“Had a great trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Barrie, Canada
“Had a great trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was our second time to the GSP, Oct 13-20. Booked swim up suites, but on arrival to the resort we got upgraded to platinum swimup. The platinum room was pretty much the same as a regular swimup. The platinum swimups do not have direct access to the resorts main pools so for us that was a bit of a bummer, but if you prefer a more quiet enviroment to relax in then this will work for you.

The platinum lounge was useful for checkin emails and what not, I'm not much of a liqour drinker so the tops shelf booze wasn't really important to me. My wife and our friend used the platinum section on the beach and they said they enjoyed it, I'm not much of a beach person so the pool were where I spent the most of my time.

The buffets were ok, I found the food better last year. But I was able to find something I enjoyed everytime we went.

The "new" sports bar looks nicer, but if you plan to watch any game I would recomend heading into Playa. The constant racket from the air hockey table was unbearable, again this might have been due to the amount of rain we had while we were there. I don't remember the sports bar being that busy last year, although I didn't spend as much time there last year as I did this year. Beware if you are playing pool, I heard a horror story about someone having to fork over 100 bucks for a broken ball while we were there.

Overall we had a great trip, met some really cool people (in my opinion it's not where you go on vacation and more about the people you meet who make or break a vacation). Got a drink on one of our last nights in the square, and Luis who used to work at the party pool bar last year remembered me. I got a kick out of that, I wonder how many people he meets in a year? Our safe stopped working a couple times and security promptly showed up to fix it, we even left it open one day and everything was where we left it. I had a quarter that I put on the night stand on our first night, and it was still there on our last day.

I would return to GSP again, but I think next year we will try somewhere different, maybe Sandos Caracol eco-resort & spa?

Ignore the bad reviews, leave the attitude at hame and go with the flow you are on vacation!

4 Thank Auslander13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Did I find bugs..yes..killed 5. Beach was OK... been to finer sand/ whiter sand beaches; but it's alright.
Sunset and Riviera are exact replica.
Room was big. Had king size bed. Liked the big shower room.
Food is good. Different restaurant every night.
Staff..friendly and provide fast service (except in the grill restaurant).
Exchange rate in the hotel was better than anywhere else (13.5 to 1 US).
Land excursion ... zipline at Xplore was really great. The caves are fake. The morized cart was slow. Coba... the last Myan temple in the area that you still can climb to the top (it's going to disallowed the climb at the end of this year)
Overall...very good vacation.
BTW...the hotel handled the hurricane threat pretty good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I guess it's a good deal for the money. The resort is very clean, the beach is beautiful, and the service is good, but the food is average and the drinks are terrible. I'm more a wine drinker and the wine is not good, even the beer on tap wasn't so great. This is just a massive money making resort, but if you're on a very limited budget, I think it's a great deal and the rooms are nice, but don't expect a view. The place is just too big, but the beach is awesome and so it the water. If you have money to spend, stay next door at Grand Velas, now that's a resort you won't forget!

Room Tip: f you go there stay in the premium suites, they're closer to the beach. They also have free wif...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank soosyrado
Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

What a trip! This resort is massive! I have been to a few all inclusives before but this is the biggest and it stood up well to the smaller resorts. The bad reviews this place have received must be from people that expect to be pampered at every corner. We met a couple people that were not happy with the resort and we made an effort to stay away from the negative attitudes. After all we are in Mexico on vacation, not at home in the real world! Let's enjoy it!

Rooms and grounds: We stayed in the lowest category room the junior suite and it was great. Large rooms with a couch and chair. Large bathroom with a walk-in shower and two sinks. Safe in the closet and mini bar fridge. We asked for extra water to be filled in the fridge and it was there no problem. Our room was about half way to the beach from the lobby. About a 4 min walk down a well manicured walkway through the middle of the resort. Yes the grounds are large but it really isn't that far. You just need to plan a little when you leave your room if you want to minimize the walking. And there are bars along the way to fill up and stay hydrated anyways. All of the employees are friendly and work tirelessly to keep the area clean.

Food: The buffets have a good selection and you can always find something to eat. one concern is that the food can get cool quickly even though they are under the heat lamps. Just get there early and everything is good or get the fresh omelet in the morning and the fresh pasta at lunch. For dinner the buffet is themed and it changes every night. you just have to check the flag hanging between the main buffets by the lounge bar. We tried a few of the a la cartes and they were great for the most part. the teppanyaki show at Miso was a fun meal. Good T-bone at the steakhouse and the fondue was delicious. Go with the crepe filled with ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert!! The Mexican restaurant was the only one that was so-so. We didn't try the Italian place but heard from other that it was great.

Beach: We were a little worried about the beach from other reviews about vendors between you and the beach. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. There are a couple of spots where the vendors block your straight ahead view but there is plenty of space to find unobstructed views. Also if you go left past the Platinum roped off area there is your own private area that goes on and on. The rock issue was a bit of a problem. there seems to be an area right by the lifeguard stand that has been cleared of most of the rocks but left or right there are definitely sharp rocks to watch out for. we saw many people reduced to swearing and falling over trying to go out in these areas, myself included. water shoes should make things much better but I am not a fan of those so i just swam a little and went to the pools when it was time to cool off. There is a bar and grill with Hotdogs, hamburgers and nachos on the beach so you don't need to go too far if you don't want to.

Pools: Tons of pools with any vibe you want. There is one that we called the "Spring break pool" I'm sure you will figure this one out when you get there. There is another pool with a swim up bar closer to the beach and many others scattered around that are quite quiet and relaxing.

Service: Very friendly staff and tipping or not didn't make any difference although I'm sure they appreciated it. I can't say too much for the Platinum section cause we didn't stay there but friends we were with were in that section and they definitely had a nicer room with oceanview and access to more amenities like a private pool(tiny) and top shelf liquor if you are picky.

Overall: Awesome vacation, not sure if it is a true 5 star because it felt a lot like the 4 or 4.5 stars we have stayed at before in Mexico and Cuba. Maybe when you are in the Platinum or Villa section that's were the 5 star extras are?? But a great choice for a vacation!! Gotta love Mexico!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jamie M
Belleville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at the hotel Oct 17 - 24th. Once arriving we did not have to wait long to get access to our Platinum room which would have been by the beach. However, they put us in the back corner on the Riviera side and it was not as advertised, there was no Jacuzzi on the balcony. My boyfriend went to reception and they said they had "overbooked". The compensation was 1 massage. This was not acceptable so I also spoke to reception and asked for a "Spa pkg" which they would not offer. They said they would move us in 2 days which we did not find acceptable. They finally were able to get permission and upgraded us to a Villa which is more centrally located. The room was extremely nice and had multiple extra perks but we would have been happy with the Platinum Suite by the beach as booked as these rooms were very nice too.
The food at the buffets was quite good with a wide selection.
Ala Cartes:
Mexican - we did not care for.
La Fleur - excellent
Miso - only booked the show tables, this gives a great show and meal
Las Olas - Stay away! We got sick and this made us have to cancel both the Italian and Grill restaurants plus missing out on an excursion we rebooked once and then had to cancel. This cost us $200!
Grounds were exceptionally kept, resort has beautfiul marble flooring. It is NOT a good resort if you are not prepared to walk a great length to get anyway. Utilize the shuttle whenever possible.
Chill out at the beach - great area, very private, good service but does cost $10 per person for the day. The Platiunum beach area is crowded and noisy. The other beach area is rediculously crowded and a place to avoid for some folks.
Tipping - does not always get better service but tip those who treat you extra special. The pool conceriege at the Villa Pool was tipped well but did not come through with 2 requests we made. Boyfriend is diabetic and needed frig stocked with Diet drinks, we should have just tipped the person restocking. The safe had a "low battery" message so we asked for new batteries, worried that it would be locked when we needed to open it. He did nothing.

Room Tip: Lower Villa Suites have a larger shower area.
1 Thank Frosty166
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

It was our first time to this resort but have been in Mexico over 30 times so we have alot of places have to compare it to.
The property was beautiful--had lotsa pools,a brand NEW Sports bar that just opened while we were there (Oct 2-16th).......the only complaint we had was that there was no FREE Wi-FI except for Platinum rooms.....we had a regular Junior suite which was very nice,no need to upgrade for us.....
Can't imagine why they wouldnt at least have WI-FI in the lobby---most resorts have it for people who bring their laptops
we read alot of negative reviews and were very happy we didn't listen to them
Our favorite waiter at the beach buffet was Raul who was very nice and remembered our hot chocolate every day and on the animation team we LOVED Dany who is just gorgeous :)
We got this resort for a very good price and it was well worth it
didnt spend much time at the beach since we are pool people but it was very nice too

took a nice side tour to Isla Mujeres also had 2 massages at Veronica's Gold which were amazing( in PDC)

Would go back for sure !

Room Tip: had the regular Junior Suite and it was perfect
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank luvmx215
alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I must say that the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful! The grounds were extremely well kept however the tiles and walk ways are very slippery when wet, several people fell and 2 were in casts. Food was good. Most staff are very kind and friendly. Beach is nice but does have some rocky areas in the water (hard on the toes). Everything was great until an incident in the Sports Bar. They have pool tables which are constantly in use. They are played with 24 hours a day non stop. On several occasions while we were eating the balls were shot off the table. Not intentionally, just accidently by children as well as some adults. I think the tables are not of the highest quality which maybe the reason. On one occasion my son (26) set up the table and went to play. He started the game and broke the balls and one ball chipped. To make a very long story short, he was charged $100 dollars for the ball! He was then harrassed ( numerous phone calls to room, 2 letters under his door and the bar manager asking others where he was). I then went to our Sunwing Rep who said he would deal with it. However, he apparently forgot so I went back the next day and together we went to talk to the manager. Now the manager just happens to be the concierge supervisor named Jose. Jose proceeded to chew out the rep and the rep said there was nothing he could do. My son either paid the money or else. I wan't actually sure what that meant. But I imagined a mexican jail! I was quite frustrated with the situation and decided to talk to the front desk manager and relayed the story. His name was Francisco and he felt that it was not right and would talk to Jose's manager. Needless to say, nothing was done. I was told that the bill must be paid. I figured if wehad to buy a new set we were getting the old set. So demanded that we get all the balls including the broken ball. He did give us the set and I took them home!! There was no way I was leaving without them. After talking to many people about the incident; many others told us their experiences the same week. One family were charged $100 to replace a small broken pane of glass ( 5 x 7) that was behind the door (handle went through glass) as there was NO doorstop. A little girl had bloody nose in bed: charged $100 to clean sheets. Others double billed for room service: cost $60. I loved the hotel and the other staff (especially those in the buffets); very hard working individuals. But because of what happened and how we were treated I definitely would not go back. The concierge was rude and very disrespectful not only to my son, myself but the Sunwing rep. It seemed to me that this was a very lucrative way of making money. If we had known that this was possible, we would not have played pool. The balls are falling from the table on a regular basis (accidently) and bouncing across the tiled floors and are most likely many are on the verge of cracking. Just beware that if one breaks its gonna cost you!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,477 reviews
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#75 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,756 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,358 reviews

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!