“Amazing Resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing Resort”
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I visited the GRP with my daughter for 1 week.I was worried about some of the negative reviews that I had read,did not needto worry.The checkin ws quick and easy,the bellboys took our cases and they were in our room 10 minutes after we had arrived,when we got toour room there was a double bed instead of two singles,we went to reception and explained the situation,they could not move us straight away as the hotel wa full.We went back the next morning as told nd we were upgraded from a junior suite to a jnior suite deluxe which was a fantastic room. The rooms are spacius,air con,fridge was filled up daily.The safe in the room is locked by using a four digit code of your choice which is a good idea.
The room was cleaned everyday,if you leave your towels on the floor they will change them for you.The hotel is very clean and you will always see staff everywhere they are always very friendly to you.No complaints with food always something different,you will need to book a few days in advance for the resturants.Entertainment was always there.The walk to th beach from the lobby is about 10 mins but the hotel is so beutiful you dont notice how far it is.
We travelled with First Choice,the rep was always around if you needed him,we did do a couple of trips,we went to Xcaret and swam with Dolphins both highly recommend.We also went to Playa Carmen the taxi cost us 150 pesos (abt £6) they dont rip you off either,we also gave tips they do appreciate this as they do work really really hard and the mexicans are very friendly people.This hotel is truly a 5 star,I will definatly go back.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Lesley1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,936)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Surrey
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The grounds are great. Well kept and pretty. Good beach. Nice pools. The rooms are adequate and no real complaint beyond out first room being dirty, but we were given a different room on the second day and that was fine. The ground floor rooms tend to smell damp until you have had the air con and fans running a couple of days but that is largely down to the humidity here I guess.

Weather was fantastic. Platinum Pool areas are great. Thai Beach Club area was also lovely. Nothing stolen from our room and no suggestion of it from anybody there so dont fret over that. I had somethimg stolen from the beacj but I had left it unattended right next to the public beach area so I dont blame the staff. Pity the staff made it so very difficult to obtain a letter from hotel security to confirm I had reported the theft. I needed it for insurance purposes but the hotel (who told me they had to conduct a full investigation anyway) kept refusing to give me confirmation i had reported it. I got it in the end but having to make a complaint for this and every other problem ruined the holiday. But frankly if you dont complain nothing gets done.

The buffet food was surprisingly good every time we went. Just as well because aside from Le Fleur which we enjoyed and the Miso all the food in the other resaurants was inedible.

The Thai restaurant was closed, despite our Platinum deal saying we were entitled to use it. The bottles left as "gifts" in our room on arrival were half drunk already. Certainly no glass of champagne offered on arrival at the Platinum check in - in fact when I asked for it the desk guy shrugged and said "if you want i can get you one" - well yeah I did just ask didnt I so why are you making me ask again? The fussball tables were ALL broken and the pool tables had broken pockets. The pop corn machine in the sports bar only worked one night in 4.

Room got made up and only one towel was left despite there being 4 of us. We mentioned it and then had people randomly kocking on the door at 7.30am or 9pm offering more towels. We heard our door being banged at about 1.30 am and then got woken by a call at 2.15am as security tol dus they had closed our door for us (I know it was left shut and why they called at that time instead of 9am I dont know).

The jacuzzi was broken and could not be turned off. No problem really as a maintenance guy arrived within an hour to fix it - but then randomly knocked on our door 8 days later again at 7.30am to ask if it had been fixed yet - IT IS 7.30 IN THE MORNING: LET ME SLEEP PLEASE.

Sun loungers really uncomfortable except in the Platinum Pool and Platinum Thai Beach Club area over to the right of the beach. The beer is cold and the coctails good.

There is a $20 fine if you lose your room key - fine until the maid service decide to remove our second room key from inside our room whilst we were at the beach. Why? For our security the concierege desk told me. Ok so to improve my room safety you remove from inside the room the key that a non staff person would need to get into the room to steal my stuff? Must be a Mexican thing.

The DVD library for a hotel with over 1500 rooms seemed to consist of 20 DVDs. No big deal as we didnt use them but they brag about it when there is nothing to it.

The gym was grubby and the spa uninviting. My wife tried to book her 4 complimentary treatments only to be told they had only one space over the next 2 weeks. So if we arrive Saturday and try to book Sunday an dyou are full for the next 2 weeks when are we supposed to use the treatments???? Another complaint.

Overall it was nice to be by the water drinking cold beer and coctails but thi splace was a real let down - pity when it has so much going for it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tricky182
Calgary, AB
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I read these reviews all the time and sometimes wonder why people complain so extensively about what they didn't get. What about what you did get??? This place was very big, walking is good for your health, having a walk to the buffet was not that bad felt good made you appreciate your day a bit more, the food was good, "why" because I wasn't cooking. The rooms were lovely, more than what I expected, but really people we go there to be out not in our hotel room. I enjoyed the pools the ocean, and no one ever bothered you there. It was nice to attend a place where we could relax, eat and drink and be with family and friends. Small things like these holidays for some of us are rare and they should be enjoyed. Be glad that you attend places like these where people go out of their way to make you feel like royalty. Thank you Grand Princess Riveria for a beautiful week, I will be back!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ladymiadragon
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The hotel was great. Good beach, good service and good amenities. The food quality was poor at best. We ended up eating nacho chips and guacamole everday. The food items for kids are also limited. I would not go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank avira10
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stayed for 2 weeks in early November.
This hotel is GRAND in 2 ways -
Firstly the scale - it is immense, built like a small village. It is 2 hotels in 1.
Secondly the buildings - the hotel is a beautiful piece of modern architecture. Stunningly built and designed.
The beach is superb, plenty of quiet spots, good bar service, and the front of the beach is so picturesque. The sea bed is rocky - but that is well publicised, and some beach shoes get over that problem.
The middle section of the resort is sculpted around pool life. Plenty of light and shade, quiet spots, and what we referred to as the 'spring break' pool where the animation team work tirelessly all day to entertain people.
The main buildings are very grand, well serviced, the shops are good too.
Lots of bars and the main courtyard nearby - where the evening entertainment schedule plays out.
Entertainment team and guest bands do a sterling job (but guys - make the schedule run for more than a week to avoid longer stays being repetetive).
The rooms are large, fully featured and decadent, The beds were amazingly comfortable! and loved the Jacuzzi baths.
It has many other features - and truly is a 5 star resort.........however.....

A couple of things did niggle us through our stay.
1 - service is often very slow in the bars and restaurants at peak periods - you do not have enough waiters guys, and it lets down a fantastic resort.
2 - buffet food was sometimes cold as previously mentioned - the food quality and selection is very good, but turn up your hotplates! (the Sunset buffet is the better of the 2 to avoid the problems). By our second week we got used to going to dinner later to avoid packed buffets and queues (but then you miss some of the night time schedule outside)
3 - the charge of 20 USD for 1 hr of internet access is pure extortion - especially with a painfully slow connection.....in other hotels I've stayed in throughout the world free wifi in public areas is standard - and there is no excusing such hiked up charges if people want to check their e-mails/facebook etc on their iPhones or BBs
4 - the watersports facility is dubious, free usage was only allowed on certain days (no fluctuation in weather but they use it as an excuse to cancel the free 'non motorised' facilities, yet straight away offer you the paid for alternatives) - niggled us a lot when we wanted to use the hobby cats most days
5 - lastly the hotel is somewhat let down by some of its clientele. I did not go on holiday to constantly hear the VERY loud nonsensical conversations of large groups of Canadian tourists. It's a 5 * resort and sometimes people's behaviour was quite inappropriate. The guys around the 'spring break' pool were great and the younger people there were not to blame, but other groups thought it fine to swear and talk loudly all the time, and go to dinner in gym shorts and baseball caps. I'm no prude, but there is a place and time for some behaviour, if you cannot handle your drink - dont drink it! This is not the hotel's fault - they depend on all tourists, but some people need to think how their behaviour on their vacation may really annoy others and spoil theirs.

This said we did have an amazing vacation, and would return to the hotel.
Outside the resort I strongly recommend 'tulum extreme', 'swimming with dolphins', and of course 'coco bongo'.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shappers00
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Grand Rivera Princess Review
My husband and I enjoyed the Grand Rivera Princess, we were there Oct 10-17, 2010 for our 5th Anniversary. I will mention off the top that this was our 4th trip to Mexico the last 4 years and some may say this is a long review.
We found this resort to be an excellent resort for the amount of money we paid to go. We booked a Jr. Suite room and I emailed the reservation desk twice advising that it was our 5th anniversary and I was looking for either a room upgrade or a special dinner on the beach but I did not receive a response prior to leaving, so when we arrived to the hotel I mentioned this and we were upgraded right away to a Jr. Suite Deluxe room with a apology from the front desk because they did not respond. We arrived prior to 3pm so we had to wait about an hour for our room keys so we just went to the buffet for lunch and had a drink at the bar until 3pm, then we got our keys and let the bellboy know our room number and we were off..it took about 7-8 mins to walk to our room from the lobby.
Rooms
Jr. Suite has a walk in shower, no bath tub.
Jr. Suite Deluxe has a walk in shower and a Jacuzzi bathtub.
Jr. Suite Deluxe with swim out (same as above but with steps to the pool from the balcony) did not see enough people using this for me to feel it necessary to pay the extra money for it.
Platinum Rooms-same as Jr. Deluxe (with or without the swim-up) except that you get bottles of booze, no towel cards, 30 min massage, reserved area on the beach (just a roped off section of chairs beside the rest of the chairs at the beach, not secluded and private) and a concierge. We spoke to a few couples but cannot review this section as we did not have platinum rooms...
I felt the room was nice and cleaned daily with new bed sheets and towels. The maid did a great job though sometimes our room was still not made up before 3pm but I didn’t care I was at the pool almost every day until 6pm unless we had an al a carte dinner to get ready for.
We stayed in room 6124, found it to be smack dab in the center of the resort-7mins to the lobby and restaurants and 7 mins to the beach but we had an outer facing view of the cleared land where the new section is going to be built from our balcony, again we didn’t care as we were only in the room for a little while before bed!
Beach
It was pretty windy each day that we tried to go to the beach so the waves were a bit rough so I’m really not sure how clear the water is, it seemed very shallow (maybe a sandbar) to us compared to other resorts. The sand is beautiful and soft on your toes! Water temperature was spot on perfection! We read a lot of reviews complaining of rocks but we could not find any until we walked past the resort beach area a few minutes, it is worth a walk to the boardwalk..stunning view!
Pools
Lots of quiet pools and a very large main activity pool and a few shallow pools for kids, water was really cold but refreshing in the 35c heat! We were quite surprised to see the pool was very empty until around 12pm..then the chairs started to fill up but there was still no need to reserve chairs as it was low season and hotel was only half full..not all pool bars were open during the week and some pools were closed for maintenance (workers were re-cementing and painting the edges of the pool) Lifeguards always present at the pool. Pools bars open until 6pm but you are welcome to stay at the pool until 8pm.
All the restaurants are smoke free and air conditioned (except Thai). The food at the resort is top notch. I gained weight and was stuffed after every meal. The 2 Main Buffet’s are excellent, many choices for the picky eaters. The Riviera side is green & the Sunset side is orange and are right next to each other. There are also 2 other lunch buffets (Negresco & La Tortuga) by the quiet pools that are Al à cartes in the evening. The breakfast buffet is the same everyday and has everything you need to get your day started. The lunch buffet is fantastic I had chicken wings, tacos, nachos etc, or we would stop by the grill at the pool which made hamburgers and hotdogs from around 11am-5pm. Dinner at the buffet was also fantastic and a different theme each night, though we only ate at the buffet for dinner twice we felt it had a great variety and something for everyone. Now the Al à carte restaurants are where you will find the best food & premium drinks and service. We ate at the Al à carts 4 times and enjoyed each meal. We ate at Miso (Japanese) twice the La Vaqueria (Steakhouse) and Momma Mia (Italian) (See pictures and say Hi to Juan for us..he treated us so well on 3 of 4 dinners with a special surprise for our anniversary) There is also a La Hacienda (Mexican), La Fondue (Swiss), La Olas (Seafood) Le Fleur (International) & Thai Beach Club (Thai cuisine on the beach-not included in any room category) The Le Fleur & Miso are not included for the Jr. Suite room category unless you pay extra, (even if they upgrade your room to Jr. Suite Deluxe for free, you still have to pay) it’s around $20 each. It is true that it is tricky to book your dinners, they have alternating restaurants at this time of year and you have to book them in advance, if you go after 3pm you can book for 4 days. We did not find you had to book 3 days in advance that others have talked about you just need to know what time to go to the desk. We arrived on a Sunday and ate Al à carte on Monday.
Bars
There are 16 in total...I think, we did not get to drink in them all because it was low season and they had most of them closed. We enjoyed drinking at the Plaza Bar in between the main lobbies every night. They had a band or singer every evening and a pre show at 8pm (Fire shoe, fashion show, vendors etc) and the waitress’ are quick and excellent. There is also a staff member that has a booth set up for Flaming Mayan coffee’s, we enjoyed this every night and they also had the best cappuccinos’ at the resort here in the Plaza.
We also enjoyed the 24 hour sports bar. We would go for nachos, popcorn, burgers or hotdogs and watch the hockey game or football game or just catch the scores and play pool.
The disco was great, never got too crowded and it is air conditioned and smoke free, with great music from 10:30-2am. The bar was never packed and the bartender was awesome.
We noticed that unless you ask for your drink by brand you will get local alcohol so just specify you Captain Morgan or Smirnoff. My favourites included the Mango daiquiris and electric lemonades’, bring your Bubba Keg or an insulated coffee mug as these melt fast in the heat.
Animation Team
This is the first time I am mentioning a animation team in a Trip Advisor review but the Princess team deserves the credit. They work so hard and they have 4 teams at the Princess, The Kids Club, Jr. Club, Teen club and the Fun team at the main pool and beach. They start bingo at 10am at the main pool and go all day entertaining with games and dancing and then they finish the night with the Show at 9:30pm in the Theatre, these are the best shows that we have seen in the Caribbean and we saw every show while we were there. Do Not Miss the Broadway show, excellent! Really good chorography and sets with beautiful costumes and they even have audience participation, I am married with Mr. Maracas Oct 15 2010. Participate in the games each day, you win prizes...we came home with 8 t-shirts from the gift shops and 2 hats.
*Just a shout out to the Photo team as well, they did not harass you to have you photo taken with Boba the monkey or the 2 Parrots or the Iguana and did not harass you in the shop when you went to look at your photos at the end of the day. We found the picture quality excellent and the prices a lot cheaper than expected, we bought 2 photos
Must-Do
Take a day and go out to Playa Del Carmen, we found the best pricing on all the gifts you can get at the resort and more. We even made a trip to Wal-Mart and found it cheapest price for top notch Tequila. We have been to 5th avenue 4 times now and are very comfortable walking around. We now stop at Karen`s Grill & Pizzeria and grab a bite to eat every trip..wow great food & such a friendly fun staff.
We did not do any day trips on the vacation but we have in the past and they are excellent and a great way to learn about the Mexican culture and the Mayan people.
Do Not Forget
I will not travel in the Caribbean without a Bubba keg for my drinks (a coffee travel mug also does the trick), they serve the drinks at the beach & pool in small plastic water cups and your frozen drinks melt
I also always bring a variety of Ziploc bags, they come in handy for everything. We use them for snacks from the Buffets or sand or toiletries or gifts..unlimited uses.
I also always bring my own dish soup so I can wash out or mugs or bathing suits in the sinks.
Overview
For us, we had a blast and a memorable 5th Anniversary on this trip and we would go back to Grand Princess Riviera in a heartbeat. Enjoy Mexico and pass on a Hola to all the great hard working staff...we never met a grump or someone who did not return a Hola without a smile! They work so hard and we found them to be very polite and accommodating to our requests.
Please don’t hesitate to email me for more pictures or information.
**We are also posting this on Nov 14, 2010. There was a horrible explosion this morning at the Platinum Lobby and restaurant by the beach due to a natural gas explosion. 7 people died including 5 guests (4 of them Canadians (I’m so sad to hear of the 9 year old boy and his father) and 2 staff members. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families at this difficult time. Please do not let this change your mind about the Princess or going to the Princess they will rebuild and recover from this tragedy quickly.**

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank alienstarburst
UK
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This hotel is the best we have ever stayed in. It was immaculate. The staff would do anything for you, they work very hard so don't forget to tip them as they deserve every peso/dollar. Beach was beautiful and the swimming pools felt like getting in a warm bath. Themed buffets were fantastic. Entertainment was good. Nothing was stolen. I can't fault it. I can't understand the bad reviews. I guess some people will moan about petty incidents.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DoLo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#85 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!