“Not 5 *, but an excellent 4*”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not 5 *, but an excellent 4*”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have just returned from 2 very restful weeks at the GRP. The entertaimment staff are AMAZING. We went with friends and we have 2 disabled young adults in our group and we didnt see them from morning till night as the entertainment team were FAB with them both. To begin with, we kept nipping back from the bar to check they were OK but the team kept assuring us they were fine and they loved having them with them . They allowed them to join in their shows ( which were excellent by the way ) and gave them hotel hats and T shirts!. If the hotel management read this they should give all their entertainment team a raise , I really cant thank them enough.
Other bits....We loved the beach, it was really peaceful at the far end , and yes there was a brown bit due to the mangrove but its easy to avoid. Its also perfect for teaching youngsters to swim as you cannot get out of your depth. Also the coconut slush's they serve at the beach bar are sublime , try one !. Also the liquer coffees in the square are lovely but very strong , beware!.
The rooms are a great size and hubbie and I loved the 2 sinks . Yes we had to call 3 days because our mini bar hadnt been restocked , but so what , they soon came down and were really sorry. My main dissapointment was the linen, the bedding and the towels are deffo' not of a good quality.
The grounds are immaculate , and all the staff are so friendly and happy. We tried 5 of the A la cartes but were not that impressed with the food , and thought the buffet was just as good and varied, also the service is great regardless if you tip or not .
We booked 2 trips through the Thompson rep , Adriana, and both were good , however be prepared for a 4 hour journey to get to Chizien itza , not 2 and a half as she advised ...a very long day , but totally worth it as our guide Rex really knew his stuff.
We spoke with 3 different families who had had falls on the marble so take care whilst wet , but they all said the hotel were fantastic and couldnt do enough for the. We met no one who had suffered any thefts so dont worry about that allegation.
We watched 2 weddings take place on the beach right next to our sunbeds which was lovely.We visited the spa and had massages ..very relaxing and a good price.
To sum up , GO to this hotel , you will be well cared for and return really rested.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank possumaly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,823)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Brampton, On
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

My wife, 2 kids and another family family of 4 travelled to the Princess resort Aug 8-15 and found that the resort is just 2 big. If you are not in a room near the pool or the beach, it is a ten minute walk. Every area of the this place is immaculatly clean and I can see why when you are not aloud to take any food from the buffet to the beach or the pool area.
The only food outside was a BBQ near the Platinum pools. Service is below standards at this resort as if you call the front desk to ask for anything, it takes forever. Our shower leaked into the washroom and sink area and called everyday but no once came and once I gave up on that I just asked the maid to leave a few extra towels and that didn't happen. Oh well!
Beach water was brown and smelled really bad on some days and the alcohol wasn't the greatest!
Know for the main reason I am writing this review!!
Please make sure to have all your food cooked very well done at the a la carte restaurants. My wife ate a piece of Salmon on day 4 at the Steak restaurant and after the first 2 bites, she said it was spoiled and didn't eat anymore. That night she had a fever, diarrhea, and vomiting and lasted till we went home. We flew with WestJet and before we were to get on the plane, she threw up and was not well on the plane before take off. The stewardess noticed and gave her some water and a cold clothe, BUT had to do here job and she called MEDLINX (the airline doctor) We were then told we could not fly back home as they did not want to endanger the rest of the passengers on the flight. I completely understood and started to de-embark the plane with my 2 boys and sick wife.
Westjet took control from there and made sure we were looked after. After we left the plane, we were meet by Mrs. Gomez-Cordova a westjet rep in Cancun and she was AMAZING!!!! Words could not express the gratitude we have for her and all the help she provided us while we were stranded at the airport. While my wife was seeing the doctor at the airport, Mrs Gomez-Cordova called my travel insurance company (Sunlife which were amazing as well) and got us booked into the Marriot down the street from cancun airport and on the earliest flight back to Toronto the next day. My family and I have travelled to the caribbean many times and this was the only time we have had a bad experience, it could happen to anyone!
So, if you do book this resort please make sure tread with caution from our experience!
Westjet and Sunlife took control of the situation and helped us out tremendously.

Also, please be sure to keep an eye on all you personal belongings especially if travelling with kids and there Nineteno DS, Gameboys, or PSP's. I guess when my son put his DS back into my napsack he did not zip it up and someone took it. With what was going on at the time, I was not paying attention as I usaully do.

All in all we figured out that the resort thing is not for us and we enjoying cruising. Thank You to all who post information about various travel experiences on Tripadvisor as it is my # 1 place for travel info.

Regards
D.M.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank DannyBrampton_On
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed 5 nights.

1st off like most I was worried about staying at this hotel due to theft... But on our last day at check out I forgot my cell phone in the room and remembered about an hour later, they had already cleaned the room and I went to the front desk, they told me to go meet the manager at the room and I got my cell phone back in the condition I left it and they found a shirt left behind.

Hotel-- Huge/Nice, bring your walking shoes. It wasn't to bad, but it's hot and wearing flip flops all day your feet start to hurt.

Rooms-- Walk took about 15 mins from the lobby, we had a swim out pool, which was amazing! But the room smelled sooooo moldy! (When I got home everything smelled moldy...) No bugs. We did have a crab knock on our window at 7am. one morning haha which was intresting. The bathrooms... nice, the shower head presser sucks.... I have thick long hair, took forever to shower. We always took out belongings with us, so we had no theft.

Food/Drinks-- Wasn't bad, but wasn't the best. You always found something you liked. Could not wait to get a good meal at home! Drinks were good, Corona on tap... Yum! Frozen drinks were good too!

Nightlife-- Boring.... We did the party hopper one night and it was worth the money! Go to Coco Bongo, it was awesome!

Pool/Beach-- We mainly stayed at our swim out pool, bring a raft to float around on. A couple of times these same kids would jump in where our swim out pool was and were annoying and their parents would just stand there and watch them, clearly I was relaxing on my raft floating by my room and they kids come screaming and splashing water. I was not to happy, but they didn't stay long maybe 15 mins. Parents need to keep their kids in check! The beach was nice, only went there one day. Didn't have any problems with towels. I think the towel hut was open from 8am-6pm.

1 Thank Luvs_Sun24
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

This resort is pretty big and it advertises the best of everything. I traveled with my family and some friends for my daughter's wedding (41 of us) ranging from a 5 yr. old to my parents who are in their 70's, I had my doubts about this resort reading all the bad reviews and somehow put them aside and decided to give it a try since my daughter really seemed to like this place. Well, I knew we were going to have some problems when we started to confirm our reservations and the hotel couldn't located some of the guests reservations considering that they were all booked at the same time. After endeless emails that were never answered and 10 or so long distance calls we decided to wait until our arrival. At our arrival they still couldn't locate some of the guests and came to find out that they were placed on the Sunset side. After 3 hours trying to get our rooms and checking in my parents room was on a third floor with an extremely long and complicated walk to the elevator. We asked for a room change and it took them 3 days for us to finally get them changed into a room closer to the other guests rooms. Most of the people in reception were pleasant except for one who I can really say needs a humans relation course. As far as the installations are concerned they are very well kept and the rooms are clean once you arrive however our rooms were never cleaned before 4:00 p.m. and they smelled of mildew even though we were on the second floor, some reiked of smoke and they could never get the smell out.

Food and restaurants: For such a large group as ours it was impossible to get reservations even for 12 people into any of the restuarants and even if we tried to reserve in advance as they suggested it just never happened. The only restaurant that we dined in was Vaqueria's for 10 people and had to settle for a special menu. So it was buffett every day. The food was varied but after a week they repeat the menus. Unfortunately, this hotel does not cater to large groups.

Drinks: We aren't drinkers, but the alcohol they serve is very cheap. The house wine tastes awful and as far as tequila, rum, gin, vodka's etc. they give you the cheapest on the market. The bartender's have their hands full trying to accomodate all the guests and please everyone they do the best with what the managment provides.

Wedding staff and coordinator: I am pleased with the help my daughter and wife received from the wedding staff trying to coordinate her big day. Thank you for all your help! However, on the day of the event not all went according to plan. They had electrical problems with the equipment at the bar and it wasn't resolved until 20 minutes into the cocktail hour. Unfortunately for our family and guests. They served some snacks and fruit but they also some plates with chocolates and other pastries which on such a hot and humid day even at 5:30 p.m. didn't with stand the heat. My wife asked the personnel to have them removed and offered during the banquet and was completely ignored, such a waste of food and money. The banquet which was scheduled to be from 6:00 to 10:30 with a formal dinner was a complete choas. Thirty minutes into arriving at the banquet room the air conditioner stopped working. After requesting that this be repaired the only response was in less than 30 min. it would be corrected and working .IT WAS NEVER REPAIRED!!!! Our guests were very uncomfortable and the bride was so upset and sick from the heat in that room it was so hot that you could compare it to being on the beach at noon with out air Our food that was supposed to be served during an hour took 3 hours and none of the guests ate a warm meal or at the same time. The cake melted and the coffee service was never offered even though it was paid for. I guess they considered no one wanted coffee with sooooo much heat. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Management staff: After reporting all the mishaps and misfortunes to the coordinator who was not around during this ordeal but left an assisant to take care of things, said that she would look into seeing what could be done to compensate for this. Well needless to say what they offered was a complete joke a meal at one of the restaurants for 15 or 20 people. Give me a break any meal in any of their restaurants except for the Thai is included in your package. When we asked for it to be at Tapas and not Fleurs like they wanted they said that they couldn't accomodate us. Well, the people in consiergs were very nice except for a Ms. Gina Gonzalez who is the public relations person in this hotel. I don't know where she studied but there was no interest in here to better my daughter's situation and all the fustration that her husband and my wife went through trying to resolve these problems that arose. After days and many visits to the consiergs office they finally had an interview with a Mr. Carlos Velazques who is an assistant resident subdirector after he reviewed and according to him made the necessary investigations to verify that all that was reported had occured had the audacity to offer them a measly 500 dollars after we spent thousands to accomodate 41 people for more than a week and had from platinum suites to Jr. Suites and the wedding package alone was customized to our liking. WE SHOULD OF GONE ELSE WHERE. When my daughter explained and tried to reason and compromise for at least something more than that the initial offere was withdrawn and was accused of being rude. Give me a break they ruin your wedding day and make you run around like crazy trying to see someone to make up for the inconvieniences and they expect you to be calm, cool and collected, let me tell you this really STRESSED BOTH MY DAUGHTER, SON IN-LAW AND WIFE OUT! And like they said this is B.S. One good reason never to come back or even recommend this hotel not for large groups or personalized weddings anyway.

The Spa and beauty services are also a rip off. Not all that is offered in the Platium suites is given.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank juanleg58
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

This was my 7th time to this area of Mexico, and my first all inclusive experience (normally I stay at a family time share). Booked with west jet vacations which I would highly recommend, the travel plans were taking care of in one breath.
The resort was large but my friends and I enjoyed walking after dinner so it was perfect for us. Upon arrival we were upgraded from junior suite to a junior deluxe without asking and without any charge. We were thrilled when we found this out us closer to the beach and pool. Room was clean and the maids were excellent.
Staff was very friendly, although I occasionally felt that once they learned you didn't speak Spanish they would speak about you in Spanish you. I never experienced this feeling in Mexico before.
Food was excellent and we had no trouble getting dinner reservations. It was nice that there
was no timeshare so there were no sales people bothering you.
As group of 20 something girls there were a few to many families and honeymooners there for us.
The bars were excellent particularly the lobby bar!
I would not return to this hotel, mainly be because I enjoy trying new places and have been spoiled by my timeshare.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mam23
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

My husband and I traveled to this resort for our 10 year anniversary. We traveled through Air Canada Vacations and we were thrilled with our accommodations and travel. When we arrived, we were greeted by the staff and since we stayed in the Laguna Villa, we were walked to the platinum section of the check in area. We were given a glass of champagne upon our arrival and quickly went through the check in process. Our luggage was brought to our room within 5 minutes of us entering our room. The service throughout our stay was quick and very pleasant.

As Laguna Villa guests, we were given exclusive access to the Laguna pool, which included our own server/butler (bar), snacks throughout the day, as well as concierge service. Our server was Colli and he was amazing. He came over to our cabana beds regularly asking us what we wanted to drink. Eddie, our concierge was amazing. He had booked all our a la carte restaurants for us, before we arrived, as well as our complimentary spa treatments. Eddie was personable and helpful, and we enjoyed seeing him each day. The private pool, cabana beds and loungers were all so beautiful. No children were around. This area was filled exclusively with adults, mainly those on honeymoons and anniversary trips. Each of the a la carte restaurants were delicious. My favourite was Mamma Mia. The buffets were good once we found what we liked. The 24 hour room service came complimentary with the Laguna Villa booking, so we thoroughly enjoyed that 4 times during our stay.

The entertainment in the evening was nice. There was a live band each night in the common area. Shows and discos, etc... you name it. Every worker in the resort, was always so friendly. You could not walk by someone working at the resort, without being greeted with an "Olah!"

The only downside to this resort is the beach. It is a bit rocky and there is not alot of beachy areas that are not taken up by vendors. Having said that, we did buy from the beach vendors.... There are no large waves and when you walk into the water, there are sections that are rocky. We did, however, like the platinum area of the beach where plush loungers were available for us. The Thai beach club was also lovely. Many people were not near it so we had lots of great service, where servers would come and ask us what we would like.

During our entire stay, we tipped with pesos and we tipped everyone who served us. Because we spent most of our time in the Laguna pool, we tipped Colli, the butler everyday. We would give him 100-150 pesos every morning and he would be awaiting our call. He was amazing. Tipping makes the difference, so do it.

I highly recommend this resort. It's clean and lovely.

1 Thank Chickabebe
Verona, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

I spent 2 weeks in this Resort. Only one word: AMAZING PLACE!!! everything is PERFECT. Beach: very nice; food: amazing quality and variety (only one exception is the Fondue restaurant that in my opinion isn't at other restaurant's standard); personnel: very friendly and helpfull. Ok resort is huge but remember that they have a connecting train all around the resort that passes every 8 minutes! i suggest to book the excursions not in the lobby of the resort but in the beach. Say that Paolo from Italy gave this tip to you so you will receive an extra discount and a free bottle of tequila when you will leave!! have fun :)

2 Thank paolo1980187871
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,187 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,451 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,178 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!