“Excellent place! will go back for sure!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent place! will go back for sure!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first all inclusive. We stayed in the Yucatan Platinum Adults only section. This was very much worth the upgrade. By upgrading to platinum, you get free in room wifi, free 24 hour room service, access to a private lounge with premium drinks and wifi, access to platinum only pools and access to platinum only beach area with drink service. The room was immaculate, extremely clean and had a whirlpool tub. The only downfall of booking in this section is you are furthest from the beach. Its about a 10 minute walk, but there is a golf cart service that passes every 15-20 minutes and will drive you down. Bonus of where the rooms are is that you are closest to the restaurants and lobby.
We arrived at 11 Am and only got our room around 3pm. I was a little disappointed with this as I arrived battling one hell of a cold and all I wanted to do was get into my room and sleep for a while. I ended up sleeping on a couch in the lobby. I told the clerk I was really sick, could he please try and get us a room faster and he said he would see what he could do... But by 3pm my boyfriend had to go up to the counter and ask for the room, which by then was ready.
Other than that, everything was wonderful! The pools are pristine, pool bars are great. The pool in the middle of the resort has a dj pretty much all day. This was the party pool. Raul is the bartender there and he is absolutely fantastic! Dances, sings, makes amazing drinks. Never watered down. Was hard to get chairs in the shade at this pool if you arrived after 10 am.
The food was good. I always managed to find something to eat and I am very picky with food. The buffets had so much choice! Very clean! The servers were very quick with drinks and clearing plates.
We went to 2 a la cartes, the oriental and the italian. They were descent. Dont expect 5 star food but was still good. Hard to get reservations though. Try and reserve the day you get there. Being platinum, we had a private concierge who did the reservations for us. If you dont get what you want, go back daily as people switch their reservations or cancel all the time. I was surprised that we had trouble reserving because when we went to both restaurants, they were both half empty. So maybe if you just showed up with out a reservation you may be able to get in.
The beach is beautiful but a little rocky and has a lot of erosion. There are vendors right on the beach who can be a bit annoying! Always asking if you want a massage, your photo taken, a tour ect. We just started ignoring them.
We didnt bring kids, but from what i could see, the kids club seemed wonderful! I believe the hours ran from around 830 am to 530 pm and then from 7pm to 11pm. So if you want to go on a family trip without always having to take care of your kiddies, this resort is perfect. Like I said we didnt bring the kids so I am not sure how to register but the animators were always playing with the kids and all I saw was smiling faces.
Every evening at the lounge bar in between the 2 buffets they have live music and shows. One night they set up vendors in that area, sort of like a flea market. The artists are amazing! On guy was making paintings with spray paint and they were stunning! We bought one. They were 20$ each or 2 for 30$. He had so many orders that we bought one that was pre made instead of waiting for ours to be made in front of us.
The swim out rooms looked really cool but many of the people we spoke to who had them said they rarely used them. Most people spent their time at the party pool instead of their swim out. The swim outs are part of most of the pools, so it is not private, anyone can be swimming right in front of your room. They are the most expensive to book. When we told people about what the platinum package gave us and that is was at least 200$ cheaper than a swim out, they said they would have preffered taking the platinum package.
Once per day there is a complimentary shuttle to Playa del Carmen. You have to book this in the lobby the day before you are planning to go. There are only 42 reservations per day and they hand out tickets at 8am every day. Be there at 730! Otherwise a taxi to Playa will cost 20$ there and another 20$ back. Shopping there is hectic, very pushy! I was kinda uncomfortable to ask a price because once they give you the price of the item they push and push for you to buy it. They drop the price big time! One place we asked the price of some jewelery and he started at 850$ US. By the time we were walking out the price was down to 200$US so negotiate!
We booked our only tour at a tequila store on 5th avenue. Was way cheaper than the tours offered at the hotel. We paid 50$ US each for an all day tour of Tulum, Coba, Mayan village and Cenotes. Unfortunatly we never made it to the Cenotes, instead they brought us to a beautiful beach for about an hour. The tour was booked with Easy Tours. They seemed unorganized but we got to see what we wanted to see and paid less than half of what the hotel tour companies were charging. We were picked up right at our hotel and dropped off there. We had a guided tour of both places. Our guide was very knowlegeable and spoke both english and german.
All in all our trip was amazing! I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a 5 star at a good price. The staff is wonderful, place is beyond clean and the food is good. Drinks are not watered down at all and if you like strong drinks just ask for a double! You will not be disappointed at this resort. And please tip well, these people make about 4$ per day for an 8 hour shift and they pool their tips.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to platinum, do it! Its so worth it. Yucatan platinum is furthest away...
6 Thank stephanie b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,383)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 29, 2012

29.09-8.10.12 - Stay in Yucatan Platinum Swim Out Suits # 31035 - good located .
1. Arrived in resort appx.10:30am, got NOT MY SUITE at appx.5:30pm. Have to move again next day to my suite in Yucatan. By this commotion I left my 185 US $$ clock by Tv set in the first room and HAD TO SAY GOODBYE TO IT. Oh well this was spy clock , and maybe they did not like it. Well I'll invest again , because to many travellers are victims of the theft and left all alone without any help due to luck of proof - right ?
2. Absolute NOT TRUE swimming pool is all day in the shade - FALLS !!! Sunny from the wee morning till noon , at least at this time of year . Summer should be all day long , guessing.
Swimming was so yummy at any time you desire it , even at night . Jacuzzi is in bad condition and not providing all the massage . Suite itself is in shade and not much is drying on the balcony , but a brake from hot sunny day on the lounge chair is a relaxing thing . I am very pleased with maid service and room service . Not so happy with no bar in the room - only welcome 3/375ml bottles of rum/tequila/whiskey. 5 Stars ????? Please be aware of mosquitos hiding in the bathroom and the closet.
3.A LA CARTE !!! - Only Oriental Chef Miguel gave me a great treat . Seafood,Mexican - the same building with no taste to decor and atmosphere nor food .....blahhh
Me and my GF try 3-4 a la carte and decided for buffet with wayyyy better selection to satisfied
your tommy.
4.Beach is good , not so clean, waters little rough with stones and rocks here and there. Great lounge time - so quiet at VIP -but 11$ a day. Think it was worth it.
5.Trip to Woman Island by catamaran was okay and could be better without rain.
Coba trip , very interesting and exhausting . Climbing pyramid , swimming in the cave , walking trough Mayan village - good organic lunch !! Shaman with rituals - goodie !!
6. End up with terrible poison effect by contact with ??? - plant, tree ...or bite ... Nobody knows.
few hrs after return from Coba trip notice redness on my left hand. This is the reason I did not posted review after return - I was in the hospital . Tomorrow final tests.
CONCLUSION:
It's been great to stay in this resort and will return , but local beauties I will see on the internet - tnx , I'll be better off the trips to the jungle in the rain season . ASK QUESTIONS ON THE BRIEFING ABOUT POISON PLANTS AND TREES AND RAIN DROPS !!

Room Tip: Yucatan swim out # 31035 second suite in second building - quiet , private no kids bar almost across...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marenek
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

we travelled to the mayan riviera and stayed at the grand sunset princess from sept 29-oct 6 for our anniversary. we have never been anywhere tropical at this time of year and we were a bit leary as we have read how people do not get the service they should and all the locals are there. first of all we will be going back again the same time next year as we had the best personalized service we have ever had.next when people say "The Locals" get over it. Thats like saying i can't stay in a hotel in my own city for a break because i live there. thats just dumb. the hotel was absolutely stunning. The staff all friendly and very helpful and attentive. we stayed in the platinum suite and had a concierge that booked our ala cartes and looked after our every need. the only downside is we requested upper level room with a king bed and got a lower level with two doubles. we requested to change rooms for the next day, but we changed our mind when we woke up had our coffee and watched all the coaties in the tree by our patio. there was a definite stagnant smell off our patio but it was not sewer like everyone was saying, its called stagnant water ;and you get used to it. to many complain and don't enjoy. you should stay in your own city and become more of a local. the restraunts were all good and the buffet was just as good. we would recommend upgrading to platinum as it is well worth it.you get a private area on the beach with butler service which is nice if you are to lazy to move your butt to the bar which we were at times.have a good time, and enjoy.

Room Tip: upgrade to platinum it is worth it.
10 Thank aldan40
Pottstown, PA
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I spent our 2nd anniversary at this resort, and had a great time. Stayed in the Laguna Villas, and would definitely recommend the upgrade, especially since the price difference isn't all that much. Everything was kept very clean, pools were awesome. The women at the spa gave great massages. Staff was super helpful and friendly. I've been to St. Thomas, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Bahamas, to name a few, and this was by far the best trip ever. If I had to give a negative, it would be the size is HUGE, and makes for a lot of walking. The beach was a little rocky, but, the hotel provides a free shuttle to Playa del Carmen (sign up early, it fills up fast!). And the food...it is ok, typical for an all inclusive. We had a late flight out, and they provided a shower area, to change in, so we could stay in our bathings suits and swim between check out and when we had to go to the airport. Great service in all areas. Overall, had a great, great, trip. Not only would I return, but, I can't wait to do so!!

Room Tip: Sign up as early as possible for the shuttle to Playa del Carmen.
4 Thank Jen716
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just returned yesterday, and all I can think is what a wonderful hotel this was! The food was phenomenal; the service top-notch; rooms and grounds were super clean; there is nothing negative that I could think to add! Some tips: #1: Book through Book it--they gave us a free up-grade to a Jr. Deluxe suite because we booked in the off-season. We also got transportation to and from the airport included, which saved us a bucket of money! Next time we will pay the extra and get a swim-up room, though. #2: If the restaurant you want to go to is not available, you can arrive when they open (6:00 pm) and ask to speak with the manager, telling them you were unable to get a reservation. We got into El Fondue with no problem in this way! #3: As previously mentioned, if you plan on taking advantage of the restaurant option (which is totally NOT necessary because the buffets are so wonderful!), make sure you have long pants and closed-toe shoes for the men in the group.

I loved it so much that I am planning a family reunion there for next year...and already counting the days!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the swim-up!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank DebM788
Oxford, PA
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just returned last night from Grand Sunset Princess. Overall, we had a very nice experience. We booked a Platinum Suite and upgrades were worth it for the price. When we arrived, we were greeted with a glass (or two) of champagne. Our room was ready early and we were escorted to it within just a few minutes.

The place is massive! It was about a ten minute walk from our Platinum area at the beach to the main buffets/lounge/entertainment area but a shuttle was available at different time intervals during the day. We ended up spending most of our time closer to our area and ventured up there some at night.

When we first arrived in our room, we realized that we were not given the king size bed we had requested but two twins pushed together. We requested the change but apparently king size beds are at a premium here. The second thing we noticed is the smell from our ocean view room. It overlooked a swamp (with a crocodile!) and had a pretty bad odor. We were told by others that the smell was the same in all of the ocean view rooms. It did actually wane as the week went on but maybe we were just used to it. The room itself was very nice and cleaned adequately and early daily. The pools were very nice. Easy to find a quiet area, if that's what you like or party area in that case. We had a small private pool with drink service in the Platinum area that was very nice. Platinum lounge always had snacks all day. Small sandwiches in the afternoon were great. One morning, midway through our week, we went to one of the main pools by the platinum area. My daughter jumped in and was holding on to the way waiting for us to get in and let out a blood curdling scream. I got closer and saw that there was a snake in the water right next to her. She said it was holding its head up hissing at her! I pulled her out of the water and she was petrified, of course! Right away, a lifeguard or some type of security was there looking for it. It swam around the pool and jumped out into the bushes next to the pool. My daughter needed to go to our room to calm down but when we returned, they had caught the snake with a snake pole and taken it away. My daughter said the snake was brown and according to one fellow traveler, based on this possibly poisonous. Apparently, this situation is extremely rare but scary, nonetheless. Amazingly, my daughter was able to regroup and get back in when we explained how rare but she insisted and we agreed that we'd be in the pool every moment she was.

The food at this resort is marginal. You can find something at the buffets but most people I spoke to tired of the buffets by the end of the week. With the Platinum upgrade, you can go to an a la carte restaurant every night. Restaurants were ok, with the exception of La Fleur. This one was great! We had great steak fillets prepared perfectly and the atmosphere was beautiful and included a a pianist during dinner.

The beach itself at this resort is very beautiful. There is a large crowded main area in front of a snack hut (hamburgers, hot dogs & usually paella - just ok) & beach bar with platinum area and adults only area just beyond. The platinum area does have butler service but at an extremely slow pace. The one and only day we sat in this area, we saw the server once in two hours. Exploring a little bit further down the beach, I found a quieter, more secluded area with plenty of lounge chairs and palapas. The ocean, as many others have said is not the perfect clear blue you would expect. It's green with actually, some brown that moves with the tide. You must be very careful because at some times lots of rocks are exposed as you go in but when you get beyond them, it's just fine for adults. It was wavy and rocky enough, though, that my daughter didn't want to go in.

The grounds of this resort are lush and beautiful and constantly being maintained. The whole resort, too, for that matter. Everywhere we went someone was pruning or cleaning something.

The service was generally very nice and we received an "hola" from just about everyone we passed. The wait service was very nice, especially, Jese at La Tortuga. We asked for him every time. I will say, though, that the bartenders at the beach weren't that friendly but all in all the rest of the staff was extremely nice and courteous.

We did meet many new, interesting people here and made some new friends!

We booked through BookIt.com and paid for an airport shuttle through Best Day. You can get to and from the airport much cheaper and more conveniently taking a taxi. They're readily available at Cancun airport and in front of the resort.

I would probably go somewhere else next time, partially because of the food but mainly because of the ocean. I'll look for something calmer and bluer. It took us a couple of days to get acclimated at this resort but ended up having a beautiful time.

Room Tip: Pay for the Platinum upgrade. Worth it for the proximity to the ocean and extra amenities you recei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank MelissaCap
Valrico, Florida
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This resort was understaffed and dirty. i have been to many all inclusive resorts and this was the very worse. if it was properly staffed it could have been one of the best. room never cleand properly. dining areas alway had dirty tables. the staff was just not able to serve you because they were so understaffed. save you time and money

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!