“"Thanks a Million to Alex Chavez at the Grand Sunset Princess"”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #73 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“"Thanks a Million to Alex Chavez at the Grand Sunset Princess"”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed at this resort back during spring break. Me, Girlfriend and her 9 yr old son. First of all, this resort is amazing. The entire resort is a maze of pools that interconnect. Although we stayed in a regular room, it was very spacious with an oversized balcony, couch and sitting area, which overlooked the pool. The upgraded suites are all swim in swim out to your own private poolside room. We will definitely do that next time.

The main reason for my review was to talk about an employee of the sunset princess. His name is Alex Chavez, he is the sports and entertainment manager at the resort. We ran in to him one night while seeking some information about some Mexican Skull candy that my girlfriends boy was trying to find. Although the resort didn't carry this type of candy, he didn't want to leave Mexico without it. While nobody else at the resort had ever heard of this type of candy, Alex offered to drop by several stores in town to see if he could locate it. As promised, he called us in our room a couple of days later to tell us that while he looked for the candy in many stores in town, he unfortunately was unable to find it. That was a very nice gesture and impeccable service even though that was not part of his job at the resort.

Additionally, we bought a painting for Michael at the resort that was painted by an artist that only came to the resort for one evening. Michael really loved it. The artist packed it up for us as we were catching an early flight back to the U.S the next morning. When we arrived back in the States and unpacked the painting, it was ruined because the paint had not had time to dry before it was packed up. Typically, in situations like that, you are SOL, but we decided to send the painting back to our old friend Alex Chavez Mah Eng to see if their was something that could be done. Apparently, Alex went and tracked down the artist somewhere in town or took the painting to someone who fixed it and made it perfect again. So several weeks after sending down to Mexico, it made its way back to a very happy little boy.

Thank you Alex if you ever see this. We are very grateful and it is people like you that will keep us going back to any of the princess resorts in the future. I would recommend this resort to any of you who may read this.

Room Tip: Definitely get the swim in swim out room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Paul M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,426)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Worcester, MA
Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this fabulous resort with husband, daughter and 3 grand kids age 20 mos , 11, & 12. This was our third stay at the princess (2008 & 2009) I must say that I was a little concerned that the property may have become "run down" after reading comments on this site, but my concerns were quickly dissolved after our arrival. As a frequent traveler to mexico (Cancun, playa, Acapulco, peurto Viarta, manzanilla, Cozumel), this hotel our favorite. We upgraded to platinum for the first time and highly recommend especially during the high season.
Rooms - clean, spacious 5 *
Food - buffets for breakfast & lunch. Platinum allows for ala carte. Lots of variety. I would like to know where the complainers eat. 5*
A La Carts- The French & the grill are our fab 5*. Miso oriental - 4*, Mexican - Mediocre. Mama Mia was also very good - 4.5*
Note you didn't pay for the Ritz 5*, but the food and atmosphere come as good as it gets for all inclusive
Beverages - if you upgrade to platinum be sure to ask for top shelf liquor. Ask for a double if you want it stronger. I drink margarita- Centinario Tequila & grand Marnier, the beer is Corona. Excellente!!!!
Beach is rocky - beach shoes required. Plenty of chairs/hits as long is you get there before 9 am- same for pools.
Grounds- luxurious and lots of walking which is much needed after overindulgiimg
Overalll the entire experience provided is exceptional & will bring us back again in a few years. In the mean time, there are many more places to experience.

• Stayed April 2012
8 Thank davesueh
toronto
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I simply have nothing but praise for this resort ( so for all the haters and extra negative people, this review is not for you). I choose this resort because my husband and I needed a break from our everyday routine and we found this resort fit what we were looking for. I had watched videos for this resort on bookit.com and had read reviews on trip advisor. The crowd this resort attracts is mainly mature ( 30 plus) so we knew there would be less loud party lovers there and we preferred that. To start off with, I found a great package on sunwingvacations.com and after reading reviews on trip advisor I went for it. Our sunwing rep Chris from sunwing @ the resort was amazing and should be a stand up comedian, the entire room was on the floor laughing.
When we landed in mexico, cancun, our sunwing rep was standing right outside with a sign and guided us towards the coach. Everything was dealt with in an organized manner ( guest checklists and luggage was handled) and within minutes we were on our way. This resort is almost an hour away from the airport. As soon as we got to the airport our luggage ( 2 small carry ons) were handed to us and we checked in. Check in was a BREEZE ( better than any check in I've had in Canada). I also emailed the hotel I would say barely 2 days in advance asking them if our junior deluxe suite could have a king bed instead of 2 doubles and be on the 3rd floor, and voila! they granted me that instantly upon check in ( 2nd floor though...which was perfectly fine) the staff was warm and had a great sense of humor. We took the passenger shuttle that runs every 10 minutes at the resort from one end to the other( since the resort is huge...and yes lots of walking if you miss it or cant wait for it) to our room and we were very VERY pleased with the room. It was simply gorgeous ( i will be uploading pics). I was ready to jump into the juccuzi and was filling it up when my hubby dearest decided to press an unmarked button( thus not his fault entirely) which turned the air pressure on - little did he know that it should be turned on AFTER the tub was full...so yes there was water flying all over the place, I called the frontdesk and they sent a guy over immediately who did a check to see if everything was running fine..and soon after housekeeping came to clean up the water mess... ( as devastated as we were when it was happening, we got a great laugh after) AMAZING STAFF!!

the buffets were good overall ( some days were better than others depending on your preference and the theme they had ongoing) breakfast buffet at la fondue was great ( just loved the omelets they would make with your choice of ingredients at the cooking stations ) I liked it because la fondue has a 360 view pretty much of the outside grounds and the pool, so i enjoyed having breakfast here more over the other two ( sunset and riviera) buffets. La haciende was entertaining but we did not enjoy the food ( red snapper fish had pasta sauce over it with green olives, it tasted like pizza toppings ). I highly recommend making reservations for mamma mia instead, GREAT food and ambiance. Loved my spinach and cheese stuffed ravioli in tomato sauce. My husband ordered a custom pizza and loved it. For snacks go to 5th Ave. sports bar, best nachos, fries and drinks
The nightly shows were nice and a lot of effort was put into them. Amazing theater, with lots of seats.( TIP: you might be able to hook up to the platinum internet connection for FREE here or just outside the theater LOL...enjoyed that perk when our internet card (20$) finsihed.
The pools were very clean and the beach was very nice. Yes there is seaweed washed up along some parts of the beach but that has to do with nature not the resort, they all work hard to keep it clean. Wearing water clogs helped with the rocky situation in the water..The 'seapro divers' located on the beach have cheaper rates for activities compared to the sellers in the hotel. I just wish that the free shuttle that the resort runs to take people into playa del carmen, would run more frequently without reservations a day in advance. Taxi was ridiculously expensive (20$ each way) to go even short distances. Because of that we stayed in the resort and made the most of it. Would go back again !!
Just have to add here that we should treat people how we would want to be treated ourselves. I saw people yelling at staff or being rude cause they felt they waited a while longer than the next guy for their burger. grow up!! such people should not write reviews as they need to change themselves first.

Room Tip: A room in the middle of the resort ( equal distance between the main lobby and beach) is better so i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank mina t
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2012

if you like raw sewage in the ocean an rocks an very little beach then this is the place for you but if you dont go somewere else. I will say they kept the resort clean but my wife and two friends had a better time in Cancun at the Riu much better resort an beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here from 4/12-4/18/12 with my husband.

If you go, get a swim up suite. That was the best part. It was our favorite part of the resort/our trip. The grounds are beautiful and very clean. The service was excellent from the beginning to the end, no complaints. Good mix of fun/party pools and more quiet areas. You have your choice.

There is a shuttle to playa that leaves at certain times. Otherwise it is $19 each way for a taxi. If you want a good meal one night, head to Playa.

BEACH - The beach had a bad smell to it, but once you got over that and the seaweed, it was pretty nice. No real issues finding chairs on the beach, though plenty of people are out there first thing in the morning reserving chairs. If you can swing, get a massage right on the beach! There are a few different vendors and you can negotiate down the price quite a bit.Like the other reviewers say, the resort is HUGE. Be prepared for a long walk to get to the lobby, pool, restaurants, etc. I did not mind, it helped balance out all of the food and drinks that were consumed!

FOOD - This was a disappointment. You can tell they try hard with presentation, but the quality is just not there. The buffet gets old but is fine for breakfast/lunch. You need to book 3 nights in advance for a la cart, and the times fill quickly. We either got reservations for 6 or after 9. If you want to eat at the a la cart, make your reservations right when you check in. What I don't understand about this, is every night we did eat at an a la cart, half the place was empty.

Room Tip: Get a swim up suite if you aren't traveling with children, it's a must! Get your reservation...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KEM413
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was my fifth stay at GSP. We always book Platinum, which is an upgrade, but worth it to us. The private lounge, bar and consierge who booked all of our ala carte dinners the first night we were there is so nice to have available. The grounds and buildings are immaculate and always being worked on. The staff is friendly and responsive. I have stayed at several different places in the area, and I still like this one the best!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelinGal920
Cornwall
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We travelled with a group of 28 people; we were there for a wedding and enjoyed our week-long vacation. We had AMAZING weather - it didn't rain once, not even at night (we were there from April 4 through to April 11).

We stayed in the Platinum Rooms; the difference in cost was few hundred dollars, we didn't find it was worth it, although to most people, it is worth it. We didn't use the Spa that was included with our package (we went to see it the day we left, I would recommend taking advantage of it if you have the time) and we didn't drink any of the premium liquors, nor did we use the room service. We sat in the Platinum area on the beach (BTW, the map is misleading-it shows the Platinum beach area is directly in front of the Sunset Platinum rooms when in fact is about a 10 minute walk on the beach to get to the Platinum area-close to the Riviera side of the resort) The Platinum beach is supposed to have butler service, out of the 7 days we were on the beach, we saw them twice. We loved the private pool, but we travelled with friends who did not upgrade to Platinum and were not allowed to be in to even say hi or tell you where we could meet them later. The concierge service was EXCELLENT, no complaints about that!

Buffets:
4 to choose from (that we discovered), 2 of them open for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper. The buffet right next to the Platinum rooms is only open for Breakfast and Lunch; Platinum upgrades can order off of the menu- not a big selection, but the food was very good. Food on the buffets was mediocre, it wasn't bad but not the best we have had at other resorts we have stayed at.

A la Cartes:
With Platinum, we had unlimited a la cartes, we ate at the Steakhouse, Fondue, Tapanyaki (Japenese Habatchi Grill), Italian and Mexican. The steakhouse and tapanyaki were by far the best! The food and service were excellent. A little dissapointed that the steakhouse was out of T-Bone steak, but the replacement was delicious! Not many people who joined us for the other a la cartes enjoyed their food at the other restaurants. Some in our group ate at the Oriental restaurant and were sick the rest of the evening. All of the a la cartes are upstairs between the main lobbies (except for the Fondue and Seafood-they are located at the breakfast and lunch buffet next to the platinum rooms-on the princess side of th resort).

Beach:
Water was BEAUTIFUL; many shades of blues. Nice white sand along the ocean, once you get in, you constantly stub your feet on the coral/rocks in the ocean. If you float when you are in the water, you will enjoy it, just don't walk in it without water socks. Along the beach, "Coco" the monkey is availble every day to take pictures with... If you do this, ask the photographer to have her kiss you-too cute!

Parasailing:
My friend and I went Parasailing, I love thrill rides, this was not a thrill ride; the jet ski ride was mote exciting than the parasailing was, although, I am glad I did it, the view was spectacular. the cost was $60 US each.

Excursions:
My fiance and I love to snorkel when we travel. We decided to book the "Albatross" excursion. The cost was $99 US each, we were picked up about 30 minutes late (at our hotel), sailed on a Catamaran to the National Park to go snorkeling, then lunch on a beach (where we got to hold a nurse shark for $2 US each) and then went shopping at the market on Isla Mujeres (where we were not told where the market could be found, had to find it on our own). The excursion ended by letting a few people try "catamaran rope swing", I tried it, the wind wasn't high enough to lift me out of the water. We snorkled for less than 30 minutes and were seperated by the "dive master". We were EXTREEMLY dissapointed with the snorkeling 1) because we were seperated, 2) I saw NOTHING unusual (the other group saw a shark, barracuda and a ray) and 3) the snorkeling was WAY TOO SHORT. If you are planning to snorkel, you will have to book an excursion as there is nothing at the hotel, but definately book the 3hr excursion to the National Park or Xel-Ha. Once we got bck to the Cancun Marina, we had to wait over 45 minutes for 2 pssengerss to arrive, very upsetting after we were told the driver would be back in 5 minutes, when we went looking for him, he was nowhere to be found!

Wildlife:
While we on the resort, we saw MANY coaties on the beach, we even saw an American Crocodile in the swamp next to the Chill Out lounge (you can rent very comfy chairs for $11 US per person and you get served unlimited drinks as well). Other wildlife we saw were iguanas, a snake, a racoon and many different types of birds.

To sum it up, if you are with a large group of people, you will have a tough time meeting everyone; it is next to imposible to find everyone because the resort is so HUGE! If you don't mind all the walking to get EVERYWHERE (they have a shuttle if you don't want to walk to and from the Platinum rooms and main lobby) then this is the place for you; you will not be dissapointed! Service was excellent, resort is VERY clean and everyone was very friendly!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4102(second floor) in the Platinum area; stay on the 3rd floor (4230) would have a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank WayneTracy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!