaurant. Surprisingly though, whenever we would get to the restaurants for our meals, they were never full. If trying to make reservations for more than 12 people, they wanted to charge an extra $40/person. We even went through management to try to book a birthday dinner party for my mother. After much fussing, they agreed to give us a table for 12 and even offered a birthday cake. When we got to the restaurant (Fondue), they tried to seat us at 2 different tables, argued with me about it, and there was no birthday cake.
Our other biggest frustration was the actual wedding organization. There was no flexibility at all on the part of the hotel. Jackie, our assigned wedding organizer, was wonderful and did the best job she could do, however her manager (Pillar, I believe was her name), was terrible. She was not accommodating at all, or even nice for that matter. When we tried to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle about certain things, she stated that this is the way things were going to be and that was that. When we talked to her about the poor customer service she was providing, and that we would be sure to make a complaint, she simply stated that this was our prerogative. The trouble stemmed right from the beginning. We wanted a budget wedding and a ceremony outside of the hotel (not even a traditional ceremony - we wanted an authentic Mayan Ceremony). We requested for the hotel to organize a meal only for our guests, but they would not even entertain the possibility without us purchasing a wedding package. So we did.
We decided to go with an outside photographer – the website for the hotel showed only 4 photos, and there would be one or two photographers out of a whole potential group of people who would take the pictures (where is the quality control in that?), and I was unwilling to take a chance that their photographers wouldn’t pan out. I was then informed that there would be an additional charge to bring in the photographer, and another additional charge if they would be eating at the hotel. So we agreed to the additional charge of $200, only then to be told onsite that there would be another $200 “charge to allow the photographer’s assistant on the property.” So we had to pay an additional $400 to allow our photographers to be present for literally 3 or 4 hours, on top of the price we were already paying for photography, the wedding ceremony we didn’t want, AND in addition to the $50,000 or so that our guests were bringing into the hotel.
We felt as though we had to argue to get everything. Even the massage that was included in our wedding “Princess Package” turned into an argument. Our bathrobes took 3 days to arrive to the room. We even wrote to the travel agent months ago, as well as directly to the Princess, but both of these emails went unanswered. We will never stay in a Princess Hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Geovet
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had an amazing holiday at this resort. I don't understand the negative reviews at all. The grounds are extremely beautiful, clean and well kept, the food is excellent at the 5 buffets and at the 9 a la cartes, the staff is super friendly and always have a smile on their face, the beach is good and clean and the rooms are very spacious and clean. It's a great resort to take your kids to as well. The staff are great with them, and they do tones of activities with them. There is something for everyone at all times of the day. There is a private beach area at the Chill Out Lounge that I recommend to everyone. If you are not staying at the Platinum, you have to pay $12 per person for the day, but it's so worth it. It is quiet and relaxing. They play soft soothing lounge music throughout the day. The lounge chairs are soft and cushioned, it has the best part of the beach, and you get waiter service. All around the best all inclusive I've stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank csonhadora
Gina G, Public Relations Manager at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We would like to thank you for your nice review regarding your recent stay at our Resort. We will be happy to have you as our guests and to welcome you at your Mexican home again.
We look forward to see you soon.

Best regards
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in the adults only Grand Yucatan building of this resort. It is a huge beautiful resort, the nicest one I have stayed at. The grounds and buildings are great. We stayed on the second floor and am glad we did not pay extra for the first floor swim up room as the pool there is freezing as it does not get much sun. It was really quite as all the action was down at the middle buildings and pools. The beds and pillows were extremely hard, so bring your own pillow. The food in the buffets was not great. I also found the food at the a la cartes was not so great either. The beach was great, lots of waves and clean. The staff were great and overall we had a good time, but I would not go back.

Room Tip: Grand Yucatan Adults Only building - Swim ups not worth the price as the pool is freezing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ottawagirl H
We are grateful for your review and it will help us to improve the aspects that did not fulfill your expectations.
We hope you reconsider to visit our Resort on another occasion; it will be a pleasure to have you again as our guests

Best regards
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself a resort type of person. I have only been in an all-inclusive resort (Sandos Playacar) once before and I am comparing this experience with that one.

I was there with my wife during the week of Christmas 2012.

The resort is beautiful and huge. I loved the landscaped gardens and the never ending pool that crosses the resort for almost its entire length.
We booked a Junior Suite and we received a free upgrade to a Deluxe Junior Suite, that had a full bathroom with jacuzzi (instead of a bathroom with shower). Personally, I don't think they would give anybody who stays for a full week a Junior Suite, but it was nice to receive that news (particularly after a troubled flight to get there. Thanks American Airline for that!).

Overall, my wife and I had a relaxing vacation and we enjoyed our time there, however, we also experienced an amount of frustration due to a series of issues you want to avoid like the plague when you are on vacation.

That frustration is the reason of my poor review of this place.
Specifically:

- Food. The food in the buffet was really poor quality. You don't expect (at least I don't) to have Michelin food in a buffet of an all-inclusive resort. However, when you are eating that food for a whole week, at least twice a day, you want that food to be at least decent. Well, it was not.
Everything was quite greasy, the variety was limited, the presentation was poor - the labels indicating the kind of food were often misplaced, and there was no way to discriminate between normal yogurt and low fat one; or often the lemon ice cream was often labeled like coconut.

Even the fruit was tasteless! Seriously? This is not Sweden, this is Mexico, how can fruit be watery and tasteless?

Often they were out of stuff (chips were regularly out; maple syrup, and so on) and it took them a while before they replenish them.

Once even the guacamole (that tasted really industrial) was frozen.

Ok, you get the point. Now think about this and multiply it for a week, for at east twice a day and you have a better idea of what I am talking about.

- Drinks/Beverages. The drinks were also of poor quality. I tried them in basically all the bars available in the resort and the most decent ones were the one from the bar in the lobby.
Again, I don't expect to have a margarita with a tequila Jose Cuervo, but at the very minimum I expect that they make the drinks with real fruit and not with drink mixes like in the worst dive bars.
Well, that was not the case. Al their drinks were super sugary, artificially flavored and cheap.

In addition, their espresso coffee was undrinkable for how bitter it was. Disgusting.

They weren't using a regular espresso machine (even though they have them) but an automated one, in order to save time. I tried to drink it with whiskey cream and with sambuca, to alter the taste and be able to drink it, but I just couldn't.
Then I asked to have it made with the regular machine. The espresso was not as bitter but it was as bad as the other one. Plus they served it in a styrofoam cup.

The wine (red and white) was so sweet that it was barely drinkable. The night we had dinner at Tapas (their Spanish restaurant) the red wine was so bad I sent it back (I assume that they serve the standard house wine in all of the restaurants, but that night it was particularly bad).

Here's a tip for you: To play it safe, just drink beer or ask for champagne. Those are hands down, the best drink choices you have.

A final note for this drink/beverage section is dedicated to the so called "Premium" drinks. One thing that I found appalling was that, in addition to the regular list of drinks, there was a list of premium drinks. Theoretically, this is not unusual and it is fair to provide your customer with options that cover luxury drinks (French champagne, Cognac, vintage whiskey and so on).
However, it is not ok if on that list you include liquors like Jagermeister, that are sold in any dive bar for like 4 dollars.

- Beach. The beach was nice, long and with a very welcoming adult area. The ocean water was beautiful and transparent to look at.
However, the area was not great because the seabed was mostly a sharp reef alternated by patches of sand and it was difficult to walk into the water (my wife didn't take a dip into the ocean once for this reason).

Another thing that really bothered me for our entire staying was that there were solicitors passing by multiple times a day (at least 10). Some of them were not from the resort (and this means that the security system they have in place was not good), but some were (meaning that they care more about pushing their massages than letting their customers relax).
Every day, multiple times a day I was asked if I wanted any sort of goods: handmade bracelets and necklaces, sunglasses, massages, pictures with any living animal on earth and so on. So annoying.

- Restaurants. I was welcoming the restaurants at night so that I could take a break from the awful food from the buffet. But even the restaurants were, for the most part, just fine.

The biggest disappointment was the quality of the desserts: none of them had decent ones. Since the dessert section of the buffets were pretty bad too, I can only conclude that their supplier for dessert was a bad one.

Also, it was quite annoying to find out that 2 of the restaurants (the French one and the one serving seafood) were restricted to Platinum guests only, unless you were willing to pay a $30 extra per person.
Now, again, I get that if you want the fancy romantic dinner on the beach with your private server they have to charge you an extra premium. But, seriously? For the French and seafood restaurant? Isn't is supposed to be an all-inclusive resort? Do words still have a meaning?

- Public bathrooms. Even though the overall cleanliness of the resort was good, the public bathrooms were often not so, for a couple of reasons.
First, the availability of public bathrooms was limited, particularly in the most crowded areas. More than once I found myself needing to walk longer than expected because there was a line in the bathroom.
Second, they were not cleaning them often enough.
As a result, the public bathrooms were often dirty or missing toilet paper of paper towels.

All in all, unless your taste buds are completely insensitive and you are really low key (but if you are, then you wouldn't go to a resort but to some less expensive alternative), I do not recommend choosing this resort for your vacation. There's plenty of resorts to choose from in this area and you deserve better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,575 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,439 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,992 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!