“Princess hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Princess hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I agree with everyone who gave high reviews to this hotel as it is a great 5 star resort. We stayed in Platinum suite, and paying a bit extra all worth it. You get welcome glass of Champaign at the priority reception, the premium drinks, not the cheap stuff and is not suitable to drink; your own lobby, with towel service, bar, internet comps, limo ;), priority booking to all restaurants and shuttle bus to Playa, waiter service at the private area on the beach. Jacuzzi on the balcony and in the room. What more can you ask for? Beds were tied up twice a day; the entire hotel is in marble.
Before i went i found some negative comment about the beach – its all bs. Beach is great. There are a few vendor booths, but they are not in your face. Its all organized that there is a walking area and beach chairs area, that looks neat and feels great that you don’t have to fish around people to get by. Water is crystal clear few meters off the shore, and super warm.
Food is great. If you eat healthy – tons of choices: fresh salads, fruits, vegetables, freshly squeezed juice from carrots, beets, salary, grapefruits, etc. Soups and chicken was amazing.
Regarding excursions – great parks to visit is Xplore (for the extreme lovers) and Xel-ha (for snorkeling lovers). And also Coco-Bongo in Playa – but make sure wherever you are – its in the middle – the best view.
Enjoy – you would love it there!

Room Tip: top floor oceanview definitely
7 Thank I123123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,287)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Prevost
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

What to say!!! WOW. Every year we have a family vacation with our 2 kids (20 and 25 years old) . We had high expectations for this hotel and beleive me they were met. We upgrated in Platinium suites and was really worth it since you get much more privileges , and our suites were also communicating. The hotel is big, super clean, and beautiful. All the employees were very friendly. The food was very good also.The house wine ''discusting'' I suggest buying wine a la carte. My kids had the best massage of their lives on the beach. You need to be ready to walk cause you can't really rely on the suttle. The weather was not on our side, but we had enough sun to burn. Our dissipointing moment? SUNWING, never again..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Christine G
Waterville, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were at the Grand Sunset Princess on the 25 et 26 of september 2012. It was our 2nd time. Everything was excellent. We were at the Yokatan suite and swing up, What a dream room. The service was excellent even on the beach, we had a reserved place on the beach with a waiter, we felt like royalty. We had been to several japanese restaurant, but the one at the princess beats all of them. The show, the services and the cook were excellent. The food cannot be compare, we had rice, fish, steak and chicken. A big thank you to our friend Adrien who works at the Grand Sunset Princess.

6 Thank Pierrette R
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We went to GRAND SUNSET PRINCESS ALL SUITES between the 21 & 28 September 2012
Here is the good and the bad of our trip

The Airline: Sunwing
BAD
-We went to the airport and upon arrival at the check in were told that our carry on luggage was too heavy.
We were told to move aside and arrange the luggage then to pass again at the baggage drop off.
My wife’s carry on was at 6.54 kg. The accepted weight was 5 kg. I stripped her carry on of everything except her medication, a bathing suit, 2 pairs of underwear and a hair dryer and weighed it on a scale at a deserted check in and it came in at 4.9 kg.
Went back to the luggage drop off and the scale said 6.5 kg even after I had emptied it. I said to the agent that this was impossible and opened the case on the scale to show the contents. She said she could do nothing and told me to seek out a supervisor. I refused to move until a supervisor arrived on the scene and pointed out that the medication was not to be weighed. We took out the meds but still overweight. I took out the hair dryer and put it in my carry on and the bag passed. Needless to say once the bag was removed I put the medication back in!!!!...stupid!!!
My carry on was a back pack. I had a camera, towel, bathing suit, the hair dryer and documents….too heavy…. The supervisor told me to remove the camera and voila it passed……I returned the camera to my back pack for the flight….stupid, again!
When our regular baggage was weighed, it too appeared overweight which was ABSOLUTELY impossible. I weighed them on a scale before leaving the house and they were each at least 2 kg under weight. Makes me wonder if the Sunwing is trying to charge for overweight on purpose…I think that is called fraud.
-After baggage drop off we waited at the gate for the flight that was supposed to be at 16:35. The gate was changed at about 15:45.
-We finally boarded at 17:45 and took off at about 18:35…2 hours late.
-the front lavatory on the plane was out of service.
-there were a lot of turbulent during the flight so no one could use the lavatories at the back of the plane. Once the turbulent ended everyone…and I mean everyone, lined up to use the facilities. At one point I counted 20+ people in line. This was not pleasant for anyone!
-Because the plane took off late, when we got to the hotel there was no Sunwing rep available and no welcoming drink, no nothing
-When I booked, I sent an email to the resort indicating that it was my birthday and our 26th wedding anniversary but received no acknowledgement of either. When we went to Cuba and in Principe Tulum, in Mexico, the staff went out of their way to acknowledge these two events.
-Our return fight was at 10:35. The Sunwing rep said the bus would arrive at 06:05 at the Sunset side of the resort and then go to the Riviera side. I called a porter at 05:05 to have our baggage delivered to the Sunset side and went to join my baggage at 05:30. No one was there so I asked at the reception if the bus in fact going there but she had no idea. At 05:45, because no other passengers had showed up, I grabbed our luggage and made our way to the Riviera side where everyone was waiting for the bus. Basically the info the Sunwing rep gave me was crap!!

THE STRANGE
-Sunwing arranged a special dinner for Sunwing guests only on the Wednesday with a live reggae band. We went to this activity but I do not think too many Sunwing guests were aware of this dinner because only about 20 people showed up. The only reason we ended up there is because when I went to complain about the bottled water situation in our room, I saw it advertized. During our orienteering session the rep said nothing about this little party.
-the orienteering session was at 09:30 the day following our arrival.
First of all, after getting to bed at 02:30 because of the late flight and the toilet problem, I really did not appreciate getting up early. Sunwing should have realized this.
Second, the meeting was supposed to be in the Riviera Lobby but at the last minute, someone told a couple of us it had been moved to a meeting room downstairs. There was no indication anywhere with regard to this change of venue. I am sure most of the Sunwing vacationers mis

THE GOOD
I had a problem with getting water in our fridge in the room. I told the Sunwing rep and the problem was solved the next day.

THE RESORT
THE BAD
-After checking in, I was directed to the only 24 hour bar in the place: the sports Bar. It is down stairs from the main lobby. Going down the stairs, I slipped on water on the stairs and promptly fell down the second fight of marble stairs. There were no warnings that the stairs were wet and I hurt my wrist and my butt.
-we were told that a shuttle would take us to our room and it passed every 15 mins or so. We went to the designated spot and waited for 25 mins….no shuttle. We had to walk 15 mins to our room in the dark.
-there are BIG bugs at this resort. I saw more than a couple. I killed one the size of a small cell phone!
-on our arrival at the room, the toilet blocked and over flowed.
-on the third day, my wife took a shower to wash her hair, and the shower flooded the bathroom and part of the passage way in the room.
-the fridge was never strong enough to cool down the liquids inside it. In order to get cold water, I had to fill up the ice bucket twice a day to cool down the provided bottled water.
-the air conditioning got progressively noisier the whole time we were there and seemed to go off during the night because the room got hot in the middle of the night…every night.
-One of the sinks in our room was cracked and what I would consider dangerous.
- There were tiles that had been repaired (badly) in the bathroom and measurement markings on the tiles in pencil that appeared to have been there since the original inception. Makes me question how often the walls were actually cleaned considering this resort is more than a couple of years old.
-the cleaning staff’s work was spotty. In order to get good service we had to leave a buck or 2 every day and even then, we were missing face cloths one day, toilet paper another, water was not delivered. Even after tipping, the performance was not 5 star.
-the Mama Mia restaurant was a big letdown. It was the first time in an all inclusive that I was handed a PAY FOR wine list. I bought a bottle for 290 pesos and asked for a receipt as proof of payment (because they ask your room number when you order the wine)and the Maitre D seemed insulted. I had to insist to have a proof of payment.
I ordered raviolis and my wife had a sea food pizza.
I got 3, count them, 3, 2 dollar sized raviolis. This would not even satisfy a 5 year old
My wife got her pizza. It was a good size but had no taste. It had no garlic, no basil, no nothing. She dipped her pizza in the remaining sauce from my 3 raviolis to give it some taste.
She was sick with traveler’s diarrhea for the next 2 ½ days!!!!
-There was practically NO Mexican music on the site. The only music there was, was a sort of techno elevator music that really got on my nerves.
-the bars all had menus for PAY FOR drinks. Something I have never seen in any of the 4-5 star resorts I have been to. This begs the question; What is all included in the all inclusive?
-went down to the beach on day 2 for a swim. Whilst I was in the water, my wife signaled me to come out because where we had put our stuff cost $11.00 USD per day to sunbath there…..again…all inclusive?!?!?
-On day 4, when we went to the beach the water had a real funky smell…we decided that it would be better to swim in the pool that day.
-We finally got to ride in the shuttle, but the pickup times were often guidelines that maybe he would show up.
-On the beach, Mexicans were pestering people for a massage and so on. It got to be very tiring.

THE GOOD
-This place is beautiful!...really big, but beautiful.
-good proximity to Playa del Carmen
-the beach is nice and long and wide but there is seaweed…it’s normal…there are also rocks, so beach shoes are recommended..this is normal for Mexico.
-when there was a problem and it was reported, there was someone on sight, quickly, to try and remedy the problem. When I reported the blocked toilet on the 1st night at 02:00, a guy came by in 10 mins and fixed it in 5 mins…I was impressed and gave him a tip for his fast service.
-the maintenance staff are visible everywhere and seem to work very hard.
-the buffet food is OK…the Italian a la carte was a disaster, but we went to another a la carte and I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and quality of the food.
-went on the snorkeling and Para sailing excursions and they were super fun!!!! The staff was friendly and there were no hiccups…they were both great!!!

This was a disappointing vacation because of the non-chalant service of Sunwing…both the representatives and the Airline. I will never book with them again if at all possible. All the little problems and hiccups wiped me and my wife out. We actually got home more tired than when we had left. Basically I paid $2000.00 + to sleep badly, eat badly, be treated badly, to be sick and to be annoyed….not good!!
This was the first time I booked a vacation with an Agency; TARGET VACATIONS LIMITED-TORONTO, I will try to avoid doing this in the future. My previous vacations were always booked through iTravel2000.com and I do not remember ever having a problem
We went to Bahia Principe Tulum 3 years ago and it was light years better in service accommodations and food choices.
This was the first time a see charges for alcohol at a 4 or 5 star all Inclusive resort, (and we have done a couple) I will be sure to read the fine print the next time!
The weather was a disappointment. It was cloudy and raining 4 out of the 6 days we were there. But when you travel at the end of September, it happens.
We will probably never return to this resort or the Mayan Riviera because of this experience.
We will take our chances with the food in Cuba, because the resorts are smaller and better run, and because the people are genuinely friendly unlike the Mexicans that have a contrived friendliness.

Room Tip: if you want to be close to the beach get a room in the 7 or 6 building on the Riviera side
8 Thank 19nosliw62
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Recently visited the Princess and was very dissappointed in the service we received.Checked in and had a room with one bed after requesting two. The odor was enough to knock you off your feet. I have severe allergies and ask to be moved. We were told not possible they were over booked. After 3 hours of visiting and contacting the front desk we were finally moved. It is a very large spread out resort and requires a lot of walking. They run a shuttle which is an oversized golf cart but only one for all of the guest. Most of the time you walk because shuttle is full when it reaches your stop. Can't say enough about the pools and pool bars.If you want to drink by the pool go to a pool with a bar. Was there a week and only saw a pool waiter 2 times. The food at the buffets was awesome but not real impressed with the restruants. Wouldn't waste my time booking them again. Buffets offer a wide varitey of foods and always different. Grounds are beautiful and are very well maintained. The beach is the typical Mexico beach. Tons of seaweed washed up on the beach. Recently visited the Paradisus in the same area and couldn't say enough about the service there. Princess management needs to visit the Paradisus nad take notes. Spoke to several people that visited the Princess before and was very disappointed in the service they also received this time. I was told the staff has been cut for the season but if they want you to return they really need to keep more staff. So if you plan to visit take comfy shoes and be in shape to walk!

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor. 1st floor rooms have a bad musty smell.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Rhonda2278
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We wanted a relaxing vacation on the beach, and got just what we wanted.

The resort seems to be pretty new, and the staff is extremely friendly.

We arrived at 3:00 and had to wait 1/2 hour for our room to be ready, but the front desk gave us our wristbands and told us that we can use the bar or buffets.

The buffets are open for breakfast from 7:00am to 10:00am, and have a great variety of everything. Their baked goods are amazing. The lunch buffets are from 3:00pm to 6:00pm and offer great variety. They have their food broken up by day (i.e. Monday Italian, Tuesday Asian, Wednesday American, ...). Dinner reservations have to be made for their restaurants, and they have to be made well in advance at the hotel reservations desk in order to get the right time.

We only went to the Japanese hibachi bar as our dinner, and were not too excited about it. Points for having a great show, but the rice needs some work. However, the staff was great,
and it was a fun dinner experience.

Their beach is probably one of the best in Playa Del Carmen. You can get the kayaks and catamarans for free, as well as snorkeling gear.

There is a shuttle to the city once a day, but you have to sign up for it at the concierge desk a day in advance.

Do not leave the resort without trying the Paella they make on the beach.

Overall great experience, would highly recommend.

2 Thank Msim56003
Beckley, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I spent a week Sep15 through Sep 22 at the Grand Sunset Princess in Deluxe Junior Suite on the second floor, facing the pool side. We had a great relaxing time there. The facility is goodlooking, sanitary. Good housekeeping and the friendly courteous staff made the stay more relaxing and enjoyable. Drinks flowed freely. Buffet B'F, lunch and dinner while not the greatest, satisfied our vegetarian palates.The food variety and decor was comprehensive, andthe taste score was average.. In a tropical spot where exotic fruit choices would be abundant, the fare did not surpass that served in any US supermarkets. We expected good authentic Mexican food and were disappointed. Speciality restaurants, Mama Mia, Meso Oriental were a touch above average; La Hasienda Mexican restaurant did not measure up; reservations to the speciality restaurants were required day ahead for next two evenings of dining; it was booked out fast, requiring us to wait 30 min to 45 min. at the reservation desk. If you did not make it, the alternative was the buffet dinner. Flavoured fruit drinks laced with hard drinks, were served freely with supply seemingly unexhaustible. Corona was the only draught beer served. Canned Modelo Negro, bottled water and soft drinks in the refrigerator were daily replenished. Fresh juices were NOT SERVED.
International call service were expensive; Call from room cost $5 a min. We got charged $4US for making a failed call from the room to US. Calling card for $20 for 20 mins made more sense. Internet wi fi could be purchased for $20 per day. International phone with a Sim Card, a good option. For Adults Only, and Pavilion section upgrade ( located closer to and onlooking the beach ) was the internet free.
Beach front at the resort was excellent; soft white sand, long shallow sand beach shelf, largely clear, emerald green balmy waters, and mild to moderate grade, noncrashing ocean waves made for a smashing beachside experience. Thatched canopies for shade and beach loungers were at hand. Thatched roof drinks servery and adjacent makeshift snack servery dished out burgers, hotdogs, chips and salsa, all inclusive. Whole body massages for a fee were served on the beach on cosy canopied lounges. The loopy outdoor pools incorporating sectional Jaccuzis were equally inviting. We, however, will try a different facility on our next visit, and have no reservation about coming to this facility.

1 Thank MANU P
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,356 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!