“Fantastic Time!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Fantastic Time!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here with a group of 9 (4 rooms). We had a great time, resort was beautiful, no major complaints at all. No troubles with the food or drinks
My tips would be:
Call ahead to ensure you get the correct bed configuration (our travel agent didn't do this and we got a double when we arranged for a king). However they offered to push the doubles together and move us to a King suite when one came up. We didn't bother.
Don't be an id!ot, yes, marble is slippery. Be careful.
Upgrade to Platinum. Do it. The shuttles run from the Platinum lounge (which are handy, but not required, don't be lazy). The private pool is lovely and the bar staff are great.
Book your restaurants ahead, they do book out. But the buffet is also fantastic. Definetely try the Tepanyaki, great fun.
Cab it to Playa Del Carmen, fantastic night out!
Really have nothing bad to say about the place. We went in October and it didn't rain once! Perfect weather. Go on some tours and see the area, its lovely.

Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a resort in Mexico.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jesse S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This resort is "two" resorts which really are two halves of the same resort. It's enormous and has many restaurants, shops, pools, bars and even a dance club. You won't be bored. The grounds are well-maintained and everything generally looks like it was built within the last 5 years or so.

Rooms all have a balcony and while I wouldn't call them "suites" they are large. The decor is rather uninspired but still looks nice and is functional - lots of seating too. And there's a safe (I wondered this but couldn't find it on the website anywhere so thought I'd mention it). There's an ironing board but no iron (apparently you need to call for it).

The food was not always amazing - presentation was generally quite good but not always great on taste. There are a lot of diverse options but be aware that the restaurants fill up so book all of your meals when you arrive. The buffet was not thrilling in terms of food quality.

Service was pretty good - friendly staff who got to know us during our stay, especially Yara at the pool and Guadalupe at the lobby bar.

One negative which is actually a big negative but I am wishfully thinking is a fluke - a security guard told two gay friends of mine to stop hugging at the pool because there were children around. This type of intolerance is disgusting but we generally found the rest of the staff to be tolerant. Something to keep in mind and curious what other travelers' experiences are - I would not recommend this place if this is a trend.

Finally, be prepared to be off the grid. Internet is $20 a day and is only really functional in the lobby, and it's spotty at best. I'm surprised that a resort of this scale doesn't have better Internet service.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank sameoldg2
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first all inclusive. We stayed in the Yucatan Platinum Adults only section. This was very much worth the upgrade. By upgrading to platinum, you get free in room wifi, free 24 hour room service, access to a private lounge with premium drinks and wifi, access to platinum only pools and access to platinum only beach area with drink service. The room was immaculate, extremely clean and had a whirlpool tub. The only downfall of booking in this section is you are furthest from the beach. Its about a 10 minute walk, but there is a golf cart service that passes every 15-20 minutes and will drive you down. Bonus of where the rooms are is that you are closest to the restaurants and lobby.
We arrived at 11 Am and only got our room around 3pm. I was a little disappointed with this as I arrived battling one hell of a cold and all I wanted to do was get into my room and sleep for a while. I ended up sleeping on a couch in the lobby. I told the clerk I was really sick, could he please try and get us a room faster and he said he would see what he could do... But by 3pm my boyfriend had to go up to the counter and ask for the room, which by then was ready.
Other than that, everything was wonderful! The pools are pristine, pool bars are great. The pool in the middle of the resort has a dj pretty much all day. This was the party pool. Raul is the bartender there and he is absolutely fantastic! Dances, sings, makes amazing drinks. Never watered down. Was hard to get chairs in the shade at this pool if you arrived after 10 am.
The food was good. I always managed to find something to eat and I am very picky with food. The buffets had so much choice! Very clean! The servers were very quick with drinks and clearing plates.
We went to 2 a la cartes, the oriental and the italian. They were descent. Dont expect 5 star food but was still good. Hard to get reservations though. Try and reserve the day you get there. Being platinum, we had a private concierge who did the reservations for us. If you dont get what you want, go back daily as people switch their reservations or cancel all the time. I was surprised that we had trouble reserving because when we went to both restaurants, they were both half empty. So maybe if you just showed up with out a reservation you may be able to get in.
The beach is beautiful but a little rocky and has a lot of erosion. There are vendors right on the beach who can be a bit annoying! Always asking if you want a massage, your photo taken, a tour ect. We just started ignoring them.
We didnt bring kids, but from what i could see, the kids club seemed wonderful! I believe the hours ran from around 830 am to 530 pm and then from 7pm to 11pm. So if you want to go on a family trip without always having to take care of your kiddies, this resort is perfect. Like I said we didnt bring the kids so I am not sure how to register but the animators were always playing with the kids and all I saw was smiling faces.
Every evening at the lounge bar in between the 2 buffets they have live music and shows. One night they set up vendors in that area, sort of like a flea market. The artists are amazing! On guy was making paintings with spray paint and they were stunning! We bought one. They were 20$ each or 2 for 30$. He had so many orders that we bought one that was pre made instead of waiting for ours to be made in front of us.
The swim out rooms looked really cool but many of the people we spoke to who had them said they rarely used them. Most people spent their time at the party pool instead of their swim out. The swim outs are part of most of the pools, so it is not private, anyone can be swimming right in front of your room. They are the most expensive to book. When we told people about what the platinum package gave us and that is was at least 200$ cheaper than a swim out, they said they would have preffered taking the platinum package.
Once per day there is a complimentary shuttle to Playa del Carmen. You have to book this in the lobby the day before you are planning to go. There are only 42 reservations per day and they hand out tickets at 8am every day. Be there at 730! Otherwise a taxi to Playa will cost 20$ there and another 20$ back. Shopping there is hectic, very pushy! I was kinda uncomfortable to ask a price because once they give you the price of the item they push and push for you to buy it. They drop the price big time! One place we asked the price of some jewelery and he started at 850$ US. By the time we were walking out the price was down to 200$US so negotiate!
We booked our only tour at a tequila store on 5th avenue. Was way cheaper than the tours offered at the hotel. We paid 50$ US each for an all day tour of Tulum, Coba, Mayan village and Cenotes. Unfortunatly we never made it to the Cenotes, instead they brought us to a beautiful beach for about an hour. The tour was booked with Easy Tours. They seemed unorganized but we got to see what we wanted to see and paid less than half of what the hotel tour companies were charging. We were picked up right at our hotel and dropped off there. We had a guided tour of both places. Our guide was very knowlegeable and spoke both english and german.
All in all our trip was amazing! I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a 5 star at a good price. The staff is wonderful, place is beyond clean and the food is good. Drinks are not watered down at all and if you like strong drinks just ask for a double! You will not be disappointed at this resort. And please tip well, these people make about 4$ per day for an 8 hour shift and they pool their tips.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to platinum, do it! Its so worth it. Yucatan platinum is furthest away...
6 Thank stephanie b
Reviewed October 29, 2012

29.09-8.10.12 - Stay in Yucatan Platinum Swim Out Suits # 31035 - good located .
1. Arrived in resort appx.10:30am, got NOT MY SUITE at appx.5:30pm. Have to move again next day to my suite in Yucatan. By this commotion I left my 185 US $$ clock by Tv set in the first room and HAD TO SAY GOODBYE TO IT. Oh well this was spy clock , and maybe they did not like it. Well I'll invest again , because to many travellers are victims of the theft and left all alone without any help due to luck of proof - right ?
2. Absolute NOT TRUE swimming pool is all day in the shade - FALLS !!! Sunny from the wee morning till noon , at least at this time of year . Summer should be all day long , guessing.
Swimming was so yummy at any time you desire it , even at night . Jacuzzi is in bad condition and not providing all the massage . Suite itself is in shade and not much is drying on the balcony , but a brake from hot sunny day on the lounge chair is a relaxing thing . I am very pleased with maid service and room service . Not so happy with no bar in the room - only welcome 3/375ml bottles of rum/tequila/whiskey. 5 Stars ????? Please be aware of mosquitos hiding in the bathroom and the closet.
3.A LA CARTE !!! - Only Oriental Chef Miguel gave me a great treat . Seafood,Mexican - the same building with no taste to decor and atmosphere nor food .....blahhh
Me and my GF try 3-4 a la carte and decided for buffet with wayyyy better selection to satisfied
your tommy.
4.Beach is good , not so clean, waters little rough with stones and rocks here and there. Great lounge time - so quiet at VIP -but 11$ a day. Think it was worth it.
5.Trip to Woman Island by catamaran was okay and could be better without rain.
Coba trip , very interesting and exhausting . Climbing pyramid , swimming in the cave , walking trough Mayan village - good organic lunch !! Shaman with rituals - goodie !!
6. End up with terrible poison effect by contact with ??? - plant, tree ...or bite ... Nobody knows.
few hrs after return from Coba trip notice redness on my left hand. This is the reason I did not posted review after return - I was in the hospital . Tomorrow final tests.
CONCLUSION:
It's been great to stay in this resort and will return , but local beauties I will see on the internet - tnx , I'll be better off the trips to the jungle in the rain season . ASK QUESTIONS ON THE BRIEFING ABOUT POISON PLANTS AND TREES AND RAIN DROPS !!

Room Tip: Yucatan swim out # 31035 second suite in second building - quiet , private no kids bar almost across...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marenek
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

we travelled to the mayan riviera and stayed at the grand sunset princess from sept 29-oct 6 for our anniversary. we have never been anywhere tropical at this time of year and we were a bit leary as we have read how people do not get the service they should and all the locals are there. first of all we will be going back again the same time next year as we had the best personalized service we have ever had.next when people say "The Locals" get over it. Thats like saying i can't stay in a hotel in my own city for a break because i live there. thats just dumb. the hotel was absolutely stunning. The staff all friendly and very helpful and attentive. we stayed in the platinum suite and had a concierge that booked our ala cartes and looked after our every need. the only downside is we requested upper level room with a king bed and got a lower level with two doubles. we requested to change rooms for the next day, but we changed our mind when we woke up had our coffee and watched all the coaties in the tree by our patio. there was a definite stagnant smell off our patio but it was not sewer like everyone was saying, its called stagnant water ;and you get used to it. to many complain and don't enjoy. you should stay in your own city and become more of a local. the restraunts were all good and the buffet was just as good. we would recommend upgrading to platinum as it is well worth it.you get a private area on the beach with butler service which is nice if you are to lazy to move your butt to the bar which we were at times.have a good time, and enjoy.

Room Tip: upgrade to platinum it is worth it.
10 Thank aldan40
Pottstown, PA
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I spent our 2nd anniversary at this resort, and had a great time. Stayed in the Laguna Villas, and would definitely recommend the upgrade, especially since the price difference isn't all that much. Everything was kept very clean, pools were awesome. The women at the spa gave great massages. Staff was super helpful and friendly. I've been to St. Thomas, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Bahamas, to name a few, and this was by far the best trip ever. If I had to give a negative, it would be the size is HUGE, and makes for a lot of walking. The beach was a little rocky, but, the hotel provides a free shuttle to Playa del Carmen (sign up early, it fills up fast!). And the food...it is ok, typical for an all inclusive. We had a late flight out, and they provided a shower area, to change in, so we could stay in our bathings suits and swim between check out and when we had to go to the airport. Great service in all areas. Overall, had a great, great, trip. Not only would I return, but, I can't wait to do so!!

Room Tip: Sign up as early as possible for the shuttle to Playa del Carmen.
4 Thank Jen716
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just returned yesterday, and all I can think is what a wonderful hotel this was! The food was phenomenal; the service top-notch; rooms and grounds were super clean; there is nothing negative that I could think to add! Some tips: #1: Book through Book it--they gave us a free up-grade to a Jr. Deluxe suite because we booked in the off-season. We also got transportation to and from the airport included, which saved us a bucket of money! Next time we will pay the extra and get a swim-up room, though. #2: If the restaurant you want to go to is not available, you can arrive when they open (6:00 pm) and ask to speak with the manager, telling them you were unable to get a reservation. We got into El Fondue with no problem in this way! #3: As previously mentioned, if you plan on taking advantage of the restaurant option (which is totally NOT necessary because the buffets are so wonderful!), make sure you have long pants and closed-toe shoes for the men in the group.

I loved it so much that I am planning a family reunion there for next year...and already counting the days!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the swim-up!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,662 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,508 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,112 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!