“watch your stuff and don't get Insurance”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #75 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 17, 2012

we went to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites for a week and we got worry free Insurance from Sunwings they said that everything will be covered but they lying.
my husband had injury they told him go to doctor pay it and when you came back claim it see the Insurance will give your money back or not. o.k . doctors will charge u $150.0 just for see u if u need something you have to pay extra
somebody have stolen our cellphone from our room , they deactivated our keys , they opened our room and they stole our cellphone. security did nothing they asked us to go the police
the police couldn't speak English we came back to hotel just paid $50 for taxi with no result . no body said sorry

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank tera k
There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed November 16, 2012

On a recent visit to Mexico I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess. My stay was stressful to say the least !

When my cousin and I arrived at the airport, there was mayhem. It seems 4 flights had arrived together and the officials just seemed to be milling around and not informing anyone of what was going on. To top things off, there were only FOUR checkpoints open out of TWENTY ONE. It took us two hours to get through the airport, then we had to find our couch. After finding our coach, we had another one and a half hour wait before everyone was on board and we were on our way. By this time everyone was exhausted and we just wanted to get to the hotel and rest up.

When we arrived at approx. 5:30pm the hotel looked really grand, so my spirits mere lifted. After a short wait we were checked in and left our bags for the porters to take to our room - twenty minutes they told us. Fine we thought and made our way to the room, that was when the fun really started !!

When we got to the room the there seemed what looked like blood stains on the floor and skirt of the bed and the towels were dirty. We went back and complained and they moved us to another room. We also had to collect our luggage as an hour later they still had not brought it to our room !

The second room had a powerful smell of damp as soon was we opened the door. The source was the bathroom ceiling there was a massive black stain, it was obvious there was a leak from the room above. As it was around 7pm, we were told that we would have to stay put and they would move us in the morning, so we had to sleep in that awful smelling room and I have respiratory issues so I was not feeling well in the morning. We were now getting really annoyed and early the next morning we went to see the reception about a third move. They informed us that they had another room but it would not be ready until 3pm. Please bear in mind that even though this hotel had quite a new guests, it was by no means at capacity !! We waited until 3pm and went to see them again. We were given the keys and made our way to the third room. All seemed to be fine until my cousin pointed out that it was a king size bed and not two doubles, as we had requested. I was near to tears and by now was looking to speak to the rep for a transfer to another hotel altogether. After pointing this out to both the rep and the reception they gave us another key for the room next door, which finally was fine and a jacuzzi - I thought great. I should have know better the jacuzzi malfunctioned and flooded the bathroom !

On the plus side - the food in the buffet area was really good, the staff were friendly and we met a cool couple from Vancouver.

Would I return to Mexico - yes but for me the Grand Sunset Princess certainly lost her crown and did not feel very regal at all NOT IMPRESSED !!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Chris H
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just returned from a week to attend our daughters wedding with 22 guests. We read many reviews and were a little worried as some (like the one just entered) are so negative. Our daughter chose this because it was both affordable for her friends and looked nice. I think she chose well. For $668 for platinum ocean view suite all inclusive for 1week I think you can put up with a few imperfections. We all felt the service was fabulous. The grounds were impeccably clean, the servers were so friendly and always there with a smile and offering more. Our room was spacious and well appointed. Pillow was really hard but with a $30 deposit ( first time I've had to do that) u can get a better one. Resort is big for sure. It's a 1km walk from the main lobby to the beach. The platinum section is right by the beach though. So it's very close (1 min walk). The platinum section on the beach gets you drink service not a better location. The beach is nice. I've seen both better and worse. Paying to $11 to use the Chill Out beach club was so worth it. Better drinks in nice glasses instead of plastic and snacks brought around -a little more special. Platinum gets your own concierge, free wifi, private lounge with newspapers and computers, private bar with breakfast, light lunch snacks and desert in the evening, better drinks, private platinum only pools with really great service, access to a couple of additional restaurants-all for $80 for the week. So worth it. The food is mainly buffet for 100's of people and so in my opinion is very average. Little use or garlic, herbs and spices but a variety and good breakfast. If I was to attend another all inclusive I'd bring a few of my favourite things and definitely some nuts there were no nuts :( being a vegetarian. I needed a little more protein. But again, at the price, no complaints. On occasion the gal cleaning our room was inconsistent with towels but I just popped out the door and could always find them close by cleaning a room so just asked for what I needed. They were more than happy to accommodate. If u are not on a 3rd floor platinum, chances are you won't have much of a view my son,s room had the best in 5211 a corner suite but also had 2 queens not a king. A couple of tips. Rent a car from the airport. We paid $107 for the week using our additional insurance from our credit card and not buying the expensive additional coverage. It saved us tons of taxi and additional travel costs when booking excursions and was great to have the freedom of our own wheels. You cant go to mexico and not leave the compound of the hotel, there is much more outside the walls. Also buy some better wine from mega or even better Europia before u check in and bring it to your dinners. They are happy to serve it to you - no corkage. But bring your own corkscrew for your room. You won't find one there. We honestly think they did a great job for the money. If I'd spent double the money I would be expecting a lot more but have to give the staff 100%

Room Tip: Choose platinum 3rd floor 5211 was best view with 2 beds or try 5212 with a king good privacy
10  Thank vancouver_realtor
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very nice resort, beach bbqs every day. Nice beach, really nice staff. The only thing I didn't really care for is where the night events are. It is in a room on the second floor and I felt I like I was walking into a conference centre.

The rooms were very modern and clean as well.

Room Tip: Go for the swim out room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Ottawa_Golferguy
Reviewed November 10, 2012

As a family of four, I was unimpressed with the Sunset. Apparently Kleenex is an upgrade option. Have two little girls and one had a cold so we needed to wipe her nose regularly. The concierge at the Sunset said that Kleenex was an upgrade service only offered to Platinum members. What?? I have travelled in North America, Europe and Mexico and Kleenex has ALWAYS been available, even in cheap hotels. What a laugh. I will soon be posting a picture of a roll of toilet paper with "Princess Sunset Kleenex" on it to let everyone know they are cheap. How expensive is Kleenex?!?!

Also, room service was pathetic. The hotel manager should be ashamed. There were four of us staying in one room but the number of towels we received daily was between 2 and 4. It was obvious that we were a family of four staying in the room with a pack-and-play and toys.

We were give two bottles of water per day in our fridge but they missed our room a few times and we were out of bottled water for several days. Repeated calls to Room Service were a waste of time. The concierge promised water and towels but they never came. He is either a liar or an idiot.

The fridge was "stocked" with two cans of beer per day. When you're in your room in the evening with two sleeping little children and you can't go out, two cans of beer does not cut it. Not what I expected from an supposed all-inclusive.

There was no reading light in the room by the sofa so we could read while the kids were asleep at night.

There is no WiFi zone. Princess wants you to take it up the butt for US$20/day for the privilege of providing something that most other hotels either offer for free or at a nominal price. (There are other all inclusive resorts that are better by far.)

Finally, there seemed to be very few pool or beach staff taking drink orders. Pool-side service as lacking.

Overall the hotel attitude seemed to be indifferent. It was an "almost inclusive" but definitely not an "all inclusive" and the service was terrible.

5  Thank Ken D
Reviewed November 8, 2012

If u have health problems, heart, bad knees etc not the hotel for u. Concierge a big disappointment not helpfull unless u push him. Hotel cheap on little things like kleenex water in rooms and $ 20 bucks a day for internet and no free zone, The one k walk to beach from lobby was not expected....Isn t this the same hotel that blew up killing and injuring a bunch of tourists?CV Canada

Room Tip: stay on lower floors as only 2 elevators
9  Thank familynorth222
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I got married here on 10/30/12. It literally could not have been more perfect. The wedding coordinator Araceli was so sweet and so helpful, our photographer Lillo took about the prettiest wedding pictures I have ever seen. If you or anyone you know of are planning a destination wedding, I really can't recommend this place enough.

As far as the resort, it is really big. There is so much to do. I liked how big it was; with as much as we were eating and drinking, we needed to walk! In fact I weighed myself when I got home and lost 5 lbs.? Not sure how that happened but I am happy! We made a point to ride a jet ski, go to some of the shows at night, and we went to Coco Bongo! You need to go to Coco Bongo, (the whole disco, dancing, thing is not really my scene) however, it was amazing- way different than anything I have ever seen before so do yourself a favor and spend the $60 bucks and go. I really enjoyed the main pool, we got to meet a lot of new people and everyone was so nice. There were tons of people from Canada there, made me want to move to Canada- those people are AWESOME! The service was excellent, the room was beautiful. We got a swim out pool; we really didn't use it that much because we enjoyed the main pool so much. Both of our families and some friends came with us, even though the place is large, we always ran into each other so that was nice because there really isn't an easy way to get in touch with people when you are there. The service is amazing, tip those people- they live there, work around 12 hours a day, they get to eat and drink for free, BUT they only make 50 pesos a day. So even though gratuity is included, tip them extra.

The food. I enjoyed the food. The breakfast is the same everyday but there is a lot to choose from so it was still good. Lunch was good too. Everything was good but nothing was just amazing. I was ready for American food when I got home. Dinners were good. I enjoyed Mama Mia (which a lot of people didn't) because I got the veal. I don't ever order veal but it was definitely the best thing we ha there, also get the caprese salad. The steak place was excellent. The hibachi was my husband’s favorite meal by far! We had the Miso for our wedding meal with our family and it was also really good. I would skip the Mexican; it was my least favorite by far. The drinks, they are awesome! Pretty much anything I ordered, I enjoyed.

All in all, this was a 5 star resort to me; I wouldn't have changed a thing about our wedding or our stay. We are already planning our next trip back!

Room Tip: Get in the 2000's. It is by the main pool and in the middle of everything.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Megan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!