“Had a fabulous vacation!”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #74 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was with a group of 9 women and we stayed in the Grand Yucatan adults only section. We had the swim out rooms and loved it! There was hardly anyone at the pool in this section - maybe we scared them away :) Leticia who works the bar there was wonderful! She even delivered a tray of drinks to one of our rooms one night as we were all getting ready to head out for dinner.

We also spent time on the beach and the water was beautiful - a bit rocky getting in, but worth it!

We ate at a few of the restaurants and enjoyed them all. We had the concierge book all of our reservations as soon as we arrived.

The only problem we encountered was one girl had her iphone stolen from her room while we were at dinner. She had been using it at the pool (nobody else around but us 9) and then that evening while we were at dinner someone entered her room and took it - they did not take anything else...She had forgotten to put it in the safe before leaving - so be sure to put anything of value in the safe - better yet, leave it home. The resort staff were not very helpful and would not even give her a copy of the incident/police report so she could show it to her insurance company.

But we did not let that incident ruin our trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Katherine M
Write a ReviewReviews (9,200)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from Sep 23-30 for my first time visit to cancun. I booked the platinum suite because I wanted the jacuzzi in my balcony. But I was pretty disappointed when i arrived, the jacuzzi is sooo dirty that i just don't want to touch it at all. Anyway, the advantage of platinum package is that your room is closed to the "shuttle bus station", believe me, you will need to take the bus from time to time, the resort is just sooo big. Other than that, your room is closed to the beach, less walking. And you will have a private pool and concierge and ROOM SERVICE!! its important because only platinum and the higher level ones have it.

HOUSE KEEPING: i had the weirdest experience with this hotel's house keeping. my bf and i went to the beach in the morning, then when we came back the room was clean and neat, then we go out to eat something, then the weirdest thing happened, when we came back and our pillows were messed and everywhere on our bed. we didn't touch the bed and pillows when we came back from the beach. So I was pretty scared if someone came to my room and check our stuffs and plan to steal something,i dunno. just makes me really uncomfortable. because my bf and i kept our room card in and out, theres no way anyone would go into my room except the stuffs.

FOOD: this resort has 12 restaurants, but they open 4 each day. the food is ok, not bad, but not delicious.

SERVICE: a server called Patricia, who works at the buffet, i believe she is a supervisor or something. SHE IS THE WORST SERVER EVER. i have never ever been treated like this. ok here's wut happen. The breakfast hour of the buffet is around 7-11, then lunch is started at 12:30. my bf and i didn't know exactly what time does the lunch buffet started, and we were already standing outside of the buffet wondering ( it was 12noon), there is NO time-table what-so-ever outside the buffet to let you know what time they open, there is only a "closed" sign (written in spanish and english) hang on the door. So my bf and i decide to go inside and ask them what time they open. Then Patricia approached us with a straight face, as she was approaching, she was mouthing to us and tell us the buffet is closed, not open yet, get out. then i asked her what time does it open. she said its 12:30pm and there is a time-table that you can check, i look around theres is NO timetable at all (inside and outside), then she rush us out and take off the "close" sign from the door and said to me "CLOSED, english, spanish, C-L-O-S-E-D". HOLY FU*K, is she mocking me?????? how rude is she?!?!?! i was SOOOO pissed off and yes, she just ruin my appetite.

i will definitely not coming back to this hotel. bad bad bad service, bad bad bad house keeping, one more thing to add-on. On my 2nd day of arrival, it rain the whole day, so i can't go to the beach or pool, this hotel has nothing to do. even thought it has a "theater room", the most stupid + cheap design theater room ever, all the seats are in ground level, its like a big gym. it has soooooooo many chairs and if u happen to sit at the back, there is NOT way that u can see the front. and their shows? come on, soooo boring and stupid.

well yes, i will not go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Platinum and higher level. though platinum is undoubtedly better, because it is closed to the shut...
5  Thank beelau
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our 3rd time to Cancun, 1st time at The Grand Princess. We were there from Sept 25-Oct 2, 2012. We had such an amazing time we are already planning on returning next year. Upon check-in, we were upgraded to the jr. suite with separate jacuzzi tub with jets. Yay! The resort is big and beautiful. The grounds are immaculate! The buffet was pretty good and the a la carte restaurants were fun. Yes, there are rocks at the beach, but bring water shoes and you will be good to go. There are lots of little fish if you swim (or walk) about 1/4 mile out. I'm only 5'3" and the water was never above my chest, so this is great especially if you have small children with you. The room was cleaned very well every day and the fridge was fully stocked. My husband and I used the gym every day which you will need after eating all that great food. Samuel was our waiter a few times and he is excellent! Everyone is very friendly and says hola as you pass by. We went to the sports bar a few times to watch some sports and eat nachos. The staff by the pool who do the activities are very fun. You can participate or just watch. It's up to you. If you wanted to sunbathe someplace more quiet, there are other pools to hang out at. I was so in awe of this resort even on the 8th day when we left. I highly recommend this resort....I miss it already!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank BBDoll619
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were at the Grand Sunset Princess on September 5 to the 12th. It was our first time to Mexico. We got the Platinum package when we booked our tickets. We give this resort a 10 out of 10 for everything. What a lovely place to spend your vacation. We were treated like royalty. Our concierge Octavio and Estavan at the Platinum suits were incredible, always with a smile on their faces and ready to help with any situation. Our 10 year old daughter had a sniffle and Octavio called a pharmacy in town to bring us a decongestant, it arrived a few hours after our request. Our room smelled a bit musty when we first walked in and we told Estevan and he switched our room immediately. We had dinner in the A la carte 3 times, the Japanese was an amazing and fun dinner, Italian was awesome and steak house was superb. The buffet was amazing, so many choices and all looked and tasted very fresh. The drinks were very good. The service is second to none, we enjoyed chatting with some of the employees and respect there efforts to do the best they could. I can't say enough about this resort, we were 100% satisfied with everything. The beach was beautiful, we went very early (6am) to see the sunrise and there were people cleaning, to be exact raking the sand so it would be perfect. The pool was amazing. Platinum is the way to go. This resort is so CLEAN, there are people everywhere cleaning and smiling making sure everything was perfect. The shows, we saw three, were very entertaining and fun. The gift shop was not over priced and very clean. When you passed an employee they always greeted us with "HOLA" and a big smile. I have never tipped so much in my life, but these people sure deserved it. This was a vacation of a lifetime and I would definitely go back and stay the 10 days or more. We hope to go at Christmas time or February again. Our special Thanks to Octavio at the Platinum concierge for all his help. Book your trip at the Sunset Princess (Platinum) and you will not regret it, in fact you will never forget it!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4128 in the Platinum section and it was perfect!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank TinaA644
Reviewed October 3, 2012

It is well worth it to upgrade to the Platinum program. You get better rooms (ocean front, nicer rooms, two jaccuzzis -- one on the balcony overlooking the ocean) and can use the a la carte restaurants without paying extra. Plus you have a private concierge only open to Platinum program guests -- very nice.

One well-kept secret: There is a beach club area roped off from the rest just behind the Platinum oceanview building. It only costs $10 per day (at least when we were there) but gives you access to beachside towel service, reserved beach recliners and reserved tiki-style beach umbrellas. When we were there, there were never more than 3 couples in this area with tons of empty chairs -- lots of peace and quiet. There is even a waiter with unlimited beverages brought right to your beach chair. This is such a deal compared to the part of the beach open to the public which can get very busy, very noisy, and crowded with no privacy.

Room Tip: Spa was very, very nice too
5  Thank Kevin A
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I agree with everyone who gave high reviews to this hotel as it is a great 5 star resort. We stayed in Platinum suite, and paying a bit extra all worth it. You get welcome glass of Champaign at the priority reception, the premium drinks, not the cheap stuff and is not suitable to drink; your own lobby, with towel service, bar, internet comps, limo ;), priority booking to all restaurants and shuttle bus to Playa, waiter service at the private area on the beach. Jacuzzi on the balcony and in the room. What more can you ask for? Beds were tied up twice a day; the entire hotel is in marble.
Before i went i found some negative comment about the beach – its all bs. Beach is great. There are a few vendor booths, but they are not in your face. Its all organized that there is a walking area and beach chairs area, that looks neat and feels great that you don’t have to fish around people to get by. Water is crystal clear few meters off the shore, and super warm.
Food is great. If you eat healthy – tons of choices: fresh salads, fruits, vegetables, freshly squeezed juice from carrots, beets, salary, grapefruits, etc. Soups and chicken was amazing.
Regarding excursions – great parks to visit is Xplore (for the extreme lovers) and Xel-ha (for snorkeling lovers). And also Coco-Bongo in Playa – but make sure wherever you are – its in the middle – the best view.
Enjoy – you would love it there!

Room Tip: top floor oceanview definitely
7  Thank I123123
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What to say!!! WOW. Every year we have a family vacation with our 2 kids (20 and 25 years old) . We had high expectations for this hotel and beleive me they were met. We upgrated in Platinium suites and was really worth it since you get much more privileges , and our suites were also communicating. The hotel is big, super clean, and beautiful. All the employees were very friendly. The food was very good also.The house wine ''discusting'' I suggest buying wine a la carte. My kids had the best massage of their lives on the beach. You need to be ready to walk cause you can't really rely on the suttle. The weather was not on our side, but we had enough sun to burn. Our dissipointing moment? SUNWING, never again..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family